ADVERTISEMENT

Summer League

Cat Fan in Buckeye Land

Jan 28, 2008
I see a couple days ago that Alex Olah will be playing Summer League with the Pelicans. I found an updated list of other teams, and found Drew Crawford will be playing with the Raptors this summer. I have to imagine as teams fill in their rosters, Tre may get an opportunity somewhere.

I see a couple days ago that Alex Olah will be playing Summer League with the Pelicans. I found an updated list of other teams, and found Drew Crawford will be playing with the Raptors this summer. I have to imagine as teams fill in their rosters, Tre may get an opportunity somewhere.

Auditions for Europe. Proud of Hearn for sticking with the DLeague, but the pay is crap. If a guy feels like he is getting older, he has to go to Europe and cash in while he can.

Yeah, John Shurna seems to have done quite well for himself overseas. It is definitely a more lucrative option than the D-League.
I really think the NBA should make the investment to make it a more attractive choice for players.

Why? The NBA can get players from anywhere in the world. The D League is well below the level of most Euro leagues, and players who have game go to Europe first.
The NBA has a totally free minor league that is a better talent source than their D-league in the NCAA. No reason for the NBA to sink a dime into a minor league system - same with the NFL.

The NBA has a totally free minor league that is a better talent source than their D-league in the NCAA. No reason for the NBA to sink a dime into a minor league system - same with the NFL.
And that's the problem. Kids, who in many instances have little if any interest or academics to attend colleges are essentially forced to attend in order to be noticed by the NBA or NFL. MLB has a very good minor league system where many kids skip college and start their vocation straight out of high school. That's exactly where the NBA and NFL should be forced to set up as well. Stop with the nonsense that a kids graduating class has to two? years past or one must be a certain age, which leads to the one and done kids and many kids who have no business in a college classroom. That's where the problems start when programs recruit kids who end up more often on the police blotter then on the score sheet or others who take classes that in no way qualify them for a degree. All of this leads to schools lying and cheating and super expensive arms race on facilities and not to mention exorbitant coaches salaries.

The nba should invest in a league specifically for players who don't want to go to college and stop the farce that is the age limit. Let kids who want college play college, make virtually everyone draftable (MLB style) and let players who are ready play right away. (I bet Kentucky fans feel great connection to 'whoever it was' that got drafted in the top ten this year. Of course, it's free to let the colleges do it.

Last edited:
The nba should invest in a league specifically for players who don't want to go to college and stop the farce that is the age limit.

The NBA/NFL doesn't have to do a damn thing. They're a private business and can make decisions that they believe will benefit them the most. If these kids don't want to go to college...there are other avenues where they can still pursue their professional sports dreams. Nobody is making them go to school.
Strong-arming a company into making rules that could very well be a detriment to their product is wrong on so many levels...

The NBA/NFL doesn't have to do a damn thing. They're a private business and can make decisions that they believe will benefit them the most. If these kids don't want to go to college...there are other avenues where they can still pursue their professional sports dreams. Nobody is making them go to school.
Strong-arming a company into making rules that could very well be a detriment to their product is wrong on so many levels...
VW, you have a strange view of the world when you think some message board blowhard envisaging something that will never exist is "strong-arming."

I would argue, however, that such a league would benefit their product. How much more suited to play for the Bulls next year would Denzel Valentine be if he had played 240 games (guessing 60 per season, a shortened nba schedule) and practiced 34 months under pro coaches (guessing 8.5 per year, a short version of the nba schedule) under pro coaches than having practiced 24 months and having played 160 games while also having played school. There's even a chance that he'd have gotten a callup or two!

I think an nba equivalent of the AZL or GCL - where mostly 17-21 year olds play pro baseball from June through September on spring training complexes in front of scouts and a spare prospects reporter and nobody else - played in Vegas or Indy or, shoot, the albatross in Hoffman Estates, while players live in team-owned facilities (or not) - could be great for nba development and, given basketball junkie culture, could probably make some money (especially in New Orleans or Miami or Seattle [oooh, not Seattle]). That doesn't mean it'll happen. (But maybe I should flesh it out and send Adam Silver an email.)

And that's the problem. Kids, who in many instances have little if any interest or academics to attend colleges are essentially forced to attend in order to be noticed by the NBA or NFL. MLB has a very good minor league system where many kids skip college and start their vocation straight out of high school. That's exactly where the NBA and NFL should be forced to set up as well. Stop with the nonsense that a kids graduating class has to two? years past or one must be a certain age, which leads to the one and done kids and many kids who have no business in a college classroom. That's where the problems start when programs recruit kids who end up more often on the police blotter then on the score sheet or others who take classes that in no way qualify them for a degree. All of this leads to schools lying and cheating and super expensive arms race on facilities and not to mention exorbitant coaches salaries.
For the NFL, at least, I always assumed that the typical high school graduate needs a couple of years of development before he's physically ready to match up against NFL-caliber players. Kids at that age are still growing and would be at a disadvantage if they tried to make the jump straight to the NFL.

I agree with VW, let the NBA do what it wants. If the biggest downside of the current system is that these kids get a year of college education, even if they don't want to be there, it's not the end of the world. How many aspiring professional baseball players skip college to chase their baseball dream and it ends up costing them down the line when they don't make it to the majors? I bet there are a lot of ex-basketball players who never made it to the NBA but are thankful that they got a college degree while chasing their basketball dream, even if they didn't see the value in it at the time.

Reactions: YesterdaysCat

I agree with you, Virginia. It's simply not in the leagues' best interests to have 18-year-old kids on the payroll, especially kids who--in all likelihood--won't be meaningful contributors for several years. Besides scratching the NCAA's back with the age limits, the NBA and the NFL benefit from the positive public relations associated with being "pro-higher education."

I see no reason why the leagues should willfully choose to ignore what benefits them, as long as they operate lawfully. In today's political climate, it's unlikely that Congress will threaten the leagues with anti-trust hearings over the age limit. More likely? The next LeBron will take the NBA to court and find a sympathetic judge. That will only happen if the next LeBron is backed by his sneaker company. And as we all know, the sneaker company would probably favor pushing Next LeBron to Duke or whatever program said sneaker company outfits.

For the NFL, at least, I always assumed that the typical high school graduate needs a couple of years of development before he's physically ready to match up against NFL-caliber players. Kids at that age are still growing and would be at a disadvantage if they tried to make the jump straight to the NFL.

I too made that assumption but more likely it's the emotional maturity that concerns the NFL. Redshirt frosh won the Heisman (Manziel and Winston) and they were physically ready for sure, but emotionally? It hasn't worked out.

And we saw that in the NBA over and over before the "one and done" rule went into place. Physically ready (usually point guards) but not emotionally mature.

We are obviously just creating noise in the Internet echo chamber here, but I have a few comments:
1 - On an operating basis, any such developmental league is relatively inexpensive in terms of player cost. This is because minor-league baseball players are typically paid a very low in-season salary, less than $2000 per month at the low levels. Such a system does, however, including annual outlay of signing bonuses. Such a system could also possibly include, as I stated things like costs of housing players.
2 - While it's easy to ask whether a mandatory year in college is truly a downside, you are talking about an impoverished population forgoing a year of earning power. That's money that could change their lives immediately. The students are forced to go to college for one year, when they could already be helping their families significantly.
3 - I worked in minor-league baseball and worked closely with players for five years. It takes tremendous maturity to succeed as a 19 or 20-year-old as a professional. There was no rule or no common background that determined whether they would succeed.
4 - The NBA already has a leg up on MLB, because the NBA has established international draft procedures.
5 - Baseball's draft has restrictions. There are caveats, but basically 1) you sign out of high school, or 2) you sign out of junior college, or 3) you play three years of major college ball. If the NBA gave a no college or minimum two years college option, I think it would be good for the college game as well. You'd have college stars for two years, and you'd have a better quality of play because players would be in their systems longer.
6 - if anyone wants to help collaborate on the business plan to Adam Silver, I'm open.

We are obviously just creating noise in the Internet echo chamber here, but I have a few comments:
1 - On an operating basis, any such developmental league is relatively inexpensive in terms of player cost. This is because minor-league baseball players are typically paid a very low in-season salary, less than $2000 per month at the low levels. Such a system does, however, including annual outlay of signing bonuses. Such a system could also possibly include, as I stated things like costs of housing players.

Travel costs are pretty rough.

Honestly, the D-League is already in place....and kids can play in it right out of high school.

Travel costs are pretty rough.

Honestly, the D-League is already in place....and kids can play in it right out of high school.
I've proposed single-site (likely in two different cities)
Play them all at the same gym.
Sell, say, eight four-game sessions a week - Fri night, all day Saturday, Sunday afternoon, and double sessions T and W. That's two games a week for 16 teams, in two locations.

There are two main distinctions between my league and the D league:
- Mine is developmental in nature, for 18-20 year olds; the D-League is for guys hanging on.
- Mine is for prospects - guys who have peen paid a bonus and are expected to eventually become NBA'ers.

(Those might be the same thing.)

This idea is so good, maybe somebody should join with me and we should just challenge the NBA. Maybe Trump will back us after this election business is done.

Last edited:
I remember the old Eastern Basketball League (EBL). The league was loaded with NBA wannabes and defense was optional. It really served as a league that the NBA teams could develop players and call them up during the season

I was fortunate to see the Trenton Colonials play frequently ,led by Wally Choice. Wally led the league in scoring annually but I am not sure he ever set foot in the defensive half of the court. George Blaney was one of their guards

The EBL had teams in Eastern Pennsylvania -Wilkes-Barre Barons, Scranton Miners, Sunbury(sic), Hazleton etc

150 points/ game was not unusual for a team.

Bob Love was my favorite Colonial and he had a pretty good NBA career

EBL level players now play in Europe and believe me D League teams would not stand a chance against the old EBL teams

Anyone else remember the EBL ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT