ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baseball Free Agents

McCann regressed BADLY in the 2nd half. I really like him as someone who works with the pitchers and Gio told me he's phenomenal with that, but if you can add a Grandal, you do it IMO. McCann is the perfect guy to catch 60 games, DH 25 and play half the game while working with the staff daily IMO.
Makes sense, 24.

Makes sense, 24.

So - once acclimated, how do you see top of the order, assuming to major FA bat?

Robert
Moncada
TA
Jimenez
Abreu

W Maddy eventually batting 9

Now, if you add JD as a FA? JD then Abreu, or maybe drop Moncada down and move everyone up? I would consider this if Moncada keeps high K ratio.

So - once acclimated, how do you see top of the order, assuming to major FA bat?

Robert
Moncada
TA
Jimenez
Abreu

W Maddy eventually batting 9

Now, if you add JD as a FA? JD then Abreu, or maybe drop Moncada down and move everyone up? I would consider this if Moncada keeps high K ratio.

Yeah, everyone is pencilling in Madrigal for leadoff but I'd have him at 9 with Robert at leadoff personally. That's a top of the lineup with a LOT of firepower. That said I've watched Robert a lot (I'm a weirdo and have the MiLB package so I'd watch all of his games) and I see him really struggling off the bat. He is pull happy and will be fed a steady diet of breaking pitches off the plate that he'll swing through with his current approach. His talent is by far the best in the system, Moncada included though IMO

Reactions: IGNORE
So what are the chances of Hoerner winning that World Series MVP, in his way to NL Rookie of the Year honors?

Willy, do you think the Ricketts will use all this post season money instead of taxpayer money and just return it to the state? I mean, the Ricketts wouldn’t want the stigma of taxpayer money funding their private sports enterprise, only low life owners do that.

So what are the chances of Hoerner winning that World Series MVP, in his way to NL Rookie of the Year honors?

Willy, do you think the Ricketts will use all this post season money instead of taxpayer money and just return it to the state? I mean, the Ricketts wouldn’t want the stigma of taxpayer money funding their private sports enterprise, only low life owners do that.
You misinformation/lies sound a lot like another un-informed board guy.

You misinformation/lies sound a lot like another un-informed board guy.

Oh, your right, my bad. I just assumed the Cubs would be in the post season during their dynasty. Never mind. ;)

@chicagocatfan24 willy is ready to debate the Ricketts access to public funding - not my area of expertise. I’m better at riling them up :p

Hey, where did Willy go? I just get him back a and you guys beat him up right out of the gate. Poor Willy.

As it turns out, Patrick Corbin was the top available free agent. What a World Series.

Has a free agent deal ever worked out better than 7 years, $210 million for Max Scherzer?

Reactions: Fitz51
As it turns out, Patrick Corbin was the top available free agent. What a World Series.

Has a free agent deal ever worked out better than 7 years, $210 million for Max Scherzer?

Scherzer is the best free agency signing of all time.

Fun series, interesting season. Love the whole Baby Shark thing because it’s so pure and organic, always enjoy when a franchise wins its first. Lots to come this winter!

Reactions: IGNORE
You act as if a player's value is solely based by how many teams are in a position to bid for him and how much cash they have in the bank. Assuming baseball teams continue to operate as rational profit making businesses (an assumption that maybe I should question based on your insights), then their demand for a particular player ultimately will be driven by their perception of how much marginal profit they will generate by signing that player (i.e his intrinsic value). In order to generate more profit, a team has to win more. So if a team is going to sign a player to the richest contract in baseball history, doesn't it stand to reason that they would expect that player to be among the best players in baseball and one that can lead them to a World Series? We can make this argument a lot more complex but fundamentally I just don't agree with the premise that just because a team can afford to sign a player to the richest contract in baseball that they should do it. The contract has to provide value for the franchise and that value is tied to the player's ability to help them win. If Machado and Harper are not cornerstone players World Series leading type players (My contention), then they certainly don't deserve anywhere close to the type of market setting contracts that their agents are trying to get them.

Where are Machado, Harper and Trout for this post season?

I agree with you on Madrigal. You don’t draft a guy at 4 who has even a remote chance of becoming a utility player. It’s early but this looking like another questionable first round pick by Hahn.

Regarding Hoerner, you should take a closer look. I think the early buzz about him is a reflection of him having much more upside than originally contemplated. The early reviews suggest he may very well stick at short and that he could have much more power(20+ HR power) upside than anticipated. I would not be surprised if he ends up being a starter at short or second for the Cubs as early as 2020.

Guess Cubs got stuck w that marginal utility player. And hoerner - how did he do this year? Will be funny if madrigal bumps hoerner out of the depth chart.

This post sounds like the dreams of an optimistic Sox fan, not the opinions of an objective baseball blogger. With or without Machado I think they struggle to get to 75 wins this year and I have serious questions about the quality/health of the Sox prospects outside of Jimenez and Cease. If Hahn hadn't made that trade with the Cubs, I think he would have a lot of heat on him right now. His drafting has been mediocre at best and his other trades don't look like good values where things stand right now.

Hmmmmm….75 wins ehhhh. No other young talent on the farm huh. Trades not looking so good, mmmhmmmm.

I think this is enough evidence to refute any notion that corbi knows anything about baseball. Your welcome.

I just reread almost this entire thread at the airport. Traveling to NYC for work aka to sniff jocks as Corbi would put it.

Nevertheless, I love yucking it up about baseball. Lot of good takes and bad takes by all of us in this thread

On my flight to Houston, lots of Sox hats and jerseys. I think the south side will be well represented.

I just reread almost this entire thread at the airport. Traveling to NYC for work aka to sniff jocks as Corbi would put it.

Nevertheless, I love yucking it up about baseball. Lot of good takes and bad takes by all of us in this thread
What were the best and worst takes?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT