ADVERTISEMENT

Temporary stands at the practice field?

PURPLE Book Cat

Gold Member
Sep 3, 2007
I would think that NU could construct temporary stands of 10-15k for the practice field. Would be a hell of a backdrop. Isn’t this as good an option as something like an MLS stadium?

Reactions: drewjin
How quickly would they run out of hot dogs?

(What does the situation look like with concessions and restrooms?)

Last edited:
Reactions: NUCat320
I would think that NU could construct temporary stands of 10-15k for the practice field. Would be a hell of a backdrop. Isn’t this as good an option as something like an MLS stadium?
Look at Google Earth or something similar. Compare the football field to the soccer field just north of it. The soccer stands hold 2000.

Probably wouldn't be allowed by the B1G, but, honestly, we will probably average 5k home fans next year

The University of Hawaii lost use of Aloha Stadium for their home football games and has ended up doing something like the OP has suggested. When there is a will there is a way. (I recall advocating that Northwestern position a few barges near the lakefront to increase seating capacity. Hey, University of Washington has a flotilla that congregates off of their waterfront stadium.)

This idea is not as far fetched as some may think…it was absolutely considered as an option early on. Designs had the stands wrapping around the entire field with seating even incorporated into the balconies in the practice field. Capacity would have been in the 12-15k range. Parking and accessibility doomed the idea.

Last edited:
I always thought the thing to do was to totally demolish/rebuild east and south stands and continue playing in RF during construction with fans sitting in existing west stands.

Why does everyone keep freaking out about one word answers to yes or no questions?
I am applying a blanket statement for all of my future posts: if I ask something that is or could be construed as a “yes or no question” on this board, the phrase “and why?” is to be appended at the end, in effect from now until eternity

I am applying a blanket statement for all of my future posts: if I ask something that is or could be construed as a “yes or no question” on this board, the phrase “and why?” is to be appended at the end, in effect from now until eternity

Especially for you gocatsgo2003, but that is mainly because you usually among the few capable of providing entertaining insights (when you’re not lazily responding with just “yes or no” :) )

As for my “and why” - Inter Miami built a modular stadium (for frickin’ Messi) and it seems to have worked out just fine as an interim solution.

Here is the company that did it:
https://www.inproduction.net/products-modular-stadiums

From their website:
“Modular Stadiums are a flexible, cost effective-way to get your team on the field and fans in the stands. In a matter of weeks, a stadium can be built for your organization. Additionally, adding temporary solutions such as VIP Suites, supplemental seating, or party platforms that fit into the landscape in place, will allow additional income return that will outweigh the investment.”

How quickly would they run out of hot dogs?

(What does the situation look like with concessions and restrooms?)
Food trucks in the Kellogg and SPAC lots? Pitch it as an economic benefit to Evanston small businesses and the city? Have a “local food festival” on campus.

re: Restrooms, per United Rentals you need one potty per 50 people. With a capacity of 20000, that’s 400 portapotties to fit underneath and around the temporary stands.

Also cap capacity at 20k or whatever that MLS stadium holds, which really isn’t that many.

As for my “and why” - Inter Miami built a modular stadium (for frickin’ Messi) and it seems to have worked out just fine as an interim solution.

Here is the company that did it:
https://www.inproduction.net/products-modular-stadiums

From their website:
“Modular Stadiums are a flexible, cost effective-way to get your team on the field and fans in the stands. In a matter of weeks, a stadium can be built for your organization. Additionally, adding temporary solutions such as VIP Suites, supplemental seating, or party platforms that fit into the landscape in place, will allow additional income return that will outweigh the investment.”

Food trucks in the Kellogg and SPAC lots? Pitch it as an economic benefit to Evanston small businesses and the city? Have a “local food festival” on campus.

re: Restrooms, per United Rentals you need one potty per 50 people. With a capacity of 20000, that’s 400 portapotties to fit underneath and around the temporary stands.

Also cap capacity at 20k or whatever that MLS stadium holds, which really isn’t that many.

The issue is much more getting thousands of people into and out of the area.

This idea is not as far fetched as some may think…it was absolutely considered as an option early on. Designs had the stands wrapping around the entire field with seating even incorporated into the balconies in the practice field. Capacity would have been in the 12-15k range. Parking and accessibility doomed the idea.
They don't have that much parking now

Assuming they could keep most or all of the West lot open, wouldn’t it be similar to the current set up, just reversed?

• Love
Reactions: phatcat and drewjin
You don’t think the campus handles 10-20k people on a near daily basis? Many high schools handle 5k in a day.

“Handles” on a daily basis, sure. But a whole bunch of those people live either on or within walking distance of campus. If you’re dropping a stadium of 15k people for an athletic event in the middle of an already constrained campus, then you’re talking about literally a completely different ballgame.

I don’t think that’s true. At all.
As shown below, immediately surrounding the lakefill are the Walter Center garage (parking capacity 700), Cook Hall lot (parking capacity 181), and Noyes parking lot (capacity 170). Then you have the Northwestern lakeside parking in south campus (capacity 700) - walkable to the practice field via the lakefront.

Most of the other parking on current football shuttle routes to Ryan Field are downtown, closer to the lakefill than the stadium.

Compare that to the 1,357 parking spaces currently at Ryan Field. I presume that you would be able to retain ~1,000+ of those and reverse the flow of the shuttles to the lakefill.

I would argue that logistically, it is no greater level of complexity to transport ~20,000 people to the lakefill as it would be to transport ~40,000 to Ryan Field, as already happens every year.

One of my previous roles was in planning for Chicago 2016... so I am familiar with many of the pertinent issues. On first glance, it seems feasible from a raw movement of people standpoint.

ryan-concert-parking-20231117-872x1294-1.jpg

“Handles” on a daily basis, sure. But a whole bunch of those people live either on or within walking distance of campus. If you’re dropping a stadium of 15k people for an athletic event in the middle of an already constrained campus, then you’re talking about literally a completely different ballgame.
Keep in mind, lets stretch and say you get 4,000 students for a game. You now are putting the stadium in closer walking distance for ~20% of that stadium's capacity.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Keep in mind, lets stretch and say you get 4,000 students for a game. You now are putting the stadium in closer walking distance for ~20% of that stadium's capacity.
Each of the rectangles is 150 feet deep (over 40 rows, which at field length should yield a capacity of about 14000.) Presuming preservation the capacity of the existing soccer stadium to retain the 2000 existing capacity, the end zone capacities could each approach 5000+. There is plenty of footprint to get to a 20000 capacity temporary stadium.

405999220_10105277552743815_8878868646559756348_n.jpg

Over half the student body isn’t showing up to the game, even if it is within walking distance.

As shown below, immediately surrounding the lakefill are the Walter Center garage (parking capacity 700), Cook Hall lot (parking capacity 181), and Noyes parking lot (capacity 170). Then you have the Northwestern lakeside parking in south campus (capacity 700) - walkable to the practice field via the lakefront.

Most of the other parking on current football shuttle routes to Ryan Field are downtown, closer to the lakefill than the stadium.

Compare that to the 1,357 parking spaces currently at Ryan Field. I presume that you would be able to retain ~1,000+ of those and reverse the flow of the shuttles to the lakefill.

I would argue that logistically, it is no greater level of complexity to transport ~20,000 people to the lakefill as it would be to transport ~40,000 to Ryan Field, as already happens every year.

One of my previous roles was in planning for Chicago 2016... so I am familiar with many of the pertinent issues. On first glance, it seems feasible from a raw movement of people standpoint.

ryan-concert-parking-20231117-872x1294-1.jpg

Less parking space concerns, more movement of people.

Each of the rectangles is 150 feet deep (over 40 rows, which at field length should yield a capacity of about 14000.) Presuming preservation the capacity of the existing soccer stadium to retain the 2000 existing capacity, the end zone capacities could each approach 5000+. There is plenty of footprint to get to a 20000 capacity temporary stadium.

405999220_10105277552743815_8878868646559756348_n.jpg

So now we don’t have a full outdoor practice facility either?

So now we don’t have a full outdoor practice facility either?
Either move all practices inside, or reduce the capacity on the existing practice field limiting to movable bleachers. Not a major challenge to bring temp bleachers in on 24 hour notice.

I can imagine they thought about it, but the best thing about the Miami MLS situation is that their stadium is in Fort Lauderdale in a relatively accessible place between I-95 and Florida Turnpike, right at the executive airport.

That's a great location for movement of people.

On the other hand, moving 15k people in and out of the Martin Field area would be a real stretch to me logistically. I can't imagine the administration would want to deal with that.

That's the biggest pitfall in all of this (and it's also why all the thoughts of building a stadium on campus were never realistic).

What kind of attendance do our champion lax and field hockey teams draw for the biggest games?

A permanent stadium of 40,000 on campus and a temporary stadium of 15-20,000 are vastly different challenges from a movement of people perspective.

A 20,000 capacity stadium on campus does not present insurmountable movement of people challenges. Even so, I would much rather see a 15,000 capacity stadium on campus than a 25% full MLS stadium with no students 45 minutes away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT