ADVERTISEMENT

Temporary stands at the practice field?

The proper authorities were using golf carts to bring old fans over the bridge at vegas bowl game. Worked pretty efficiently too. Are you being facetious? This might actually work if a caravan like posse of them can be mustered
I am not being facetious, it 100% should be part of the plan.

Reactions: mickbula
Absolutely. There are plenty of places to acquire those as a rental for events. They could easily just buy a bunch for a couple years then resell them to a course. That would be the easy part. Getting a decent system set up and identifying which older fans and donors get the parking with full shuttle service is another.

At a lot of schools they have a number you can text the morning before a game and request golf cart service for an elderly fan. Works pretty well. Not sure of NU will be able to get something that smooth going.

NU is working with a company with a lot of experience putting these things together. Maybe it should give us a little more optimism to think management at NU might just pass everything off to their consultants. Let the actually competent people set it up.

At any rate, you and I have discussed this a lot. There are probably going to be some big snags in the gameday experience, even if things are relatively well planned. I’m just choosing to be glass half full and be excited about the good aspects of this. As we often say on these things, the players, coaches (and undergrad students) are excited about this, which means it helps our program, and I’ll bet the recruits will love the experience too.

To put a bow on it, I don’t think it is at all a safe assumption to think that NU can pull off things they have “at a lot of schools,” especially under this compressed timeline.

At any rate, you and I have discussed this a lot. There are probably going to be some big snags in the gameday experience, even if things are relatively well planned. I’m just choosing to be glass half full and be excited about the good aspects of this.

I fully agree with GCG, this is an unbelievably lame solution, its going to be a major sh** show. But my glass is still half full because Dr Gagg is going to be even more exposed as the clown he is, and he's going to finally be shown the door. I just hope we don't lose too many fans and recruits.

Reactions: Bwm57
If I'm able to land a ticket somehow I will fly to Chicago, stay at an area hotel, and take a cab to the game or walk. That's what I've done in the past prior to the Ryan Field demolition and it's worked just fine. For those coming from the Chicago area I'd suggest doing almost the same thing. Park at or near a hotel a few miles away and get a taxi to campus for the game.

They can still get a bunch of golf carts together!
Golf carts could be donated to Canal Shores and other public courses. I am sure there will be infrastructure to support charging this electric fleet with the mandated demise of the internal combustion engine.

If I'm able to land a ticket somehow I will fly to Chicago, stay at an area hotel, and take a cab to the game or walk. That's what I've done in the past prior to the Ryan Field demolition and it's worked just fine. For those coming from the Chicago area I'd suggest doing almost the same thing. Park at or near a hotel a few miles away and get a taxi to campus for the game.

Already made a couple of reservations. Can’t wait!

It used to be routine a few years ago that the game ball arrived at the opener via parachute. Maybe that technique could be used to transport fans to Welsh Ryan East Coast Kibbutz (WRECK)? Given the modest sized non-student crowd, this could work. Have folks park at PWK in Wheeling and take ‘em up and let ‘em fly! Might need to schedule night games to have the full day to drop ticket holders into approximate seat locations. May need to go complete general admission - just take whatever seat you land in.

I haven’t had time to think about how you would get folks out of the stadium area but I am sure that could be resolved. Maybe lift helicopters off an aircraft carrier just offshore?

Plenty of time to work this out.

Golf carts could be donated to Canal Shores and other public courses. I am sure there will be infrastructure to support charging this electric fleet with the mandated demise of the internal combustion engine.
I'm only concerned about tix availability. Heck, Noyes station is only a little over a mile away. Getting to the stadium shouldn't be an issue. Tickets tho

I'm only concerned about tix availability. Heck, Noyes station is only a little over a mile away. Getting to the stadium shouldn't be an issue. Tickets tho
Agreed. Only a 0.7 mile walk from Noyes station to Lanny Martin.

Reactions: phatcat
How far are people willing to walk? Most are ok to walk a mile or two if necessary, but many many can not. How do they get close? Are there shuttles that can drive anywhere close to the stadium on campus even if there aren't official roads? Even if you used the footpaths along the lakefill for golf carts and the like, that would take away a lot of the positives here (i.e. the beauty of being next to the lake).
How many people used the campus lots to get to Ryan Field previously? Those same lots would presumably be used for the same purpose but people would walk to the lake field instead. The shuttles dropped off fairly close at Ryan but for some it still required the equivalent of a few blocks walking to their seats. Students will not need to use shuttles. Electric golf carts can help with accessibility without too much disruption.

Reactions: Bwm57
The proper authorities were using golf carts to bring old fans over the bridge at vegas bowl game. Worked pretty efficiently too. Are you being facetious? This might actually work if a caravan like posse of them can be mustered

Sheesh- I didn’t know that was why I was offered a ride.

I will say though that the walk back after the bowl game sure seemed a lot further than it did riding over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT