ADVERTISEMENT

There SHOULD be an Ivy Bowl at Wrigley Field

[QUOTE="Hungry Jack, post: 389046, member: 860]

I then build an indoor 75,000 person stadium with a retractable rough and a snow making system for all the idiot fans who crave "Bear weather." Let them eat cake!
[/QUOTE]

I want a retractable rough when I play golf.

FYI- Yankee Stadium has held regular-season games there as well as the Pinstripe Bowl. Army and Rutgers have moved games there, as well as Lafayette-Lehigh a few years ago (42,000 showed up btw - it's big stuff in the Lehigh Valley). The Cubs would be wise to speak to NIU, Illinois St. and Ill-noise if they're serious about playing football there after refurbishment is complete. Gives everyone in Wrigleyville something to do between November 1 and March 31.

If they do adjust the stands at Wrigley for a proper football field, I hope the make it go north/south like it was back in the day when the Bears played there.

If they do adjust the stands at Wrigley for a proper football field, I hope the make it go north/south like it was back in the day when the Bears played there.
Think the plan is to go east-west. Even when the Bears played there the end zones were only about 8 yards. Guess that moving the bricks along 3rd base is a lot easier then moving the left field bleacher wall.

I'm a Bears STH (400 level). I like the SF after the redo. Being a regular I know which bathrooms to hit and I think it's very cool to hang out under the colonnade before the game. While I usually don't do the food, there is nothing wrong with the hot links or smoked turkey from the Robinson's stand in the NW plaza.

I'm not STH but I go to a couple of games a year. Some bathrooms are certainly better than others, and the bathroom situation is a *lot* better than it was when the stadium opened, but IMO there still aren't enough. They've diversified the food offerings a bit, too -- the Robinson's that you mention and a Bobak's sausage stand. But I don't think the quality of the food is very good in general, even the basic stuff like hot dogs and burgers. Still, I don't eat there very much.

Agree with you on the seating, sight lines and it getting loud. I've never understood people who complain about concessions - if you want a gourmet sandwich and craft beer for $25 why did you bother coming to a game and not just go out to lunch somewhere?

I'm not that guy - if I get anything it's a hot dog or a slice of pizza - but it's important to a lot of people nowadays. Diverse beer options are a good thing, too. I'd rather pay a couple bucks more for a craft beer than down a bucket of Coors Light, given the choice.

It's freaking DETROIT man. You don't go to Detroit unless you have to.
Ford Field is a terrific venue, which has hosted a Super Bowl. It's right across the street from Commerica Park and walking distance to some excellent restaurants. Have you ever been there? On the other hand, Wrigley was the worst experience of my NU football life.

I dont need to see NU play at Wrigley again. I still have memories of Rashad Mendenhall tearing us up and Evan Watkins throwing picks.

Ford Field is a terrific venue, which has hosted a Super Bowl. It's right across the street from Commerica Park and walking distance to some excellent restaurants. Have you ever been there? On the other hand, Wrigley was the worst experience of my NU football life.
I did a hockey weekend at Detroit several years ago. We stayed downtown and partied in Greektown. Some big thug shook us down for $20 outside our Hiliday Inn.

FYI- Yankee Stadium has held regular-season games there as well as the Pinstripe Bowl. Army and Rutgers have moved games there, as well as Lafayette-Lehigh a few years ago (42,000 showed up btw - it's big stuff in the Lehigh Valley). The Cubs would be wise to speak to NIU, Illinois St. and Ill-noise if they're serious about playing football there after refurbishment is complete. Gives everyone in Wrigleyville something to do between November 1 and March 31.

Worth noting that NIU played Toledo at the Cell this past season...10K announced but eye witness reports put it at about half that...also worth noting it was a Friday night game, but I think the Big Ten Conference office didn't bother reading that part of the memo...

Worth noting that NIU played Toledo at the Cell this past season...10K announced but eye witness reports put it at about half that...also worth noting it was a Friday night game, but I think the Big Ten Conference office didn't bother reading that part of the memo...

It was a Wednesday night game.

It was a Wednesday night game.
Right and it was Northern vs. another MAC program. Also the "Cell" or "Down Arrow " doesn't come close to Wrigley, as a place to go to. Northern would be lucky to draw 20,000 in DeKalb.

Well, I've been making some calls.

Catuli Bowl 2020!

Last edited:
If I am Virginia McCaskey and I want a new stadium, I am going to the City with a plan to develop the substantial tract next to the river just south of Roosevelt Rd. It is an ideal site-close to the expressway, one block from the El, one block from Metra, close to the convention facilities and the entertainment areas. I lobby for TIF money and other City funding, DoT money and other public money.

I then build an indoor 75,000 person stadium with a retractable roof and a snow making system for all the idiot fans who crave "Bear weather." Let them eat cake!

I also enact plans to build a large hotel and commercial complex on the plot just across Roosevelt road, including a Bears HOF, Walter Payton roadhouse brewpub, and other stuff. I own all this stuff, and I make sure that my stadium gets used for a Super Bowl, B1G championship game, NCAA Final Four, Big Shoulders Bowl, and all the Hanna Montana concerts I can book. I also extract concessions from the convention unions so that my space is not so costly to use.

On game day, I run shuttles from Phoenix in China Town (dim sum!) to my new stadium. I also invite boaters to boat to my stadium on the river in early fall, and tailgate on their boats as they tie off on my docks next to the stadium. Women in bikini serve cold beer and hot wings to the boaters, who have ponied up $800 for a temporary slip during home games in September and October. In December, I run a promotion with the Blackhawks where attendees can attend a Hawks game on Sunday night, taking the shuttle over the UC.

I also run a gambling river boat hydrofoil shuttle to the boat in Joliet, serving lots of booze and wings on the way.

If I am Virginia McCaskey and I want a new stadium, I am going to the City with a plan to develop the substantial tract next to the river just south of Roosevelt Rd. It is an ideal site-close to the expressway, one block from the El, one block from Metra, close to the convention facilities and the entertainment areas. I lobby for TIF money and other City funding, DoT money and other public money.

I then build an indoor 75,000 person stadium with a retractable roof and a snow making system for all the idiot fans who crave "Bear weather." Let them eat cake!

I also enact plans to build a large hotel and commercial complex on the plot just across Roosevelt road, including a Bears HOF, Walter Payton roadhouse brewpub, and other stuff. I own all this stuff, and I make sure that my stadium gets used for a Super Bowl, B1G championship game, NCAA Final Four, Big Shoulders Bowl, and all the Hanna Montana concerts I can book. I also extract concessions from the convention unions so that my space is not so costly to use.

On game day, I run shuttles from Phoenix in China Town (dim sum!) to my new stadium. I also invite boaters to boat to my stadium on the river in early fall, and tailgate on their boats as they tie off on my docks next to the stadium. Women in bikini serve cold beer and hot wings to the boaters, who have ponied up $800 for a temporary slip during home games in September and October. In December, I run a promotion with the Blackhawks where attendees can attend a Hawks game on Sunday night, taking the shuttle over the UC.

I also run a gambling river boat hydrofoil shuttle to the boat in Joliet, serving lots of booze and wings on the way.

Hungry Jack now can you run for mayor, governor, president or even develop a consortium to purchase The Bears to achieve those aspirations that you previously described.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
If the Cats ever return to Wrigley, good luck to those who end up sitting in the left field bleachers like we did in 2010. At least we had such terrible sight lines that we could barely see the debacle.

If Illini-NU game at Soldier Field flopped then why would a Chicago bowl game succeed?

The NU Wrigley game sold out only out of novelty; if there were a game every year, I think the novelty would wear off. And it will be cold, perhaps VERY cold, late December. Not for the casual fan.

If Illini-NU game at Soldier Field flopped then why would a Chicago bowl game succeed?

The NU Wrigley game sold out only out of novelty; if there were a game every year, I think the novelty would wear off. And it will be cold, perhaps VERY cold, late December. Not for the casual fan.

The novelty factor would be there annually for out of town teams.

Flopped?! It sold out and had ESPN Gameday in attendance. The only thing that 'flopped' were the last minute dimension issues and our play with our quarterback hurt the week prior.

The site lines were likely no worse tha yankee stadium.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
The novelty factor would be there annually for out of town teams.

In the bowl game they should run the field at Wrigley from home to center field just like the Pinstripe Bowl. Yes, it would be less than 100 yards, but they could expand the width of the field to keep the area constant. That would really bring a novelty factor no other venue could touch!

The difference was the orientation of the field - the people in LF bleachers were a mile from the field and they weren't high enough up to make up for it.

Flopped?! It sold out and had ESPN Gameday in attendance. The only thing that 'flopped' were the last minute dimension issues and our play with our quarterback hurt the week prior.

Read my post again. Soldier Field flopped.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan

I'm not sure is any of this will work, but I like all of it!!
As a matter of fact I'm starting to look for a boat now.

Soldier Field is not Wrigley or in Wrigleyville and neither is "Down Arrow Park".
Who cares when it's below zero in late December. Chicago doesn't care about college football (except perhaps Notre Dame), won't even come out to support the two IL Big Ten teams when they play at Soldier Field. Why would they come out to watch a MAC team play a non-IL Big Ten team at Wrigley when it's below zero in late December? Not convinced that a bowl game in Chicago would work.

And that myth came about when the season ended in early DEC. and when it was only 12 or 14 games. (14 in 1963 with last game DEC 15 and Championship DEC 29)

How is it a myth? When have the Bears ever played indoors in Chicago, whether the season has been 12, 14 or 16 games?

Who cares when it's below zero in late December. Chicago doesn't care about college football (except perhaps Notre Dame), won't even come out to support the two IL Big Ten teams when they play at Soldier Field. Why would they come out to watch a MAC team play a non-IL Big Ten team at Wrigley when it's below zero in late December? Not convinced that a bowl game in Chicago would work.
So of the 37k at the pinstripe bowl how many were Pitt fans who traveled in, NU fans who traveled in and New Yorkers who were college football fans? Wouldn't the same dynamic be in play for a wrigley bowl? I would guess 90%+ fall into the first two categories. Chicagoans who want to go to a random college football game isn't the target audience here.

How is it a myth? When have the Bears ever played indoors in Chicago, whether the season has been 12, 14 or 16 games?
How is this any different than the packers, giants, jets, patriots, browns, steelers, eagles, redskins etc. etc. most of these players are from warm climates, they are certainly not gaining an advantage by playing in balls cold.

Reactions: Fitz51
I clicked on the link, and the Tribune website says it's currently 7 degrees in Chicago. Sorry, but that's too cold for a bowl game.

Quotes in the article mention the history of "cold" bowl games in places like Nashville and Birmingham, but I'm sure temps for those games were nowhere near single digits. And even the comparison to NYC isn't exact. Chicago is generally 10-15 degrees colder than NYC in winter.

College football in Chicago in November is one thing, but trying to do it in late December is a different story. Good luck with getting teams and fans from the South up there that time of year.

I clicked on the link, and the Tribune website says it's currently 7 degrees in Chicago. Sorry, but that's too cold for a bowl game.

Quotes in the article mention the history of "cold" bowl games in places like Nashville and Birmingham, but I'm sure temps for those games were nowhere near single digits. And even the comparison to NYC isn't exact. Chicago is generally 10-15 degrees colder than NYC in winter.

College football in Chicago in November is one thing, but trying to do it in late December is a different story. Good luck with getting teams and fans from the South up there that time of year.
Between Christmas and New Years it was upper 30's, lower 40's, which I would call typical - but there is a risk it could be single digits like we are having now. I think people would still be intrigued by the idea of a visit to Chicago at Christmas time, see the sites, hit the restaurants and go to the game. People sit through NFL games in sub 30's weather - if you have a routing interest in a game it isn't bad. The idea that non-affiliated chicagoans would go to the game i don't think is realistic.

They played inside the old Chicago Stadium, thinking in the 1930's or maybe the 40's. A huge snowstorm hit Chicago and the Championship game was moved indoors and played on an 80 or 90 yard field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT