ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick Ewing to coach Georgetown

scru

Sep 4, 2005
per ESPN. Any impact on Cats? No. Better than discussing Vassar, HS shoving matches at United Center, or number of W-R seats? Yes.

per ESPN. Any impact on Cats? No. Better than discussing Vassar, HS shoving matches at United Center, or number of W-R seats? Yes.
Has he any other coaching experience that makes this make sense? As far as it's impact on us, probably not.

Has he any other coaching experience that makes this make sense? As far as it's impact on us, probably not.

He has been an assistant in the pros for a long time. I think this is a mistake by them. I think he has been away from the College game for too long and also will have a steep learning curve with recruiting. I look for Georgetown to continue their slide into irrelevancy. We may be looking at the next DePaul here with the program taking a precipitous drop after the son of the legendary, put the program on the map coach is let go. John Thompson Jr. = Joey Meyer?

I think who is assistants will be answers any questions about whether this is a good move, if he can recruit, etc.

I like this pick. He needs one around-the-clock recruiter and one guy familiar with the nuances of college basketball. Georgetown has money to spend and the kind of in-city recognition that us, DePaul and even U of I could only dream of.

I like this pick. He needs one around-the-clock recruiter and one guy familiar with the nuances of college basketball. Georgetown has money to spend and the kind of in-city recognition that us, DePaul and even U of I could only dream of.

DePaul had all the recognition in the world back in the 70s and 80s. Bad coaching hires caused that program to fall off a cliff. I hope Ewing does well but I really doubt it. I think I would have looked hard at a guy like Tom Crean, who has proven he can be successful at a small private Catholic school like Georgetown.

DePaul had all the recognition in the world back in the 70s and 80s. Bad coaching hires caused that program to fall off a cliff. I hope Ewing does well but I really doubt it. I think I would have looked hard at a guy like Tom Crean, who has proven he can be successful at a small private Catholic school like Georgetown.
Ewing could be the equal of Lovie down Rantoul way.

Reactions: DaCat
HERE is the WP story.
The impact on NU is that it removes one possible "negative" that opposing recruiters may be using against NU (CC will take the XXX job). Since Georgetown is a relative big name in BkB (or was not long ago) that negative may have some deterrent power. Now there are no remaining big name programs looking for coaches, that I can think. Of course, they may still say that CC will move on next year, or the following, but that'd be far more speculative (and hence less persuasive).

He has been an assistant in the pros for a long time. I think this is a mistake by them. I think he has been away from the College game for too long and also will have a steep learning curve with recruiting. I look for Georgetown to continue their slide into irrelevancy. We may be looking at the next DePaul here with the program taking a precipitous drop after the son of the legendary, put the program on the map coach is let go. John Thompson Jr. = Joey Meyer?
At least DePaul didn't hire Terry Cummings after finally firing Joey.

John Thompson will run that program until he dies.

This is a dumb move by Gtown. Thank goodness we have Chris Collins.

I remember first seeing Patrick Ewing when he was a college student. He was interning on Capital Hill for Senator Bob Dole. I was wondering who that giant guy in a blue blazer was. I think he weighed more than the next two largest interns on Capital Hill that summer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT