ADVERTISEMENT

Trevor

NFL and college are completely different. Using the Broncos as an argument for Trevor (who rn is my fav NFL player all the respect and hope for him) is a mute point. It has no reflect on him as a college quarterback. The read option was the most deadly part of our offense that year. Kain is one of the more dynamic athletes I've seen at NU. Combine that with Mark's speed and explosiveness. That was our bread and butter especially in the red zone. Let's look forward to when Trevor started, 5 and 7. Trevor's fault not in the slightest. Trevor wasn't healthy till the ND game. That's when we finally saw a healthy Trevor and what he could do. All before that with the bad oline he was hampered with injuries and lost a lot of his mobility. Colter was the better choice that year as talented as Trevor was. NU just couldn't get the personnel to let Trevor thrive.
The other thing I think everyone is forgetting here (or not stating) is that Trevor was carrying bad to very bad ankle and other injury problems through the majority of his last 2-3 years at NU, constraining our ability to move the pocket and taking away a decent portion of the playbook. If he would have been 100% then I think he would have seen more time earlier. Part of the reason he's done better with a still not great OL in Denver this year is that he's finally mobile again. He looks much more nimble this year than last year, when he was having serious shoulder issues.

Colter was pressed into service as a Frosh when Persa went down and almost led us to a bowl win over Texas Tech. Then he had to start the next season with Dan still recovering and I still remember him faking Luke Kuechle out of his shoes for a TD that helped us upset BC at their place. He was a captain the next season and yet willingly shared the qb spot with Siemian. I think he scored 4 TDs against Indiana. He and Siemian played about equally in getting the bowl jinx off our back, and his sprained ankle that kept him out against Minnesota (against whom Siemian threw a fatal pick-6) started our downfall in his final season. I didn't like the union thing, but Colter brought a lot to the table at NU.

FrigidSkeletalEland.gif
FrigidSkeletalEland

I have seen a couple of threads talking about how the coaches screwed up Trevor's college career and how he was not used as he should have been. What are the complaints? .the specifics. ..just curious.

A # of complaints which I have raised numerous times.

One of them being McCall not utilizing Trevor's legs more until the 4th Q of the MOON game and then the ND game.

Yes, Trevor is no running QB, but he's an underrated scrambler and a pretty accurate thrower on the run.

A QB who can extend plays with his legs for the passing game is the most dangerous type of QB.

giphy.0.gif

http://bsndenver.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/TS-pivot-to-JT.gif

giphy.gif

Did McCall not look at Siemian's tape from HS?

At the 1:00 mark, Trevor makes a throw (rolling to his left and throwing a dart down the sideline) reminiscent of the one everyone praised Rodgers for against the Cowboys in the playoffs.

Because Colter was better.

And again, simply not true.

IMHO - because injury information in NU football is secret and we know so little - TS was rarely fully healthy at NU

Trevor was healthy all thru the 2012 season and even when he suffered leg injuries during the 2013 and 2014 seasons, the coaching staff thought the best option was to play Trevor despite severely limited mobility (and not one caused by McCall's not taking advantage of it).

Some people don't like a super deadly read option I guess.

Eh, so Trevor never passed for 4 TDs in a game?

And as I had noted in a post a while ago, the 'Cats were better at sustaining long drives w/ Trevor than w/ Colter.

Not to mention in crunch time when time was of the essence, the go-to guy was Trevor.

Colter did not have the skill-set to lead the 'Cats on a 4th Q comeback w/ 2 90+ yd drives like what Siemian did in the MOON game (when McCall finally started to move Trevor out of the pocket).

Or a right-on-the-money deep ball in a clutch situation:

Nice play, but funny how that's pretty much the only long (wait, make that intermediate) pass that is brought up.

Siemian had a 62 yd bomb within his first 10 pass attempts as a 'Cat and Colter simply didn't have to arm strength to stretch the field or pass into tight windows on longer throws.

K C was a dynamic athlete running successfully behind a mediocre line.

T S was a great pocket passer getting killed behind a mediocre line.

Putting aside Colter getting sacked at a significantly higher rate than TS, the latter was partly due to Trevor having to play hurt, in addition to McCall not utilizing his scrambling ability until the 4th Q of the MOON game (basically w/ little over 3 games left in Trevor's NU career).

Trevor was healthy in the games against Cal and NIU his SR season and McCall should have used Trevor's mobility to put more pressure on their defenses, but he didn't (could have been the difference and made up for the drops).

What's even more damning is if the coaching staff had been able to surround Trevor w/ more talent on O, would have been a team that would have at least won the West.

If Siemian had been on one of those Iowa teams, would have won the West.

If he had been on one of those recent Wisky teams (which did go on to win the West), may have won the B1G instead of losing to the East champ.

Last edited:
A # of complaints which I have raised numerous times.

One of them being McCall not utilizing Trevor's legs more until the 4th Q of the MOON game and then the ND game.

Yes, Trevor is no running QB, but he's an underrated scrambler and a pretty accurate thrower on the run.

A QB who can extend plays with his legs for the passing game is the most dangerous type of QB.

giphy.0.gif

http://bsndenver.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/TS-pivot-to-JT.gif

giphy.gif

Did McCall not look at Siemian's tape from HS?

At the 1:00 mark, Trevor makes a throw (rolling to his left and throwing a dart down the sideline) reminiscent of the one everyone praised Rodgers for against the Cowboys in the playoffs.

And again, simply not true.

Trevor was healthy all thru the 2012 season and even when he suffered leg injuries during the 2013 and 2014 seasons, the coaching staff thought the best option was to play Trevor despite severely limited mobility (and not one caused by McCall's not taking advantage of it).

Eh, so Trevor never passed for 4 TDs in a game?

And as I had noted in a post a while ago, the 'Cats were better at sustaining long drives w/ Trevor than w/ Colter.

Not to mention in crunch time when time was of the essence, the go-to guy was Trevor.

Colter did not have the skill-set to lead the 'Cats on a 4th Q comeback w/ 2 90+ yd drives like what Siemian did in the MOON game (when McCall finally started to move Trevor out of the pocket).

Nice play, but funny how that's pretty much the only long (wait, make that intermediate) pass that is brought up.

Siemian had a 62 yd bomb within his first 10 pass attempts as a 'Cat and Colter simply didn't have to arm strength to stretch the field or pass into tight windows on longer throws.

Putting aside Colter getting sacked at a significantly higher rate than TS, the latter was partly due to Trevor having to play hurt, in addition to McCall not utilizing his scrambling ability until the 4th Q of the MOON game (basically w/ little over 3 games left in Trevor's NU career).

Trevor was healthy in the games against Cal and NIU his SR season and McCall should have used Trevor's mobility to put more pressure on their defenses, but he didn't (could have been the difference and made up for the drops).

What's even more damning is if the coaching staff had been able to surround Trevor w/ more talent on O, would have been a team that would have at least won the West.

If Siemian had been on one of those Iowa teams, would have won the West.

If he had been on one of those recent Wisky teams (which did go on to win the West), may have won the B1G instead of losing to the East champ.

Personally, I think if Trevor was playing QB with Colter lining up in the slot, that year we take the B1G. Defense plus a powerful offense = championships.

And I still would have played a future NFL Starter ahead of him (and immediately upgraded the WR Corp by putting his legs and playmaking to better use). Who is performing despite having an OL that relatively speaking is even worse than NU's. Playing Colter and sitting Siemian did not get our best 11 on the field. Period.

Maybe so but TS is still alive and playing in the NFL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT