ADVERTISEMENT

Talk about upgrades to Ryan Field?

As a STH, the place to me is a flat out dump. Lack of reasonable amenities is alarming. Site lines are good, but seating is generally uncomfortable. I love almost everything about the program EXCEPT this.

Let's get this rectified, whether complete rebuild ( my preference) or a gutting that makes Ryan a top tier facility. After WR, the time will be approaching to fix this! If people expect the athletics to be comparable to the academics then we will at least need to get to mid tier in the conference with facilities. The lakefront practice, WR are excellent steps, now finish the kid with Ryan. Don't build a house and forget about the landscaping!

Reactions: willycat
New on campus football has a couple of problems. No room, limited space even for academic buildings. The second problem, you can't dig down because of the water table there. The stadium on the lake fill would block everything.

Also Stanford Stadium, good sight lines but not so charming. I like the idea of keeping Ryan Field structure with new interior seating and amenities.
Put it ON the lake. A floating structure not unlike the airport on the lake that Daley #1 proposed. Think about the wind and wave heights creating a real home field advantage.

Not really. In the epic post-apocalypse film Waterworld, Dennis Hopper ran an entire city on a aging, rusted out oil tanker--at least until Kevin Costner blew it up.

So you reference a terrible movie to substantiate a terrible idea?

New on campus football has a couple of problems. No room, limited space even for academic buildings. The second problem, you can't dig down because of the water table there. The stadium on the lake fill would block everything.

Also Stanford Stadium, good sight lines but not so charming. I like the idea of keeping Ryan Field structure with new interior seating and amenities.
How about a floating stadium? Tow it in for games and move it way the rest of the time. Dock it with ramps so people can get in and out.

It seems to be you are looking at the difference between major renovations and a completely new stadium. TCU is nice, but there have been multiple renovations and the last one was in the $150M range. If we can raise the money for a new stadium, I would say that is the route to go. What exactly do we want to save from WR? The tower? That can be replicated and improved.
Building that in the Chicago market? Cost would triple if not more.

Right on beast. I take a lot of heat when I call Ryan field a dump, but if you can get a 45,000 or so stadium like Baylors or Stanfords for the $250 -$275 million range you do it and forego the $125 million that doesn't do the full job. Ryan is the last piece of JP's puzzle.
Problem is Chicaog construction is a lot more expensive

So many opinions, so little time.

Whoever mentioned Baylor should mail back their diploma. Their program is built on the backs of criminals and raped women. Essentially Penn State. They sucked before they let the criminals in.

Stanford was ordinary until they hired Harbaugh. And I think our attendance is about the same as theirs.

I think Ryan Field is an absolute jewel. Like a classic car - it doesn't have the options of a new BMW, but I just love it. My heart skips a beat when I approach it. To me, the quirks make it even more endearing - lousy parking, hilarious concessions, etc. We could do like the Shite Sox and replace a place like old Comiskey with a modern, faceless place named progressive guaranteed rate lower life anthem field, but I'd rather not. I still chuckle when I hear "value city arena" for dOSU.

To me, history matters, even if it is a painful history such as ours. It will be meaningless to approach some new stadium on Saturday mornings (11am starts!).

I suppose I would feel differently if I lived in Chicago and was a STH, but I fly in for like 2-3 games a year, so... tradition matters, to me, anyway
Great sight lines, very easy entrance and egress with those ramps. Yes bathrooms need to be dealt with as well as concessions but how much do you pay for 7 times a year????

Yes bathrooms need to be dealt with as well as concessions but how much do you pay for 7 times a year????

What is the cost of continuing embarrassment? NU is in the Big Ten and should have facilities that don't suck so bad.

When I spoke with Fitz recently in FL he was adamant and agreed the stadium needed to be dealt with. Didn't get into details other than he wants one of the nicest stadiums in the country (not necessarily the biggest).

He said this project is on the list.

Just need $$ !!

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
You know what I wish Ryan field would have?- I don't like the benches to sit on. They remind me of high school bleachers. I wish we had seats like they do at Soldier Field. They are very comfortable and you can actually sit back, relax and enjoy the game. I'm not sure what caused it at a last season's game at SF, but my bum actually felt like the SF seat that I was on had a heater like they do in some BMWs. VERY comfy. Could someone please inform JPhillips of this feature to include when they redo RF? Thanks.

It wasn't that bad. It did OK overseas. And that scene where Dennis Hopper's eyeball pops out is priceless.

It's only a bad idea, because, like Waterworld, it would be ungodly expensive.

The huge set of Waterworld "accidently" sunk off the coast of Hawaii. That was cheaper than dismantling it. Hollywood environmentalists at work

The huge set of Waterworld "accidently" sunk off the coast of Hawaii. That was cheaper than dismantling it. Hollywood environmentalists at work
I am sure it made a nice reef for all the fishes and turtles.

Frankly, I think there should be a museum of all the post-Apocalypse movie sets that have been used over the years.It would make an awesome theme park. You could be Snake Plissken and run across the Williamsburg Bridge with bombs going off around you. Or Charleton Heston on the beach, crying "Damn you all to hell!" Or Matthew Mcconaughey leading the Kansas Regulars in southern England to fight dragons.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Put it ON the lake. A floating structure not unlike the airport on the lake that Daley #1 proposed. Think about the wind and wave heights creating a real home field advantage.

I like Willy's idea here. Better yet the only way to get to the stadium is by rowboat. That'll solve the pothole in the parking lot problem. Also would make it a lot easier to lake the goalpost after we clinch the B1G West title.

Reactions: willycat
This is not a state school and money cannot just be sucked out of the taxpayer

TCU is not a state school either. And I bet they use their stadium just as much as we would/could ours.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT