ADVERTISEMENT

Paging Our Vols Friends

I would talk to the Purdue coach. What he was able to do in one year in West Lafayette is borderline miraculous.

Why not Tee Martin. Jason Witten, the HOF TE for the Cowboys, already turned pleas from Tennessee fans down and I don’t think he’s even coached before.
I saw the Whitton article. That was also just wonderfully desperate on the part of the fans.

I saw on ESPN that Tennessee is courting Mike Gundy now
In the immortal words of Peter Sellers in the Pink Panther...

"Not... anymore."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mike-gundy-will-not-tennessees-next-head-coach-023656224.html

He makes $4.2M per year at OSU. UT offered him a little over $7M per year. He said "no."

And it looks like Mississippi State will have a new head coach before Tennessee.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/m...-moorhead-mississippi-states-next-head-coach/

Oh please just let this keep going on. I have not been this entertained in years.

Last edited:
I

And it looks like Mississippi State will have a new head coach before Tennessee.

See, that's a really smart hire on MSU's part. If UT were (a) smarter; and (b) less arrogant, they could have snatched up Moorhead first. But no, they'll end up with nothing and not even understand that they did it to themselves.

The Vols are flailing right now, but I get the feeling Brohm would be a very solid (if not terribly "sexy") hire.
Yes. It would be sad at this point for them to make a good hire. But then, Butch Jones was a good coach before UT got hold of him.

Reactions: NUCat320
The Vols are flailing right now, but I get the feeling Brohm would be a very solid (if not terribly "sexy") hire.
I just don't think this could get any better. Some details were provided today on the Brohm offer:

I am told that UT AD John Currie made an offer to Jeff Brohm that Brohm accepted. Currie then asked the chancellor to approve the offer — buyout included — and chancellor said no. So Currie went back to Brohm with lesser offer and Brohm said no. So here we are.

https://www.rockytoptalk.com/2017/1...r-tennessee-football-ut-ncaa-currie-davenport

Now, here it comes. The above article is from UT fans and therefore includes the quote "My money is on both. The Gruesome Twosome have absolutely derailed this program's chance of recovering any momentum back from a 4-8 season."

The UT fans that showed in no uncertain terms EXACTLY what any incoming coach had in store for them with the Schiano announcement reaction are not a factor in this problem. It is solely because the AD and Chancellor are incompetent. (That being said, it is kind of hard right now to make a strong case for their competence.)

I just don't think this could get any better. Some details were provided today on the Brohm offer:

I am told that UT AD John Currie made an offer to Jeff Brohm that Brohm accepted. Currie then asked the chancellor to approve the offer — buyout included — and chancellor said no. So Currie went back to Brohm with lesser offer and Brohm said no. So here we are.

https://www.rockytoptalk.com/2017/1...r-tennessee-football-ut-ncaa-currie-davenport

Now, here it comes. The above article is from UT fans and therefore includes the quote "My money is on both. The Gruesome Twosome have absolutely derailed this program's chance of recovering any momentum back from a 4-8 season."

The UT fans that showed in no uncertain terms EXACTLY what any incoming coach had in store for them with the Schiano announcement reaction are not a factor in this problem. It is solely because the AD and Chancellor are incompetent. (That being said, it is kind of hard right now to make a strong case for their competence.)
I don’t know how that get anyone other than Tee Martin. Think that has disaster written on it too.

This sounds like the Bears

Fans threatening to revolt again. Stands no chance there. Stay at NCST.
I am seeing the same thing. I think they are funneling themselves toward Tee Martin. Which could turn out well for them. Martin's resume at this point is not that far behind Fitz's when he took over. But Martin would have to find a way to build a staff from scratch.

I am really, really hoping for Lane Kiffin, though. That would be too good.o_O

Martin's resume is far stronger. Fitz was never a coordinator.
Granted. But Fitz got to retain an existing coaching staff in place to help get adjusted. Martin would not have that opportunity. UT and a young inexperienced coach would be a tough sell. Especially if the chancellor is tight with the purse strings on salaries.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
tennessee.jpg

Granted. But Fitz got to retain an existing coaching staff in place to help get adjusted. Martin would not have that opportunity. UT and a young inexperienced coach would be a tough sell. Especially if the chancellor is tight with the purse strings on salaries.
The difference is Martin will never get as long of a leash to learn the job as Fitz did. These nutso fans will run him off quickly unless he miraculously lands in the top 10 year after year.

Well, it they offered $42 Million over 6 years to the guy from OSU I'd say they have enough dough to hire decent assistants.
But she overruled the offer he made to Brohm and lowered it. Incomprehensible situation. But you knew that.

But she overruled the offer he made to Brohm and lowered it. Incomprehensible situation. But you knew that.
Hey, I'm not saying anything UT is doing makes sense. But if they could offer one head coach $42 Million they must have the dough. How they choose to spend it is a different matter.:D

Hey, I'm not saying anything UT is doing makes sense. But if they could offer one head coach $42 Million they must have the dough. How they choose to spend it is a different matter.:D
I really hope "we don't pay buyouts for coaches already under contract" results in this thing lasting through signing day. How wonderful.

Reactions: GlideCat
Next up... Kevin Sumlin.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kevin-sumlin-apparently-next-tennessee-193546807.html

UT looks to replace a fired coach that averaged 7 wins and 6 losses per year in the SEC over the last five years with a fired coach that averaged 8 wins and 5 losses in the SEC over the past five years.

Impressive upgrade.

Here's hoping that he turns them down and the joy continues. I am also concerned because Sumlin is a pretty decent hire and I really don't want this to end with the UT fans happy. Is that petty of me?

Reactions: villox
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT