ADVERTISEMENT

SUPERBACK MARSHALL LANG COMMITS TO NU

Won’t help our ranking in the near term but hope sites evaluate him soon. Looked like another big frame, high upside fluid athlete. Could be DE, TE, SB ultimately. Blocked with some attitude as well.

Welcome to NU Marshall! Look forward to seeing you play. Great decision by us and by you.

Won’t help our ranking in the near term but hope sites evaluate him soon. Looked like another big frame, high upside fluid athlete. Could be DE, TE, SB ultimately. Blocked with some attitude as well.
Who cares about the ranking if he can play. I will always trust TMac’s live assessment more than any website’s stars.

St. Xavier is an Ohio powerhouse and maintaining a pipeline from Cincinnati is key. I thought Larkin was a St X grad but he came from La Salle, as did Jordan Thompson.

A big Wildcat welcome to Marshall “Klubber” Lang!

Last edited:
I don’t want to speculate too much, but what does this suggest about Welcing and his future as a Wildcat? We know he is recovering from a serious injury...

I don’t want to speculate too much, but what does this suggest about Welcing and his future as a Wildcat? We know he is recovering from a serious injury...

It doesn't say much about Welching. It says more about our existing depth chart at TE looks like given several recent and pending medical retirements. We have three scholarship TEs on the 2019 roster that will be back in 2020. That is not enough.

It doesn't say much about Welching. It says more about our existing depth chart at TE looks like given several recent and pending medical retirements. We have three scholarship TEs on the 2019 roster that will be back in 2020. That is not enough.

Fair enough, thanks.

Heard 2020 is a shallow TE class anyway so glad we have Marshall in the fold.

A day after committing Randy Bates offers him from Pitt. My best friend ( Dave Berk) has been assisting him with his recruiting. Great kid and will be a baller. He is still developing, solid hands, tough, hard nosed, not afraid to get dirty and block. Nice pick up.. NU was the school he wanted. Pitt offered him today and IU will most likely be offering soon.

A day after committing Randy Bates offers him from Pitt. My best friend ( Dave Berk) has been assisting him with his recruiting. Great kid and will be a baller. He is still developing, solid hands, tough, hard nosed, not afraid to get dirty and block. Nice pick up.. NU was the school he wanted. Pitt offered him today and IU will most likely be offering soon.
Damn impressive for a zero star Greg.

Rankings at one time based on evaluations at camps or games. Now these recruiting sites base their rankings on offers or what others rank them. The whole star system has needed an enema for years.
Not debating that, just pointing out he won't be a zero star...

It is good of these recruiting sites to give him a two star ranking after he camps at two power five schools and earns offers from both.

He will be a player. He is playing for on one of the best teams in the country. Luke Kuechly played for St. X as did many top recruits. He won't be higher than a 3 star because of his commitment to NU.. He was the TE MVP at The Best of the Midwest Combine.

Thanks for your insights. Much appreciated. I enjoyed his interview with as well as watching his hudl tape. Was pleasantly surprised at his blocking ability.

Reactions: CrippleCat
Thanks for your insights. Much appreciated. I enjoyed his interview with as well as watching his hudl tape. Was pleasantly surprised at his blocking ability.
If you play for Coach Speck at St X, you are going to be a team player. He comes from a good family and will fit in well at NU.

Reactions: CatChatAR
His film is great. Tenacity and attitude in his blocking, fluidity on the move. Really well-rounded player. Thanks St. X.

Surprised he didn’t have more P5 offers.
My guess is it was a size issue. 6'4" 225 is a little on the smaller end and it doesn't look like he had a huge frame in his film (although maybe he's grown since). Most programs want 6'5" 6'6" guys that can play at 250/260. We've had a lot of success in the program with smaller, more agile super backs which gives us a huge advantage in getting the guys we want at the position since they're undervalued in other systems.

My guess is it was a size issue. 6'4" 225 is a little on the smaller end and it doesn't look like he had a huge frame in his film (although maybe he's grown since). Most programs want 6'5" 6'6" guys that can play at 250/260. We've had a lot of success in the program with smaller, more agile super backs which gives us a huge advantage in getting the guys we want at the position since they're undervalued in other systems.

The issue being that there may be reasons those guys are “undervalued” elsewhere.

Teams with better players and better coaches and better schemes do better.

Exactly. None of this is rocket science, but an exercise to make ourselves feel better about our Superback recruiting. While other positions have clearly taken a step forward, I think we have too many “good enough” takes in that room.

Reactions: drewjin
Exactly. None of this is rocket science, but an exercise to make ourselves feel better about our Superback recruiting. While other positions have clearly taken a step forward, I think we have too many “good enough” takes in that room.

Hope he proves you wrong. Nothing personal.

Is it possible that NU’s branding of “superback” is not actually as much of a positive as we think it is? If not, what’s behind what appears to be stagnation in recruiting?

Is it possible that NU’s branding of “superback” is not actually as much of a positive as we think it is? If not, what’s behind what appears to be stagnation in recruiting?

It doesn’t make a difference either way.

Yeah, Dickerson, Vitale, and Cam Green were trash. I have no clue where you come up with your evaluations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT