ADVERTISEMENT

The new W-R facility is beautiful, amazing!

While we're talking about McGaw Hall, does anyone know if there was any serious consideration for switching Welsh II back to a north-south configuration, rather than the east-west direction of the floor? Just curious.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
Also 10,000 plus for Kansas and some guy named Chamberlain on 12/7/1957!

We used to draw enormous crowds for football too in that era and not stands filled with opponent fans either.

But that was an era when not every game was on TV and when we were more regional as a university, both in student body and alumni. Now our alumni are spread everywhere.

I've always though they should just cut back the seating capacity somewhat and add more comfortable seats. That shouldn't take a lot of structural work. We're about a quarter the size of the average B1G land grant college and simply aren't going to attract the same number of fans unless we somehow morph into Ohio State-style performance on the field. Also, being a private school means we don't get the casual fan who identifies with ol' state U. Probably half the fans at a Penn State game never set foot on the campus as a student. Pitt never had the same drawing power, even when it had great teams under Majors in the '70s. The down side at Penn State is you're crammed in like sardines. I'd like to see a Ryan with 35,000-40,000 seats along with better concessions and restroom facilities as some have mentioned. I may be in a very small minority, but I kind of like the old towers and other classic elements of the stadium's external design.
Only private school with a following of non alum fans is ND and they built that fan base in the 1910s and 1920s. We effectively killed our nonalum fan base when we refused to renew Ara’s Contract.

Does anyone know when the last remnants of the dirt floor were covered over? I seem to remember a graduation there in 1988 and the place was dark and dingy. Maybe still with dirt floors around the outside?

Does anyone know when the last remnants of the dirt floor were covered over? I seem to remember a graduation there in 1988 and the place was dark and dingy. Maybe still with dirt floors around the outside?
I don't remember any dirt portions remaining after the 1982-83 transformation from McGaw Hall into W-R 1.0. But I could be wrong...

Exactly. New music building, new Kellogg building, new visitor center. All three with magnificent views overlooking the lake. New dorms and upgrades to old ones. Big upgrades to the Tech building. I was on campus recently, and it's changed significantly since I was a student 20 years ago.

They need to raze and rebuild Norris and the library. Maybe it'll happen and maybe it won't, but doesn't mean they can't renovate Ryan Field too.

I like the library, though I know I'm in the minority. Maybe it's Stockholm syndrome from four years of work study there. But it's a weird, distinctive design that you'll (hopefully) never see replicated anywhere else.

But they should have detonated Norris yesterday.

While we're talking about McGaw Hall, does anyone know if there was any serious consideration for switching Welsh II back to a north-south configuration, rather than the east-west direction of the floor? Just curious.
McGaw always has had the east-west configuration. If it were moved to north-south, we would have fewer seats on the sides between the end lines and more seats in the “end zones”.

The dirt floors were gone after the 1982-83 renovation (my senior year!). Prior to that, McGaw was the only college basketball fieldhouse where the fans had to shower after the game just like the players did.

The lowest sections of seats are folded in. They will fold back out and completely encircle the court and it will look even more awesome.

I think for the pre-game introductions, we should turn off the lights and play the Bulls intro music. Feed some crowd noise through the loudspeakers to just get the energy going. The reference to the Bulls will underscore that we are truly Chicago's B1G Team.

Really well done. All of a sudden our facilities are becoming world class...

Ryan Field next!

Not going to miss the old LiteBrite scoreboard or wooden bleachers.....
Welsh-Ryan_Arena.png

Reactions: mikewebb68
Now you see it; now you don't.

(cue Turk)

edit: Now you see it.

Last edited:
Hey, T_Levine, ParisCat sent me a picture of you and several other class of '88 Willard-ites from last week's game. Sorry I missed you.

Great weekend. I’m coming back for nd and going to the exhibition on the 2nd.

only part time. the women's program is also in there and volleyball as well. its more like 5-6 days for the men's team.

Anyone have anything more on the facility? Pictures? How did the players react? Comments from those who have seen it?

How about practice? Who is looking like they are going to bust out this season? Are we going to the NCAA's?

Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT