ADVERTISEMENT

Talk about upgrades to Ryan Field?

charcat

Apr 11, 2006
When the discussion of NU Basketball getting an upgraded Welsh Ryan was being kicked around there was also talk about doing an upgrade of the Football Stadium at some point. Does anybody have any idea of what they are thinking of doing or potential timing?

Also, a new upgraded Norris Center seems to be the key Campus addition. I had heard they were looking for a name sponsor of the project, I wonder if that is holding off the construction, or whether that project has a time frame. Any thoughts?

Funny, even though I think it's great that they are doing two major upgrades right now. I kind of hope they don't announce anything new until the current projects are done.

I feel this way only because it think it is great for the reputation of athletics at NU to have continual and ongoing REAL upgrades in progress. It create buzz when there is none.

I would expect it to be after the completion of Welsh-Ryan, but yes, it's on the to-do list.

When the discussion of NU Basketball getting an upgraded Welsh Ryan was being kicked around there was also talk about doing an upgrade of the Football Stadium at some point. Does anybody have any idea of what they are thinking of doing or potential timing?

Also, a new upgraded Norris Center seems to be the key Campus addition. I had heard they were looking for a name sponsor of the project, I wonder if that is holding off the construction, or whether that project has a time frame. Any thoughts?
I had a conversation about this with JP recently and also asked PF about new stadium or renovation.

It is definitely on this list. JP said they needed to get these projects done before going back to the trustees on something this major.

FWIW I let JP know my vote is to demolish Ryan Field and build new - not renovate. I cited other new stadiums like Baylor, Stanford, Princeton.

Besides Dyche was built in the 20's

Mr Osborne, Mr Shapiro , Dr Phillips -

TEAR DOWN THIS STADIUM !!!

I had a conversation about this with JP recently and also asked PF about new stadium or renovation.

It is definitely on this list. JP said they needed to get these projects done before going back to the trustees on something this major.

FWIW I let JP know my vote is to demolish Ryan Field and build new - not renovate. I cited other new stadiums like Baylor, Stanford, Princeton.
Princeton's stadium is quite small. It repl.aced 48,000 Palmer Stadium. I would guess it is in 20-25 K

Stanford is the model.

My point isn't the size rather they torn down the old and built new

Then look at Baylor stadium

It's beautiful

Right on beast. I take a lot of heat when I call Ryan field a dump, but if you can get a 45,000 or so stadium like Baylors or Stanfords for the $250 -$275 million range you do it and forego the $125 million that doesn't do the full job. Ryan is the last piece of JP's puzzle.

I think it is hard to justify a new $200MM football stadium given you use it 9 times a football season. Evanston is not good about letting it be used for lots of other things, traffic/neighbors etc.

I also kind of like the old stadium look. Historic feel. Just get some better bathrooms and food options.

Reactions: phatcat
I think it is hard to justify a new $200MM football stadium given you use it 9 times a football season. Evanston is not good about letting it be used for lots of other things, traffic/neighbors etc.

I also kind of like the old stadium look. Historic feel. Just get some better bathrooms and food options.

9 times a year? You must be counting Willy's two Spring games.

I like the following two college football stadiums built in the past decade.

I will not mention Stanford, Baylor, or other already mentioned (those are good too, cannot say I am in Love with Stanfords, seems a bit thrown together and basic for me, just like the new stadiums for UCF and FAU in Florida, Hey, just my opinion!).

First -

Akron. Seriously. Just make it a bit bigger and fill the endzone with seats and you have a nice Dyche-Ryan replacement. I feel bad for the kids having to exit to the field with a sign that says "The Road To Detroit Begins Here", though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InfoCision_Stadium–Summa_Field

------------------------------------

TCU - Better than Baylor IMO or right up there.

If you look at the picture and go "Cmon Euro, that is huge we cannot fill that", realize the TCU stadium seats LESS than Ryan field does (45,000). Just superb design.

http://www.gofrogs.com/facilities/tcu-facilities-football.html

-----------------------------------

I messed around in ProEngineer a long time ago when the W-R reno project was just a dream. Some Ryan Field concepts inspired by the shell expansion of Ohio Stadium, Indiana's reno, and the then recently completed MetLife Stadium. The Townies wouldn't let any of these happen. Footprint from google maps.

https://goo.gl/photos/S4xWfhVhwcTRynQD9

Very cool. Nice work.

I will not mention Stanford, Baylor, or other already mentioned (those are good too, cannot say I am in Love with Stanfords, seems a bit thrown together and basic for me, just like the new stadiums for UCF and FAU in Florida, Hey, just my opinion!).

First -

Akron. Seriously. Just make it a bit bigger and fill the endzone with seats and you have a nice Dyche-Ryan replacement. I feel bad for the kids having to exit to the field with a sign that says "The Road To Detroit Begins Here", though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InfoCision_Stadium–Summa_Field

If you look at the picture and go "Cmon Euro, that is huge we cannot fill that", realize the TCU stadium seats LESS than Ryan field does (45,000). Just superb design.

It seems to be you are looking at the difference between major renovations and a completely new stadium. TCU is nice, but there have been multiple renovations and the last one was in the $150M range. If we can raise the money for a new stadium, I would say that is the route to go. What exactly do we want to save from WR? The tower? That can be replicated and improved.

I messed around in ProEngineer a long time ago when the W-R reno project was just a dream. Some Ryan Field concepts inspired by the shell expansion of Ohio Stadium, Indiana's reno, and the then recently completed MetLife Stadium. The Townies wouldn't let any of these happen. Footprint from google maps.

https://goo.gl/photos/S4xWfhVhwcTRynQD9

Only on the NU boards!

Reactions: zanycat
"Baylor is the model."

That gave me a pause.

But that stadium is pretty amazing, with the boat harbor and all. I actually think the Bears should do something like that involving a domed stadium along the river.

I actually love the sweeping arc and towers of the west side of DS. I cannot imagine Evanston permitting such a tear down and rebuild of something super modern, so my guess is that they are stuck with the external structure.

"Baylor is the model."

That gave me a pause.

But that stadium is pretty amazing, with the boat harbor and all. I actually think the Bears should do something like that involving a domed stadium along the river.

I actually love the sweeping arc and towers of the west side of DS. I cannot imagine Evanston permitting such a tear down and rebuild of something super modern, so my guess is that they are stuck with the external structure.

I'm in the camp of making incremental fan friendly improvements. NU doesn't need a brand new place which is only used 7 times a year. Patch up the old joint and spend money elsewhere. If recruits aren't swayed by Taj Fitz, a new stadium isn't going to make much difference.

"Baylor is the model."

That gave me a pause.

I really don't understand all the worry that Evanston won't allow it. yes, I know bunch of the pols are anti NU but it's on land that the university owns and if it's built on the existing footprint and lawsuit would be needed to stop it, no? Also please don't use Princeton or Akron as models. Stanford, Baylor and TCU maybe. How about the new one in Minneapolis?

"Baylor is the model."

That gave me a pause.

The Titans stadium has much steeper seating which gets more fans closer to the field and intensifies crowd noise levels. We could leave the old exterior and build an entire new stadium within it with improved site lines and improved home field noise advantage. Putting restrictions like that on the design/construction team would add pretty significantly to the cost but might be worth it.

Or how about put it right next to campus and bulldoze a bunch of those crappy old lake front houses? They're not worth much. ;)

Reactions: willycat

I like the triple decker design of the TCU stadium, putting the stands right on top of the field. Sight lines must be terrific and the noise very loud.

My two cents if it were a tear down and rebuild. I would like to see something like a cross between the TCU and Akron stadiums.

Between 40-50k dependent on NU's projections. I would think that being competitive for championships would also draw local fans.

On the west side three general seating levels with executive suites in between the first and second levels plus a press box at the top. Keep it close to the field of play.

On the east two full seating levels with them being seperated by dining and sponsored suites. Close to the field like the west side.

North end zone stays maybe a new and improved big screen centered to the field.

South end zone an elevated grass area for casual seating. Keeping the ticketing facility.

Also an improved surround sound stadium system.

My two cents if it were a tear down and rebuild. I would like to see something like a cross between the TCU and Akron stadiums.

Between 40-50k dependent on NU's projections. I would think that being competitive for championships would also draw local fans.

On the west side three general seating levels with executive suites in between the first and second levels plus a press box at the top. Keep it close to the field of play.

On the east two full seating levels with them being seperated by dining and sponsored suites. Close to the field like the west side.

North end zone stays maybe a new and improved big screen centered to the field.

South end zone an elevated grass area for casual seating. Keeping the ticketing facility.

Also an improved surround sound stadium system.

And a PA announcer that doesn't call Thorson "Siemian" at least once a year.

I really don't understand all the worry that Evanston won't allow it. yes, I know bunch of the pols are anti NU but it's on land that the university owns and if it's built on the existing footprint and lawsuit would be needed to stop it, no? Also please don't use Princeton or Akron as models. Stanford, Baylor and TCU maybe. How about the new one in Minneapolis?

Municipalities issue permits and licenses to carry out construction projects of all kinds, y'know?

The Stanford sit is a perfect model to follow. The outer shell was kept and the seating was removed and reconfigurated and shrunk by Many thousands.

We should keep the framework on both sides of the field. Get rid of the stands that extend well beyond the endzones on the north end. Remove the offices in the south endzones and built a eye catching external frame with seats on the inside.

To me, the biggest problem with the seating is the angle is so "relaxed". Build a seating plan that is steeper and angled more towards the field and consider adding over hangs on both sides like university of Washington.

Two benefits, more seats would be sheltered from rain and snow and the acoustics would be awesome. Keep the noise inside the bowl.

Bring back the "wall" in the men's room.
Bring back the "wall" in the men's room.

I was attending Australia v The Midlands in Leicester England . A very light mist was falling. At halftime. I proceeded to the loo. As I was walking up the walkway ,I was surprised by the volume of "water" flowing down the walkway. I turned the corner to see the "wall" with 50 gents relieving themselves on the "wall" with a clogged drain allowing the "water" to flow freely down the sidewalk. As I assumed my position, a lad down the line proclaimed " I've dropped me contact. If you see it float by, grab it."

I am familiar with the wall. You can handle 2-3 times as many men with that type of facility. It should be the standard in every stadium

Two benefits, more seats would be sheltered from rain and snow and the acoustics would be awesome. Keep the noise inside the bowl.

I like this. Our season tickets that we have been buying for the past 60 + years are about 6 to 8 rows under the upper deck. It is great to know that the weather is mitigated by the shelter.

I like this. Our season tickets that we have been buying for the past 60 + years are about 6 to 8 rows under the upper deck. It is great to know that the weather is mitigated by the shelter.
Are you saying the statement is obvious or that you are disagreeing with it? At only 6-8 rows in, it could go either way. I had tickets once that were way up under the deck and the weather was definitely mitigated there.

Are you saying the statement is obvious or that you are disagreeing with it? At only 6-8 rows in, it could go either way. I had tickets once that were way up under the deck and the weather was definitely mitigated there.
I really like the seats we have. Just enough cover for me. Maybe we are 10 rows under. I never really counted. So I agree that a stadium with multiple decks has it's advantages.

The steeper the seating, the more distortion occurs while watching the game. In 1985 , I attended the NCAA Final Four in Lexington. My seats were in the upper deck, which was very steep. All shots looked as if they curved towards the basket. Watching the game was difficult

This problem might not exist in a larger stadium but the optical illusion in Lexington was annoying

SMU built Ford Stadium 10 years ago for $40 million. It seats 35,000 in a "U" configuration. I would think that adding a few more rows or a deck would bring capacity up to 45,000. I would not complete the "U" however

So many opinions, so little time.

Whoever mentioned Baylor should mail back their diploma. Their program is built on the backs of criminals and raped women. Essentially Penn State. They sucked before they let the criminals in.

Stanford was ordinary until they hired Harbaugh. And I think our attendance is about the same as theirs.

I think Ryan Field is an absolute jewel. Like a classic car - it doesn't have the options of a new BMW, but I just love it. My heart skips a beat when I approach it. To me, the quirks make it even more endearing - lousy parking, hilarious concessions, etc. We could do like the Shite Sox and replace a place like old Comiskey with a modern, faceless place named progressive guaranteed rate lower life anthem field, but I'd rather not. I still chuckle when I hear "value city arena" for dOSU.

To me, history matters, even if it is a painful history such as ours. It will be meaningless to approach some new stadium on Saturday mornings (11am starts!).

I suppose I would feel differently if I lived in Chicago and was a STH, but I fly in for like 2-3 games a year, so... tradition matters, to me, anyway

Whoever mentioned Baylor should mail back their diploma. Their program is built on the backs of criminals and raped women. Essentially Penn State. They sucked before they let the criminals in.

Stanford was ordinary until they hired Harbaugh. And I think our attendance is about the same as theirs.

I think Ryan Field is an absolute jewel. Like a classic car - it doesn't have the options of a new BMW, but I just love it. My heart skips a beat when I approach it. To me, the quirks make it even more endearing - lousy parking, hilarious concessions, etc. We could do like the Shite Sox and replace a place like old Comiskey with a modern, faceless place named progressive guaranteed rate lower life anthem field, but I'd rather not. I still chuckle when I hear "value city arena" for dOSU.

To me, history matters, even if it is a painful history such as ours. It will be meaningless to approach some new stadium on Saturday mornings (11am starts!).

I suppose I would feel differently if I lived in Chicago and was a STH, but I fly in for like 2-3 games a year, so... tradition matters, to me, anyway

A program's reputation impacts your evaluation of their physical stadium?

A program's reputation impacts your evaluation of their physical stadium?
If they used their success from using criminals to be able to fundraise for a nicer facility, then yes.

If El Chapo moved next door but had a nice place, would you think he's an ok guy? Ever think of the young boys raped at Ped States 'nice facilities'? Girls at Baylor's?

If they used their success from using criminals to be able to fundraise for a nicer facility, then yes.

If El Chapo moved next door but had a nice place, would you think he's an ok guy? Ever think of the young boys raped at Ped States 'nice facilities'? Girls at Baylor's?

I would think "he sure is an asshole, but that's a sweet pad."

Sorry but debating a stadium design and evaluating the crap that happens at places like Baylor is not equal. Also Ryan is a dump, just like Wrigley was before it's re-do. The restrooms are to small and theirs not enough of them, the concessions are just bad, obviously there is not enough parking, the concourses under the stands are dark, cramped and offer very little else, Walker Terrace has turned into an unused eyesore, the south end zone desperately needs an upgrade, including the outside, which should shout, "this is NU" as an front door entrance and finally my hearth just about stops when I hike up to our seats near the top and the two elevators are very busy and need to take coaches and staff of both schools to the top.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
If Fitz, Dr. Jim, and Pat Ryan had their fantasies come true the football stadium would be moved to the campus and on the lakefront with the Chicago Skyline in the distance. RF, the current indoor facility, and the current practice field on the RF campus would become a large parking lot that would have fans shuttled to the campus, that is their dream though cannot seeing it ever happening. Someone posted a few years ago the concept. Spoke to Dr. Jim one time about it he said that would be awesome location but so many things would would have to go right for it to happen and thought it was a real long shot.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/89807-northwestern-university-concept-football-stadium/

New on campus football has a couple of problems. No room, limited space even for academic buildings. The second problem, you can't dig down because of the water table there. The stadium on the lake fill would block everything.

Also Stanford Stadium, good sight lines but not so charming. I like the idea of keeping Ryan Field structure with new interior seating and amenities.

Reactions: julescat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT