ADVERTISEMENT

NU sells out B1G title game allotment

All caps doesn’t change the fact that one guy cut a back room deal and somebody approved it at the expense of the paying fans who show up.

Unless that donor has 34% of the Purple Points, it’s wrong.

The absolute gall of that donor to buy tickets for the students. How could anyone be so selfish and inconsiderate??

No. It’s not fantastic if it cuts into the paying fan allotment. That means one guy just bought off a third of the tickets. Somebody made that decision. It screwed everybody else. That is backroom
dealing and it is wrong.

So if there is sufficient paying fan interest to buy the entire allotment, there should be 0 student attendance?

Reactions: hoosboot
So what. Is it 34%? Are there caps on the mega-donors? Do they have the right to just kick us all out whenever they feel like it? Are you OK with that?

Do you think the University should have reserved any tickets for students? That's what your beef is. The donor isn't getting the tickets, he's just picking up the tabs for the students. My god man, just give it a rest.

Do you think the University should have reserved any tickets for students? That's what your beef is. The donor isn't getting the tickets, he's just picking up the tabs for the students. My god man, just give it a rest.

I’m not blaming the donor. Understand that.

If the 3400 cuts into the 10000, that’s a problem. That wasn’t supposed to be the deal. That 10000 was for the STH.

The absolute gall of that donor to buy tickets for the students. How could anyone be so selfish and inconsiderate??

You’re not understanding the point. We buy season tickets with the expectation that we get our chance at these allotments. The students get theirs. We get ours. If their 3400 ursurped our ability to get tickets, that’s wrong.

You’re not understanding the point. We buy season tickets with the expectation that we get our chance at these allotments. The students get theirs. We get ours. If their 3400 ursurped our ability to get tickets, that’s wrong.

You still haven't answered the question as to how many student tickets the University should have reserved.

Please explain that. Saying so don’t make it so.

How is it OK for one person to buy a third of all the tickets in a back room deal? Explain that
Any ticket a student would have bought counts against the 10000, regardless who pays for it. All this dude said was “if you are a student, I will pay for your ticket.” In response, a lot of students signed up for a ticket.

You still haven't answered the question as to how many student tickets the University should have reserved.

That was never a question so I don’t know how I could have answered it. They had 10000 reserved. If those are being offered to the STHs, then they should be offered to the STHs. Is that so hard to understand?

So what. Is it 34%? Are there caps on the mega-donors? Do they have the right to just kick us all out whenever they feel like it? Are you OK with that?

What do you have? 2 season tickets for 4 years.

Sorry, I think this was great idea to get the students tickets to go to the game. This is a college game and it should have college students.

Reactions: JVENETOS
I'm not certain but I know bowl games often have separate allotments for student sections. I'm hoping that's the case here.

That said, I'm in the group of people who bought seats for other STHs so we could be sure to sit together, and now I'm not sure we're all going to get in when we could have if we bought separately. Hopefully it works out.

The part that bugs me is that my card has already been run, so I'm out cash for tickets I may not receive. Not in love with using NU's ticket office as a bank.

Same thing happened to our daughter and her friends.

That was never a question so I don’t know how I could have answered it. They had 10000 reserved. If those are being offered to the STHs, then they should be offered to the STHs. Is that so hard to understand?

The University never made any promises about anything to anyone, except that if Students wanted to go they could go for free. Is that so hard to understand?

Big Ten Championship Game requests are processed according to the Wildcat Fund Giving Levels & Purple Points. Placement of an order does not guarantee tickets. Northwestern University (NU) unconditionally reserves the right to reduce orders, or apply refunds in the event of over subscription. Therefore, NU is not responsible for travel arrangements made prior to confirmation of the number of game tickets that you will receive. All patrons will be notified on November 15, 2018 if they will not be receiving all requested tickets.

Reactions: ricko654321
I guarantee you this - at any other school students would account for at least 3400 tickets and likely many more than that. Unless we have a confirmation that season ticket holders are not able to get the tickets they requested because of students - I see only good in the fact that 3400 NU students are planning on going to the game. It can only help future bowl selections. Unless some of us are hoping to play the worst team possible in a bowl game.

Alas, the twisted logic of some “fans”.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fitz51 and catfans5
I'm not certain but I know bowl games often have separate allotments for student sections. I'm hoping that's the case here.

That said, I'm in the group of people who bought seats for other STHs so we could be sure to sit together, and now I'm not sure we're all going to get in when we could have if we bought separately. Hopefully it works out.

The part that bugs me is that my card has already been run, so I'm out cash for tickets I may not receive. Not in love with using NU's ticket office as a bank.

NU ticket agents/reps are horrible.

Reactions: Catslash
All caps doesn’t change the fact that one guy cut a back room deal and somebody approved it at the expense of the paying fans who show up.

Unless that donor has 34% of the Purple Points, it’s wrong.

Who cares? Pat Ryan paid for the field and arena so you’re angry they’re named for him? Make more money and you can buy crap too.

The University never made any promises about anything to anyone, except that if Students wanted to go they could go for free. Is that so hard to understand?

Big Ten Championship Game requests are processed according to the Wildcat Fund Giving Levels & Purple Points. Placement of an order does not guarantee tickets. Northwestern University (NU) unconditionally reserves the right to reduce orders, or apply refunds in the event of over subscription. Therefore, NU is not responsible for travel arrangements made prior to confirmation of the number of game tickets that you will receive. All patrons will be notified on November 15, 2018 if they will not be receiving all requested tickets.

See my post above.

Who cares? Pat Ryan paid for the field and arena so you’re angry they’re named for him? Make more money and you can buy crap too.

Please keep up. It has come up that the 3400 did not cut into the 10000. Bad info to start. I’m extstic with additional purchases for students. Just not purchases that cut into paying fan access, which is now apparently not the case

NU ticket agents/reps are horrible.
I agree that the school’s ticket office is poorly equipped to deal with response to our team’s success. The Rose Bowl allocation was ridiculous. That’s what caused Purple Points to be created in the first place.

Before freaking out, though, remember we are fans of a small school. There will always be tickets available. At the Rose Bowl tickets were going for below face value on game day.

Reactions: Pukecat
Just to make sure we get extra tickets in the right section, the NU section was 111-115 (among others), right?

Talking to some Indy area NU Alums, anyone can purchase tickets when they go on sale in September.
Similarly, here in Tampa we can buy Outback Bowl tix. I’m sure same elsewhere.

So, any of those 47,000 remaining tix could be held locally or brokers that have yet put them up for sale.
AND, there could be that many more OSU and MI fans that annually buy their tix in advance, back in September.

Bingo. Other fan bases buy up tickets as soon as they’re made available to the public early in the season in hopes of their team making it to the game.

If not, you hope it’s a big time match up and you can sell your tickets to at least break even.

Old fans bitching about student interest cutting into their own interests when all we do around here is complain about student attendance and interest in the program.

If I had not been able to get tickets despite being a STH for 20 years, and learned it was directly because of the student allotment, I would not have had one angry word to say, and I'd head to the secondary market for a deal a day before the game.

I have said it before and I will say it again...so many of our fans just plain suck.

Old fans bitching about student interest cutting into their own interests when all we do around here is complain about student attendance and interest in the program.

If I had not been able to get tickets despite being a STH for 20 years, and learned it was directly because of the student allotment, I would not have had one angry word to say, and I'd head to the secondary market for a deal a day before the game.

I have said it before and I will say it again...so many of our fans just plain suck.
Amen.

The secondary market is your friend. The innovations in ticket exchanges have definitely made my life easier, and for the most part I am paying less per ticket (well below face) and seeing more events than I did 10 years ago.

Reactions: nycat33
The secondary market is your friend. The innovations in ticket exchanges have definitely made my life easier, and for the most part I am paying less per ticket (well below face) and seeing more events than I did 10 years ago.

Same here. This isn't the world of $500 tickets from some shady guy you have to talk to two blocks away from the venue anymore - not that there is any shortage of those folks.

So, Bobb and Co., now that the students and the mysterious benefactor aren't to blame for all of us not being able to get the number of tickets we want, who is?

We can't have nice things.

Same here. This isn't the world of $500 tickets from some shady guy you have to talk to two blocks away from the venue anymore - not that there is any shortage of those folks.
I saw Steely Dan (sans Walter Becker) for $35 for 2 including fees a couple of weeks ago. Midweek Yankee games during the school year, NU football tix to leave at halftime to grab a beer, no shortage of goodness from StubHub and SeatGeek!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT