ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP TV broadcast was awful

JoeWildcat

Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
I attended the game in person so I didn’t watch the TV broadcast until today. My golly the broadcasters were not very good, and the overall broadcast production struck me as community access TV quality. Glad I attended the game.

I attended the game in person so I didn’t watch the TV broadcast until today. My golly the broadcasters were not very good, and the overall broadcast production struck me as community access TV quality. Glad I attended the game.
Curious as to why you thought it was bad. My impression was that they babbled less than many crews that have done Cat’s games. I am so used to announcers spending good parts of the game talking about teams like OSU, Georgia and Michigan rather than our game that the focus on the teams actually on the field was refreshing. I thought also that the camera coverage allowed for good continuity, without a gazillion cuts to the crowd, coaches in the press box, features on how great the polish sausages at the concessions were, and other extraneous garbage. The commentators did not add a lot, but they also did not get in the way too much in my opinion. Would really like to hear what you thought was bad, as maybe I will learn something.

Curious as to why you thought it was bad. My impression was that they babbled less than many crews that have done Cat’s games. I am so used to announcers spending good parts of the game talking about teams like OSU, Georgia and Michigan rather than our game that the focus on the teams actually on the field was refreshing. I thought also that the camera coverage allowed for good continuity, without a gazillion cuts to the crowd, coaches in the press box, features on how great the polish sausages at the concessions were, and other extraneous garbage. The commentators did not add a lot, but they also did not get in the way too much in my opinion. Would really like to hear what you thought was bad, as maybe I will learn something.
I agree. I thought the play by play guy, while obviously a little green, was pretty good and could be an up and comer in the announcing world. Looked him up that day and he’s still only 24.

I’ve noticed a few things over the past several years.

1) People love complaining about announcers. Whether it be Joe Buck or the bottom of the barrel crew, most people rarely seem pleased and expect more.
2) People love complaining about referees. Go to social media after a major sporting event. 9 times out of 10 the majority of the conversation is about how bad calls were throughout the game.

Summary…people love to complain. I genuinely believe most sports fans are bigger fans of complaining than they are of the actual team they root for. It’s become nauseating and a major turn off for me.

The commentary was fine. But man, the video quality looked rough. Like watching a game from the 90s.

I agree. I thought the play by play guy, while obviously a little green, was pretty good and could be an up and comer in the announcing world. Looked him up that day and he’s still only 24.

I’ve noticed a few things over the past several years.

1) People love complaining about announcers. Whether it be Joe Buck or the bottom of the barrel crew, most people rarely seem pleased and expect more.
2) People love complaining about referees. Go to social media after a major sporting event. 9 times out of 10 the majority of the conversation is about how bad calls were throughout the game.

Summary…people love to complain. I genuinely believe most sports fans are bigger fans of complaining than they are of the actual team they root for. It’s become nauseating and a major turn off for me.
Man… this post. Am I right?

Man… this post. Am I right?
Not sure what you’re getting at with this response, but nothing I stated is incorrect. A lot of fans these days just bitch about announcers and referees (mostly referees). Of course bad calls happen, but people need to get over it.

And to be 100% clear, I’m not immune to bitching about a bad call, but the amount of people that just lament and complain about bad calls for days (even weeks or years) after a game is over is ridiculous.

A large segment of sports fans spend the majority of their fandom miserable and complaining about anything they can get their hands on. I don’t get it. I thought sports fandom was supposed to be an enjoyable outlet?

Not sure what you’re getting at with this response, but nothing I stated is incorrect. A lot of fans these days just bitch about announcers and referees (mostly referees). Of course bad calls happen, but people need to get over it.

And to be 100% clear, I’m not immune to bitching about a bad call, but the amount of people that just lament and complain about bad calls for days (even weeks or years) after a game is over is ridiculous.

A large segment of sports fans spend the majority of their fandom miserable and complaining about anything they can get their hands on. I don’t get it. I thought sports fandom was supposed to be an enjoyable outlet?
I just wanted to bitch too.

(It was in jest)

Reactions: Jonny2TheP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT