ADVERTISEMENT

The Next Tom Brady?

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
No, not Clay Thorson, but none other than NU's own Trevor Siemian.....

Trevor-Siemian_Justin-Edmonds_Getty-Images-1024x683.jpg

"Believe it or not, Trevor Siemian is quite similar to Tom Brady. Their own college teams (both being Big Ten schools) overlooked them, and then NFL teams overlooked them when their respective drafts came around — Siemian was a seventh-round pick in 2015. Both players are accurate pocket passers who can easily make all of the necessary throws in an NFL offense; both guys are extremely smart; and both guys play the game with something to prove."

"Only time will tell if Siemian has an “it” factor similar to Brady. We also don’t know yet whether or not Siemian is capable of turning in clutch performances on the big stage. But, based on what we have seen, the former Northwestern quarterback looks like the real deal. It is worth pointing out, though, that Siemian must hold off a talented first-round draft pick (Paxton Lynch) to remain the Broncos’ long-term starter."

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl-quarterbacks-next-tom-brady.html/4/

Who knows? Brady has been greatly helped by playing for Bill Belichek his entire career. I don't think there has ever been a better game planner than BB, and his roster management pretty much blows everyone else away.

But I am quite convinced that TS is an NFL starter, and possibly a very good one. He needs a better supporting cast in Denver, or wherever he plays. He has taken a beating last year.

I agree, Trevor is the real deal and should be a top echelon NFL QB for many years.

I agree, Trevor is the real deal and should be a top echelon NFL QB for many years.
Maybe, but I doubt that he will start this year. Ultimately, I believe he will be traded. It would surprise me if he started for a number of years, although I hope I'm wrong. As much as I'm rooting for him, he's certainly not the second coming of Tom Brady.

Maybe, but I doubt that he will start this year. Ultimately, I believe he will be traded. It would surprise me if he started for a number of years, although I hope I'm wrong. As much as I'm rooting for him, he's certainly not the second coming of Tom Brady.

He won't be traded. He will be the cheapest insurance policy in the NFL.

Maybe not the second coming of Brady (system and surrounding personnel has a lot to do w/ that) or for that matter, Manning or Brees.

But Trevor is in a similar mold of QB - a QB who uses his smarts and can get the ball off quickly.

Aside from the lack of talent on the offensive side of ball last year for the Broncos, Kubiak's system was ill-suited in taking advantage of Trevor's strengths (way too limiting and restrictive on the QB).

Despite all the talk about how Lynch will benefit from McCoy's system, Siemian could be the one who benefits just as much, if not more so.

The NFL game increasingly is becoming a quick passing game - where the QB increasingly throws to the TE increasingly, the pass-catching kind), slot receiver and RB - as pass rushers have become so good and it's become more and more difficult to find good O-linemen coming out of college.

It's all about finding the mismatches and a smart QB can audible at the LoS into a play that finds the mismatch in what the D is showing.

It's not unreasonable to think that Siemian can be a Matt Ryan type of QB - had similar stats in their 1st season of starting despite Ryan having had a lot more help in the run game.

Maybe the Broncos decision-makers decide to go thru the growing pains of playing an inexperienced QB (not that Trevor has a ton of experience, he still has plenty to learn) - as they eventually will have to see in what they have in their first round pick.

But if Siemian shows he is clearly ahead in reading defenses, changing plays, etc. - then they would be hard pressed not to start Trevor (albeit, difficult to ascertain this even in the pre-season games as opposing defenses are playing vanilla).

Last season, Siemian was 8th in 4th Quarter QB rating and on 3rd and long passes.

Despite having a lot less help around him (and playing thru a serious injury), with a month left in the season, Trevor was in elite company when it came to 3rd Down passer rating (really stupid that a lot of Broncos fans place the Broncos struggles on 3rd down on Siemian).

Even if Trevor does end up starting the season (or if Lynch starts the season and struggles, taking over) - it's likely that Siemian will have to ook elsewhere for his 2nd contract, if the Broncos brass thinks their long-term future is in Lynch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT