ADVERTISEMENT

What are you most hoping to see in Game 1?

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
For me, it’s all about the guard play. Specifically, how Ty Berry and Chase Audige look in game action — and, to a lesser extent, how Anthony Gaines looks after a year off.

I feel like we got a good sense of what Buie/Kopp/Nance/Beran/Young bring over the course of last year. While they could yet take another leap (thinking of some of those Kopp workout videos), I think what will make or break this season is how our guards fit in and whether they can hang in the Big Ten.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
For me, it’s all about the guard play. Specifically, how Ty Berry and Chase Audige look in game action — and, to a lesser extent, how Anthony Gaines looks after a year off.

I feel like we got a good sense of what Buie/Kopp/Nance/Beran/Young bring over the course of last year. While they could yet take another leap (thinking of some of those Kopp workout videos), I think what will make or break this season is how our guards fit in and whether they can hang in the Big Ten.

i think it’s much more likely that improvement among last year’s frosh and soph will determine our success this year than the impact of a true frosh. I hope Berry is a major contributor but moreso I hope Beran, Buie, Nance, Young have major jumps now that they have substantial big ten experience.

Lots to look forward to. If I had to peg one big key though, it'd be Nance's development.

Nance, Beran, Buie and Kopp’s development. If they show up as developed vs. last year as Kopp did when last season started. That’s the only way we aim at a tournament run next year

Brian James has said a couple of times that Boo and Pete Nance have really improved, and they are really looking for both of them to make big jumps this year.

Don’t expect to see much of Berry. Not in rotation.
To the contrary, he will almost certainly figure into the rotation. NU needs another outside shooter and a guy who can get to the rim.
Gaines can drive but his outside shooting is not sthrrat that defenses really need to consistently respect.

Reactions: cats_man_too
The quality across the B1G doesn’t have me expecting a jump into the upper third of the conference, but I’m looking forward to see how tough our guys are and whether we can go toe-to-toe with some really, really good programs. In terms of specific players, I’m looking forward to seeing if Kopp can bring that off-season swag with him, whether Nance begins to impose himself, and whether Boo can get his teammates involved and become a real game facilitator.

The quality across the B1G doesn’t have me expecting a jump into the upper third of the conference, but I’m looking forward to see how tough our guys are and whether we can go toe-to-toe with some really, really good programs. In terms of specific players, I’m looking forward to seeing if Kopp can bring that off-season swag with him, whether Nance begins to impose himself, and whether Boo can get his teammates involved and become a real game facilitator.
All the pundits have NU either 13 or 14. I think we have a shot to be up to 10. I want to see NU close out a few games rather than give them away down the stretch.

There are 13 on team, 10 on scholarship. There are 7 in rotation according to Collins. Nathanson, Greer and Verry on bench to start.

There are 13 on team, 10 on scholarship. There are 7 in rotation according to Collins. Nathanson, Greer and Verry on bench to start.

The idea that the 8th man up would see little to no playing time doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

And it doesn't lend you much credibility when you say Nathanson instead of Nicholson, to be honest...

The idea that the 8th man up would see little to no playing time doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

And it doesn't lend you much credibility when you say Nathanson instead of Nicholson, to be honest...
Well... he is partly right here. If Nathanson gets a lot of minutes this year, I think we'll all be quite surprised.

Curious to see how our guards play and if that opens up the offense.
Interested in seeing if Audige and Berry can make 3s and if so, whether this forces the opponents defense out on the perimeter more.
Having more players available, it would be nice to see if we are more rested and do better down the stretch. Or do we only play 7 and are gassed.

Can you share the source on this? The only thing that I have seen was Collins' presser a couple weeks back when he said that all 10 of the guys on scholarship will play a lot. Thanks.

Want to see how much improvement there is among the returning players, but am really curious to see what Audige and Berry can bring to the table.

The team last season was in desperate need of another player who could consistently hit from beyond the arc, as well as being able to create their own shot.

Would be a bit surprised/disappointed if Berry wasn't a Juice/Shurna/Crawford/Cobb level of impact player as a frosh based on how he fared against top level AAU competition.

There's a lot I wanna see, but what I wanna see the most is for the big 7 footer, 255 lb Nicholson come in off the bench and surprise everyone with 20 and 12 boards and 7 blocked shots. Maybe 5 dimes to go with it.

Love the idea of Nance as a center in a "small ball" lineup like our guy Daryl Morey used as an equalizer down in Houston, embracing the triple on O and inviting the post up on D. This gives us versatility on both ends of the floor, especially in switching ball screens (as opposed to the drop coverage our traditional bigs play).

Hope this lineup is able to rebound at a high level, as being able to bring Young off the bench, along with Gaines and Berry, really gives us some value off the bench and ability to play different ways depending on matchups, foul trouble, situation, etc.

Love the idea of Nance as a center in a "small ball" lineup like our guy Daryl Morey used as an equalizer down in Houston, embracing the triple on O and inviting the post up on D. This gives us versatility on both ends of the floor, especially in switching ball screens (as opposed to the drop coverage our traditional bigs play).

Hope this lineup is able to rebound at a high level, as being able to bring Young off the bench, along with Gaines and Berry, really gives us some value off the bench and ability to play different ways depending on matchups, foul trouble, situation, etc.
Makes sense to go with a quicker line-up against APB, a team without a true Center. Young will get plenty of work against the likes of Garza et al. once B1G games start.

Just wanna bump this up. Kudos to CCC and staff for going away from "conventional" basketball thought, and recognizing how to get the most out of this roster.

We're going with a solid 9 man rotation and have a good mix of skills and size to create match-up problems.

Audige brings a level of positive aggression and confidence on offense, though sometimes too much, that can be contagious. The juniors on this team are more assertive and confident, starting with Kopp and Nance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT