ADVERTISEMENT

Our Players "Need Work"

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
Work that is almost complete
1. Taylor: Work in process but almost complete. Starting to settle in defensively and starting to take his place in the offense.
2. Turner: Needs work on Offensive confidence. Dude hits nothing but net pregame. Needs work to bridge the pregame to a game. Like Taylor, his work on defense is almost complete.

3. Gaines -Almost complete and he still has 2.5 years left. An incredible defender now as he picked up where Sanjay left off. But when Pardon gets doubled and passes the ball out to Gaines, who is wide open, he gotta put that shot up, like Sanjay did at times. Gaines is realizing that he can't beat anyone off the dribble without getting his shot blocked against the BIG opponents but he has opportunity to take those outside shots that he is fearful of taking right now. Sanjay took 2 years and then found his range in the corners with 3pters. We had another great defender about 8-10 years ago ( I forget his name), a black player is how I can describe him. But he also learned to take 3s in his last year and it really opened things up. He played in the Shurna years. Gaines will eventually have the confidence and knowledge to be more comfortable on offense and once he is, look out.

"Need Serious Work"
1. Nance - I don't get the impression that he thinks he belongs. Really unsure of defense and offense. Not sure of the redshirting rules but he isn't ready because he appears soft and clueless. Surprising, since he has a nice shot and was raised with basketball.

2. Kopp - He needs just a bit of work on offense as he has shown that he loves offense and it's obvious he will be a goodie. But he needs "Incredible work" on defense. He simply could not play last night after Collins yanked him a second time as his defense needed serious work.

Finished Work
1. Pardon- Not sure where he has developed his footwork and shot around the basket but he is unstoppable. His defense is also optimized.
2. Law -Nuff said

Incomplete
1. Greer. We hardly know him.

Abandoned work
1. Ash - a senior and still lost out there. Awful minutes last night. Not sure if he just isn't prepared or what???

1. Taylor: Work in process but almost complete. Starting to settle in defensively and starting to take his place in the offense.
2. Turner: Needs work on Offensive confidence. Dude hits nothing but net pregame. Needs work to bridge the pregame to a game. Like Taylor, his work on defense is almost complete.

3. Gaines -Almost complete and he still has 2.5 years left. An incredible defender now as he picked up where Sanjay left off. But when Pardon gets doubled and passes the ball out to Gaines, who is wide open, he gotta put that shot up, like Sanjay did at times. Gaines is realizing that he can't beat anyone off the dribble without getting his shot blocked against the BIG opponents but he has opportunity to take those outside shots that he is fearful of taking right now. Sanjay took 2 years and then found his range in the corners with 3pters. We had another great defender about 8-10 years ago ( I forget his name), a black player is how I can describe him. But he also learned to take 3s in his last year and it really opened things up. He played in the Shurna years. Gaines will eventually have the confidence and knowledge to be more comfortable on offense and once he is, look out.

"Need Serious Work"
1. Nance - I don't get the impression that he thinks he belongs. Really unsure of defense and offense. Not sure of the redshirting rules but he isn't ready because he appears soft and clueless. Surprising, since he has a nice shot and was raised with basketball.

2. Kopp - He needs just a bit of work on offense as he has shown that he loves offense and it's obvious he will be a goodie. But he needs "Incredible work" on defense. He simply could not play last night after Collins yanked him a second time as his defense needed serious work.

Finished Work
1. Pardon- Not sure where he has developed his footwork and shot around the basket but he is unstoppable. His defense is also optimized.
2. Law -Nuff said

Incomplete

Abandoned work
1. Ash - a senior and still lost out there. Awful minutes last night. Not sure if he just isn't prepared or what???
Nash? He is one of the few that really developed under BC

Reactions: NUCat320
Re Redshirt rules, one you play you lose the ability to red shirt. However, if you are injured and play less than 30% (I think) of the season's game you can apply for a medical red shirt. Don't think this applies to Nance as he has now played in about the 30% and isn't hurt.

"Need Serious Work"

Finished Work
2. Law -Nuff said

Incomplete

Abandoned work
For the first time in my life I have disagreed with the Almighty Turkamania! Ash got us back in the game after we were down by ten! Ash can take us to the NCAA title game possibly against Duke,if he gets healthy soon! Remember the Alamo! Remember Bowser! Remember Wrassler! And for heaven's sake, remember Jordan Ash!

Wow... Ash played 8 minutes with 0 points and 0 assists. Turner's 5 straight transition points were the highlight of the comeback (Laws' 3s might win that, actually). We could use more help off the bench at guard, including Jordan, but without a major improvement (or injury)his next start will be on senior day. We could use him, so I hope I am wrong.

For the first time in my life I have disagreed with the Almighty Turkamania! Ash got us back in the game after we were down by ten! Ash can take us to the NCAA title game possibly against Duke,if he gets healthy soon! Remember the Alamo! Remember Bowser! Remember Wrassler! And for heaven's sake, remember Jordan Ash!
You must have been watching a different game. He was pulled due to multiple turnovers and awful defense. Turk is right.
As Collins gets more comfortable with his team, i think Ash will barely play. We are 6 solid. And we might be able to get away with playing Benson as well, as we did last night.
Kopp and Nance are interesting but they will need to be fast learners to be more competitive defensively.

I see signs of improvement in Kopp, and I'm hopeful that this taste of conference play will be a good learning experience for him and it can carry over into some better performances in the rest of the noncon schedule.

NU needs him to be able to play 15-20 minutes a game and sub in for any of Turner, Taylor, Law and Gaines.

You must have been watching a different game. He was pulled due to multiple turnovers and awful defense. Turk is right.
As Collins gets more comfortable with his team, i think Ash will barely play. We are 6 solid. And we might be able to get away with playing Benson as well, as we did last night.
Kopp and Nance are interesting but they will need to be fast learners to be more competitive defensively.
Your response is a laugh! As a former division one athletic letter winner at Northwestern,I can say with certainty we are gonna need all nine guys. Think of trying to walk in cement! That is how the starters legs will feel come January if we played six guys. Never happen. Heck,we almost lost Pardon and the season yesterday. Ash will be playing 20-25 minutes a game come January. Greer, Benson will also be playing a minimum of 15 minutes a game. I guarantee it or my name ain't Wrassler. Guys will literally not be able to run up the court in a six man rotation,or even a seven man rotation. Let alone overtime games.

Your response is a laugh! As a former division one athletic letter winner at Northwestern,I can say with certainty we are gonna need all nine guys. Think of trying to walk in cement! That is how the starters legs will feel come January if we played six guys. Never happen. Heck,we almost lost Pardon and the season yesterday. Ash will be playing 20-25 minutes a game come January. Greer, Benson will also be playing a minimum of 15 minutes a game. I guarantee it or my name ain't Wrassler. Guys will literally not be able to run up the court in a six man rotation,or even a seven man rotation. Let alone overtime games.
Ash is back to wearing the compression sleeve on his leg. Clearly not 100% and likely won't be any time soon.

Nash? He is one of the few that really developed under BC
Yes, Nash. Him and Sanjay were great defenders and learned to take the open 3. It proved deadly for our competition in both situations.
Gaines is becoming a Sanjay 2.0. The difference is that Gaines is tentative or reluctant to shoot the open 3. When Pardon was doubled, twice in the second half, he passed out to Gaines but Gaines stood down on the wide open shots and passed the ball like a hot potato. Maybe his shot is awful, dunno. But he has time to develop one. Developing an outside shot can be had within 12 months. No basketball moves needed. I mean, he belongs anyways, but if we get him to enhance his game by taking open shots like Nash and Sanjay then LOOK OUT. Michigan left him alone out there and played 5 on 4 otherwise, sorta like how Collins left Simpso wide open the second half and Bielen had to take him out of the game. Remember, when Pardon got hurt, Bielen chose Gaines to shoot the free throws. Any outside game from him and we would be deadly. Until then, Taylor, Turner, Law will be playing 5 against 4 and have challenged shots out there. To Taylor and Law's credit they were stepping back and hitting haymakers 2 or 3 feet beyond the perimeter.

Yes, Nash. Him and Sanjay were great defenders and learned to take the open 3. It proved deadly for our competition in both situations.
Gaines is becoming a Sanjay 2.0. The difference is that Gaines is tentative or reluctant to shoot the open 3. When Pardon was doubled, twice in the second half, he passed out to Gaines but Gaines stood down on the wide open shots and passed the ball like a hot potato. Maybe his shot is awful, dunno. But he has time to develop one. Developing an outside shot can be had within 12 months. No basketball moves needed. I mean, he belongs anyways, but if we get him to enhance his game by taking open shots like Nash and Sanjay then LOOK OUT. Michigan left him alone out there and played 5 on 4 otherwise, sorta like how Collins left Simpso wide open the second half and Bielen had to take him out of the game. Remember, when Pardon got hurt, Bielen chose Gaines to shoot the free throws. Any outside game from him and we would be deadly. Until then, Taylor, Turner, Law will be playing 5 against 4 and have challenged shots out there. To Taylor and Law's credit they were stepping back and hitting haymakers 2 or 3 feet beyond the perimeter.
Wildcats only play five games in the next month! We are making a run in January when Ash gets back to full speed. Hopefully, we don’t have anymore injuries and even get back Falzon

Wildcats only play five games in the next month! We are making a run in January when Ash gets back to full speed. Hopefully, we don’t have anymore injuries and even get back Falzon

I hate to say this but the wrestler makes a point that it’s good that Ash is hurt now instead of during a heavy run of games. We need the depth.

I hate to say this but the wrestler makes a point that it’s good that Ash is hurt now instead of during a heavy run of games. We need the depth.
Except that it isn't like he just got "hurt", he's still recovering from surgery in the off season. He may not recover at all this year. Gotta feel bad for him.

I like this team! We need every guy, including Greer! We can make a run deep into the NCAA Tournament with these guys. That Michigan game showed us how good we are

Except that it isn't like he just got "hurt", he's still recovering from surgery in the off season. He may not recover at all this year. Gotta feel bad for him.
Ash isn't 'hurt'. He was running full speed up and down the hardwood in the last game before he got pulled for awful play on offense and defense as if he was thoroughly unprepared. When he got yanked, he was never going to be allowed back on the court during the last game.

Ash isn't 'hurt'. He was running full speed up and down the hardwood in the last game before he got pulled for awful play on offense and defense as if he was thoroughly unprepared. When he got yanked, he was never going to be allowed back on the court during the last game.

this is not true (he is not hurt, but he is not 100% or even 70% and feeling good)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT