ADVERTISEMENT

There SHOULD be an Ivy Bowl at Wrigley Field

I clicked on the link, and the Tribune website says it's currently 7 degrees in Chicago. Sorry, but that's too cold for a bowl game.

Quotes in the article mention the history of "cold" bowl games in places like Nashville and Birmingham, but I'm sure temps for those games were nowhere near single digits. And even the comparison to NYC isn't exact. Chicago is generally 10-15 degrees colder than NYC in winter.

College football in Chicago in November is one thing, but trying to do it in late December is a different story. Good luck with getting teams and fans from the South up there that time of year.
Think that Vandy owes NU a visit.

Reactions: NU Houston
Who cares when it's below zero in late December. Chicago doesn't care about college football (except perhaps Notre Dame), won't even come out to support the two IL Big Ten teams when they play at Soldier Field. Why would they come out to watch a MAC team play a non-IL Big Ten team at Wrigley when it's below zero in late December? Not convinced that a bowl game in Chicago would work.
Why would it be a MAC team? How about an ACC or Pac 10 program. After all these years having the Big Ten play a road game in Pasadena, it's time to treat them to some holiday magic up north.

Why would it be a MAC team? How about an ACC or Pac 10 program. After all these years having the Big Ten play a road game in Pasadena, it's time to treat them to some holiday magic up north.

Yes, this is definitely how they should pitch it to the ACC and Pac 12.

For all the Wrigley/Bowl talk, I think it would really boil down to what the organizers would consider to be a successful attendance figure. I believe in a worst--case scenario - two geographically distant teams in super-cold weather could reasonably SELL 15,000-18,000 tickets with ~12,000 actual. In most years, if we assume for example this is a B1G vs. MAC affair, I believe it could average closer to 25,000 or more, which seems solid for a stadium that will max out in the low 40Ks.

I had a great time in New York for a few days, even in the rain, and I'm sure others would feel the same way about a trip to Chicago around the holidays.

Between Christmas and New Years it was upper 30's, lower 40's, which I would call typical - but there is a risk it could be single digits like we are having now. I think people would still be intrigued by the idea of a visit to Chicago at Christmas time, see the sites, hit the restaurants and go to the game. People sit through NFL games in sub 30's weather - if you have a routing interest in a game it isn't bad. The idea that non-affiliated chicagoans would go to the game i don't think is realistic.
Upper 30's is manageable, but like you said, there's the risk it could be much colder. It's currently 27 degrees here, and the place is pretty much shut down. Southerners don't do so well in freezing temps. A Chicago bowl game probably wouldn't draw an SEC team.

I agree about the appeal of Chicago. We were up there at Thanksgiving '15 for the Soldier Field Illini game, and we had a great time. Ice skating at Millenium Park, great museums, the Christmas Market downtown, and of course seeing NU beat IIllinois. Too bad Chicago doesn't have a domed stadium though.

Dump the B1G tie in with either Foster Farms ( we have two CA bowls already) or Quick Lane. Tie the Big Shoulders Bowl with the ACC, where there is a decent chance that schools like Syracuse, BC, Va Tech, Pitt, Ga Tech won't mind freezing their toes in mid-December in Chicago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT