ADVERTISEMENT

Theory on HJ from someone who claimed to be an insider?

if this has some validity , then why is Hunter still on the sidelines , dressed and seemingly ready to play. This doesn't quite add up.
Well, it makes total sense for him to be on the sideline "IF" some personal issue outside of his control has torpedoed his life. It would be a statement of belonging and support. I would say, "You are part of this football family no matter how difficult everything else seems right now."

I'd hate to think that Hunter is going through anything that challenging. But it would put the program in a better light than all of the other speculation that we seem to be making.

I have felt the staff have mishandled HJ. I think it is stupid dumb to have a complicated playbook to run the worst O in the country. If I had been McCall, hearing whispers in the hallways, I would have spent last year debriefing HJ on the Clemson playbook and looking for ways to replicate. Granted personnel differences - but something less than rocket science compared to our failed book.

I would like to believe the line play will improve w the new coach. That said, I would start w firing McCall, letting PF know the new OC will be given the choice to retain or replace any coaches he wants and that PF best minimize his interference w the O, less he find himself w an Associate Head Coach working the O...or hanging w gcg to find that next $6MM HC job for a guy w a giant ego and little field accomplishments. I don’t see ND or MI calling.

But HJ was a gift. Absent his transfer, this was set to be the show it has become anyway. A total failure. WR still suck as a group.

PF will regret the day he said #dontcare. His leash is running thin and long. As the fans embrace the suck and #dontcare, soon Ryan and the AD will be forced to #care.
I generally agree with your argument. I am just a fan who has strong opinions about how things could have been done better and what our head coach could do to improve our team in the upcoming offseason, but that’s all I am at this point. A fan with an opinion on a message board.

When it comes to NU football: In Fitz we trust. We would never have gotten to the Rose Bowl in the 90s without him as our middle linebacker, and we wouldn’t have had the massive investments in our program as quickly as we did without him as our head coach.

We’ll see what he does. I would bet he’s angrier than anyone else in the world about this team’s performance. Matter of fact I’d wager a private plane that that is the case, even though I don’t own one. ;)

Reactions: IGNORE
None of us know for sure what may be going on with Hunter, and we can all agree that the offense is horrendous.
Whatever is going on, I think a lot of the speculation is reckless. Based on his track record as a head coach, I really don’t believe that Fitz would screw with any of his players and go out of his way to hinder their development in the program, as I really believe that he legitimately cares for every single one of his players, and wants to see all of them develop to the most of their ability on and off the field.
This season is a wash for everybody, which is a damn shame, because this defense is bringing it every week.
We’re all frustrated, but I would imagine nobody Is more frustrated than Coach Fitz. He has invested more in Northwestern football than we have, and I’m sure wants to have success more than anyone.
We can only hope that the issues that need to be addressed will be at the conclusion of the season, meanwhile, I’ll continue to watch every week and be supportive.
I’m going down with the ship this season, regardless of how deep it may sink.

if this has some validity , then why is Hunter still on the sidelines , dressed and seemingly ready to play. This doesn't quite add up.

because he’s part of the team?? Who knows. Why would you not have him dress, what purpose would that serve?
Maybe this theory is wrong, but it’s surely not disproven by the fact he’s dressed.

because he’s part of the team?? Who knows. Why would you not have him dress, what purpose would that serve?
Maybe this theory is wrong, but it’s surely not disproven by the fact he’s dressed.
If he can't play because he's hurt or for a personal reason, what good does it do for him or his teammates to be in uniform on the sidelines? Th Bears ha player earlier this year you couldn't play for a personal reason and he definitely didn't suit up.

Sitting behind me at Ryan Field... could be just nonsense talk. But what he claimed was.....

"Hunter is having a serious family issue unrelated to him and the staff is keeping him out knowing this season is largely shot and will pettition the NCAA for a 6th year of eligibility"

I'd not heard this before, but seems more likely than the alternative, that he is so impossibly bad that Fitz won't play him over a guy who has produced 3 points in two weeks.

Too bad I think its baloney and truthfully is old news brought up again by Fitz supporters. If so, why would the kid TRAVEL with the team? Why would he even dress? Why attend practice which I hear he does attend? Why have him on the 2 deep?

And he would not be able to get a 6th year!

Reactions: Pukecat
Too bad I think its baloney and truthfully is old news brought up again by Fitz supporters. If so, why would the kid TRAVEL with the team? Why would he even dress? Why attend practice which I hear he does attend? Why have him on the 2 deep?

Yeah, these facts seem to point the issue in a different direction. I think HJ was slow to pick up the “playbook” and Fitz decided to have
This QB competition thing (which was ridiculous because we saw how limited Green was last year).

If I had to guess, I think it’s a personal thing with HJ.

Reactions: mikero3
If he can't play because he's hurt or for a personal reason, what good does it do for him or his teammates to be in uniform on the sidelines? Th Bears ha player earlier this year you couldn't play for a personal reason and he definitely didn't suit up.

...because the NFL has active roster limits and college doesn’t....

If a player is away from the team for a personal reason you want the coach to unnecessarily make him feel like less of a member of the team? Jeeze.

A player may be with the team at some times and not at others due to a personal reason.

Pros of not dressing him: fans know he isn’t going to play.
Cons of not dressing him: he’s made to feel less a part of the team, the coaches get the flak and not the players If reason isn’t disclosed, he isn’t able to play if all other qbs get hurt, he’s inherently separated from the team.

you can have your own personal preference but if this is all true Fitz is handling this in a way we should be proud of.

If a player is away from the team for a personal reason you want the coach to unnecessarily make him feel like less of a member of the team? Jeeze.

A player may be with the team at some times and not at others due to a personal reason.

Cons of not dressing him: he’s made to feel less a part of the team, the coaches get the flak and not the players If reason isn’t disclosed, he isn’t able to play if all other qbs get hurt, he’s inherently separated from the team.

you can have your own personal preference but if this is all true Fitz is handling this in a way we should be proud of.
The Bears guy was with the team but was just standing on the sidelines in sweats. The NFL roster limit has nothing whatsoever to do with this discussion regarding to use of a NU QB.

injured NU players don't dress. They just stand on the sidelines. This argument for why HJ isn't playing and why they can't explain it is ridiculous. Several times, Fitz has said in press conferences that HJ is not hurt. Of course he could be lying. who knows when he won't tell us.

BTW Randy Walker never even let injured players on the sidelines. Why Albrecht got caught drinking in the stands and one time and after a tough loss against Bowling Green...I walked out with Marquise Cole who had to walk back to campus with a Boot on. He didn't go to the postgame team meeting.

I was never a RW fan, but for totally different reasons than my Fitz criticism.

Reactions: willycat
No idea about the family issue.
But, he’s a sophomore as far as eligibility, he isn’t going to be petitioning anyone right now for a sixth year of eligibility at this point in time.

This is really a debacle now with all of this speculation.
It's a debacle on the NU football board, a fairly thin slice of debacleness. Assuming (and that's just an assumption, not a debacle) Hunter is having some serious family crisis, perhaps he still wants to be part of the team, and dress for games. That's not a debacle. Perhaps he has some injury that suggests he should not play, but could if needed. That's also an assumption, not a debacle. There are lots of assumptions, but no debacle, yet. What would be a debacle? Fitz not addressing offensive performance immediately and in a comprehensive way. He owes us nothing in terms of candor. Someone said, "Discretion is the better part of valor." What he does owe us, given his compensation and the amount of money invested in a practice facility that is inferior to none, is to field a team that does not embarrass NU. This has only partly to do with HJ. So, we are at "de..." in "debacle".

None of us know for sure what may be going on with Hunter, and we can all agree that the offense is horrendous.
Whatever is going on, I think a lot of the speculation is reckless. Based on his track record as a head coach, I really don’t believe that Fitz would screw with any of his players and go out of his way to hinder their development in the program, as I really believe that he legitimately cares for every single one of his players, and wants to see all of them develop to the most of their ability on and off the field.
This season is a wash for everybody, which is a damn shame, because this defense is bringing it every week.
We’re all frustrated, but I would imagine nobody Is more frustrated than Coach Fitz. He has invested more in Northwestern football than we have, and I’m sure wants to have success more than anyone.
We can only hope that the issues that need to be addressed will be at the conclusion of the season, meanwhile, I’ll continue to watch every week and be supportive.
I’m going down with the ship this season, regardless of how deep it may sink.

Kain Colter (one of the best NU players of the last 10 years who has basically disappeared from the memory of the program) would disagree

Reactions: Vassar69
The Bears guy was with the team but was just standing on the sidelines in sweats. The NFL roster limit has nothing whatsoever to do with this discussion regarding to use of a NU QB.

I have a bridge to sell you.

Kain Colter (one of the best NU players of the last 10 years who has basically disappeared from the memory of the program) would disagree
Colter was a malcontent and should have always been a WR and a backup option at QB. Siemian was much better as a quarterback, and I put that awful decision to start Kain on McCall. If Trevor had more snaps against Army I bet we wouldn’t have lost that shitshow.

The NFL agreed too. Sorry the union didn’t work out Kain. I hope your Northwestern degree has served you well.

Because he can clearly physically play. Probably an emergency QB situation at worst.

Because he’s an extremely physically skilled QB who could still get us out of a game if need be.

...because he was inactive. Because that’s how NFL rosters work.

You’re the one who brought the Bears into this in the first place.

It's a debacle on the NU football board, a fairly thin slice of debacleness. Assuming (and that's just an assumption, not a debacle) Hunter is having some serious family crisis, perhaps he still wants to be part of the team, and dress for games. That's not a debacle. Perhaps he has some injury that suggests he should not play, but could if needed. That's also an assumption, not a debacle. There are lots of assumptions, but no debacle, yet. What would be a debacle? Fitz not addressing offensive performance immediately and in a comprehensive way. He owes us nothing in terms of candor. Someone said, "Discretion is the better part of valor." What he does owe us, given his compensation and the amount of money invested in a practice facility that is inferior to none, is to field a team that does not embarrass NU. This has only partly to do with HJ. So, we are at "de..." in "debacle".
It’s more than this board that is wondering what is going on. Listen to both local and national media calling Hunter a bust. If there really is something going on, the kid is getting unfairly bashed. It’s terrible for the program and worse for the kid. I would hope Hunters family is on board with what Fitz is saying and it truly is to protect the kid.

It’s more than this board that is wondering what is going on. Listen to both local and national media calling Hunter a bust. If there really is something going on, the kid is getting unfairly bashed. It’s terrible for the program and worse for the kid. I would hope Hunters family is on board with what Fitz is saying and it truly is to protect the kid.
That would be a debacle.

Colter was a malcontent and should have always been a WR and a backup option at QB. Siemian was much better as a quarterback, and I put that awful decision to start Kain on McCall.

In his career, Colter completed 69% of his passes at 6.8 yards per attempt for 18 TDs and 9 INTs. In 2012, when he played the most, NU had its best scoring season ever under Mick McCall, ranking 42nd nationally in scoring. He certainly wasn't asked to do everything a full-time starting QB would be, but I struggle to see how playing him was an awful idea. If our offense was that good this year we might be 5-2.

"BTW Randy Walker never even let injured players on the sidelines. Why Albrecht got caught drinking in the stands and one time and after a tough loss against Bowling Green...I walked out with Marquise Cole who had to walk back to campus with a Boot on. He didn't go to the postgame team meeting."

Why did he walk to campus with a boot?

In his career, Colter completed 69% of his passes at 6.8 yards per attempt for 18 TDs and 9 INTs. In 2012, when he played the most, NU had its best scoring season ever under Mick McCall, ranking 42nd nationally in scoring. He certainly wasn't asked to do everything a full-time starting QB would be, but I struggle to see how playing him was an awful idea. If our offense was that good this year we might be 5-2.
That 2012 season - the one you referenced - was an outlier. That was also McCall’s last good year as an OC.

It was an awful idea to start him as we lost a few games that we would have won if Trevor were the guy. But I guess your stats - which are sad - are more important than Peyton Manning’s professional opinion.

"BTW Randy Walker never even let injured players on the sidelines. Why Albrecht got caught drinking in the stands and one time and after a tough loss against Bowling Green...I walked out with Marquise Cole who had to walk back to campus with a Boot on. He didn't go to the postgame team meeting."

In America, you can vote with your feet. Cole was and is tough as hell, and he should have had a better way to get around. NU used to treat the players rather poorly.

Last edited:
42nd?

Cole had a walking boot on. Cole was already injured and RW wasn't one to worry much about injured players feelings. He also hated extra people on the sideline. So had the injured players in the stands.
Game ends terribly as Bowling Green? goes all the way down the field in last minute to score winning TD. Maybe even went for two and got it. Myself, brother and a couple of friends get up disgusted and walkout and run into Cole walking back in his jersey. We talked to him and the injured players didn't go to the locker room after the game. It's just the way it was.

Cole had a walking boot on. Cole was already injured and RW wasn't one to worry much about injured players feelings. He also hated extra people on the sideline. So had the injured players in the stands.
Game ends terribly as Bowling Green? goes all the way down the field in last minute to score winning TD. Maybe even went for two and got it. Myself, brother and a couple of friends get up disgusted and walkout and run into Cole walking back in his jersey. We talked to him and the injured players didn't go to the locker room after the game. It's just the way it was.
I hate to challenge you on this as I respect your posting style.

The only time we played BGSU when Cole was in Evanston was during the 2003 Motor City Bowl.

I’m not challenging you for the sake of a challenge. But I think that you are misremembering the opponent on this one.

I hate to challenge you on this as I respect your posting style.

The only time we played BGSU when Cole was in Evanston was during the 2003 Motor City Bowl.

I’m not challenging you for the sake of a challenge. But I think that you are misremembering the opponent on this one.

NU lost to Bowling Green in 2001 in a game that was rescheduled due to 9/11 after NU had been scheduled in the immediate aftermath to play Navy (all CFB games got canceled that terrible week). Bowling Green won following a Torri Stuckey fumble when they drove the length of the field and scored, then went for two to win instead of one to tie and go to OT. The Bowling Green coach was Urban Meyer.

But I guess your stats - which are sad - are more important than Peyton Manning’s professional opinion.

Well we're looking at two different questions here. If you're asking who was the better NFL prospect, obviously Siemian was. But was it a mistake to play Colter with the offense we had? I don't see how. It's undeniable that McCall's offense worked better with Colter in the rotation than it has since he left. Siemian was "the guy" as a senior in 2014 and the offense was a trash fire.

NU lost to Bowling Green in 2001 in a game that was rescheduled due to 9/11 after NU had been scheduled in the immediate aftermath to play Navy (all CFB games got canceled that terrible week). Bowling Green won following a Torri Stuckey fumble when they drove the length of the field and scored, then went for two to win instead of one to tie and go to OT. The Bowling Green coach was Urban Meyer.
Wow! Remember that game!

Trying to bait IGNORE?
no objective way to set the bet.

But he is speaking to me in my language.
Lol! If I had a plane I would donate it to charity. Given my size flying is not my favorite thing, so I don’t do it unless I have to. @IGNORE’s got thick skin too and can take a joke (although many didn’t get that my Akron posts were just another level of smartassery).

The objective way is to track him down after another loss and ask him how angry he is about it.

If he says he’s mad as hell and he won’t take it anymore - madder than any Northwestern on the planet and he wants to open the windows from his mansion and shout it out to the world - then I think I would win?

Who knows. Fitz got to where he is because of his passion, and nobody has fought harder nor sacrificed more over the totality of his lifetime for NU football than he has. If we go 2-10 and changes don’t occur, then he should go talk football on the BTN like DiNardo because he has lost his passion.

I’m well aware. I had a buddy who played for Meyer at BGSU.

Cole was not on the team in 2001 and we didn’t play them in Evanston during the seasons that he was.

We did play them in the Motor City Bowl in 2003, but that was in Detroit. I just think the OP mixed the opponent up. Cole and other plays did have injuries that required walking boots, and if they didn’t own their own car they had to walk or hitchhike.

Maybe the buses were full.

My god... I would kill to have Colter back at QB these days. I can't remember a more fun NU team, after the 2000 team, then that team with Colter and Mark running wild.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT