ADVERTISEMENT

OSU thoughts

haywood jahblowme

Aug 5, 2010
- similar to iowa game very similar from a stats standpoint except they made 4 more threes than NU (11/29 to NU 7/21). those points are essentially the game. refreshing considering the Cats used to get wiped out in various aspects of the game. defeating because the cats are not winning close games.
- again, LOTS of wide open shots for NU. the boys need to knock those down. other than the made 3s i didn't really like OSU personnel better than the NU personnel
- 13 NU turnovers to OSU 6 - not sure how it equated to points but thats tough. thought Buie was a little reckless and trying to do too much. still nice to get 10 points from him but can tell he is still rusty
- Beran didn't play a ton and had a knee sleeve on. maybe why his production is down?
- cats got beat for way too many fast breaks
- while the Cats finally had the upper hand in fouls in the second half, they didn't take advantage. and the NU guards definitely don't get the same calls that the osu guards get when driving
- miller is turning out to be a very good scorer
- i like that nance drove hard twice and tried to dunk on the big center for OSU. shows he is evolving and trying
- young was solid again. glad to see he is becoming a legit B1G center. people talking about Jones replacing him i don't know. jones has a very long way to go

the cats will get some of these wins. we might not see it come together this year, but good things are coming for these cats. i really like this young core.

I feel the same way.

And I keep forgetting that the Cats will have Audige next year, which you mentioned in another thread. That + Berry will really help, to say nothing of having Gaines back and all the development of the other guys.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
OSU was very physical on defense, especially against our guards. We don't have the backcourt quickness to play like that. Our low post defense was solid. Strategy to make them hit threes was a good one, but Ahrens got hot and Carton was the closer that we don't have. How did that kid get away from Iowa (he's from Bettendorff)?

NU has 11 games left in the regular season. I hope to see improvement and maybe 2-3 more wins. We are close. But another injury would be devastating. I think they were being super cautious with Beran, the announcers said he had a knee contusion from practice.

- similar to iowa game very similar from a stats standpoint except they made 4 more threes than NU (11/29 to NU 7/21). those points are essentially the game. refreshing considering the Cats used to get wiped out in various aspects of the game. defeating because the cats are not winning close games.
- again, LOTS of wide open shots for NU. the boys need to knock those down. other than the made 3s i didn't really like OSU personnel better than the NU personnel
- 13 NU turnovers to OSU 6 - not sure how it equated to points but thats tough. thought Buie was a little reckless and trying to do too much. still nice to get 10 points from him but can tell he is still rusty
- Beran didn't play a ton and had a knee sleeve on. maybe why his production is down?
- while the Cats finally had the upper hand in fouls in the second half, they didn't take advantage. and the NU guards definitely don't get the same calls that the osu guards get when driving
- i like that nance drove hard twice and tried to dunk on the big center for OSU. shows he is evolving and trying
- young was solid again. glad to see he is becoming a legit B1G center. people talking about Jones replacing him i don't know. jones has a very long way to go

the cats will get some of these wins. we might not see it come together this year, but good things are coming for these cats. i really like this young core.
CCC said in the postgame that’s Beran is really banged up. Complimented Beran for giving it a go.

... Buie was a little reckless and trying to do too much. still nice to get 10 points from him ...

Buie was a little bit too much of a freshmen tonight. There was a lot of talking going on, and he got away from his game to prove something for a few too many possessions.

OTOH, Carton was doing the talking so Boo better learn to handle it.

- similar to iowa game very similar from a stat...

Watching Miller Kopp find his footing as a college basketball player has been a lot of fun. I kept thinking that we’re a player or two from winning a lot of games. Buie, Kopp and Beran will be a very solid combo next year. Young will continue to be a nice post player for us. If Berry can come in and be one of those freshman who can contribute, suddenly we’ve got some real scorers, especially if Audige can chip in. The real wildcard is Nance. He relies waaaaaay too much on three-pointers (not his thing) and weird sweeping jumpshots across the lane. It’s like, bruh, you’re 6-10. The potential is there, but the mind and body don’t quite seem caught up just yet.

I like Jones, but he seems to play more like a PF than a center. He’s got size and quicks, strength too, but he doesn’t seem to know where to put his feet or his body on defense, leading to a lot of holding, grabbing, generally being out of position, bad fouls. On a night where the refs sucked as usual, they could have called him for several more fouls.

If he’s going to be a center, that needs fixing. But maybe that’s not his future. Maybe he moves to PF next year?

Watching Miller Kopp find his footing as a college basketball player has been a lot of fun. I kept thinking that we’re a player or two from winning a lot of games. Buie, Kopp and Beran will be a very solid combo next year. Young will continue to be a nice post player for us. If Berry can come in and be one of those freshman who can contribute, suddenly we’ve got some real scorers, especially if Audige can chip in. The real wildcard is Nance. He relies waaaaaay too much on three-pointers (not his thing) and weird sweeping jumpshots across the lane. It’s like, bruh, you’re 6-10. The potential is there, but the mind and body don’t quite seem caught up just yet.

I still think a redshirt year would be good for nance and Greer.

I like Jones, but he seems to play more like a PF than a center. He’s got size and quicks, strength too, but he doesn’t seem to know where to put his feet or his body on defense, leading to a lot of holding, grabbing, generally being out of position, bad fouls. On a night where the refs sucked as usual, they could have called him for several more fouls.

If he’s going to be a center, that needs fixing. But maybe that’s not his future. Maybe he moves to PF next year?

I assume that will have a lot to do with how Big Ten ready Nicholson is. And/or if the grad transfer NU picks up is a Big.

I still think a redshirt year would be good for nance and Greer.

Why would you want to keep Greer around for five seasons? He has not shown an ability to beat out Buie or Spencer. I like him as a backup but if that’s his ceiling, he’s not a redshirt candidate.

if I did shirt him, I would expect a considerable improvement. Fifth years are not guaranteed. Say you shirt him as a junior and see what happens as a senior and then decided whether to bring him back for the fifth year.

The reality is neither will shirt absent.

I assume that will have a lot to do with how Big Ten ready Nicholson is. And/or if the grad transfer NU picks up is a Big.

Why would you want to keep Greer around for five seasons? He has not shown an ability to beat out Buie or Spencer. I like him as a backup but if that’s his ceiling, he’s not a redshirt candidate.

Nicholson shows a lot of promise...

Damn if Nicholson can step in and contribute right away, we're going to have some outstanding size next season. Break him into the rotation at the 5 with Young and Jones, with the latter transitioning more to the 4. This year at times when we went "small" we had either Nance or Beran in the 5 role, and at 6-10 and 6-9 we still didn't give up much height, though can't say the same in the weight department. We will have a lot of good pieces.

if I did shirt him, I would expect a considerable improvement. Fifth years are not guaranteed. Say you shirt him as a junior and see what happens as a senior and then decided whether to bring him back for the fifth year.

The reality is neither will shirt absent.
Greer may not be here next season.

The difficult truth about this program is that it is unlikely to out-talent most teams in the B1G in the near future. So, we have to hope that the pieces grow together and the whole becomes greater than the sum of the parts. We have some nice pieces, but there's not much of a sign of first team all-conference talent yet, so the team needs to learn to be much more efficient together on both ends of the floor to move up in the conference standings next year.

I assume that will have a lot to do with how Big Ten ready Nicholson is. And/or if the grad transfer...

I agree and that’s basically what I was considering. The video itt looks nice, but it’s hard to draw conclusions when he so obviously towered above his competition.

The difficult truth about this program is that it is unlikely to out-talent most teams in the B1G in the near future. So, we have to hope that the pieces grow together and the whole becomes greater than the sum of the parts. We have some nice pieces, but there's not much of a sign of first team all-conference talent yet, so the team needs to learn to be much more efficient together on both ends of the floor to move up in the conference standings next year.

agree with this. I see more young talent than ever but the big ten is loaded with top talent so all we’ve done is close the gap even as the conference gets stronger. But our formula to have things gel and teams stay healthy and overachieve as upperclassmen. If things don’t gel (2018) or stay healthy (2019 Law), the talent gap gets magnified. Next level is to get big ten talent on par with Indy, Purdue, Iowa, Minny, Illinois. In today’s AAU world and under the table recruiting practices, remains to be seen whether a program playing by the rules can do that. I think the shot is if we get back to the tourney a couple times, get big crowd support and land some top 50 recruits to pull us along side most big ten program talent. Then we still need to stay healthy, gel and execute but at least not everything needs to go perfect.

Reactions: hoosboot
agree with this. I see more young talent than ever but the big ten is loaded with top talent so all we’ve done is close the gap even as the conference gets stronger. But our formula to have things gel and teams stay healthy and overachieve as upperclassmen. If things don’t gel (2018) or stay healthy (2019 Law), the talent gap gets magnified. Next level is to get big ten talent on par with Indy, Purdue, Iowa, Minny, Illinois. In today’s AAU world and under the table recruiting practices, remains to be seen whether a program playing by the rules can do that. I think the shot is if we get back to the tourney a couple times, get big crowd support and land some top 50 recruits to pull us along side most big ten program talent. Then we still need to stay healthy, gel and execute but at least not everything needs to go perfect.
That is our dilemma. Our players are definitely improving in terms of talent but most other teams are improving at the same pace so the Delta hasn't closed much.

Most of the Big Ten schools play by the rules. The conference expects it. Compared to conferences like the SEC and Big 12, the BT schools are angels.

By the way, every fan thinks their school is playing by the rules and every one else is cheating.

Buie was 3/12. All his floaters missed. One disappointment was seeing Nance going back to taking most of his shots from 3. 4 of 7. Not going to get it done with those numbers. And while Miller is becoming a good scorer, it is still in the first half. In second, he sort of disappears

Buie was 3/12. All his floaters missed. One disappointment was seeing Nance going back to taking most of his shots from 3. 4 of 7. Not going to get it done with those numbers. And while Miller is becoming a good scorer, it is still in the first half. In second, he sort of disappears

while Nance is concerning i wouldn't be surprised to see Bernan bump him down in minutes. he can just have better production. seems like nance's numbers are the same regardless of minutes. if nance changes his mindset then even better,

Interesting video. Kid definitely has reach and decent footwork. Not an explosive jumper by any means. Will have to get off the floor faster/higher to be a factor in the Big Ten. Which is possible with proper conditioning and drills.

reminds of the big Teske at UM, especillay with ally oop finishes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT