ADVERTISEMENT

Preston

clarificationcat

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
We miss Verhoeven a lot. He struggled initially but he became a very solid rotation player by the middle of the season. Very good defensively and a solid rebounder. Preston is just overmatched at this level. The sequence where he didn’t contest the Smith layup and then stood directly under the basket as Edey dunked on him was one of the worst plays of the year. I struggle watching him.

Last edited:
Reactions: FeralFelidae
We miss Verhoeven a lot. He struggled initially but he became a very solid rotation player by the middle of the season. Very good defensively and a solid rebounder. Preston is just overmatched at this level. The sequence where he didn’t contest Smith layup and then stood directly under the basket as Edey dunked on him was one of the worst plays of the year. I struggle watching him.
The Statue of Liberty. Sorry, couldn't resist

That's a pretty good nickname, unfortunately.

We saw the unstoppable Edey in the overtime. Barnhizer did what he could avoiding the fifth foul. Others...did not.

That's a pretty good nickname, unfortunately.

We saw the unstoppable Edey in the overtime. Barnhizer did what he could avoiding the fifth foul. Others...did not.
He was mostly unstoppable because we were in foul trouble.

Right. NU was running out of players, but Preston had a few fouls he never gave!

Our centers also can’t pick up cheap fouls away from the basket. Hunger fouled a guard 40 feet from the basket reaching for the ball.
Oh I agree. Fouling was part of the strategy, too. But Edey wasn’t blowing the doors off. Choked at the line too (just like smith btw but that’s another story).

Our centers also can’t pick up cheap fouls away from the basket. Hunger fouled a guard 40 feet from the basket reaching for the ball.
Or the refs need to call fewer cheap fouls that don't affect the play.
I have no problem with Preston. He was overmatched. So was Verhoeven.

Those refs sucked tonight. As predicted.

Strongly disagree. Verhoeven was not a liability at the end of the year. Not boxing out is not being overmatched. It’s a lack of awareness. We did not get beaten on the boards as badly last year.

Reactions: drewjin
Strongly disagree. Verhoeven was not a liability at the end of the year. Not boxing out is not being overmatched. It’s a lack of awareness. We did not get beaten on the boards as badly last year.
Preston is giving up 8 inches to the guy. He wasn’t the reason for the L.

Preston is giving up 8 inches to the guy. He wasn’t the reason for the L.
I didn’t say he was the reason for the loss. I said he’s overmatched at this level. On the game tying basket in regulation, Preston follows Smith down the lane but makes no effort to block or alter his shot. He then stands almost directly under the basket and makes no effort to box out Edey. Edey then dunks the put back. If Preston had engaged Edey, he gets the rebound regardless of the size difference.

Reactions: No Chores
I didn’t say he was the reason for the loss. I said he’s overmatched at this level. On the game tying basket in regulation, Preston follows Smith down the lane but makes no effort to block or alter his shot. He then stands almost directly under the basket and makes no effort to box out Edey. Edey then dunks the put back. If Preston had engaged Edey, he gets the rebound regardless of the size difference.
I think he has been a contributor. Of course, he can’t match Edey. He wouldn’t have been out there, if the refs didn’t call a foul on Big Matt and Hunger every time Edey got the ball. Put him on a 6’8 player and he’ll do fine. His basketball IQ is generally fine, but it is damn near impossible to guard someone with at is 8 inches taller than you, has an array of excellent post moves, and gets foul calls if you rub against him.

Also, I don’t see Preston getting that rebound under any circumstances. Too much of a height difference. Best case, Maybe he can tie Edey up and HOPE a teammate grabs a loose ball, but we saw how that worked all game.

Reactions: drewjin and Cataria
I think he has been a contributor. Of course, he can’t match Edey. He wouldn’t have been out there, if the refs didn’t call a foul on Big Matt and Hunger every time Edey got the ball. Put him on a 6’8 player and he’ll do fine. His basketball IQ is generally fine, but it is damn near impossible to guard someone with at is 8 inches taller than you, has an array of excellent post moves, and gets foul calls if you rub against him.

Also, I don’t see Preston getting that rebound under any circumstances. Too much of a height difference. Best case, Maybe he can tie Edey up and HOPE a teammate grabs a loose ball, but we saw how that worked all game.
I completely disagree on the rebound. If he boxes out Edey, he gets the rebound. Boxing out means putting your ass in the offensive player and clearing space around the basket. If he had done that, Edey would have had to go over his back to get the rebound. He made no attempt to box him out. None. He stood almost under the basket and waited for the ball to come down. I believe Robbie Hummel said he was in no man's land. Guys get rebounds in front of much taller players all the time. Edey averages 4 offensive rebounds a game so he's not unstoppable if you box him out. He left the most dominant player in college basketball and didn't even try to contest Smith's shot. He should have immediately rotated back to Edey.

And I don't want him on a 6'8" player. We don't need him for that. Martinelli or Barnhizer can guard those guys more effectively. He was brought it to guard bigs for 5 to 10 minutes a game. He's shooting 42% from the field (2nd lowest on the team to Clayton) and averages over 6 fouls per 30 minutes. This is really a criticism of Collins more than him.

I completely disagree on the rebound. If he boxes out Edey, he gets the rebound. Boxing out means putting your ass in the offensive player and clearing space around the basket. If he had done that, Edey would have had to go over his back to get the rebound. He made no attempt to box him out. None. He stood almost under the basket and waited for the ball to come down. I believe Robbie Hummel said he was in no man's land. Guys get rebounds in front of much taller players all the time. Edey averages 4 offensive rebounds a game so he's not unstoppable if you box him out. He left the most dominant player in college basketball and didn't even try to contest Smith's shot. He should have immediately rotated back to Edey.

And I don't want him on a 6'8" player. We don't need him for that. Martinelli or Barnhizer can guard those guys more effectively. He was brought it to guard bigs for 5 to 10 minutes a game. He's shooting 42% from the field (2nd lowest on the team to Clayton) and averages over 6 fouls per 30 minutes. This is really a criticism of Collins more than him.
How tall are you? I’m 6 foot, considered myself decent at defense back in the day and no way it hell I was guarding a 6’8 guy with strong post moves. Maybe you were better?

Reactions: Figrating
How tall are you? I’m 6 foot, considered myself decent at defense back in the day and no way it hell I was guarding a 6’8 guy with strong post moves. Maybe you were better?
Didn’t say guard. Not expecting him to guard Edey without lots of help and even then not expecting him to stop him. But I could box out a much taller player if I had good position. Earlier this year against Michigan State Buie got switched on a big on defense and got a big rebound. He backed him away from the basket. Announcer mentioned his good form. Preston had position. He just didn’t try to engage Edey. I believe Preston also allowed Gillis a putback off a missed free throw but I would have to go back and check.

Reactions: drewjin
The program in general doesn't have enough size at the 4 and 5. So they're forced to play guys like Preston.

My bigger long-term concern is that they only have size at the 5 going into next year. I wish they had a project at the end of the bench. I know someone is going to tell me about the portal, but quality size isn't always around the corner as the last two years have demonstrated.

Interesting to read how Preston was a great addition at the beginning of the season and Nicholson was terrible. Now opinions on balance are completely reversed. Still a lot of season left.

Preston is a solid addition in the context of his role. He’s veteran, high energy 5. He’s a backup center and is meant to provide depth. He just played against the best center in the country. I think he’s perfectly fine and was a good addition given the context. If he was getting heavy minutes then, ya the criticisms would hold more weight. He is a good locker room pick up and a depth piece.

The program in general doesn't have enough size at the 4 and 5. So they're forced to play guys like Preston.

My bigger long-term concern is that they only have size at the 5 going into next year. I wish they had a project at the end of the bench. I know someone is going to tell me about the portal, but quality size isn't always around the corner as the last two years have demonstrated.
uh - Gus Hurlburt raises his hand 🙋‍♂️🤷‍♂️😉

Preston is a solid addition in the context of his role. He’s veteran, high energy 5. He’s a backup center and is meant to provide depth. He just played against the best center in the country. I think he’s perfectly fine and was a good addition given the context. If he was getting heavy minutes then, ya the criticisms would hold more weight. He is a good locker room pick up and a depth piece.

People forget that Preston's interception of a pass for Edey in the first PU game sealed the win for NU......
I ren
People forget that Preston's interception of a pass for Edey in the first PU game sealed the win for NU......
I didn’t forget. Didn’t mean for this to be an extended thread where I keep bashing Preston. Just thought Verhoeven was a much more solid role player and Preston makes a lot of mistakes for a 5th year player (like on the game tying dunk).

Thats a logical concern but I don't think Collins sees it that way.
He knows he has Hunger, Martinelli and Barnhizer coming back.
Maybe Nicholson.

He's going to be focused on getting 2 more guards unless one of those 4 says he's leaving.

I ren

I didn’t forget. Didn’t mean for this to be an extended thread where I keep bashing Preston. Just thought Verhoeven was a much more solid role player and Preston makes a lot of mistakes for a 5th year player (like on the game tying dunk).
I like Verhoeven more as well. How soon we forget the steal from Preston in win against PU though.

Yeah, the thing is, I don't recall exactly when it was Verhoeven figured it out. Because he was fine in the noncon against his peers and very terrible at the start of conference play. I think he caught up in February. Let's hope Preston makes that same leap and his solid D on Edey from the first game becomes more common for him in general for the rest of the season.

If our biggest worry/complaint is Preston we have a damn solid team.
The fact is - in the first game against Purdue - Preston played the last 4 minutes of regulation time and the first 4 minutes of OT, without a break.

We outscored Purdue 17-16 over that period. You can't be a bad player and have that happen against one of the top teams. The only thing that really happened to Preston is that Nicholson bounced back from his early season funk and Hunger started playing better than him.

I’m 6’ and still no problem guarding 6’2”-6’3”. On D, my empty hand goes as high as their hand with a ball. Their dribble is very much in my primary vision. And to get from dribble or pass to shot, they have to pass through a very reachable zone.

I have found it doesn’t need to be a full block or steal. Getting a few fingertips on leather cleanly can be very disruptive. And footwork. Gotta know when to move them and when to plant them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT