ADVERTISEMENT

The Fighting Illini

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
I did not catch much of their win over a good FAU team last night at the Jimmy V, but they put up 98 (and gave up 89). Domask, the transfer from SIU, put up 33 on 71% shooting.

I look forward to our matchup with the Illini and their coach Mr. Redass. I think we can match up pretty well defensively, though it probably means a bit less Big Matt and a bit more of Hunger and Preston. The guy who worries me on that team (vs. NU) is Shannon, who is a huge guard. Hawkins is another guy who can cause matchup issues.

We probably will need to score 80+ to beat these guys. We are capable of that.

After coaching the team up to play Purdue, CCC faces a huge coaching problem: how to keep momentum after taking a week off only to face 3 teams that have a total of 4 Ws for the season.

Reactions: Cataria
I did not catch much of their win over a good FAU team last night at the Jimmy V, but they put up 98 (and gave up 89). Domask, the transfer from SIU, put up 33 on 71% shooting.

I look forward to our matchup with the Illini and their coach Mr. Redass. I think we can match up pretty well defensively, though it probably means a bit less Big Matt and a bit more of Hunger and Preston. The guy who worries me on that team (vs. NU) is Shannon, who is a huge guard. Hawkins is another guy who can cause matchup issues.

This looks like their best team in awhile. Of course, Red Ass might do something to screw-it up, but they have good talent.

• Haha
Reactions: all4theillini
After coaching the team up to play Purdue, CCC faces a huge coaching problem: how to keep momentum after taking a week off only to face 3 teams that have a total of 4 Ws for the season.
Yes. Going to CU on January 2 won't be easy. ASU will be the closest thing to a tune-up. They have a decent big and a couple bigger guards.

At least Clayton and Hunger should have opportunities for lots of minutes this month.

Shannon will be a problem for everyone. I really wish he had gone pro. I worry less about Hawkins. Every time I see him, he displays the not-very-good-at-shooting problem which will help us defend him.

Looks like you guys have a tournament-worthy roster. Congrats. I don’t see this Northwestern team matching up well with Illinois.

I watched the game. Shannon looks like he will give us trouble. Domask just went off. They both scored 33, but Domask doesn’t look like anything special but he just wouldn’t miss. Looked like a mini Luka to me. White and smooth.

If we can handle Edey and Purdue we can compete with anyone, but I think they are going to contend this year.

I only saw the second half, but Domask was just in a zone. Mostly mid-range shots, but you just knew as soon as they left his hand it was going to be a swish. I was impressed. Shannon of course was as good as he always is. That they played so well against such a good opponent does not bode well for the rest of the Big Ten. Purdue vs. Illinois (in West Lafayette) on January 5 should be a good one. They play in Champaign on 3/5.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Iirc Shannon saved them against us last year. He will be a problem, but I haven’t seen enough of them to know if the rest of the team will hold up their end. We will see.

Iirc Shannon saved them against us last year. He will be a problem, but I haven’t seen enough of them to know if the rest of the team will hold up their end. We will see.
Shannon was a terror in that second half.

One of the reasons I am bullish on this Cats team is the scoring depth. I just don't see us having those long scoring droughts that we once seemed to patent. It could only be better if we had a guy who could score inside beyond lob-dunks.

Shannon was a terror in that second half.

One of the reasons I am bullish on this Cats team is the scoring depth. I just don't see us having those long scoring droughts that we once seemed to patent. It could only be better if we had a guy who could score inside beyond lob-dunks.
Yes. He went right at Audige. Great offense can beat great defense. Maybe we try to make him beat us from 3 (even though he’s a pretty good shooter). And try to get the ball out of his hands.

Domask looked like a small Larry Bird last night with a little Michael Jordan thrown in. His body positioning coupled with little half hooks and mid-range pops were terrific. The best line of the night was when one of the announcers said that he will be one of those guys in the gym at 40 killing on the basketball court. Exactly how he played.

Oh, and FAU looked tough. They kind of folded the last two minutes but should be tough at tournament time. Their big man is a stud, excellent athlete, but he went brain dead with about two minutes left and committed a stupid foul to foul out.

Oh, and what was with SIU last year? Domask plus didn't another Big Ten school - Indiana(?) - pick up one of their players. They must have had one hell of a team.

Last edited:
One other element to factor is that it seemed like last year's Illini squad had to deal with integrating talented transfers, as well as dealing with one of their highly touted recruits transferring out. Based on results, it looks like they've got much better chemistry this year to go with already excellent and tough matchups like Shannon. I'd be very happy with a split.

Wasn't Shannon also injured for a chunk in the middle of the season? Or was that someone else...

I thought the Fighting Undies looked good yesterday. I have seen parts of at least most of its games and that was BY FAR their best outing. So before we all crown them here, let’s see if Red Ass keeps them focused and improving. They can score, but I don’t see a great defense. Unless they get the 🧙 we should be in these games.

I thought the Fighting Undies looked good yesterday. I have seen parts of at least most of its games and that was BY FAR their best outing. So before we all crown them here, let’s see if Red Ass keeps them focused and improving. They can score, but I don’t see a great defense. Unless they get the 🧙 we should be in these games.
Did you just take a Master Class on “Fun With Emojis?”

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Eh? KenPom has them as the #10 defense in the country, ranked much higher than their offense at #30.

Cute emoji

Eh? KenPom has them as the #10 defense in the country, ranked much higher than their offense at #30.

Cute emoji
Yeah, the defense last night didn’t look sharp. I watched the Marquette game closely and Undie couldn’t get a stop when they needed it. Shannon is their best player by a mile. Luka Donic isn’t going to be out of his mind every game either.

Yeah, the defense last night didn’t look sharp. I watched the Marquette game closely and Undie couldn’t get a stop when they needed it. Shannon is their best player by a mile. Luka Donic isn’t going to be out of his mind every game either.
FAU is the #5 ranked offense on Kenpom. I’d imagine they make many capable defenses look silly.

I’m not debating whether Illinois is world beaters, because they aren’t. I’m just saying that your astute analysis is wrong.

FAU is the #5 ranked offense on Kenpom. I’d imagine they make many capable defenses look silly.

I’m not debating whether Illinois is world beaters, because they aren’t. I’m just saying that your astute analysis is wrong.
Cool, even Ken says to ignore his ratings before the new year, but keep referencing them all you want if it makes you feel superior.

One other element to factor is that it seemed like last year's Illini squad had to deal with integrating talented transfers, as well as dealing with one of their highly touted recruits transferring out. Based on results, it looks like they've got much better chemistry this year to go with already excellent and tough matchups like Shannon. I'd be very happy with a split.
By all accounts I’ve read on message boards, observing body language watching each game and just witnessing the highs and lows … our team chemistry was completely f****d last year. It was infuriating to watch. Coming off of a #1 seed, two Big Ten championship banners and losing all five starters, I frankly think Underwood was desperate to avoid a rebuilding year with transfers and highly rated freshmen stepping in to appease our greedy and psychotic fans, lol … it did not work out.

We’re not a perfect team, but it’s already evident that the improvement in at least our effort and team chemistry is night and day. Last year had some good highs, but overall it was a complete sh*tshow.

Reactions: macarthur31
I respect your wait and see approach on the Illini after last year, but the defense is statistically awesome. I think yesterday was just simply two good teams in a shootout.

Reactions: Jaycg15
I respect your wait and see approach on the Illini after last year, but the defense is statistically awesome. I think yesterday was just simply two good teams in a shootout.
By all accounts I’ve read on message boards, observing body language watching each game and just witnessing the highs and lows … our team chemistry was completely f****d last year. It was infuriating to watch. Coming off of a #1 seed, two Big Ten championship banners and losing all five starters, I frankly think Underwood was desperate to avoid a rebuilding year with transfers and highly rated freshmen stepping in to appease our greedy and psychotic fans, lol … it did not work out.

We’re not a perfect team, but it’s already evident that the improvement in at least our effort and team chemistry is night and day. Last year had some good highs, but overall it was a complete sh*tshow.
The problems for the Illini remain the point guard position and the enigma that is Hawkins. There may be nights where these two factors cost the Illini but who knows, they may have enough offense to overcome the lack of a dedicated ball handler. But hats off to the Illini bc they are playing all comers this year. Will be interesting to see how this plays out over the season. I have two Illini kids so I probably know more about the Illini than any other team that is not NU. The Illini and NU are such different teams - Illinois is forward centric and the Cats guard centric. While the Cats will have nowhere near the SOS of the Illini on January 2, we are hoping both teams are ranked when they meet in Champaign because like football, rivalries are so much more fun and grow when the teams are good and the games meaningful.

stream of consciousness response
So Coach Mullins at SIU lost Domask to the Illini and Jones to Purdue and the Salukis are 6-2 with wins over OK st and St.Louis...but in the Valley watch out for Indiana St. where have you gone Larry BIrd ? our nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

stream of consciousness response
So Coach Mullins at SIU lost Domask to the Illini and Jones to Purdue and the Salukis are 6-2 with wins over OK st and St.Louis...but in the Valley watch out for Indiana St. where have you gone Larry BIrd ? our nation turns its lonely eyes to you.
Indiana St just wiped the floor with NIU. I thought the Huskies might make some noise in the MAC (and boost our resume a tad) but it looks like defense is an afterthought for the Huskies.

Reactions: drewjin
Buie will probably have somewhat of a letdown after the Purdue game, but Barnhizer, Nicholson, Martinelli and Hunger should all be ready.

Langborg has played to the level of the competition. His 3 best scoring games were against our 3 best opponents. 20 against Purdue, 19 against Dayton and 13 against Mississippi State. Also 13 against Binghamton in his Wildcat debut. Against lesser teams (NIU, Rhode Island, W Mich) he's made 7 of 21 field goal attempts.

• Wow
Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT