ADVERTISEMENT

Redshirt proposal would allow redshirts to play any 4 games and still get credit

Seriously, the NCAA is squeezing every bit out of their low cost, high profit labor pool with stuff like this. Any player benefits from OJT like this, but the real benefit is the added depth for programs as injuries grow due to longer seasons. More games = more revenue while labor costs remain fixed. NCAA profits grow. Imagine that.

My opinion on this issue has pretty much flipped 180 degrees over the past five years or so. Kain Colter was right. The players are enabling this pie but not receiving much additional benefit. The real smart ones figure it out enough to attend highly regarded schools that offer a meaningful degree and career network, but most are laboring for the NCAA industrial media complex with peanuts for compensation.

Give scholarship players healthcare to age 30 (or longer). Give them a stipend. Basically what they get today is a thank you, a handshake, and busted joints.

Last edited:
If you can play in four games don't see need to redshirt. I thought the purpose of going to school was to get a degree. Would encourage teams to only play freshman blue chippers in key games...bad idea. I doubt that the B1G supports.
It's a really shady policy, I agree. Strictly for a football sense, it would be interesting. But it would only further the traveshamocracy that is the NCAA.

It's a really shady policy, I agree. Strictly for a football sense, it would be interesting. But it would only further the traveshamocracy that is the NCAA.
Quite sure Minnesota would back that type of plan. Hey, they yet let a player suspended from the school. practice with he school's basketball team.

If you can play in four games don't see need to redshirt. I thought the purpose of going to school was to get a degree. Would encourage teams to only play freshman blue chippers in key games...bad idea. I doubt that the B1G supports.
Disagree with only playing blue chippers in big games, because true blue chippers are likely to go to the nfl 3 years after high school if there redshirted or not.

Must have pretty expensive state schools where you're from.
Buddy of mine sent his kid to U of I in state in Computer Science. Cost to him was about $38K per year. Tuition for U of I is officially only about $12-13k but the fees add about $8k and if you want in a program that might actually prepare you for a job like science of business, add on a few thousand more. And that is just tuition. And since IL scholarships are now more need based, even though he was one of the very best in the state of IL, they told him that as a middle class white male, he was lucky they let him in.

Not a fan. This sounds like real baloney. Either you're redshirting someone or not. I could see coaches using this to give a freshman player a sort of "trial run" in OOC games to see if he worked out or not and, if not, sitting him for the rest of the season.

Buddy of mine sent his kid to U of I in state in Computer Science. Cost to him was about $38K per year. Tuition for U of I is officially only about $12-13k but the fees add about $8k and if you want in a program that might actually prepare you for a job like science of business, add on a few thousand more. And that is just tuition. And since IL scholarships are now more need based, even though he was one of the very best in the state of IL, they told him that as a middle class white male, he was lucky they let him in.
He was lucky. Would have had a better chance if he came from overseas and put more into U oF I coffers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT