ADVERTISEMENT

Pound the Rock - Premium Basketball Board?

Would you have an interest in subscribing to a premium basketball board?

• Yes - a new premium forum would be a welcome relief.

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • No - why pay for something that we already have for free?

Votes: 32 62.7%

• Total voters
For goodness sakes, boys!! What are you doing? Please stop doubling down on the freeloader label!! If for no other reason than simple business logic.

You're asking people to potentially buy a product, but you're badmouthing frequent users? You might want to consider another approach.

I'll spare the thread the argument for the value of the free users. I'm sorry you haven't been able to monetize and build off this group.

However, to be fair, I can see your issue with longtime free users (guilty!!).

But, to be equally fair, you REALLY need to rethink this concept when you consider the limited amount of work put into building and managing the basketball side of this site.

Can you help me understand how the free members help monetize the site? I’m truly not sure how that works. It seems like the advertising is across the Rivals network and not Wildcat Report specific.

Thanks for your insights. Maybe I'm a bit naive, but I feel if you spend a lot of time here; supporting Lou's and FA's efforts is the "right thing to do". I don't see much difference in a patreon vs. a paid membership. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

I’d say more than a bit naive, at least with the wide range of internet monetization models beyond the paid subscription model. There are plenty of free services and sites that pay for themselves and then some. Ever heard of Facebook and Google?

I’d say more than a bit naive, at least with the wide range of internet monetization models beyond the paid subscription model. There are plenty of free services and sites that pay for themselves and then some. Ever heard of Facebook and Google?

Im talking about the free members on Wildcat Report...not across the Rivals platform.

I suspect the 8 people who voted yes are primarily paid members. Still not getting why anyone who isn’t paying for a subscription already would want to see a paid premium forum.

Hell, I’m a paying member, and don’t really see the point.

For those, like NURoseBowl, who may be the exception, I would ask - if you’re all in for the highest access already, then why aren’t you paying already? Just because there isn’t a separate premium hoops board? Really? Color me shocked, but newly enlightened, if that’s the case. What do you think a premium forum would have that you don’t see on the free board or is already available on the Rock?

I may be misunderstanding your question here, E-Cat. I'm on The Rock (and have been since I joined), and what I meant in my response to CSC was simply that I'd join any premium board - or boards - we may have. Was simply saying that I'm all in for whatever configuration this ultimately adopts.

Can you help me understand how the free members help monetize the site? I’m truly not sure how that works. It seems like the advertising is across the Rivals network and not Wildcat Report specific.

a) Once again, let me be fair to the discussion. I have no doubt that it's difficult to turn 100 regular users (on a good day) into a profitable business, however;
b) "Content is king" has become a cliche for a reason. And while there has been little effort put into basketball content, the message board continued to roll along for more than a decade (two?) while the boards on other sites took a deep dive or disappeared all together. It allows the board to build a brand of the place to go for NU info. If you don't see the value in that, I can't help you. That leads to ...
c) What percentage of free members become paying members? What percentage of users start on either the basketball or football boards and go to the other?
d) I see advertising on other Rivals sites. I assume local advertising is allowed. If not, I wonder how Rivals would feel if an email list was developed with sponsorship/advertising on the email? I wonder if they would ever find out.

I'll stop there because I feel like I've already said enough. I'm not trying to bash Lou's business and I don't know the whole story. But there is a value to clicks. There's value to building a membership rather than maintaining.

There's also a saying that if you're not paying for the product, you are the product. And the whole Internet does it.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
a) Once again, let me be fair to the discussion. I have no doubt that it's difficult to turn 100 regular users (on a good day) into a profitable business, however;
b) "Content is king" has become a cliche for a reason. And while there has been little effort put into basketball content, the message board continued to roll along for more than a decade (two?) while the boards on other sites took a deep dive or disappeared all together. It allows the board to build a brand of the place to go for NU info. If you don't see the value in that, I can't help you. That leads to ...
c) What percentage of free members become paying members? What percentage of users start on either the basketball or football boards and go to the other?
d) I see advertising on other Rivals sites. I assume local advertising is allowed. If not, I wonder how Rivals would feel if an email list was developed with sponsorship/advertising on the email? I wonder if they would ever find out.

I'll stop there because I feel like I've already said enough. I'm not trying to bash Lou's business and I don't know the whole story. But there is a value to clicks. There's value to building a membership rather than maintaining.

There's also a saying that if you're not paying for the product, you are the product. And the whole Internet does it.

Honest question...what do you think the owner/publisher would prefer?...100 free non-paying members or 10 premium paying members?

Honest question...what do you think the owner/publisher would prefer?...100 free non-paying members or 10 premium paying members?

That's considering a relatively stagnant site. So of course, I'd rather have the 10 premiums.

Over a ten year period, I'll take the 100 freebies each year any day of the week because I'll guarantee you one of them each year will become a premium. And in the meantime I've built a 1000 person site with regular access to a high net worth group.

Ok but, stick with me here, can you just IMAGINE the elevated discourse re: Carmody vs. Collins on a premium board? Sign me up, hot dawg

I may be misunderstanding your question here, E-Cat. I'm on The Rock (and have been since I joined), and what I meant in my response to CSC was simply that I'd join any premium board - or boards - we may have. Was simply saying that I'm all in for whatever configuration this ultimately adopts.

My bad. I didn’t see the Gold Member label, perhaps it didn’t load (as I mentioned my wi-fi can be spotty).

The whole theme of FloridAlum's post is ripping people for not getting premium. The sarcasm in calling the subscription "a staggering two dollars a week" makes the disdain for free members pretty clear. In that context, freeloader does not seem in jest. I will be the first to admit, however, that I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

I think that there are many valid reasons why we don't have as much content on the basketball board, including the reason you listed. But, when someone is opening up their wallet, they quite frankly don't care. The content is there or it isn't. Until the content is there and more folks come, perhaps we should wait to divide this forum into the freeloaders and $2-a-weekers.

Or just end free boards and freeloaders entirely as most school boards have done.

There's always insideNU for NU freeloaders, cheapskates, and nincompoops. Being cheap (low % alumni gifts) seems to be a characteristic of NU alums that holds down NU's academic ratings, according to USNews.

FloridAlum is a vicious asshole, isn't he? Need a minute?

Last edited:
Or just end free boards and freeloaders entirely as most school boards have done ...

I agree. If you don't see the value, and you don't know how to build off it, then do something about it. Challenge people to build their own community on Reddit, and maybe they will see the value of your site and return.

There's no reason for spreading the cheap labels and animosity that when it's your ball and you obviously have more influence with Lou.

@Sec.112 It's not surprising you have this point of view. For someone that appears to have been a non-premium member since 2001...you've saved roughly $2,000 by not purchasing a membership.

Last edited:
@Sec.112 It's not surprising you have this point of view. For someone that appears to have been a non-premium member since 2001...you've saved roughly $2,000 by not purchasing a membership.
Hence the term "freeloader". Maybe we can start a GoFundMe page to try to rustle up
$2.00 per week for poor Section 112

I gotta say I don’t agree with all the hate towards free members. It’s their choice any amount of forcing it down their throats it insults isn’t going to change that. Free memebers have their purpose in helping grow the board. Hostility towards free members when I first joined very easily could have turned me off. I was looking for a place to talk about NU sports and talk to other fans. There aren’t that many places to do that or that many of us. So let’s remember we are all rooting for the same team.

I gotta say I don’t agree with all the hate towards free members. It’s their choice any amount of forcing it down their throats it insults isn’t going to change that. Free memebers have their purpose in helping grow the board. Hostility towards free members when I first joined very easily could have turned me off. I was looking for a place to talk about NU sports and talk to other fans. There aren’t that many places to do that or that many of us. So let’s remember we are all rooting for the same team.

Thanks kid. I appreciate your thoughts and I apologize for the hostility. I think a lot of the vitriol is geared towards the longtime posters that don’t support the site through a premium membership. That being said, I’m going to give it a rest as my goal was not to disparage the free posters but to enhance NU basketball conversation by including a premium option like we have for football. Hopefully an improved product will lead to more quality articles by Lou and staff which will hopefully increase the number of paid members.

Reactions: ThatkidfromHolland
Geez, I even agree with the idea of dumping me and the freeloaders because you guys obviously have such a pissy problem with it. And you come back swinging even harder?

Fine, if that's the way you want roll, go crazy.

But after this thread, you might want to reduce the name calling when you're selling the idea of less "repetitive bickering."

And one more piece of free advice which you guys desperately need. And I've said this 20 times in the past. It addresses EXACTLY the problem you state you're trying to solve - improving the quality of the discussion and policing the trolls.

Here we have a pretty stupid discussion which reflects so poorly on the site in so many ways, it makes me uncomfortable. And nobody stepped in and simply said, "Boys, let's be friends. Dont force me to use the penalty box."

That's all it takes ... once in a blue moon. Instead, board reps escalated it which is more than they usually do.

It took an act of God for you guys to actually manage the board, issue warnings and use the penalty box as the perception of this board went lower and lower and lower over the years. Often, the "freeloaders" had to police it and drive off people to make it a reasonable community. BTW, you're welcome.

It's obvious you guys have all the answers and only your longtime users are the problem. But just consider that next time you want to roll out the blame game.

Good luck.

I agree. If you don't see the value, and you don't know how to build off it, then do something about it. Challenge people to build their own community on Reddit, and maybe they will see the value of your site and return.

There's no reason for spreading the cheap labels and animosity that when it's your ball and you obviously have more influence with Lou.
Sec. 112, Lou has posted some very interesting basketball recruiting info tonight on the Rock. I'd be surprised if you weren't interested in joining the discussion. Oh well.

The freeloader comments on this thread are classic and also very ironic. Keep them in mind when posters start up complaining again about donation requirements for parking.

Geez, I even agree with the idea of dumping me and the freeloaders because you guys obviously have such a pissy problem with it. And you come back swinging even harder?

Fine, if that's the way you want roll, go crazy.

But after this thread, you might want to reduce the name calling when you're selling the idea of less "repetitive bickering."

And one more piece of free advice which you guys desperately need. And I've said this 20 times in the past. It addresses EXACTLY the problem you state you're trying to solve - improving the quality of the discussion and policing the trolls.

Here we have a pretty stupid discussion which reflects so poorly on the site in so many ways, it makes me uncomfortable. And nobody stepped in and simply said, "Boys, let's be friends. Dont force me to use the penalty box."

That's all it takes ... once in a blue moon. Instead, board reps escalated it which is more than they usually do.

It took an act of God for you guys to actually manage the board, issue warnings and use the penalty box as the perception of this board went lower and lower and lower over the years. Often, the "freeloaders" had to police it and drive off people to make it a reasonable community. BTW, you're welcome.

It's obvious you guys have all the answers and only your longtime users are the problem. But just consider that next time you want to roll out the blame game.

Good luck.

“The poster doth protest too much, methinks"

No. The Freeloaders got offended by the casual use of the term freeloader and escalated it. I got annoyed by it (normally I don't care), and after considering the sports message board landscape and the efforts put forth here, decided to go long (or the length of the court, Tap to Pardon style).

More influence with Lou? Lou is my VP of internet entertainment.

Freeloader here. Castigate me as you will. I truly can't believe the vitriol directed at someone who for the years I have visited this site has tended to elevate discussions with insight, decency and hoops knowledge (and yes, occasional snark). I mean NO disrespect to any moderator or participant in the board. But, before this thread broke free, I would have hoped one of the moderators might have sent a private e-mail to someone who has made 5,800+ quality posts along the lines of: "Hey, Sect. 112: Thanks for all that you contribute to the board. I / We are thinking of creating a premium basketball board. What do you think would be the key driver for you to join such a premium board? Is it cost? Is it content? Is it getting rid of weak-ass, statistically focused (and then ghosting) posters like Dugan15? What do you love about our site? How can we make it better?"

Again, I have no ill will toward anyone here, including the moderators...but sure as hell not someone like Sect. 112 who adds real insight.

(As it happens, I could afford a premium subscription. Perhaps I should join "The Rock". Part of it is laziness. Part of it is my discomfort that the value add there - at least my perception - relates to recruiting issues. There is an "ick" factor I feel about recruiting and my 49-year old ass caring where some 16-17 year old chooses to go to school. My wife and I are thinking through about how to connect with our 16.5 year old about where to go to college. I sure as hell don't need Sect. 112, Coral Springs Cat, LouV, Coach Carmody or Coach Collins opining on that shit. Again, if that is cause to ban me from the free board as well, so be it.)

Peace to all of you and your families in these odd times.

Freeloader here. Castigate me as you will. I truly can't believe the vitriol directed at someone who for the years I have visited this site has tended to elevate discussions with insight, decency and hoops knowledge (and yes, occasional snark). I mean NO disrespect to any moderator or participant in the board. But, before this thread broke free, I would have hoped one of the moderators might have sent a private e-mail to someone who has made 5,800+ quality posts along the lines of: "Hey, Sect. 112: Thanks for all that you contribute to the board. I / We are thinking of creating a premium basketball board. What do you think would be the key driver for you to join such a premium board? Is it cost? Is it content?

I agree this thread is not a good look. Just keep adding content to The Rock or go ahead and create a premium basketball board if you want and delete this one if you must. People will decide on their own when and if to pony up.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Freeloader here. Castigate me as you will. I truly can't believe the vitriol directed at someone who for the years I have visited this site has tended to elevate discussions with insight, decency and hoops knowledge (and yes, occasional snark). I mean NO disrespect to any moderator or participant in the board. But, before this thread broke free, I would have hoped one of the moderators might have sent a private e-mail to someone who has made 5,800+ quality posts along the lines of: "Hey, Sect. 112: Thanks for all that you contribute to the board. I / We are thinking of creating a premium basketball board. What do you think would be the key driver for you to join such a premium board? Is it cost? Is it content? Is it getting rid of weak-ass, statistically focused (and then ghosting) posters like Dugan15? What do you love about our site? How can we make it better?"

Again, I have no ill will toward anyone here, including the moderators...but sure as hell not someone like Sect. 112 who adds real insight.

(As it happens, I could afford a premium subscription. Perhaps I should join "The Rock". Part of it is laziness. Part of it is my discomfort that the value add there - at least my perception - relates to recruiting issues. There is an "ick" factor I feel about recruiting and my 49-year old ass caring where some 16-17 year old chooses to go to school. My wife and I are thinking through about how to connect with our 16.5 year old about where to go to college. I sure as hell don't need Sect. 112, Coral Springs Cat, LouV, Coach Carmody or Coach Collins opining on that shit. Again, if that is cause to ban me from the free board as well, so be it.)

Peace to all of you and your families in these odd times.

I’m not a moderator. This was my suggestion without any moderator involvement whatsoever. Truth be told, I’m guessing Lou hates the idea.

Sorry you’re so sensitive. This issue hasn’t been raised in the 19 years Sect. 112 has been posting. The fact it’s rankled a few is very telling. I’m glad we’re discussing it as this board deserves additional support. Countless hours are out spent maintaining WR with little to no compensation; it’s time frequent posters that haven’t supported the site step up and help. Take a look at the newspaper industry; quality online content and the efforts of online publishers should be supported in my opinion.

Reactions: No Chores
I’m not a moderator. This was my suggestion without any moderator involvement whatsoever. Truth be told, I’m guessing Lou hates the idea.

Sorry you’re so sensitive. This issue hasn’t been raised in the 19 years Sect. 112 has been posting. The fact it’s rankled a few is very telling. I’m glad we’re discussing it as this board deserves additional support. Countless hours are out spent maintaining WR with little to no compensation; it’s time frequent posters that haven’t supported the site step up and help. Take a look at the newspaper industry; quality online content and the efforts of online publishers should be supported in my opinion.
Plus 1000!

Countless hours are out spent maintaining WR with little to no compensation; it’s time frequent posters that haven’t supported the site step up and help. Take a look at the newspaper industry; quality online content and the efforts of online publishers should be supported in my opinion.

I think the argument is that Lou and team do a considerable amount of work that keeps the board afloat and for which they aren't compensated. Completely buy that.

I disagree on the broad brush of "frequent posters not supporting the site." It applies to some and doesn't to others.

It definitely does not apply to Sec 112 who consistently posts above average, knowledgeable content about the team and the games. For the NU bball community, 112 is a draw on this board, someone you click on, which I assume helps Rivals sell ads. (also appreciative that 112 stays completely away from the crazy).

There look to be a handful of bball posters who are "freeloaders" and cumulatively drive a ton of content on the poor stepchild bball board. I'd throw Dugan in that mix as well, with Columbus, Journal, cwcorgi, Kelly32, Heywood. Katatonic and his middle of night posts make this board far more interesting. A couple dozen others. Not sure if Idaho is a paying member but he's very good.

So, I'd rather the rationale be about what's needed and not about castigating a loyal NU supporter who does, in fact, provide content that triggers positive commercial behavior (clicks) that contributes to paying Rivals staff.

I think the argument is that Lou and team do a considerable amount of work that keeps the board afloat and for which they aren't compensated. Completely buy that.

I disagree on the broad brush of "frequent posters not supporting the site." It applies to some and doesn't to others.

It definitely does not apply to Sec 112 who consistently posts above average, knowledgeable content about the team and the games. For the NU bball community, 112 is a draw on this board, someone you click on, which I assume helps Rivals sell ads. (also appreciative that 112 stays completely away from the crazy).

There look to be a handful of bball posters who are "freeloaders" and cumulatively drive a ton of content on the poor stepchild bball board. I'd throw Dugan in that mix as well, with Columbus, Journal, cwcorgi, Kelly32, Heywood. Katatonic and his middle of night posts make this board far more interesting. A couple dozen others. Not sure if Idaho is a paying member but he's very good.

So, I'd rather the rationale be about what's needed and not about castigating a loyal NU supporter who does, in fact, provide content that triggers positive commercial behavior (clicks) that contributes to paying Rivals staff.

Thanks Medill90. I appreciate your viewpoint and perspective on things. I guess I think of this site more along the lines of a Wikipedia type site...although they don't have paid membership they solicit on-line financial contributions to keep the site up and running (and free). Where would WR be without any paid premium members? Would all the non-subscribers have this board (and Lou) without the paid members? Are their clicks really paying the bills? I'm pretty sure WR is lumped in with all the other Rivals networks and ads are sold across the network not on individual sites. I don't recall any NU specific ads. I'm not looking to alienate the free posters here; I initially didn't even want to post this issue here as this is exactly the response I was expecting. That being said, I'm glad I did as I think it's a topic worthy of discussion. It's been a long time coming.

... This issue hasn’t been raised in the 19 years Sect. 112 has been posting. The fact it’s rankled a few is very telling. I’m glad we’re discussing it as this board deserves additional support. Countless hours are out spent maintaining WR with little to no compensation; it’s time frequent posters that haven’t supported the site step up and help...

I want to make something clear. The idea of a paid board was never my problem in this thread and I believe I clearly stated that.

Let me repeat the final line in my first post, "I wouldn't blame you if you set a cost for the board. It's your business. But I couldn't be more on the fence, and I always wish you the best of luck with this site."

I completely see your argument, and I simply began by stating why I haven't paid in the past. And it's pretty clear it wasn't some vigorous or heartfelt argument against the idea.

I've even agreed with your position at several points. From my second post: "However, to be fair, I can see your issue with longtime free users (guilty!!)."

I also answered your questions very reasonably.

And the conversation devolved from there.

But there was NEVER a fight against the idea of a paid board. I don't blame you for the strategic direction at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dugan15
I want to make something clear. The idea of a paid board was never my problem in this thread and I believe I clearly stated that.

Let me repeat the final line in my first post, "I wouldn't blame you if you set a cost for the board. It's your business. But I couldn't be more on the fence, and I always wish you the best of luck with this site."

I completely see your argument, and I simply began by stating why I haven't paid in the past. And it's pretty clear it wasn't some vigorous or heartfelt argument against the idea.

I've even agreed with your position at several points. From my second post: "However, to be fair, I can see your issue with longtime free users (guilty!!)."

I also answered your questions very reasonably.

And the conversation devolved from there.

But there was NEVER a fight against the idea of a paid board. I don't blame you for the strategic direction at all.

Works for me. Let's let bygones be bygones. My intent was never to get anyone upset. My apologies. Go Cats!

I have read this whole thread, and would like to add a couple of points which really should not be necessary because I think they were stated clearly already. However I am going to because of a couple of responses I have read. First, there was no mention whatsoever of anyone being banned for refusing to pay for a membership. It’s not going to happen. If there is a premium basketball board, it will be just like the Rock is now.Membership will always be voluntary, Perhaps strongly encouraged, but voluntary, just like it is now.
Second, if there is a premium basketball board ever, the free basketball board is not going to disappear. It will be just like there now is a free football board and a board for premium content.It will be more like the premium content that is currently on the Rock being divided between two premium boards with the hope that there will be more premium basketball content and therefore more dialogue.
Also, if you insist, I will add something else that has been said about five times already. There is only one membership on the site. It entitles one to read all premium content, whether there is one premium board or more than one. If you are currently a paid member, you would automatically be able to read a premium basketball board at no additional cost.

Wow, people are really going to start getting banned for not buying a membership? That's crazy and uncool. Just as uncool as making us pay more for a board 60% of the people don't want!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT