ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarships and Title 9

jimmyNU

Sep 12, 2005
#FireMcCall
I am wondering if the NCAA's decision to pay athletes will ultimately lead to the demise of women's sports. From what I understand, Title 9 led to an equal split of scholarships between men's and women's sports.

Starting in 2025, NCAA athletes will be W2 employees of the schools. So, a school could decide to have 100 paid athletic employees, 16 for men's basketball and 84 for football. They could pay them all $200k per year and give them a 90% discount on tuition. No need for scholarships,and no reason to keep women's sports programs.

I don't think most of us will like the destination to which we are headed.

Victory and Honor,
Jim

I am wondering if the NCAA's decision to pay athletes will ultimately lead to the demise of women's sports. From what I understand, Title 9 led to an equal split of scholarships between men's and women's sports.

Starting in 2025, NCAA athletes will be W2 employees of the schools. So, a school could decide to have 100 paid athletic employees, 16 for men's basketball and 84 for football. They could pay them all $200k per year and give them a 90% discount on tuition. No need for scholarships,and no reason to keep women's sports programs.

Victory and Honor,
Jim
A more likely outcome is the elimination of the cushy jobs that have permeated athletic departments the last two decades. I don’t think people realize how many people are actually employed by some Athletic
Departments. An article I read this week indicated that Ohio State had 139 athletic department employees earning over $100K.

Victory and Honor,
Jim
I think the courts would rule that the 100 male sports employees playing football and basketball as sports position and require the school provide an equivalent number of scholarships for women. Pay does not have to be equal but as long as the school engages in sports, they must provide equal opportunity for women. It’s not going to be easy, but the school must maintain a resemblance of equivalent numbers in sport activities.

Will depend on whether "equal opportunity" means equal pay.

There's a good argument that it does not.

The equal opportunity is having enough sports for female athletes to have a chance to compete and earn a scholarship.

If they want to get paid like FB players, then their respective sport needs to generate more revenue (adding to this argument is that most male athletes who play other sports wouldn't see the compensation that the FB players get either).

Last edited:
Will depend on whether "equal opportunity" means equal pay.

There's a good argument that it does not.

The equal opportunity is having enough sports for female athletes to have a chance to compete and earn a scholarship.

If they want to get paid like FB players, then their respective sport needs to generate more revenue (adding to this argument is that most male athletes who play other sports wouldn't see the compensation that the FB players get).
To me, equal opportunity means that women’s basketball players must make the same as men’s basketball player if the revenue is equal. Otherwise, they are only allowed to get the same percentage of revenue from their sports as the men’s teams do for their sports. It does mean they would get something based on how much they are shown on television and viewership as well as ticket sales, but it is the sport that generates the revenue. So, if a women plays on the men’s basketball or football team, they need to get equal pay. However, nothing in the settlement or title IX says revenue generated by a male sports team must be equally shared with all other sports, male or female.

I have a hunch there will be plenty of missteps and bad decisions. Hopefully we won’t make a lot of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT