ADVERTISEMENT

Rapolas Ivanauskus

Tallest midget. Benson hasn't made progress.
Benson has flashed a lot of potential we are gonna be fine next year at center. The biggest thing holding back Benson is how good pardon is. He doesn't have the game time experience yet to be consistent. Next year when he knows he's the starter will add some confidence. Confidence is a severely underrated quality in basketball. Not confidence to take the shot but confidence of ya I'm this good.

Absolutely no way RI with all his injuries would even sniff min on this roster let alone unseat Benson. I'm not saying without injuries he couldn't have been a really solid 4 for us. I have no idea how he would have fit without injuries.

We have very solid wing and center depth. Don't worry about big development with this coaching staff.

I've asked this before, but what is our "system?" Specific to Rap, I must have missed all of those games in which he played for us so you'd know how he fits or doesn't.

I've watched three games from the stands and I can pretty much tell you where every player is going on offense and where they are trying to get shots from. So yeah, there is a clear offensive system that incorporates a few set plays, which are also pretty easy to recognize as well from the position of the players when the play initiates. They also have set inbound plays as well. It's why I don't panic when the two guys loop around in front of the inbounding player before he passes it to the third man through well into the count because he often has an open look at the basket. The motion offense produces multiple open looks per possession, the issue had been the failure of the players to hit open shots through 3 games or too much passing to try to get the ball to Law or Taylor.

As for defense, Cats play man with certain switches. What was really deficient against American was their inability to switch and defend the pick and roll.

The zone was a necessary adaptation because BMac and Lindsey were below average defenders. I'd argue that Taylor is the worst defender and he's a significant upgrade over both Lindsey or BMac.

I've asked this before, but what is our "system?" Specific to Rap, I must have missed all of those games in which he played for us so you'd know how he fits or doesn't.

Or the posts after his commitment worrying about how we would use him.

Seems like a few of us raised those concerns about Brown being a SG forced into PG or LG role long before his transfer and were shouted down. Now, round peg in square hole is another favored excuse in the quiver of the PKK when a guy leaves that would seemingly have use here.

CCC does a lot well. But he goofs too. It’s ok to discuss it. Vassar was a bad recruiting decision and then terribly handled. Brown was probably another poor recruiting decision.

I don’t know what Rap was. More to come. But I know we are sitting on an empty schollie, Nance and Kopp played a couple minutes against powerhouse AU, Benson is not threatening to take minutes away from...anyone. Law started at the four last game and he and Pardon have been forced into 35+ mpg during preseason.

Maybe Rap would not be playing. But why is a fair topic for discussion because it appears to be another gaff.

I’m not calling for heads to roll. I’m calling out what I see, and I think some others see too. Are we entitled to answers, no. Do we want them - some of us do. Better to have interested fans than none at all and an empty stadium. Oh, poor example, me thinks.

Seems like a few of us raised those concerns about Brown being a SG forced into PG or LG role long before his transfer and were shouted down. Now, round peg in square hole is another favored excuse in the quiver of the PKK when a guy leaves that would seemingly have use here.

CCC does a lot well. But he goofs too. It’s ok to discuss it. Vassar was a bad recruiting decision and then terribly handled. Brown was probably another poor recruiting decision.

I don’t know what Rap was. More to come. But I know we are sitting on an empty schollie, Nance and Kopp played a couple minutes against powerhouse AU, Benson is not threatening to take minutes away from...anyone. Law started at the four last game and he and Pardon have been forced into 35+ mpg during preseason.

Maybe Rap would not be playing. But why is a fair topic for discussion because it appears to be another gaff.

I’m not calling for heads to roll. I’m calling out what I see, and I think some others see too. Are we entitled to answers, no. Do we want them - some of us do. Better to have interested fans than none at all and an empty stadium. Oh, poor example, me thinks.

Sorry but I can’t really question Collins on this topic since he did take us to the NCAAs with nearly all of them his own recruits. He’s not an idiot. Sometimes you reach for guys and make a mistake. It’s hard to project development and how a kid will mesh. They were spot-on, 100% right about Pardon. They were very right on Mac and Lindsey. Law obviously was a no brainer.

I’ll take that track record until his misses result in last place finishes or scandal.

bob, that last 'graph was sort of Jack Nicholson on the stand in a few good men

Max Power drops a couple bombs in his post...pretty good stuff.

Here's the thing on Rap...I think he'd of been a good option against American...big body to throw against the Russian. But you build a roster for the conference which is now 20 games, not pre conference. Rap doesn't have the foot speed to defend middle to upper tier Big Ten 4's and 5's man to man. Do you change up your defense and go to zone for your 7-8-9 guy? Rap's offensive game was within twelve feet of the rim...half court offense and working off of rebounds. Really not a feature.

If he was a top three player on the roster, sure. But I think the conversation was probably "the best you'll do here is off the bench....and it'll be single digit minutes at best." He could have accepted that and stayed. Could have chosen to prove Collins and staff wrong. Maybe injuries get him double digit Big Ten minutes. But with Pardon, Benson and now Nance...he wasn't looking significant time in this, his third year.

So, he went to Colgate and through the grace of God the NCAA let him play this year. He's a starter throwing up big numbers in the Patriot league which he can do for two years. If he's consistent and decent, he has the option to transfer to a power program after next year. If basketball is that important.

Evan Boudreau who NU recruited went to Dartmouth...Ivy rookie of the year...sat out Junior year and graduated...is now at Purdue where he's not starting, but playing major minutes.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and DaCat

brown and vassar both suffered from playing behind mcintosh-itis (and ash). by all accounts an all-big ten player. they both wanted more minutes but didn't do the day in/day out work to unseat bmac for those minutes.

Sorry but I can’t really question Collins on this topic since he did take us to the NCAAs with nearly all of them his own recruits. He’s not an idiot. Sometimes you reach for guys and make a mistake. It’s hard to project development and how a kid will mesh. They were spot-on, 100% right about Pardon. They were very right on Mac and Lindsey. Law obviously was a no brainer.

I’ll take that track record until his misses result in last place finishes or scandal.

Not saying what you think at all. He hits big, lots of potential recruiting hits. I just think it is fair to discuss the hits and misses.

I think that too many are afraid to be critical. Why? That’s the discussion. What did we hit hard, what did we miss. Won’t change anything, but worth discussing. Otherwise, watch the games and turn off the computer.

Not saying what you think at all. He hits big, lots of potential recruiting hits. I just think it is fair to discuss the hits and misses.

I think that too many are afraid to be critical. Why? That’s the discussion. What did we hit hard, what did we miss. Won’t change anything, but worth discussing. Otherwise, watch the games and turn off the computer.

I don't think people are "afraid" of being critical. I think many are just realistic and realize no coach bats 1.000 when it comes to recruiting. Some people want to create drama and air their angst, while others don't see a need for it.

bob, that last 'graph was sort of Jack Nicholson on the stand in a few good men

Max Power drops a couple bombs in his post...pretty good stuff.

Here's the thing on Rap...I think he'd of been a good option against American...big body to throw against the Russian. But you build a roster for the conference which is now 20 games, not pre conference. Rap doesn't have the foot speed to defend middle to upper tier Big Ten 4's and 5's man to man. Do you change up your defense and go to zone for your 7-8-9 guy? Rap's offensive game was within twelve feet of the rim...half court offense and working off of rebounds. Really not a feature.

If he was a top three player on the roster, sure. But I think the conversation was probably "the best you'll do here is off the bench....and it'll be single digit minutes at best." He could have accepted that and stayed. Could have chosen to prove Collins and staff wrong. Maybe injuries get him double digit Big Ten minutes. But with Pardon, Benson and now Nance...he wasn't looking significant time in this, his third year.

So, he went to Colgate and through the grace of God the NCAA let him play this year. He's a starter throwing up big numbers in the Patriot league which he can do for two years. If he's consistent and decent, he has the option to transfer to a power program after next year. If basketball is that important.

Evan Boudreau who NU recruited went to Dartmouth...Ivy rookie of the year...sat out Junior year and graduated...is now at Purdue where he's not starting, but playing major minutes.

All very fair. And the season will tell us. Minutes we see in B1G season and productivity. Rap stats. Heck, maybe rap stats in post season. Colgate even has AU twice.

But let’s see how it plays out. My fear is a CCC doghouse. Rather hear it was academics. I went there, played and had teammates. There were guys that couldn’t cut it. I didn’t think NU was that hard if you put in the effort. That was for A-/B+. Add teammates, fraternities, girlfriends - anyone should be able to get by.

Again, I really am not condemning. I’m saying let’s look. Vassar, Brown, Rap. Plus the BC guys. CCC is doing great things but is there better? For any guys that has spouting the NU experience and education in some argument, is this not worth discussion?

he would of been the 3rd string center at NU this year. and battling Benson, Young, Jones next year.

But Young is a project, let’s see what that is. We have a history of projects going both ways.

And Jones...maybe. Nothing is set in stone yet.

Plus, he could have exited as grad student transfer. This particular year to leave is curious. I thought potential medical retirement. Clearly not the case.

brown and vassar both suffered from playing behind mcintosh-itis (and ash). by all accounts an all-big ten player. they both wanted more minutes but didn't do the day in/day out work to unseat bmac for those minutes.

And this is what we don’t know. A guy has entitlement issues, wears out his entitled welcome, gets sent and demonstrates talent.

No one has showed that to be the case though Rap may be the first if the case. And brown and Vassar are now out there.

The damning case is the empty schollie for the last 20 years.

I don't think people are "afraid" of being critical. I think many are just realistic and realize no coach bats 1.000 when it comes to recruiting. Some people want to create drama and air their angst, while others don't see a need for it.

Others want to talk about everything, not just the complimentary.

This is a big PKK line. I’m accused of being a non fan. But those that read, know I talk about the positive, the hypothetical, and the critical. I go to events. I went to NU. I have actually left blood at NU athletic events and practices. (Don’t cry, looking back, I have left a lot of blood in the world.) I bleed purple.

But for some reason, some have decided any critical conversation about NU athletics, something which is less than perfect, is demonic.

Compared to other less educated boards, most of our critics are fair and raising topics for conversation. But instead of conversing, focusing on refuting concerns, our PKKs choose to attack credibility, fandom, identification, etc.

I might be the issue. My personality doesn’t change for this forum. I’m successful in my day life. I wonder how many of the PKK would enjoy, or do enjoy, success with the complacency they tout for their alma mater when the results are sub optimal. If you finish a project, with some luck but despite considerable error, how many say ‘ok, good job, let’s get paid.’ As a guy with pride, maybe too much, I don’t want my work product to be right by chance. That is embarrassing to me. Even if they don’t know. I do.

This is one of the posts that usually garners zero response.

This is a big PKK line. I’m accused of being a non fan. But those that read, know I talk about the positive, the hypothetical, and the critical. I go to events. I went to NU. I have actually left blood at NU athletic events and practices. (Don’t cry, looking back, I have left a lot of blood in the world.) I bleed purple.

But for some reason, some have decided any critical conversation about NU athletics, something which is less than perfect, is demonic.

Compared to other less educated boards, most of our critics are fair and raising topics for conversation. But instead of conversing, focusing on refuting concerns, our PKKs choose to attack credibility, fandom, identification, etc.

I might be the issue. My personality doesn’t change for this forum. I’m successful in my day life. I wonder how many of the PKK would enjoy, or do enjoy, success with the complacency they tout for their alma mater when the results are sub optimal. If you finish a project, with some luck but despite considerable error, how many say ‘ok, good job, let’s get paid.’ As a guy with pride, maybe too much, I don’t want my work product to be right by chance. That is embarrassing to me. Even if they don’t know. I do.

This is one of the posts that usually garners zero response.

I don't know about others but I've never doubted your passion for NU. Notice I didn't call you any names, but you're quick to pull out the PKK card at the first sign that I don't share your concerns. I don't think Collins is perfect but I fully support what he is doing. Is that wrong?

Reactions: IGNORE2
I don't know about others but I've never doubted your passion for NU. Notice I didn't call you any names, but you're quick to pull out the PKK card at the first sign that I don't share your concerns. I don't think Collins is perfect but I fully support what he is doing. Is that wrong?

Nope, you are welcome to blindly support anything. And I think are but one of many posters here. There might be others that fall squarely within the prose of my message. Hello Va.

I think Collins has the hardest job imaginable. He's been fishing in the 100-200 level pond to compete against teams fishing in the 30-100 pond. Will he have more misses than those in the better ponds? Absolutely. Does that make him a subpar coach. No way. He is showing significant progress. He is aiming high and having some success.

He has moved us to the 70-150 pond and improving. We have had some near misses that would have significantly improved our outlook but we are not there yet. the new facilities will help in future years but it is probably 2 more years away.

Significant progress. Continual improvement. Not where we want to be but on the right trajectory. Its an impossible job but we are having some successes. It doesn't make me long for the Ricky Birdsong years. Ha.

Reactions: catfans5
Klick? Really?
Is there a listing of all klick members? Is this the same organization as the Purple Koolaid Klan that I have heard so much about? Do you apply for admission? Do you have to renew dues each season? Is there a President, COO and Treasurer? Is the Negative Nellie Nuts (NNN) the foil to this PKK? Sounds like an interesting club.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Is there a listing of all klick members? Is this the same organization as the Purple Koolaid Klan that I have heard so much about? Do you apply for admission? Do you have to renew dues each season? Is there a President, COO and Treasurer? Is the Negative Nellie Nuts (NNN) the foil to this PKK? Sounds like an interesting club.

Don't know much about this organization of which you speak, but wonder whether, as a charter member of the Board Police, I can qualify...

Wait why is Rapolis playing this season? Shouldn’t have had to sit out this year due to the transfer? Isiah Brown is. Why was Rapolis granted a hardship?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT