ADVERTISEMENT

Second-half thread for Iowa vs. NU

this is what frustrates me about Collins. He needs to hire an offensive guru to get a more dynamic offense. This bleeding the clock and throwing up a poor percentage shot is old. The refs did us no favors with the ass crap job they did but there needs to be a change

Iowa doesn't have better players. It is just a vastly better-coached team. I still can't figure out what the hell NU is trying to do offensively out there. Iowa had a solid game plan and executed it relentlessly.
I am not so sure they don’t have better players. Their Freshman that lit us up would be NU’s highest recruit of all time. If Cook played, I would definitely disagree. They are ranked in the top 30 and we are not.

Yeah, the worst defensive team in the conference suddenly figured out how to play defense without fouling, on the road where they had not done anything resembling that no less. And one of the best defensive teams in the conference suddenly forgot how to play defense without committing a boatload of fouls. Dream on.
I think you're the one who is dreaming. The foul differential resulted entirely from the different offensive game plans of the teams. One draws fouls; the other doesn't. And don't accuse me of being an Iowa homer. I have degrees from both schools but cheer for NU in head-to-head match-ups.

Yeah, the worst defensive team in the conference suddenly figured out how to play defense without fouling, on the road where they had not done anything resembling that no less. And one of the best defensive teams in the conference suddenly forgot how to play defense without committing a boatload of fouls. Dream on.
I am not saying the refs weren’t bad, but they are not the reason this is a L.

Reactions: Fitz51 and HawkCat
I think you're the one who is dreaming. The foul differential resulted entirely from the different offensive game plans of the teams. One draws fouls; the other doesn't. And don't accuse me of being an Iowa homer. I have degrees from both schools but cheer for NU in head-to-head match-ups.

So how did the worst defensive team in the BIG in one game, figure how how to play great D without fouling? And one of the best defensive in the BIG forget how to play defense without boatloads of fouls? And how our center can be cracked in the face by an elbow, have a foul called, and have it erased on replay, which completely changed the game? Can you answer those questions?

this is what frustrates me about Collins. He needs to hire an offensive guru to get a more dynamic offense. This bleeding the clock and throwing up a poor percentage shot is old. The refs did us no favors with the ass crap job they did but there needs to be a change
Our offense involves one guy dribbling around. Anytime you see Law acting as lead guard and dribbling for 20 seconds and then taking a contested shot, you are not actually running any offense. I think we need to play Greer a lot more and let him try to distribute. It will be ugly at times, but it will be better for the team in the long run.

So how did the worst defensive team in the BIG in one game, figure how how to play great D without fouling? And one of the best defensive in the BIG forget how to play defense without boatloads of fouls? And how our center can be cracked in the face by an elbow, have a foul called, and have it erased on replay, which completely changed the game? Can you answer those questions?
Come on. We have had foul issues all year. And Iowa didn't play great defense. We just played no semblance of an offense, and settled for a lot of dribbling and taking crappy shots.

Yeah, we had some lazy fouls and the ref’s found their rhythm of expecting to call a foul and they obliged. I did think Garza was throwing people around without a call, but again, we lose either way. Have to look in the mirror for this loss.

Reactions: drewjin
I am not saying the refs weren’t bad, but they are not the reason this is a L.

They shot 26 free throws to our 16. At home (where statistically, home teams shoot more free throws than their opponents), with Iowa having the worst defense in the BIG. You know how many times that has probably happened in the BIG in the last 10 years? Without even looking, I would, suspect less than 1% of games. I knew we were going to lose when that Benson call was inexplicably reversed, and then A.J. Turner drives the lane, gets absolutely hammered, and no call.

Come on. We have had foul issues all year. And Iowa didn't play great defense. We just played no semblance of an offense, and settled for a lot of dribbling and taking crappy shots.

Agree to disagree I guess. I counted at least five off-ball fouls on Iowa that were completely missed, and zero on us.

Yeah, we had some lazy fouls and the ref’s found their rhythm of expecting to call a foul and they obliged. I did think Garza was throwing people around without a call, but again, we lose either way. Have to look in the mirror for this loss.

If Garza is on the bench with 5 fouls where he should have been , they have zero inside presence, and the whole game changes...

A more balanced game from the refs would have put 55 on the bench or fouled out with 12 minutes left in the game. So Tim OU could blame them for that. Calling the obv flagrant foul might have shifted the energy for the Cats rather than empowering free reign for Iowa.

But they were t really that good and the cats should have beaten them with defense. Even with bad officiating this was a winnable game and they didn’t win. So that’s disappointing.

Reactions: mikewebb68
Our offense involves one guy dribbling around. Anytime you see Law acting as lead guard and dribbling for 20 seconds and then taking a contested shot, you are not actually running any offense. I think we need to play Greer a lot more and let him try to distribute. It will be ugly at times, but it will be better for the team in the long run.
Greer has to take it to the hole. He did his fair share of pounding the ball too. I would like to see him get aggressive, but our freshman defer and in a game where Law couldn’t throw it in the ocean, we had to get to the line. Turner and Gaines were successful when driving, but didn’t do it enough.

A more balanced game from the refs would have put 55 on the bench or fouled out with 12 minutes left in the game. So you could blame them for that. Calling the obv flagrant foul might have shifted the energy for the Cats rather than empowering free reign for Iowa.

But they were t really that good and the cats should have beaten them with defense. Even with bad officiating this was a winnable game and they didn’t win. So that’s disappointing.

We lost the game because we played terrible basketball for the last 15 minutes, not because of referees. Our guys didn't defend well and legitimately fouled too much. We took too many bad shots that were forced because of bad offensive flow (other than when we were able to spring Taylor for a few open looks and Turner went around guy for a dunk). And the elbow thing wasn't a foul because you're entitled to pivot without a guy sticking his face into your space. I thought that was a bad call right away, but I actually didn't know they could take the foul off the board.

If Garza is on the bench with 5 fouls where he should have been , they have zero inside presence, and the whole game changes...
Sorry Mike, but we got what we deserved in this game. They had better looks, a better plan and better execution. If Cook plays we lose by 15 if we run this offense. I have no idea what the offense was trying to do and the lack of an experienced PG has absolutely killed this team. With one, I think we are a tourney team. Why don’t our bigger guards post up once in awhile. We live and die by the jump shot. No one can get the ball to Pardon against a quality team. Maybe against any Big Ten team.

The refs made the right call on the Garza elbow play, and they are clearly allowed to take the offensive foul off the board- see Play #2 of the link I have provided below. Whether or not the refs should be allowed to take the foul off the board is a completely different discussion, but they clearly and obviously made the correct call the way the rule is currently constructed.

https://ncaambb.arbitersports.com/G...Clarifications_and_Play_Situations_111716.pdf

We lost the game because we played terrible basketball for the last 15 minutes, not because of referees. Our guys didn't defend well and legitimately fouled too much. We took too many bad shots that were forced because of bad offensive flow (other than when we were able to spring Taylor for a few open looks and Turner went around guy for a dunk). And the elbow thing wasn't a foul because you're entitled to pivot without a guy sticking his face into your space. I thought that was a bad call right away, but I actually didn't know they could take the foul off the board.

Show me some games where the worst defensive team in the BIG played one of the best on the road, where there was this type of a foul disparity. Then I'll agree with you.

The refs made the right call on the Garza elbow play, and they are clearly allowed to take the offensive foul off the board- see Play #2 of the link I have provided below. Whether or not the refs should be allowed to take the foul off the board is a completely different discussion, but they clearly and obviously made the correct call the way the rule is currently constructed.

https://ncaambb.arbitersports.com/G...Clarifications_and_Play_Situations_111716.pdf

If Garza had gotten cracked in the face with that elbow, would you feel the same way?

If Garza had gotten cracked in the face with that elbow, would you feel the same way?

After reading the rule and watching the play, I would probably think it is BS that the refs are allowed to take the offensive foul off the board, but I don’t think anyone can watch the replay and sincerely believe that Garza committed an offensive foul.

Show me some games where the worst defensive team in the BIG played one of the best on the road, where there was this type of a foul disparity. Then I'll agree with you.
This is a weak argument that you keep repeating. All you had to do was watch the game to understand it.

Reactions: mrdr89

Iowa is 2nd in the country in free throw attempts and has shot ~ 200 more FT attempts than their opponents this year. A 10 FT disparity is not so unusual when one team pounds the ball inside and attacks the rim, and the other team launches jump shots all game.

Reactions: mrdr89 and HawkCat
After reading the rule and watching the play, I would probably think it is BS that the refs are allowed to take the offensive foul off the board, but I don’t think anyone can watch the replay and sincerely believe that Garza committed an offensive foul.
I can watch the play and sincerely believe that he was trying to hit Benson in the face with his elbow.

I do. I think he had full control of the ball, had solid position, had Benson on his hip, looked at Benson and swung his elbow at nose level to clear Benson out.

Had Benson moved into Garza's space different story. But Garza and Benson went after the same ball and ended up next to one another.

It was borderline flagrant because Garza looked at him first. Again, if Garza had his back to Benson and couldn't see Benson's face when he started to swing his elbow different story. But that wasn't the case.

Iowa is 2nd in the country in free throw attempts and has shot ~ 200 more FT attempts than their opponents this year. A 10 FT disparity is not so unusual when one team pounds the ball inside and attacks the rim, and the other team launches jump shots all game.
We certainly committed more fouls in the game than Iowa. Garza is the only one I noticed that I thought got away with stuff. We made it too easy on the refs. Drive more and we get those tick tack fouls too,

I do. I think he had full control of the ball, had solid position, had Benson on his hip, looked at Benson and swung his elbow at nose level to clear Benson out.

Had Benson moved into Garza's space different story. But Garza and Benson went after the same ball and ended up next to one another.

It was borderline flagrant because Garza looked at him first. Again, if Garza had his back to Benson and couldn't see Benson's face when he started to swing his elbow different story. But that wasn't the case.
Garza has always been a chippy player. He should have fouled out of this game based on how they were calling fouls. The rest of the calls on us were hard to argue. I do think in general there seems to be way more fouls called this season than last. Really slows the game down and takes the crowd out of it. I thought the Illinois officiating was much worse.

I sorta like how Garza plays. He does a lot with what he has. Always hustling.

Benson was straddling Garza’s legs and was standing with his chest up against Garza’s back. Garza had the ball. It doesn’t matter if they were going for the same loose ball or not; as the player with possession of the ball, Garza is entitled to his space. The way the rules are constructed it was an obvious foul on Benson, not Garza.

Also, LOL at you (apparently) believing that Garza saw Benson and intentionally elbowed him in the face. That is so far from the reality of the play that I don’t even know what to tell you.

Reactions: mrdr89
What the hell is Law doing? How does Collins allow that? That was just childish. By the way... why do our freshmen need time to develop but other freshmen around the league step right in and contribute. This Wiezman kid is killing us.
Weiskamp was leading scorer in Iowa high school history, but he also plays defense, rebounds, and is just overall smart player. B10 better take notice!

Garza has always been a chippy player. He should have fouled out of this game based on how they were calling fouls. The rest of the calls on us were hard to argue. I do think in general there seems to be way more fouls called this season than last. Really slows the game down and takes the crowd out of it. I thought the Illinois officiating was much worse.

I would much prefer a college game where the refs call more fouls, even if it slows down the game. I am so sick of seeing refs call obvious flops offensive fouls (not that this was an issue in this game), and I do not enjoy watching the Michigan State type defense where defenders are allowed to ride/body check the ballhandlers as they are dribbling. Northwestern got called for a few of those today, which surprised me- typically those fouls get called in the non-conference, but completely evaporate once conference play rolls around. Iowa typically doesn’t have to worry about those calls; they just give the ballhandler an open drive to the basket instead:rolleyes:

Iowa doesn't have better players. It is just a vastly better-coached team. I still can't figure out what the hell NU is trying to do offensively out there. Iowa had a solid game plan and executed it relentlessly.
And just think, your squad losses a lot of seniors after this season, so should be downhill in future.

You certainly didn’t watch the same game I did. Heck, Iowa got screwed on a couple fouls, particularly the bogus charging foul against Daily after he stole the ball and was going on the break.

By focusing on improving your weakness (moving feet on defense) and the home team being over-confident, lazy when seeing that the opponents best player is out with an injury. Does that help? Geez, I thought you Northwestern elitists were supposed to be so smart.

Are the stars out tonight?? Oh no just Iowa trolls...been a while since we’ve seen you guys around. Care to hop on over to the football board?

This is a weak argument that you keep repeating. All you had to do was watch the game to understand it.
You win. Iowa suddenly and inexplicably figured out how to do something in the road that they have not done all year; play fantastic defense without fouling. But before I concede, rewatch the game, focus just on Garza, and see how many fouls he gets away with. Thrn focus on both our centers and how many fouls they were getting away with. You might be surprised at what you find out!

As an aside, a telltale sign that the refs had an off night is that one of them tried to have a fan ejected. The ratio of well-officiated games to games where refs attempt to remove a spectator is close to zero percent. Teddy TV wpuld have done a better job than the head referee tonight, and that is saying a lot...

Iowa has played defensed without fouling all year. The free throw rate by Iowa's opponents (number of FT attempts per FG attempts) is among the top 40 in the country. Why Iowa has been so poor on defense has to do with two things: a) teams shoot a great percentage on 2-point shots against Iowa due to getting a huge number of dunks and layups; and b) teams don't turn it over against Iowa. Wildcats didn't turn it over much, but made only 15-30 2 point shots (with a lot of them point blank ones near the rim) and settled for a ton of contested 3's (making just 7 of 27). By contrast, Nebraska made 26-42 2-pointers against Iowa, and Purdue a ridiculous 24-38. Garza and Kriener are big, but not shot blockers. Northwestern settled for way too many jump shots and missed a good number of close-in shots they should have/could have made.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT