ADVERTISEMENT

Opposing Team Allocations / UW-NU

Because it is the one game that is in any kind of real demand. ST holders have to pay that for all games so are paying $80 per game for EIU, MoO, Duke and Ind to get those at supposedly $80. Those visitors just get the prime game that they want. Reality is under circumstances we have here, those other games are worth a lot less. How much? Try this for an estimate EIU, $10. MoO $20, Duke $30 and IN $50 with WIS worth well over $200

Given the scarcity of tickets for the game, I'm guessing the WI fan who was able to buy 10 tickets was fairly high up the donor food chain at Madison so they "paid" a lot more than $150.

Yes you are talking the average price per game by taking 400 and dividing it by 5. What I am saying is “typically” the Big Ten individual prices will be higher and the non-conference lower but it will still add up to $400.

As an example say $60 for non-conference, $80 for Indiana, and $140 for Wisconsin. Hopefully they will follow the same type of pricing scheme.

The only problem is that ticket prices will not include donations that season ticket holders are asked to pay.
Except, I don't think the end zone seats at North end require donations

Last edited:
Yes you are talking the average price per game by taking 400 and dividing it by 5. What I am saying is “typically” the Big Ten individual prices will be higher and the non-conference lower but it will still add up to $400.

As an example say $60 for non-conference, $80 for Indiana, and $140 for Wisconsin. Hopefully they will follow the same type of pricing scheme.

The only problem is that ticket prices will not include donations that season ticket holders are asked to pay.
Except you are overestimating value of OOC games and underestimating the value of the WIS ticket. I mean EIU $60?? More like $20-30 MofO probably closer to $40 and Duke $50. Then you have IND and maybe $60-70 with all the balance in the WIS ticket

Except you are overestimating value of OOC games and underestimating the value of the WIS ticket. I mean EIU $60?? More like $20-30 MofO probably closer to $40 and Duke $50. Then you have IND and maybe $60-70 with all the balance in the WIS ticket
I’m not setting the prices. Talk to the ticket office.

I’m not setting the prices. Talk to the ticket office.
Asking and getting are two different things. Basically no matter what the WIS tickets price up to about $300 they will all be sold. OOC games they will have trouble no matter what the price, especially EIU (some hope for MofO and Duke I suppose).. Indiana not a lotta draw either as they have little following and coming off bad season

Asking and getting are two different things. Basically no matter what the WIS tickets price up to about $300 they will all be sold. OOC games they will have trouble no matter what the price, especially EIU (some hope for MofO and Duke I suppose).. Indiana not a lotta draw either as they have little following and coming off bad season
I understand what you are saying. I am only talking about the price on the ticket, not the price you pay at stubhub. Please don’t just repeat yourself. Yes, the Wisconsin ticket is much more valuable than the others. Everyone who knows anything about football understands that. But the ticket office will not be pricing those tickets at $300 and the OOC tickets at $20. It will not happen. But yes, the Wisconsin tickets will be worth more than the price on the actual tickets and the OOC may be worth less, depending on demand. I git it. I really do understand. No need trying to educate me on how tickets work.

Here’s a data point: Michigan is pricing tickets for week 1 vs Fresno State at $50-125, and week 2 vs Texas at $200-295. Yes, the disparity in the secondary market will be even greater — the Texas game is now a $600 get-in price — but ticket offices can and do differentiate their pricing for individual games.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Here’s a data point: Michigan is pricing tickets for week 1 vs Fresno State at $50-125, and week 2 vs Texas at $200-295. Yes, the disparity in the secondary market will be even greater — the Texas game is now a $600 get-in price — but ticket offices can and do differentiate their pricing for individual games.
Exactly

I understand what you are saying. I am only talking about the price on the ticket, not the price you pay at stubhub. Please don’t just repeat yourself. Yes, the Wisconsin ticket is much more valuable than the others. Everyone who knows anything about football understands that. But the ticket office will not be pricing those tickets at $300 and the OOC tickets at $20. It will not happen. But yes, the Wisconsin tickets will be worth more than the price on the actual tickets and the OOC may be worth less, depending on demand. I git it. I really do understand. No need trying to educate me on how tickets work.
I am not talking what the price will be on Stub Hub but what it should be priced by NU based on what they are charging for STs in same basic section. Programs differentiate ticket prices. Take a look at the post above about how Mich differentiates on a couple OOC games where one is 4 times another. My original statement was that if the WIS tickets should not be less than $200 for the visitors and that at $150 they were getting a bargain compared to what they are charging us as ST buyers and should be charged a lot more for that game.

Given the scarcity of tickets for the game, I'm guessing the WI fan who was able to buy 10 tickets was fairly high up the donor food chain at Madison so they "paid" a lot more than $150.
Not really as those donations were likely already made for other purposes. Unless they had to make a special extra donation just to buy those away tickets, the $150 per ticket (plus any other charges for handling ) is what the fan paid.

Comparing NUFB ticket prices to those for Michigan is a worthless exercise. A basic understanding of supply and demand makes clear that matching Michigan’s pricing is absurd. NU is significantly smaller, has a smaller alumni base that is more widely spread nationally and internationally, hasn’t been able to build a regional fan base (despite the Chicago’s B1G Team campaign), plus students aren’t on campus for a significant number of home games and have only shown limited interest in attending football games—even when the team is successful. These aren’t the circumstances for increasing ticket prices—even with a smaller stadium. The lakefront stadium is the first reckoning with misguided economics. The only good news is that NU will continue to benefit from conference TV deals. Hopefully the new stadium will be better equipped to deliver high quality TV broadcasts, since I’ll be priced out of attending games in person.

Historically Wisconsin doesn’t really travel well to Evanston

Comparing NUFB ticket prices to those for Michigan is a worthless exercise. A basic understanding of supply and demand makes clear that matching Michigan’s pricing is absurd. NU is significantly smaller, has a smaller alumni base that is more widely spread nationally and internationally, hasn’t been able to build a regional fan base (despite the Chicago’s B1G Team campaign), plus students aren’t on campus for a significant number of home games and have only shown limited interest in attending football games—even when the team is successful. These aren’t the circumstances for increasing ticket prices—even with a smaller stadium. The lakefront stadium is the first reckoning with misguided economics. The only good news is that NU will continue to benefit from conference TV deals. Hopefully the new stadium will be better equipped to deliver high quality TV broadcasts, since I’ll be priced out of attending games in person.
I am talking strictly on the basis of what we are charging this year for ST and the value that should be assigned for each of the tickets. Individual tickets are often different prices for different games at NU with a Mich, WIsc, OSU, IA game going for a significantly higher price than IN, PU etc. Michigans normal ticket price for season tickets is over $600, not including any donations and we are a fraction of that. We are charging $400 for those tickets this year and over half of the value of those tickets is for that one game

I am not talking what the price will be on Stub Hub but what it should be priced by NU based on what they are charging for STs in same basic section. Programs differentiate ticket prices. Take a look at the post above about how Mich differentiates on a couple OOC games where one is 4 times another. My original statement was that if the WIS tickets should not be less than $200 for the visitors and that at $150 they were getting a bargain compared to what they are charging us as ST buyers and should be charged a lot more for that game.
Instead of arguing this, why don’t we see what the face value price of the tickets are and then we can pick up the argument of whether the Price is right. I fully understand what you are saying. But neither of us are pricing the tickets. Maybe you are right and we will see the Wisconsin price at $300 face value for tge North endzone seats. But my guess is they won’t be be pricing $20 face value tickets for the OOC games. I would think $40 face value would be the low end. I would not be surprised to see the Wisconsin ticket having a face value of $200 or $225 but I don’t see them pricing it at $300 (face value). With only 15,000 seats and approximately 4000-5000 reserved for students, band, and opposing fans, and whatever the number of season ticket holders, there will not be very many tickets available for single ticket sales directly from the ticket office. Past practice (thinking Nebraska and Ohio State) has been for the ticket office to discreetly sell premium tickets through secondary markets to get a higher value. I would not be surprised to see the Wisconsin game labeled “sold out” when they open up single ticket sales. Then the ticket office can get $500 for the Wisconsin tickets they held back. That way they can get more than face value. Also they would get rid of unused OOC tickets on the secondary market for $10-$20. That is why I said StubHub. But the official prices of the tickets will not have the same disparity (again it is just my opinion and we will know for sure in about a month).

Reactions: hdhntr1
I think you overreacted here. He was not saying Northwestern was Michigan. Simply he was saying Michigan, like all Power 4 schools, price tickets for each game differently. It was not a comparison of the football programs but just of how tickets are priced.

As an example, shown below are the official prices in 2022 for single ticket games at Michigan. It is obvious that Penn Stare and Michigan State games would be much higher on StubHub while you may get Colorado State, Hawaii, and Connecticut at much lower rates, but the face value of the premium games was only double the face value of “less interesting” games. That is the standard practice in the college football world.

GamePrice (Based on Seat Location)
Colorado State$60-$105
Hawaii$55-$100
Connecticut$55-$100
Maryland$80-$120
Penn State$110-$160
Michigan State$155-$195
Nebraska$75-$115
Illinois$65-$105

Instead of arguing this, why don’t we see what the face value price of the tickets are and then we can pick up the argument of whether the Price is right. I fully understand what you are saying. But neither of us are pricing the tickets. Maybe you are right and we will see the Wisconsin price at $300 face value for tge North endzone seats. But my guess is they won’t be be pricing $20 face value tickets for the OOC games. I would think $40 face value would be the low end. I would not be surprised to see the Wisconsin ticket having a face value of $200 or $225 but I don’t see them pricing it at $300 (face value). With only 15,000 seats and approximately 4000-5000 reserved for students, band, and opposing fans, and whatever the number of season ticket holders, there will not be very many tickets available for single ticket sales directly from the ticket office. Past practice (thinking Nebraska and Ohio State) has been for the ticket office to discreetly sell premium tickets through secondary markets to get a higher value. I would not be surprised to see the Wisconsin game labeled “sold out” when they open up single ticket sales. Then the ticket office can get $500 for the Wisconsin tickets they held back. That way they can get more than face value. Also they would get rid of unused OOC tickets on the secondary market for $10-$20. That is why I said StubHub. But the official prices of the tickets will not have the same disparity (again it is just my opinion and we will know for sure in about a month).
But they have already supposedly priced those tickets to WIS fans at $150 and that is just too low based on the price of $400 for ST in the same area. And generally individual tickets tend to (when you add them up to all games) be price higher than STs. And if NU has them priced at $150,

But they have already supposedly priced those tickets to WIS fans at $150 and that is just too low based on the price of $400 for ST in the same area. And generally individual tickets tend to (when you add them up to all games) be price higher than STs. And if NU has them priced at $150,
I thought that is what I was saying in the first place but I thought I would try to appease you with a $200. Oh well.

What are you smokin?
Apparently you are not paying attention to those in the stands. Wisconsin as close as they are do not travel well to Evanston. The last attendance figures I saw that validate my assertion is 10/8/23 32131 in attendance. Another game was from the Covid year. No official total. While Wisconsin you would think as being a draw, I wouldn’t bank on it.

He's not really. He is a STH there but not a major donor. I was wondering about their process. Maybe they just opened it up to everyone simultaneously w/ 12 ticket max and others didn't jump on it quickly? Seems strange though, if 2k is the total visitor allocation and someone suggested above.

Apparently you are not paying attention to those in the stands. Wisconsin as close as they are do not travel well to Evanston. The last attendance figures I saw that validate my assertion is 10/8/23 32131 in attendance. Another game was from the Covid year. No official total. While Wisconsin you would think as being a draw, I wouldn’t bank on it.
That was a terrible NU team so I would guess that at least 15-thou Badger fans were in attendance.

Since when does Northwestern get to dictate the price that Wisconsin charges its fans for their seat allocation?

Since when does Northwestern get to dictate the price that Wisconsin charges its fans for their seat allocation?
If NU can ask NU fans to make mandatory donations above the ticket price, can they ask the same from Wisconsin fans for their allotment?

They did not play WIS on 10/8/23. The game against WIS was in NOV 11. The game on 10/7/23 was against Howard.

But even if you were talking the 11/11 game, 2023 was a year in which we played in Madison. We did play them Oct 8 2022 in Evanston but remember that that was in the midst of a 1-11 season and second poor season in a row and still recovering from COVID so NU attendance was down and a lot of ST holders did not even show up, Oh, and 2020, they was no attendance because they did not sell ticket and did not allow it. But a more normal example was in 2018 when WIS came to town attendance was 47,330, basically sold out That was a championship season so NU fans were showing up as well. WIS is generally similar to IA in traveling to Evanston

NU dictates the price of the tickets (in the past it was printed on the tickets) and then that price is passed on to the buyer. Wisconsin might be able to charge for handling but that is about it. I have bought away tickets for different venues such as Wisc, IA, IL and ND and that is typically how it was handled. Tickets could be crap (last ones I got for WIS were and I decided I would not go through NU for the allocated tickets for WIS again. Others have indicated here that they paid $80 for MICH gam out of NU allocation last time

If NU can ask NU fans to make mandatory donations above the ticket price, can they ask the same from Wisconsin fans for their allotment?
Not sure but the tickets in the allocation were not in an area that required donation. If seats on W sideline (between the 20s) become available, it will be pretty interesting to see what happens. If WIS fans are able to get a hold of them through NU and they don't have the extra fees added it will piss off a lot of ST holders because the NU fans were required to pay at least $270 for 4 other crap demand games just to get that ticket at $270

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT