ADVERTISEMENT

New arena

Deeringfish

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2008
Does anyone know if the team is practicing in the new arena yet? Seems like the sooner they can get in there the more comfortable they will be as the home team.

As far as I know (which isn't much) Friday, November 2nd will be the great unveiling of WR 2.0 for the general public. Ostensibly an exhibition game vs. McKendree. It will probably be the best-attended exhibition game in Northwestern Basketball history.

Not sure how soon the team will have access to it for practice, though. Maybe Haywood would have some knowledge about that.

Talked to a construction worker exiting the arena before the Michigan game. He said that their crew was down to six "finishers" putting the final touches on the interior. Try as I might, I couldn't get him to let me in for a sneak peek.

As far as I know (which isn't much) Friday, November 2nd will be the great unveiling of WR 2.0 for the general public. Ostensibly an exhibition game vs. McKendree. It will probably be the best-attended exhibition game in Northwestern Basketball history.

Not sure how soon the team will have access to it for practice, though. Maybe Haywood would have some knowledge about that.

Talked to a construction worker exiting the arena before the Michigan game. He said that their crew was down to six "finishers" putting the final touches on the interior. Try as I might, I couldn't get him to let me in for a sneak peek.

Put your hard hat on and a tool bet and you’ll waltz right in.

Do you know what is going on with the Trienens renovation?

I know baseball came up with $3 million on short notice to pay for their new facilities(batting cages etc) in Trienens but I have no idea about other updates

Reactions: lunker35
I know baseball came up with $3 million on short notice to pay for their new facilities(batting cages etc) in Trienens but I have no idea about other updates
Interesting. I wondered what they were going to do with the rest of the building. Basketball only uses the South half of the old football facility.

Probably got the $3 Million from JA Happ in advance of his World Series share.;)

Hmmm...Friday, November 2nd? How convenient...isn't that the night before the Notre Dame game? I assume you'll be attending? I'll be in town as well...would love to make it the front end of an NU double-header. Please let me know your plans. CSC

Interesting. I wondered what they were going to do with the rest of the building. Basketball only uses the South half of the old football facility.

Probably got the $3 Million from JA Happ in advance of his World Series share.;)

I walked down Walker Way before the Michigan game. Some of the Coon Sports Center (the old football weight room) had been demolished. So maybe they're getting rid of that and some/all of the office space? It would be nice for football and, especially, basketball games if they opened that area up.

I should walk by there after work and check on the progress.

I walked down Walker Way before the Michigan game. Some of the Coon Sports Center (the old football weight room) had been demolished. So maybe they're getting rid of that and some/all of the office space? It would be nice for football and, especially, basketball games if they opened that area up.

Open space, only if they use it to park cars. otherwise put a NU themed restaurant there, that even serves alcohol!

Reactions: IGNORE2
Here is a link to the plans for the new facility:

https://www.cityofevanston.org/home/showdocument?id=41351

Thanks! So they're not going to reduce the building's footprint and open up any space. That's too bad, but certainly not unexpected.

Speaking of parking more cars, between the abandoned practice field that now hosts Wildcat Alley and the construction staging area north of the softball field there will be some extra green space in the future. I wonder if NU turns any of that into permit parking?

Reactions: willycat
Anybody with knowledge able to give details of what is exactly happening
to Trienens? Is it Men's/Women's Practice courts and Offices/Lockerooms
for those programs along with indoor facility for Baseball/Softball. I would
imagine some type of (new) weight room for those programs as well??? Thanks

It will have three courts, two basketball and one volleyball. There are two sets of dressing rooms for men's and women's coaches. The basketball and volleyball dressing rooms are in WRA, there is a covered walkway between the practice facility and WRA for them. There will be a new weight room, and trainers room for PT and rehab. No indication that softball or baseball will have any space in that facility, probably there will be space in Anderson for softball.

There is a link to the plans a few posts earlier :rolleyes:

Thanks! So they're not going to reduce the building's footprint and open up any space. That's too bad, but certainly not unexpected.

Speaking of parking more cars, between the abandoned practice field that now hosts Wildcat Alley and the construction staging area north of the softball field there will be some extra green space in the future. I wonder if NU turns any of that into permit parking?
Obviously more parking is needed but still like the idea of a restaurant. How about on top of Walker Plaza?

It will have three courts, two basketball and one volleyball. There are two sets of dressing rooms for men's and women's coaches. The basketball and volleyball dressing rooms are in WRA, there is a covered walkway between the practice facility and WRA for them. There will be a new weight room, and trainers room for PT and rehab. No indication that softball or baseball will have any space in that facility, probably there will be space in Anderson for softball.
What's in that Northern 30% of Trienens that isn't being touched by this renovation? Does anybody know, I've never been in there, so I have no idea myself.

What's in that Northern 30% of Trienens that isn't being touched by this renovation? Does anybody know, I've never been in there, so I have no idea myself.
DocCat1 said it is baseball batting cages. Makes sense.

I remember when the old McGaw Hall had the batting cages below the north bleachers in the dirt.

Reactions: zeek55

When I was up for the Duke game, I found out that the arena was near completion, and once it passed inspection, they could begin moving furniture in. They had started the gutting of Trienens at that time, and they have a target date of May for completion of that.

Reactions: zeek55
Obviously more parking is needed but still like the idea of a restaurant. How about on top of Walker Plaza?

I assume you mean Walker Terrace. That space is definitely underutilized. Though there are constraints as far as not wanting to obstruct the view of the scoreboard from the northwest part of the stadium.

My vision for the future Ryan Field is to have a tiered fan deck behind the south end zone. Maybe a restaurant could be incorporated there, with it looking out onto the field to the north and Central St. to the south.

I walked by yesterday after work. And they are just gutting the Coon Sports Center (south of Trienens), not demolishing it. This is consistent with the posted plans for the building.

I assume you mean Walker Terrace. That space is definitely underutilized. Though there are constraints as far as not wanting to obstruct the view of the scoreboard from the northwest part of the stadium.

My vision for the future Ryan Field is to have a tiered fan deck behind the south end zone. Maybe a restaurant could be incorporated there, with it looking out onto the field to the north and Central St. to the south.
Move the scoreboard or better yet get a larger one. Walker Terrace/Plaza is just an underused eyesore.

Reactions: Ish0522
True but they had FREE beer in that tent!
I think they do free (or 0 marginal cost) booze for those who get admission to Walker Terrace, but I understand they typically have it reserved for various groups. Alumni Club events, or donor cohorts, or other events / groups.

I think they do free (or 0 marginal cost) booze for those who get admission to Walker Terrace, but I understand they typically have it reserved for various groups. Alumni Club events, or donor cohorts, or other events / groups.
And they sit these privileged folks on wooden high school-like bleachers. All 50 of them.

And they sit these privileged folks on wooden high school-like bleachers. All 50 of them.
I think the people there tend to be standing and mingling rather than seated. The primary point of going there I don't believe is typically to watch the game for those folks...

I think the people there tend to be standing and mingling rather than seated. The primary point of going there I don't believe is typically to watch the game for those folks...
If you think that's a good look, guess I'll just disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT