ADVERTISEMENT

"We are Bowl Eligible" and crickets

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
Typically when Northwestern reaches 5 wins the milestone is heralded with proclamations of "We are Bowl Eligible" along with the obligatory posts relating to the Northwestern advantage with regard to bowl entitlement due to academic standings. This year the focus has been elsewhere (i.e. ranking at the top of Big Ten West) with five wins in the book and I don't recall even one commentator mentioning the subject of five wins equating to "Bowl Eligibility."

Since the media buzz has been the prospect of Northwestern playing as the Big Ten West Champion in the Big Ten Championship Game on December 19th, the question posed here is what happens with regard to bowl placement if that game is cancelled?

Assume Ohio State and Northwestern win out. In that case Northwestern will very likely have won more games than Ohio State assuming no further scheduled games get cancelled for either team. Does that fact dictate that Northwestern becomes the Big Ten Champion and we, at a minimum, head to the bowl that the Big Ten Champion would have been guaranteed?

On topic is this quote from GoUPurple's HailtoPurple.com post season posting from earlier today:

"HTP projects that NU's chance of winning the B1G West is now 91%, up from 44% last week. However, because of the likelihood of cancellation, we project only a 53% chance of the 'Cats actually playing in Indy."

HTP Updated Bowl Page from Today

Reactions: Cat In The Cradle
I think it's because bowl eligibility is really not considered to be much of an accomplishment anymore. We'll have some celebrating once we claim the West but a lot more when we beat dOSU. And we still need to reserve some room for winning the CFP.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I think it's because bowl eligibility is really not considered to be much of an accomplishment anymore. We'll have some celebrating once we claim the West but a lot more when we beat dOSU. And we still need to reserve some room for winning the CFP.

And the fact there is technically no bowl eligibility this year as all teams are eligible for bowls.

Last edited:
Reactions: phatcat
Good news for Nebraska, Michigan, and Penn State!

Surprised Bowls have not already extended to those three invites! Of course would have to likely be conditional given the conference tie ins.

Besides Army has any other team already been selected by a Bowl?

Last edited:
Typically when Northwestern reaches 5 wins the milestone is heralded with proclamations of "We are Bowl Eligible" along with the obligatory posts relating to the Northwestern advantage with regard to bowl entitlement due to academic standings. This year the focus has been elsewhere (i.e. ranking at the top of Big Ten West) with five wins in the book and I don't recall even one commentator mentioning the subject of five wins equating to "Bowl Eligibility."

Since the media buzz has been the prospect of Northwestern playing as the Big Ten West Champion in the Big Ten Championship Game on December 19th, the question posed here is what happens with regard to bowl placement if that game is cancelled?

Assume Ohio State and Northwestern win out. In that case Northwestern will very likely have won more games than Ohio State assuming no further scheduled games get cancelled for either team. Does that fact dictate that Northwestern becomes the Big Ten Champion and we, at a minimum, head to the bowl that the Big Ten Champion would have been guaranteed?

On topic is this quote from GoUPurple's HailtoPurple.com post season posting from earlier today:

"HTP projects that NU's chance of winning the B1G West is now 91%, up from 44% last week. However, because of the likelihood of cancellation, we project only a 53% chance of the 'Cats actually playing in Indy."

HTP Updated Bowl Page from Today

Aim higher.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT