ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Illustrated shuffles the deck chairs with this week's Bowl Projections

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
Last week SI had Northwestern headed to the Holiday Bowl. This week we have dropped from a Tier Two Bowl to a Tier Three Bowl despite our shutout win. And despite their loss, Michigan has been slotted in to fill the Holiday Tier Two vacancy.

Michigan State though is the team that is actually doing the leap frogging as SI had Michigan playing in the Outback last week and has now plugged MSU into that slot bumping them up from last week's Tier Three status.

Interestingly Stanford still stays the PAC-12 team playing in the Holiday so the snubbing does not seem to have anything to do with match ups.

Here are where SI's Eric Single now sees the B1G teams being placed:

WEDNESDAY, DEC. 27

New Era Pinstripe Bowl, New York (5:15 p.m., ESPN)
ACC vs. Big Ten
Virginia Tech vs. Indiana

Foster Farms Bowl, Santa Clara, Calif. (8 p.m., FOX)
Big Ten vs. Pac-12
Iowa vs. Washington

THURSDAY, DEC. 28

San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl, San Diego (9 p.m., FS1)
Big Ten vs. Pac-12
Michigan vs. Stanford

FRIDAY, DEC. 29

Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl, Nashville, Tenn. (4:30 p.m., ESPN)
SEC vs. Big Ten or ACC
Kentucky vs. Northwestern

MONDAY, JAN. 1, 2018
Outback Bowl, Tampa, Fla. (12 p.m., ESPN2)
Big Ten vs. SEC
Michigan State vs. South Carolina

Citrus Bowl, Orlando, Fla. (1 p.m., ABC)
SEC vs. ACC/Big Ten
Mississippi State vs. Penn State

NEW YEAR'S SIX BOWLS

Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, Atlanta (Jan. 1, 12:30 p.m., ESPN)
At-large vs. At-Large
UCF vs. Ohio State

Allstate Sugar Bowl, New Orleans (Jan. 1, 8:45 p.m., ESPN)
CFP semifinalist vs. CFP semifinalist
Alabama vs. Wisconsin

https://www.si.com/college-football...ns-schedule-matchups-week-12-playoff-rankings

Here is a link containing last week's projections.

https://northwestern.forums.rivals....e-holiday-bowl-playing-stanford-per-si.34963/

Last edited:
Reactions: GlideCat
Last week SI had Northwestern headed to the Holiday Bowl. This week we have dropped from a Tier Two Bowl to a Tier Three Bowl despite our shutout win. And despite their loss, Michigan has been slotted in to fill the Holiday Tier Two vacancy.

Michigan State though is the team that is actually doing the leap frogging as SI had Michigan playing in the Outback last week and has now plugged MSU into that slot bumping them up from last week's Tier Three status.

Interestingly Stanford still stays the PAC-12 team playing in the Holiday so the snubbing does not seem to have anything to do with match ups.

Here are where SI's Eric Single now sees the B1G teams being placed:

WEDNESDAY, DEC. 27

New Era Pinstripe Bowl, New York (5:15 p.m., ESPN)
ACC vs. Big Ten
Virginia Tech vs. Indiana

Foster Farms Bowl, Santa Clara, Calif. (8 p.m., FOX)
Big Ten vs. Pac-12
Iowa vs. Washington

THURSDAY, DEC. 28

San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl, San Diego (9 p.m., FS1)
Big Ten vs. Pac-12
Michigan vs. Stanford

FRIDAY, DEC. 29

Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl, Nashville, Tenn. (4:30 p.m., ESPN)
SEC vs. Big Ten or ACC
Kentucky vs. Northwestern

MONDAY, JAN. 1, 2018
Outback Bowl, Tampa, Fla. (12 p.m., ESPN2)
Big Ten vs. SEC
Michigan State vs. South Carolina

Citrus Bowl, Orlando, Fla. (1 p.m., ABC)
SEC vs. ACC/Big Ten
Mississippi State vs. Penn State

NEW YEAR'S SIX BOWLS

Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, Atlanta (Jan. 1, 12:30 p.m., ESPN)
At-large vs. At-Large
UCF vs. Ohio State

Allstate Sugar Bowl, New Orleans (Jan. 1, 8:45 p.m., ESPN)
CFP semifinalist vs. CFP semifinalist
Alabama vs. Wisconsin

https://www.si.com/college-football...ns-schedule-matchups-week-12-playoff-rankings

Here is a link containing last week's projections.

https://northwestern.forums.rivals....e-holiday-bowl-playing-stanford-per-si.34963/
I'd love a bowl game in Nashville.

Reactions: willycat
Michigan State plays Rutgers Saturday and Northwestern plays Illinois. Interestingly MSU is 2nd in the B10 East and we are 2nd in the B10 West. Both schools are likely to win their final games. As noted above, SI already has MSU leaping out of Tier 3 into Tier 2 while NU is allowed to drop from Tier 2 to Tier 3. This despite the fact that we hold the tie breaker and after the likely Saturday wins Northwestern will be 9-3 (7-2) and Michigan State will be 8-3 (6-2).

So as was suggested eons ago, Northwestern's bowl placement looks like it will be impacted by where the two schools from the glove shaped state end up. If the glove fits are we convicted?

Last edited:
So they have Wisconsin winning out but OSU getting a NY6 bid? Wouldn't OSU then have 3 losses? Seems unlikely they would get NY6 ahead of 2 loss PSU

So they have Wisconsin winning out but OSU getting a NY6 bid? Wouldn't OSU then have 3 losses? Seems unlikely they would get NY6 ahead of 2 loss PSU

Interesting observation. Of course if anyone is going to get a break from the committee, it will be OSU. I can hear it now, "OSU played a close game [assuming they do] and we give less weight to a championship loss since Penn State probably would have lost to Wisconsin as well." Then too, Ohio State beat Penn State in their head-to-head game, even if it was only by one point.

Last edited:
Michigan State plays Rutgers Saturday and Northwestern plays Illinois. Interestingly MSU is 2nd in the B10 East and we are 2nd in the B10 West. Both schools are likely to win their final games. As noted above, SI already has MSU leaping out of Tier 3 into Tier 2 while NU is allowed to drop from Tier 2 to Tier 3. This despite the fact that we hold the tie breaker and after the likely Saturday wins Northwestern will be 9-3 (7-2) and Michigan State will be 8-3 (6-2).

So as was suggested eons ago, Northwestern's bowl placement looks like it will be impacted by where the two schools from the glove shaped state end up. If the glove fits are we convicted?
MSU is already 8-3 (6-2). Why wouldn't they get credit for their win over Rutgers?

MSU is already 8-3 (6-2). Why wouldn't they get credit for their win over Rutgers?

That is what I get for relying on internet reporting. I thought if it was on the internet it had to be correct.

Well, we still have the tie breaker with MSU.

It's good, then, that Sports Illustrated doesn't make the actual picks.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
There is no "tie breaker". A head-to-head 3 OT win isn't especially persuasive. MSU's wins over PSU and Michigan are at least as significant to the committees.

Yeah, I should have put it in quotes. Obviously we only have the "tie breaker" as a talking point.

It would be easier for me to attend the game in Nashville/never been there b4 too/= bring it on! Does anybody know?- is Kentucky any good at football? I don't know a lot about their team/history. I guess I should start my research! I think it sucks that Michigan&msu would usurp us for a better bowl even though we are better than both of them this year. That is what SI is alleging here?

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT