ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baseball Free Agents

Oh Willy Willy my friend, I don’t posts opinions to get likes and be in the group think. I take stands, not always right, far from it. However, I do find it golden that you of all people give me a shot for making repetitive posts.

Potholes, small stadium, parking points, Cushing sucks, taxpayer stadium, big wigs squeezing out us poor loyal fans in the best seats, any of this ring a bell. ding ding
Well you will never see me post more then two times on particular subject, so I'll leave it at that. Seems like a lot of others agreed that dumping Cushing was the right thing to do. You can ask quite a few others about the parking rules but you will have to go to the fringe lots because they are no longer allowed to park in the west lot. I will just ask who built that ballpark on the Southside? Answer, it wasn't Reinsdorf's cash.

If you want to get into owners and how they use their money, I'd tread lightly before we bring up the Ricketts.
While I don't agree with the Ricketts family politics, it's their money. Reinsdorf, on the other hand took mostly taxpayer cash to build the new ballpark and cut a deal that just about rewards him for low attendance.

While I don't agree with the Ricketts family politics, it's their money. Reinsdorf, on the other hand took mostly taxpayer cash to build the new ballpark and cut a deal that just about rewards him for low attendance.

As most owners these days would in any sport. Much like your views on the Ricketts' politics, why am I supposed to care how a stadium was funded 30 years ago? Like how is that supposed to affect my *baseball* fandom?

Reactions: IGNORE
As most owners these days would in any sport. Much like your views on the Ricketts' politics, why am I supposed to care how a stadium was funded 30 years ago? Like how is that supposed to affect my *baseball* fandom?

I can honestly say Willycat is the only person I've ever encountered who has mentioned this in a Sox vs. Cubs argument.

30 years ago was just the beginning. A few years back the states taxpayers paid for a new bar/restaurant at "Arrow-Down" ballpark and the Sox only have to pay a percentage to the state when their attendance exceeds a certain figure. Ah, that Reinsdorf guy, what a deal maker he is!

30 years ago was just the beginning. A few years back the states taxpayers paid for a new bar/restaurant at "Arrow-Down" ballpark and the Sox only have to pay a percentage to the state when their attendance exceeds a certain figure. Ah, that Reinsdorf guy, what a deal maker he is!

So?

I have been saying for years the Cubs admin and their fans are not very smart. Kudos for working the system. If you don't like it, move or vote or do both.

Saying hello from NWI - free all all the garbage financial crap of Chicago and Illinois while enjoying the best they have to offer. And not sorry for that either.

I can honestly say Willycat is the only person I've ever encountered who has mentioned this in a Sox vs. Cubs argument.
Willy said earlier that he never posts more than twice on a particular subject. After I picked myself up off the floor, I realized Willy got the pipe out early this morning so I gave him a pass on archive digging.

Oh, no!

Seriously, the only thing I care about in relation to the ballpark on the south side is that it was a monstrosity when built and is still a subpar facility.

But please, continue on with your arguments about taxes and naming rights. What’s next, the quality of the gift shops?

Also, just to be clear, **** Jerry Reinsdorf.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
And just for giggles, willycat mentions parking 103x since the new system started keeping limited archives (they don't go back to the switch date, but they go back far enough).

In the 103x, many are not about his rant. But, dozens are. Dozens and dozens.

Reactions: chicagocatfan24
Oh, no!

Seriously, the only thing I care about in relation to the ballpark on the south side is that it was a monstrosity when built and is still a subpar facility.

But please, continue on with your arguments about taxes and naming rights. What’s next, the quality of the gift shops?

Also, just to be clear, **** Jerry Reinsdorf.

Preach!!!!!

They can live with McCann even if all he brings is an eventually average for a catcher bat. Other needs are higher on the list.

McCann regressed BADLY in the 2nd half. I really like him as someone who works with the pitchers and Gio told me he's phenomenal with that, but if you can add a Grandal, you do it IMO. McCann is the perfect guy to catch 60 games, DH 25 and play half the game while working with the staff daily IMO.

McCann regressed BADLY in the 2nd half. I really like him as someone who works with the pitchers and Gio told me he's phenomenal with that, but if you can add a Grandal, you do it IMO. McCann is the perfect guy to catch 60 games, DH 25 and play half the game while working with the staff daily IMO.

I agree w this. McGann is more important for his battery work. And Collins does not look like the answer, nor Seby. The Sox need to go outside the organization again. Wellington looked good on paper but... Try and try again.

Reactions: Fitz51 and IGNORE
For Willycat:

"The Ricketts have rehabilitated themselves in the last few years by making smart moves, like hiring Theo Epstein as president of baseball ops and Joe Maddon as manager. But these are all moves they want to get almost anyone but them to pay for: They demanded $150 million in public subsidies in addition to a cut of amusement-tax revenue in perpetuity."

https://thinkprogress.org/meet-joe-...ds-massive-taxpayer-subsidy-for-bd02276c9025/

Isn’t that ironic.

For Willycat:

"The Ricketts have rehabilitated themselves in the last few years by making smart moves, like hiring Theo Epstein as president of baseball ops and Joe Maddon as manager. But these are all moves they want to get almost anyone but them to pay for: They demanded $150 million in public subsidies in addition to a cut of amusement-tax revenue in perpetuity."

https://thinkprogress.org/meet-joe-...ds-massive-taxpayer-subsidy-for-bd02276c9025/

But um um um GUARANTEED TAXES STADIUM!

And just for giggles, willycat mentions parking 103x since the new system started keeping limited archives (they don't go back to the switch date, but they go back far enough).

In the 103x, many are not about his rant. But, dozens are. Dozens and dozens.
Guess you can ask the many others , who have had their parking privileges cancelled, how they feel about the "new system". FWIW, they have treated long time supporters of NU like sh-t!

Reactions: julescat
Guess you can ask the many others , who have had their parking privileges cancelled, how they feel about the "new system". FWIW, they have treated long time supporters of NU like sh-t!

But what about the Ricketts using $150MM in govt. subsidies to finance Wrigley Field renovations?

I would have to ask them since they didn’t post about a hundred times complaining.

If you own a pro sports franchise, you’d be negligent if you did not try to negotiate a public subsidy. It’s up to the local and state leaders to say “no.”
it is a no-lose situation. The politicians simply can't afford to let a team leave, for 'biggus d1ckus' reasons. and, like free agents, there are dozens of other cities that will step up the instant that the incumbent city doesn't. Personally, as a near-lifelong resident of the rust belt, I hate it. All of these me too southern cities that must have a team, and if they don't get an expansion franchise, they steal one from the north. Here in Balt, the owner of the ramshackle Pimlico racetrack has extorted a deal with the city and state for an event that is for ONE DAY A YEAR. Can't wait to get the tax bill for that #@%&*

I'd like to start a discussion about 2020 MLB free agents, but I think I might do it on the rant forum, where it might be more appropriate.

Why? This thread has lasted for 16 pages, is better than the FB stuff and is mostly ranting.

Reactions: phatcat
I'd like to start a discussion about 2020 MLB free agents, but I think I might do it on the rant forum, where it might be more appropriate.

Bombs away, would love to talk some more baseball. Just want @willycat to give his take on the Ricketts family using government subsidies to finance Wrigley Field renovations first

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT