ADVERTISEMENT

Vassar's allegations

Did Vasser get a full academic ride? Poor guy! Also...you're taking all the accusations verbatim which is a big mistake, because there are some major lies in that puppy.

Honestly, let's cut the crap and call this for what it is: another Carmody argument in an alternate form. The same people that have their pitchforks out for this also had their pitchforks out when Carmody was fired. It's so blatantly obvious...
How so? I know and like Coach C.C. I just think they screwed up here and didn't realize they were taking on a kid with some real backbone. Criticize Johnnie from afar if you like but he's the one with integrity in this specific situation.

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting on this forum, but I'm a huge Northwestern fan. As far as Vassar is concerned, if the national letter of intent signed by a football player going to Northwestern is the same as a basketball player (which I would be shocked if it were different), then the NLI can be reduced or cancelled if the athlete "voluntarily withdraws from the sport at any time for any reason." Also, the NLI can be reduced or cancelled if the athlete "abuses team rules as determined by the coach or athletic administration." Also, the reduction or cancellation cannot happen mid-school year. So, in the case of Vassar, when he violated either or both of these rules, Northwestern was obligated to provide the benefits during the 2015-16 school year. After that, Northwestern can cancel the NLI he signed. Therefore, Vassar, theoretically, shouldn't be taking up an athletic scholarship anymore.

http://counsel.cua.edu/res/docs/NLRBNorwesternUCAPA.pdf

Go to page 8 on the right side to see this (this is based on football scholarships with Northwestern, but I highly doubt basketball scholarships are any different)

It would not surprise me if this post came from an IP address on Central Street.

I don't think that anybody is claiming NU broke any NCAA rules. It's more of a moral and ethical question.

I'm sure that NU will contend that Vassar quit voluntarily and violated team rules as a cancer in the locker room. What other defense is there?

It would not surprise me if this post came from an IP address on Central Street.

I don't think that anybody is claiming NU broke any NCAA rules. It's more of a moral and ethical question.

I'm sure that NU will contend that Vassar quit voluntarily and violated team rules as a cancer in the locker room. What other defense is there?

This post came from a fan who doesn't live in Illinois anymore. I'm not saying that NU broke any rules. In fact, they followed all the rules as did Vassar. Also, keep in mind that Vassar is suing NU not the other way around, therefore Vassar has to pass the burden of proof in order to prove that NU violated the rules for the lawsuit to work. I highly doubt that will happen. Beyond that, it wasn't handled well by anyone, but the laws as currently written favor NU.

Lol! You wouldn't know anything about that...;)
Again criticize from afar if you like, without any first hand experience or knowledge about this. Johnnie and Coach aside, I know you know nothing about me so perhaps you should a) tell us what firsthand knowledge you have about Johnnie or Coach to dispute me or b) tell us what firsthand knowledge you have about me that would dispute me.

Or c) delete your account

What are the player's obligations that came with that scholarship? Did the athlete meet those obligations and expectations? Since basketball is a team sport, how well did he contribute to the team?
It's a fascinating question.

Are "isn't a B1G-quality basketball player" or "Doesn't really get along with (insert "higher in the pecking order" player here)" equate to violating team rules and, therefore, potentially losing one's scholarship?

The CBS story tells a fascinating story. In April of this year, NU revoked his athletic scholarship for non-compliance. He won his appeal before a Northwestern committee, the ruling issued in May. That is, NU actually said he was in the right. Concurrently, they downgraded his scholarship. So he won his appeal, just not what he was appealing for.
Oh.

Vassar met the terms of his non-participation agreement, but NU still chose to downgrade his scholarship.

This junk goes on at every school, all the time. ("Creaning," right? "Sabaning", if there's a fake injury involved.) It reflects well on Northwestern that we recruit the type of kid with the family support and the guts to call the university and the NCAA to the carpet.

This post came from a fan who doesn't live in Illinois anymore. I'm not saying that NU broke any rules. In fact, they followed all the rules as did Vassar. Also, keep in mind that Vassar is suing NU not the other way around, therefore Vassar has to pass the burden of proof in order to prove that NU violated the rules for the lawsuit to work. I highly doubt that will happen. Beyond that, it wasn't handled well by anyone, but the laws as currently written favor NU.
What part of my reply did you disagree with? I said it was a moral or ethical issue, not an instance of breaking NCAA rules. (Let alone the law.)

That nobody handled this situation well is an area in which both of us can agree!

What part of my reply did you disagree with? I said it was a moral or ethical issue, not an instance of breaking NCAA rules. (Let alone the law.)

That nobody handled this situation well is an area in which both of us can agree!

Actually I agree with everything you said. In terms of a moral and/or ethical issue, both sides were wrong for what happened. The problem is that Vassar decided that his victory of being able to maintain a scholarship wasn't enough and decided to sue in the court of law. So, obviously while NU admitted to their wrongdoings, Vassar hasn't been appreciative of that and has prolonged the issue. That's all my point is, plus there's an open athletic scholarship for the basketball team available, that's all.

Vassar erred as well. He erred when he sent out a tweet that he wanted to transfer to another school.

I don't think the Vassars need any help. They've pushed back and secured a four-year scholly which I've always been ok with. My question is, he was guaranteed the scholly worth hundreds of thousands, or he could take the bucket of money behind door number two. Not a bad deal. But that wasn't enough so he joined up on a class action against the NCAA and NU. (By the way, I agree with the assertion that it's b.s. coaches can move around like sailors in a whorehouse while the student athletes are held to a completely different standard). Presumably, he joined the complaint because, with his scholly secured, he lives a higher purpose to fix the system. So, if he's fixing the system, why throw around all the dirt on NU?

Vassar is no naif. God bless him for locking down the scholly and good for him on pushing back when the athletic department was trying to screw him our of the scholly (whether he earned it or not is not the point). But he's not exactly Mahatma Gahndi turning the other cheek. On the surface of the thing with the public facts presented he's looking to screw those who he views screwed him. So it's game on.

NU has not yet replied to the complaint. That's not going to be pretty for the kid. I'm not saying that it's all going to be one hundred percent truthful, but your not going be able to grow dandelions on that soil for a few years.

To answer your question directly, 320, no recourse was needed. Vassar had won. He had the scholly. Now he's taken it to another level.
Yours is a good post, and I actually think we agree on most stuff. Very clearly, you're not in the "NU can do no wrong" camp.

Clearly, the suit and the stance isn't about cash. It's about requiring institutions to hold to their word, and about requiring the NCAA to give something other than indentured servitude status to their athlete-revenue generators.

Clearly, if Vassar agreed with your final point - that he "won" because he kept the academic scholarship - then there wouldn't be a suit. But he felt wronged because the benefits he was promised (training table, gym access, tutors, athletic trainers, prime class registration access, gear, as well as the intrinsic benefit of having a group and a team to being to) were revoked despite his abiding by the terms of the non-participant agreement.

I'll be fascinated if this goes to trial and what the testimony and evidence from Northwestern includes. He's got to be confident in his case and his credibility to take it this far, considering there's relatively little to gain (I mean, he's *still* on academic scholarship, I think).

Reactions: Medill90
Yours is a good post, and I actually think we agree on most stuff. Very clearly, you're not in the "NU can do no wrong" camp.

Clearly, the suit and the stance isn't about cash. It's about requiring institutions to hold to their word, and about requiring the NCAA to give something other than indentured servitude status to their athlete-revenue generators.

Clearly, if Vassar agreed with your final point - that he "won" because he kept the academic scholarship - then there wouldn't be a suit. But he felt wronged because the benefits he was promised (training table, gym access, tutors, athletic trainers, prime class registration access, gear, as well as the intrinsic benefit of having a group and a team to being to) were revoked despite his abiding by the terms of the non-participant agreement.

I'll be fascinated if this goes to trial and what the testimony and evidence from Northwestern includes. He's got to be confident in his case and his credibility to take it this far, considering there's relatively little to gain (I mean, he's *still* on academic scholarship, I think).

I don't believe that anyone is immune to mistakes. I don't see how he'll win considering the wording that is in a letter of intent. I'd like to know who is helping Vassar with this because no matter how smart he is, he's still very young and therefore probably thinks it's impossible to be wrong, especially after the first ruling. I'm in my mid-20s and I can tell you that I thought that way when I was his age and all of my friends, even those who went to schools with a similar educational pedigree, thought that way too.

Actually I agree with everything you said. In terms of a moral and/or ethical issue, both sides were wrong for what happened. The problem is that Vassar decided that his victory of being able to maintain a scholarship wasn't enough and decided to sue in the court of law. So, obviously while NU admitted to their wrongdoings, Vassar hasn't been appreciative of that and has prolonged the issue. That's all my point is, plus there's an open athletic scholarship for the basketball team available, that's all.
I'm not speaking for Johnnie on this but guessing only, I think NUCat320 gave a plausible explanation from the Vassar perspective. In addition, Johnnie's reputation took a beating on campus and on NU forums and maybe he wants people to know the full story before judging.

Reactions: loyolacat
No thanks, Purp. I enjoy discussing the continued improvement of NU hoops under Collins. Try it, it's fun!
What is a 'purp'? Did you mean to imply I'm a perp or a perv? Very untoward of a Christian to resort to name calling when he has been utterly slayed in an argument.

Isn't Vassar one of Chris's recruits? Don't his allegations pertain to the program? Shouldn't we address it?

Besides all of that, you admit no knowledge to dispute anything that I have said. Glad to have that on record.

I'm not speaking for Johnnie on this but guessing only, I think NUCat320 gave a plausible explanation from the Vassar perspective. In addition, Johnnie's reputation took a beating on campus and on NU forums and maybe he wants people to know the full story before judging.

I agree that Johnnie would want to do that, but in this age of social media, there are better ways of doing it because there's always a chance that the testimonies in the case will be sealed due to privacy laws as it pertains to universities. Like I said, he's probably not thought the whole thing through and wants the most revenge possible. While winning the case would do that, it's a high risk, high reward play that won't work. So, again if he wants people to know the whole story, why doesn't he share his story with the media? He won't get the other ruling overturned against him, but now he's just going for the jugular rather than playing it smart.

What is a 'purp'? Did you mean to imply I'm a perp or a perv? Very untoward of a Christian to resort to name calling when he has been utterly slayed in an argument.

Isn't Vassar one of Chris's recruits? Don't his allegations pertain to the program? Shouldn't we address it?

Besides all of that, you admit no knowledge to dispute anything that I have said. Glad to have that on record.

You can stop the naive act. You know full well that Virginia was referencing your alleged prior handle on this board, Purplicious.

I don't believe that anyone is immune to mistakes. I don't see how he'll win considering the wording that is in a letter of intent. I'd like to know who is helping Vassar with this because no matter how smart he is, he's still very young and therefore probably thinks it's impossible to be wrong, especially after the first ruling. I'm in my mid-20s and I can tell you that I thought that way when I was his age and all of my friends, even those who went to schools with a similar educational pedigree, thought that way too.
The single best piece of evidence in his favor is the fact that, according to the CBS piece:
- Vassar appealed the revocation of his athletic scholarship; and
- Vassar won the appeal, in a decision handed down by the Northwestern Athletic Aid Appeals Committee; and then
- The University moved forward with the revocation anyway

You can stop the naive act. You know full well that Virginia was referencing your alleged prior handle on this board, Purplicious.
Ah all right, that makes sense. I recall you and Virginia bitterly complained to Florida Alum and other moderators who publicly accused me of the same. But these complaints were proven untrue or I wouldn't be here. Thanks for giving me yet another opportunity to mention your and Virginia's perching for constant saber rattling in conjunction with the moderators. All because you dislike any opposition and because all opposition must arise from the same source!

Reactions: IGNORE2
Ah all right, that makes sense. I recall you and Virginia bitterly complained to Florida Alum and other moderators who publicly accused me of the same. But these complaints were proven untrue or I wouldn't be here. Thanks for giving me yet another opportunity to mention your and Virginia's perching for constant saber rattling in conjunction with the moderators. All because you dislike any opposition and because all opposition must arise from the same source!

Link to me complaining about whether you are Purp or not to the mods? Link to me doing anything in conjunction with the mods? I'll wait.

In your line of business, do the terms of a contract typically get changed by either party eight months into a four year deal?

YES! The contract is terminated if one party doesn't live up to their obligations. You focus on NU and Collins without asking if JV held up his end of the bargain. We really don't know what sort of teammate and practice player JV was. He claims he's still working on basketball with an eye for the future, but why doesn't he transfer somewhere where he can play? He wants the Purple diploma? Well, he should have worked hard and maintained a good attitude as a teammate in the team sport for which he was offered a scholarship. The idea that he can quit the team and still be entitled to all the other perks of an athletic scholarship is just BS, IMO. Money for nothing and your advisors and trainers for free. He's got nerve.

If his attitude was fine and he worked hard on his sport, yet CCC saw him as insufficiently skilled to get playing time no matter how hard he worked and tried to push him out of the program, then Collins should be reprimanded. The 'time sheet' guys need to be reprimanded as well.

Some here in their 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's think the same way.

Last edited:
If his attitude was fine and he worked hard on his sport, yet CCC saw him as insufficiently skilled to get playing time no matter how hard he worked and tried to push him out of the program, then Collins should be reprimanded.
It seems the case against NU will come down to:
- how well is the process for revocation of a scholarship "for cause" (e.g failing to follow team rules) laid out, and to what extent was that process followed; and
- how can a student win a judgment but not be re-awarded the scholarship for which he was appealing

The final paragraph in the CBS article is pretty clear: in the opinion of JV's mother, the NCAA has authorized four year scholarships without sufficient infrastructure around how they're administered.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-ncaa-after-long-battle-over-his-scholarship/

Maybe Donald Trump can step in and put an end to this ultra-lib, 'money for nothing' crapola that 4-year scholarships engender. It screws too many hard-working athletes and coaches. I may be in the minority here, but I think it sucks.

Last edited:
Link to me complaining about whether you are Purp or not to the mods? Link to me doing anything in conjunction with the mods? I'll wait.
There is a long thread, since deleted, in which a forum member exposed your tattle tailing of another member. So that is established fact, that you persistently report people to the moderators in hopes that they are banned.

The fact that you butted into this conversation aside with Virginia attests to your and his friendship.

There is a long thread, since deleted, in which a forum member exposed your tattle tailing of another member. So that is established fact, that you persistently report people to the moderators in hopes that they are banned.

The fact that you butted into this conversation aside with Virginia attests to your and his friendship.

You know absolutely nothing. First of all, I have disagreed with Virginia on more issues that I have agreed with Virginia, I think Virginia did not like me very much at all when I first started posting, but I think Virginia has grown to accept me somewhat. We are most certainly not friends. Virginia will confirm all of this.

Lol "a forum member exposed my tale of tattletaling another member" What are we, twelve? I believe some poster was upset about Turk and Shakes being banned, and FloridAlum addressed the situation; Shakes had an issue on the Rant Board, which I never visited, and I never had issues with Shakes' posting at any rate. As for Turk, he made a big show of the fact that he was VOLUNTARILY leaving the board! So nice smoking gun there, I was truly exposed as the evil tattle taler, lol.

I never hope people are banned, quite the opposite, as a board moderator myself, I hope that people can conduct themselves with respect for other posters and are never banned, I am here to discuss Wildcat sports, not listen to others like yourself troll away at other posters. But when posters conduct repeated violates the TOS I trust that the mods will take appropriate action, and FloridAlum does an excellent job here as the primary moderator.

And feel free to send FloridAlum a PM asking him if I have ever influenced the mods in any way shape or form. He will have a good laugh.

Still waiting for that link where I complained about you being Purp. Did you perhaps completely make that allegation up about me?

Well, if you like to make stuff up and repeatedly troll other posters without thinking you will be called out on it, perhaps this isn't the right board for you, whatever your handle was before. you started posting under this screenname.

This post is crystalline BS! You're equating wild ACCUSATIONS from Stupor with established fact. Stupor is so full of BS his eyes have turned brown.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikewebb68
This post is crystalline BS! You're equating wild ACCUSATIONS from Stupor with established fact. Stupor is so full of BS his eyes have turned brown.

No the thread did not involve Stupor. I think--but could be wrong--that the thread was started by a well liked poster who was complaining about Shakes and others being banned. The poster explicitly called out mikewebb as a message board busy body stoolie so I am inclined to think this was no coincidence.

You know absolutely nothing. First of all, I have disagreed with Virginia on more issues that I have agreed with Virginia, I think Virginia did not like me very much at all when I first started posting, but I think Virginia has grown to accept me somewhat. We are most certainly not friends. Virginia will confirm all of this.

Lol "a forum member exposed my tale of tattletaling another member" What are we, twelve? I believe some poster was upset about Turk and Shakes being banned, and FloridAlum addressed the situation; Shakes had an issue on the Rant Board, which I never visited, and I never had issues with Shakes' posting at any rate. As for Turk, he made a big show of the fact that he was VOLUNTARILY leaving the board! So nice smoking gun there, I was truly exposed as the evil tattle taler, lol.

I never hope people are banned, quite the opposite, as a board moderator myself, I hope that people can conduct themselves with respect for other posters and are never banned, I am here to discuss Wildcat sports, not listen to others like yourself troll away at other posters. But when posters conduct repeated violates the TOS I trust that the mods will take appropriate action, and FloridAlum does an excellent job here as the primary moderator.

And feel free to send FloridAlum a PM asking him if I have ever influenced the mods in any way shape or form. He will have a good laugh.

Still waiting for that link where I complained about you being Purp. Did you perhaps completely make that allegation up about me?

Well, if you like to make stuff up and repeatedly troll other posters without thinking you will be called out on it, perhaps this isn't the right board for you, whatever your handle was before. you started posting under this screenname.
I think these posts are enough evidence because you have once again accused me of being someone I am not. You complained about it so much that Floridalum himself publicly accused me and then privately.

Every single poster who disagrees with you and Virginia, you guys think it has to be the same fella. Got news for you but some people just are not in agreement with your 'intelligent design' of Northwestern fandom

And also consider carefully who called me a name here. It was Virginia calling me a perp or whatever.

Then you immediately arrived to accuse me of being an old poster.

Who is trolling? It is you and Virginia in this case, merely because I actually have firsthand knowledge of some of the people involved in this situation and you don't like what I am saying.

You don't like trolling? Report your own account!

No the thread did not involve Stupor. I think--but could be wrong--that the thread was started by a well liked poster who was complaining about Shakes and others being banned. The poster explicitly called out mikewebb as a message board busy body stoolie so I am inclined to think this was no coincidence.

No Chores? He, in particular, doesn't know his ass from his elbow with respect to board moderation. How would anyone know who's complained about who unless they're a moderator receiving these complaints.

Oh, and when you take on yet another handle YesterdaysCat, try not to use expressions and figures of speech that are UNIQUE to your previous handles. You 100% revealed yourself to me in your INITIAL posts!!!

I think these posts are enough evidence because you have once again accused me of being someone I am not. You complained about it so much that Floridalum himself publicly accused me and then privately.

Every single poster who disagrees with you and Virginia, you guys think it has to be the same fella. Got news for you but some people just are not in agreement with your 'intelligent design' of Northwestern fandom

Dude (or m'am) I have no idea who you are, nor do I care. I've never complained about you being Purp or anyone else. Still waiting for that link that states that I did. And I don't care if you disagree; when you do it in a manner that is trolling and insults other posters, that is when I (and other posters) care,

No Chores? He, in particular, doesn't know his ass from his elbow with respect to board moderation. How would anyone know who's complained about who unless they're a moderator receiving these complaints.

Oh, and when you take on yet another handle YesterdaysCat, try not to use expressions and figures of speech that are UNIQUE to your previous handles. You 100% revealed yourself to me in your INITIAL posts!!!

Ah another accusation. Please tell me who I am supposed to be. Then please show me your proof.

I assume that my views aren't just not welcomed because I do not conform to your opinions and apparently those of our allies.

It is a shame that a substantive thread is reduced to unfounded accusations about a poster and by such pillars of their community too.

To be fair to NoChores, I believe he did apologize for that rant. Similarly, he called me out for not attending games, and apologized when I informed him of the family medical issues that I have.and I don't think he has made similar posts about me or anyone else since then.

Dude (or m'am) I have no idea who you are, nor do I care. I've never complained about you being Purp or anyone else. Still waiting for that link that states that I did. And I don't care if you disagree; when you do it in a manner that is trolling and insults other posters, that is when I (and other posters) care,
Ah but you are not trolling? You didn't accuse me with no basis? I only have an inkling what this is about because your moderators accused me publicly at your behest.

Ah but you are not trolling? You didn't accuse me with no basis? I only have an inkling what this is about because your moderators accused me publicly at your behest.

So the mods stated it was at my behest? That would be odd, since I did not make the accustations! I had no idea you were Purp, or anyone else,

So you never posted under any other name before using "Yesterday'sCat"?
I had a user name on the old board but it was not Perp or Purp and I don't think I ever posted.

No one else on this board is scrutinized like this and I have to say a) it is character assassination and b) it stems from your disagreement with my arguments which are meritous and from personal knowledge in this case.

If what you are doing should not be self-reported as trolling, then pfft

Reactions: IGNORE2
I had a user name on the old board but it was not Perp or Purp and I don't think I ever posted.

No one else on this board is scrutinized like this and I have to say a) it is character assassination and b) it stems from your disagreement with my arguments which are meritous and from personal knowledge in this case.

If what you are doing should not be self-reported as trolling, then pfft

I asked you a simple question. If you asked me the same question, I would say that I post under my real name here, and have never posted under any other screenname. Not a difficult question to answer, and certainly could not be described as character assassination.

I asked you a simple question. If you asked me the same question, I would say that I post under my real name here, and have never posted under any other screenname. Not a difficult question to answer, and certainly could not be described as character assassination.

Like I said, report yourself for trolling another member. Because there is no other way to describe what you have done tonight. May you and your moderators have a happy new year. I recognize my views are not welcome here and my firsthand knowledge of some details are better left unshared in this venue. Thanks

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT