ADVERTISEMENT

Question for 247 and Inside NU writers

Medill90

Jan 30, 2011
I saw that immediately after Goodwin cut down his list the student scribes from NU jumped in to discount the Cats' chances.

Goodwin himself retweeted this from an NU fan site: "Would be surprising if (NU) wins the battle though."

And from the site that is wrong almost 100% of the time about NU recruiting: "Illinois appears the clear favorite for Goodwin."

So, I have to ask, on a night that Goodwin cut out programs with huge basketball history what data do these kiddie scribes to indicate he won't go to NU. Is it that two of the top three players from Illinois last year chose NU over a bunch of Big Ten schools? Or is it simply your vast experience in sports leading to your intuition that he won't choose your school so you need to hop right on social media and tell the world?

On a related topic. Young lads, you'll do a lot better with the girls this year if stop thinking that you have no chance and at the very least give it a shot. Standing in the corner with your other pencil neck cronies talking about Ken Pomeroy and Sagarin isn't going to get you laid. Live a little. Buy a decent shirt. Use deodorant on weekends. Stop eating so much starch and try an occasional green vegetable, it'll help your complexion. Walk across the room and introduce yourself. You might just get lucky.

I saw that immediately after Goodwin cut down his list the student scribes from NU jumped in to discount the Cats' chances.

Goodwin himself retweeted this from an NU fan site: "Would be surprising if (NU) wins the battle though."

And from the site that is wrong almost 100% of the time about NU recruiting: "Illinois appears the clear favorite for Goodwin."

So, I have to ask, on a night that Goodwin cut out programs with huge basketball history what data do these kiddie scribes to indicate he won't go to NU. Is it that two of the top three players from Illinois last year chose NU over a bunch of Big Ten schools? Or is it simply your vast experience in sports leading to your intuition that he won't choose your school so you need to hop right on social media and tell the world?

These are good points and good questions to ask.

On a related topic. Young lads, you'll do a lot better with the girls this year if stop thinking that you have no chance and at the very least give it a shot. Standing in the corner with your other pencil neck cronies talking about Ken Pomeroy and Sagarin isn't going to get you laid. Live a little. Buy a decent shirt. Use deodorant on weekends. Stop eating so much starch and try an occasional green vegetable, it'll help your complexion. Walk across the room and introduce yourself. You might just get lucky.

This is childish bullying.

Reactions: thewildcat2011
a) I saw the "surprising" comment also. In defense of the jerkoff who wrote it, I don't believe he's student anymore.

With that said, it's been pretty obvious his objective for a long time has been more about getting a rise out of people than reporting or true discussion. But the fact that his comment ended up in Goodwin's string sure doesn't help something he supposedly cares about.

b) It's unfortunate the direction student reporting has evolved over the last few years. Generally, these guys play reporter for a few years, and drop it. And that's understandable. I hope they move to bigger and better things.

But don't ask us to buy in or pretend that your content matters when it's so incredibly obvious you're learning on the job and done after your senior year.

I always thought Medline did a really nice job. He did his homework. He was connected from a basketball standpoint, and he was a good writer. Then, he understandably moved along after graduation, and I was left with a subscription to a dead site.

That was the last student site I will subscribe to. It's unfortunate for someone like Srodulski who also does a good job reporting.

Someone in any one of these larger organizations or a student him-or-herself needs to understand they need to figure a way to "own"/deligate/manage one of these sites to establish it and maximize any revenue, and continue long after they graduate.

Once they truly own it, I'm sure the reporting will be a tad more professional. I don't think it needs to be perfect. These guys are still learning and I think we need to accept that. But there is level in between that these guys didn't achieve because this is pretty experimental for them. So many of them treat their content like a message board, rather than strong reporting, objective analysis and fact-based opinion.

This is childish bullying.

The satirical metaphor is too much for a Medill student to handle? You're probably right.
You could just ask on Twitter, or create a fan post on InsideNU...somewhere where they might see and feel able to respond. I know the writers peruse these boards, but are unlikely to engage (Rivals has quite the reputation...)

You could just ask on Twitter, or create a fan post on InsideNU...somewhere where they might see and feel able to respond. I know the writers peruse these boards, but are unlikely to engage (Rivals has quite the reputation...)

DCF's son's tweet was inappropriate IMHO.

DCF's son's tweet was inappropriate IMHO.

I wasn't really trying to single anyone out, but I guess I'm guilty of doing that. I was pointing at a collective and to what I see as a trend. I don't think the added commentary was appropriate at that time and I don't think it's based on anything but a bias that's rooted in a landscape that is rapidly changing under their feet.

Currently Verbal Commits lists about 20 NU targets for this year and next. Only a couple aren't currently ranked 4*. So, if NU can't recruit high level players the staff needs to get really busy and find some more recruits.

In regards to DCF's son. I've written before an I'll say again that I very much enjoyed his writing. Thought there was some depth to it, he has natural talents and there's an obvious work ethic. Perhaps in the future he needs to focus on long form.

Lou V's response is how it is done. Report on the news. If you want to "commentate" come back later with that in a Day 2 article. You don't want to infect Day 1 news with your bias. That goes for a lot more subjects than sports.

So this thread is an opportunity to bash DCF's son and indirectly DCF by attacking his son? Old habits die hard for some of you weaklings. What Goren did was no different from what a bunch of you whiners do on here.

As bad as his dad. Why would you throw out negative stuff like that (viewed BY the actual player) for the team you "support"?

You're attacking parents through their kids, not to mention attacking a current or recently graduated NU student.

Don't you have any shame whatsoever? Ben and his dad are in publicly known so they're easy targets whenever your views don't match theirs. Meanwhile, you hide behind your memes and distasteful remarks.

I'm sure Ben and his dad would love to connect with you on Linkedin or Twitter and make this an apples to apples comparison.

But I'm equally sure you're far too ashamed of your identity to do that.

In the meantime, continue attacking a parent through his child. At least people here can see you for what you are: someone who makes disgusting comments behind the shield of anonymity.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I always thought Medline did a really nice job. He did his homework. He was connected from a basketball standpoint, and he was a good writer. Then, he understandably moved along after graduation, and I was left with a subscription to a dead site.

Yeesh, is any of that correct? He had good connections in the basketball office and with a few players, so that is true. Yet, Nick dumped the site well before he graduated, in favor of an internship. As for his writing, he faced some absolutely brutal criticism from Gladescat and Gocatsgo.

So this thread is an opportunity to bash DCF's son and indirectly DCF by attacking his son? Old habits die hard for some of you weaklings. What Goren did was no different from what a bunch of you whiners do on here.

I'm a poor example for this argument. I was always friendly with DCF and never attacked DCF. I encouraged DCF to hang around. And, to put some people on ignore as I did. My opinions did not greatly diverge from his.

You should apologize then.

For what.

The first half of my post was genuine. I truly do not understand where the reflexive "we'll never get this guy" writing comes from.

The second half was humor. Or, my attempt at Dean Wormeresque humor. (While also describing my own nerdy, early college existence)

What exactly do I apologize for.

Reactions: VirginiaWildcat
Yeesh, is any of that correct? He had good connections in the basketball office and with a few players, so that is true. Yet, Nick dumped the site well before he graduated, in favor of an internship. As for his writing, he faced some absolutely brutal criticism from Gladescat and Gocatsgo.

A) I'm glad you were able to answer your own question.

B) Thank you for further proving my report-and-drop-it theory.

C) Is there anybody who hasn't faced brutal criticism from those two?

Keep trying.

Keep trying.
Your 100% correct but please don't encourage him to "keep trying". It already took him 3 or 4 posts to reply to a single question.

Keep trying.

Your statements were not completely accurate and were in praise of Nick to boot.

You incorrectly said he "understandably moved along after graduation" but in actuality, Nick "dropped it" in a much worse fashion than Johnson, Bushnell, Trahan, et al. did. They graduated and were not in Evanston to cover the school anymore. Nick was still there but most of his subscribers disliked him. Graduating is a better reason to "drop" it than because you were widely derided. Furthermore, Nick could have passed the baton, as Kevin did to Henry.

Reactions: Gladeskat
For what.

The first half of my post was genuine. I truly do not understand where the reflexive "we'll never get this guy" writing comes from.

Except you are not quoting him well--at all. He said, "Northwestern makes cut to 7. Still would be surprising if they win the battle though."

Wouldn't it be surprising? It would be a little bit surprising to me because of Illinois getting his best friend to commit and because Illinois has that "tradition" factor that appeals to some people.

Except you are not quoting him well--at all. He said, "Northwestern makes cut to 7. Still would be surprising if they win the battle though."

Wouldn't it be surprising? It would be a little bit surprising to me because of Illinois getting his best friend to commit and because Illinois has that "tradition" factor that appeals to some people.

Well, I think it's progress that we've moved on from me trying to do harm to DCF to now parsing quotes.

Some weeks back I touched on this same topic. My take is absent any new information Goodwin's choice is a 50/50 proposition between Illinois and NU, the two schools he indicated recruit him the hardest. He goes to a private catholic high school just like Law, Lindsey, Ash and Pardon did. That may indicate the family values the sheepskin which could give NU the edge.

So, no, it would not be surprising if either Illinois or NU got Goodwin. Mizzou and Alabama would be surprises. And SLU, and others.

The sensitivities expressed in this thread surprise me. Maybe I've lost my ability to write what is obviously humor, or perhaps my humor has too nasty of an edge.

But my expectation was (and is) that the writers on the other NU sites don't overreact to posts here (if they follow it at all). If anything, they look at us like the old guys in the balcony of the Muppets Show ("Are my pants on? It feels a little cooler down there.")

If they get offended by what's posted here they need to switch from the four year plan to the six year plan.

Last edited:

Keep trying.

Don't forget MRCat95. He apparently bothered Nicky so much for his astute criticism of Nick's fetid football analyses that Nicky would make snarky tweets about MRCat95 (and myself) 6 months after he dumped Scout. It was funny...a sports journalist who knew nothing about football tweeting "good riddance" to his buddies about guys who did know football.

Your statements were not completely accurate and were in praise of Nick to boot.

You incorrectly said he "understandably moved along after graduation" but in actuality, Nick "dropped it" in a much worse fashion than Johnson, Bushnell, Trahan, et al. did. They graduated and were not in Evanston to cover the school anymore. Nick was still there but most of his subscribers disliked him. Graduating is a better reason to "drop" it than because you were widely derided. Furthermore, Nick could have passed the baton, as Kevin did to Henry.

It wasn't just his ignorance about football that bothered people, it was his attitude towards his fellow students. I once counted 15 posters who expressed their dislike for Nicky's punk-ass approach to his fellow students in one thread. He'd even double down his nastiness toward student athletes when challenged about it. I'll bet Nicky would immediately turn and walk the other way if he ever spotted Sobo coming his way. Yikes!

Count me as another subscriber on Scout that was not a fan of Nicky boy. He had some decent inside information at times, but seemed to think that made him an expert on all things related to Northwestern sports. His pompous attitude and immaturity turned me off pretty quickly.

Count me as another subscriber on Scout that was not a fan of Nicky boy. He had some decent inside information at times, but seemed to think that made him an expert on all things related to Northwestern sports. His pompous attitude and immaturity turned me off pretty quickly.

+1 I left the site as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT