ADVERTISEMENT

Paging Our Vols Friends

Using Sandusky rumors to attack him (based on the third-hand testimony of one person) as a protector of child rapists is disgusting. Tennessee fans may actually be the worst in the SEC.
Now you understand why I have been saying that this is not as good of a job as everyone was thinking and certainly not as good as the delusional UT fans believe. And yes, the Sandusky thing was just a lever in order to force the AD to get Gruden... or Frost... or Buddha... or Trump... or Rockne... or one of the many others that have as their sole purpose to come to Knoxville and coach the Vols. And it will only get worse for whoever is hired as they move from savior to satan in record time when they do not bring the NC to UT.

This is the fan base that drove Fulmer away after one bad season saying that "A good coach would have won several NCs at UT - not just one."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tennessee-fans-don-apos-t-210932258.html

Last edited:
@GlideCat , or anyone, what's the story of Derek Dooley's hiring? He wasn't a winner at LaTech, fer chrissakes. I know it's considered a disaster in retrospect - was it considered a disaster the day he was announced?

This Schiano situation is truly remarkable.

@GlideCat , or anyone, what's the story of Derek Dooley's hiring? He wasn't a winner at LaTech, fer chrissakes. I know it's considered a disaster in retrospect - was it considered a disaster the day he was announced?

This Schiano situation is truly remarkable.
No. He was Vince Dooley's son and had the pedigree. He was young and the Vols fans considered him the next great thing... for about a year.

That being said...

It turns out that Greg Schiano's name did specifically come up in the Sandusky investigation.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tennes...-schianos-reputation-mob-anger-015951492.html
“Court documents of the deposition released in July 2016 said McQueary indicated Bradley said Schiano went to him in the early 1990s ``white as a ghost and said he just saw Jerry doing something to a boy in the shower.''

This may be hearsay but, as was the case before, I tend to believe McQ. Anyone near that program likely knew what was going on and either helped cover up or ignored what Sandusky was up to. Hell the police force almost charged him in 1998. Good for Tennessee for rejecting him.

Ped State should have gotten the death penalty. It is atrocious that their fans still turn a blind eye.

The child rape at Ped State is unforgivable. Schiano was there when it was going on. There is no reason for Bradley to make up the story about Schiano coming to his office after seeing the Sandusker in action. I hope his inaction and coverup haunts him for the rest of his days. Apparently the Tennessee fans are taking a higher moral stand than Michigan.

That said, Tennessee fans look the other way or turn hostile when women come forward about being raped by its players, with far more evidence than what is publicly known about Schiano.

Reactions: Fitz51
The child rape at Ped State is unforgivable. Schiano was there when it was going on. There is no reason for Bradley to make up the story about Schiano coming to his office after seeing the Sandusker in action. I hope his inaction and coverup haunts him for the rest of his days. Apparently the Tennessee fans are taking a higher moral stand than Michigan.

That said, Tennessee fans look the other way or turn hostile when women come forward about being raped by its players, with far more evidence than what is publicly known about Schiano.
Michigan?

“Court documents of the deposition released in July 2016 said McQueary indicated Bradley said Schiano went to him in the early 1990s ``white as a ghost and said he just saw Jerry doing something to a boy in the shower.''

This may be hearsay but, as was the case before, I tend to believe McQ. Anyone near that program likely knew what was going on and either helped cover up or ignored what Sandusky was up to. Hell the police force almost charged him in 1998. Good for Tennessee for rejecting him.

Ped State should have gotten the death penalty. It is atrocious that their fans still turn a blind eye.
I personally think that UT dodged a bullet on this one. If Schiano had simply been an assistant during those years, then I would be very negative about the accusations from the UT fans (which is my natural state) but given that Schiano was specifically named, that could have haunted them even though there is no evidence other than hearsay and no charges ever filed. I don't know what the AD was thinking here. So, regardless of the motives of the UT fans, they may have accidentally gotten this one right.

And yes, the Sandusky thing was just a lever in order to force the AD to get Gruden... or Frost... or Buddha... or Trump... or Rockne... or one of the many others that have as their sole purpose to come to Knoxville and coach the Vols.

There was a revealing post on Volnation last night ... one of the fans said, in effect, "I'd take a coach with moral or character issues if he were a proven winner, but Schiano isn't one."

Apparently, though, their "A" list -- Gruden, Frost, Mullen, Leach -- all turned them down. So now they're going to have to settle for a "C" list coach.

There was a revealing post on Volnation last night ... one of the fans said, in effect, "I'd take a coach with moral or character issues if he were a proven winner, but Schiano isn't one."

Apparently, though, their "A" list -- Gruden, Frost, Mullen, Leach -- all turned them down. So now they're going to have to settle for a "C" list coach.
Today's article from the UT faithful says that Gruden is back in play. :rolleyes:

Reactions: NUCat320
I personally think that UT dodged a bullet on this one. If Schiano had simply been an assistant during those years, then I would be very negative about the accusations from the UT fans (which is my natural state) but given that Schiano was specifically named, that could have haunted them even though there is no evidence other than hearsay and no charges ever filed. I don't know what the AD was thinking here. So, regardless of the motives of the UT fans, they may have accidentally gotten this one right.

But what’s the fallback plan? Which decent coach is going to take a job where the fan base literally revolted and the AD went back on an agreement inside of 24 hours?

But what’s the fallback plan? Which decent coach is going to take a job where the fan base literally revolted and the AD went back on an agreement inside of 24 hours?
The fallback plan?... I think it was Schiano.

UT may be heading into their own dark ages. And the truly spectacular thing will be that it was caused completely by the over-rabid and unreasoning fans.

This has been just a great week.

If UT can stay fixated on Gruden for just a few more days, they will probably lose Sumlin to Miss State. Then maybe Norvell? not sure he is self-destructive enough to take the job. I think Campbell may be where the end up.

That would be glorious. Chizik II, the sequel.

Maybe they hire Kiffin back. He has already said that he would be interested. That would be just too good.

Reactions: Gladeskat
The fallback plan?... I think it was Schiano.

UT may be heading into their own dark ages. And the truly spectacular thing will be that it was caused completely by the over-rabid and unreasoning fans.

This has been just a great week.

If UT can stay fixated on Gruden for just a few more days, they will probably lose Sumlin to Miss State. Then maybe Norvell? not sure he is self-destructive enough to take the job. I think Campbell may be where the end up.

That would be glorious. Chizik II, the sequel.

Maybe they hire Kiffin back. He has already said that he would be interested. That would be just too good.

Campbell is reportedly not interested. Sumlin seems a better fit at Arizona State.

Tennessee is going to get hosed.

Les Miles. Good coach who can manage an SEC program and wants a last shot enough to overlook the red flags.

Les Miles. Good coach who can manage an SEC program and wants a last shot enough to overlook the red flags.

If he really wants back in on the SEC, I think he would take Mississippi State over Tennessee. Maybe even angle for Texas A&M if the Jimbo Fisher situation falls through or Auburn if Arkansas is able to sweet talk Malzahn back to his home state.

I am not sure how the UT fans would handle a Les Miles announcement. He is a pretty boring choice. No flash at all. He would clearly come off as a Plan C.

The Mad Hatter has no flash?

And anyone they hire is by definition at most Plan B because Plan A got shot down!!!
Not in the SEC. He has been around the conference forever. There has been little interest in him. His name appears on a lot of lists but you do not see much follow up. He is a ho-hum choice.

Every option will be disappointing because it's not Kelly or Gruden (Gruden!!) or someone's idea of a plan A.

They should hire Tee Martin. Because Peyton won't do it.

(Note: Charlie Weis' Wikipedia page leads with "Charles Joseph Weis (born March 30, 1956) is a failed American football coach who most recently was the head coach for the Kansas Jayhawks..."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Weis )

Reactions: NU Houston
Just like beating Florida and winning the NC. Things that Peyton wouldn't do that Tee Martin did.
Speaking of the good old days, they’ll soon be scraping their respective bottom of the barrel: Cutcliffe from Duke is the latest to turn them down. He would have at least provided them some stability while the AD worked behind the scenes (longer term) to find their next Phil Fulmer.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...see-not-interested-vols-head-coaching-vacancy

Speaking of the good old days, they’ll soon be scraping their respective bottom of the barrel: Cutcliffe from Duke is the latest to turn them down. He would have at least provided them some stability while the AD worked behind the scenes (longer term) to find their next Phil Fulmer.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...see-not-interested-vols-head-coaching-vacancy
The great thing is that this is the third time now that this has happened. And after it is over, UT fans will not understand that the coaching position at UT is not a strongly desirable position and that they are a big part of the reason why. They will blame the AD. “A good AD would have landed Gruden. He was begging to come. Lets mail some feces to Curie’s house.

Reactions: NUCat320
The great thing is that this is the third time now that this has happened. And after it is over, UT fans will not understand that the coaching position at UT is not a strongly desirable position and that they are a big part of the reason why. They will blame the AD. “A good AD would have landed Gruden. He was begging to come. Lets mail some feces to Curie’s house.

I’d support any move that gets Gruden off my TV.

Reactions: StreamCat
It just gets better...

Pat Forde column:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/coachi...yes-tennessee-definitely-loser-022637752.html
Best quotes:
You people are ridiculous. Not all of you, but the delusional loudmouths who somehow think a program with a 62-63 record over the last decade is too good for Schiano.

And now that the Schiano hire has been blown up because of this, good luck landing the next guy. Who would want to deal with this fan base right now?

(regarding Dan Mullen) And Florida’s offer allowed him to turn down the tire fire at Tennessee.

And even better:

Tweets from UT fans begging Lane Kiffin to consider coming back:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/6051a60f-37e4-3b3c-9a9e-73965e576e76/ss_lane-kiffin-continues-to.html

I have not had this much fun at the expense of UT in years.

If McQ had witnessed it, different story. But Bradley official statements indicate he had no knowledge.

If McQ had witnessed it, different story. But Bradley official statements indicate he had no knowledge.

I wouldn't expect him to acknowledge it, just like Paterno didn't.

I can think of worse options.
I expect that they will try Tee Martin before going the Les Miles route. They can sell that he is a young up and comer and that he won an NC at UT. The UT fans will love him and ignore that he has never been a head coach before. They will then get in a fight with anyone that says he is anything other than the greatest coach of all time. Then they will turn on him year 2 if he has not yet won the SEC.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I expect that they will try Tee Martin before going the Les Miles route. They can sell that he is a young up and comer and that he won an NC at UT. The UT fans will love him and ignore that he has never been a head coach before. They will then get in a fight with anyone that says he is anything other than the greatest coach of all time. Then they will turn on him year 2 if he has not yet won the SEC.
Why not Tee Martin. Jason Witten, the HOF TE for the Cowboys, already turned pleas from Tennessee fans down and I don’t think he’s even coached before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT