ADVERTISEMENT

Where is Michigan going to poach from? Michigan fans, what's going on?

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
Michigan only has 6 verbals. I dunno how many potential scholarships they have, but certainly they have around 15+ more to offer.

Looking over the list of who they offered, and who they were initially interested in, most have already verballed. Anyone been over to the Michigan board? And, if there are any Michigan fans, can you offer us a comment about what Harbough has been doing, i.e., is he refocusing recruiting on new targets; sticking with the ones that Hoke identified; or a mix?

As a NU fan, LouV assured us that our recruits are solid with NU. But I'm concerned about Perry and J Thomas, although they both seem secure with us. I just know they call Harbough Captain Comeback for a reason.

Any thoughts on where Michigan picks the rest of their class up from? Poaching? Or players who haven't verballed?
This post was edited on 1/20 9:24 AM by Turk

Originally posted by CoralSpringsCat:
Damn, I'm already having Tyrone Wheatley, Jr. nightmares.
Curious if it is another one of those package deals? Two family members or nothing. It would be interesting to learn how active his dad has been in his recent training.

As to the OP's question, from the list offered it does not look like the Wildcats have anything to worry about. Clearly Harbaugh has a lot of other fish to fry if he hopes to get even half of those projected flips to flop.

thanks

Looks like they plan on picking from FSU, Stanford, OSU. I hope they land that wr they are trying to pick from FSU.

Grant Perry

Reported that he was hosting an in-home visit on Jan. 15. Was that Harbaugh or us?

Re: Grant Perry

Getting hired around the dead period certainly effected immediate commitments for Harbaugh. I did expect a couple of surprises with the hire, but there is still time. It wouldn't surprise me if he got a couple of flips, a couple of high rated guys who weren't on Michigan's radar prior to the Harbaugh hiring, and maybe a couple of 3 Star guys who have the attributes Harbaugh wants.

Regardless Michigan will have a small class this year, though it could be of good quality.. The real impact in recruiting will be seen next year.

Evanstonian, kind of interesting that they have two kickers/punters in the class, admittedly one is a walk on. Guess even the top programs recognize how important the kicking game is.

Per rivals site, 4 star QB Drew Lock recently offered by Michigan. He is a Missouri commit and the #! player in Missouri. Says he is sticking with Missouri.

Originally posted by willycat:
Evanstonian, kind of interesting that they have two kickers/punters in the class, admittedly one is a walk on. Guess even the top programs recognize how important the kicking game is.
I assume you're trying to support an argument that Fitz doesn't offer enough scholarships to kickers and punters. According to the Rivals database, the last time Michigan had a scholarship kicker or punter in a recruiting class was 2011. So, what's your point?

Re: Grant Perry

Originally posted by klemman:
Getting hired around the dead period certainly effected immediate commitments for Harbaugh. I did expect a couple of surprises with the hire, but there is still time. It wouldn't surprise me if he got a couple of flips, a couple of high rated guys who weren't on Michigan's radar prior to the Harbaugh hiring, and maybe a couple of 3 Star guys who have the attributes Harbaugh wants.

Regardless Michigan will have a small class this year, though it could be of good quality.. The real impact in recruiting will be seen next year.
Good points but unless there is a big change this first year it will be more of the same for Michigan recruiting. Sort of a chicken and egg thing.

hawk, the point is that, except for Budzien the kicking game the last 10 or so years has been much less than stellar.

I believe his point is that walk on kickers aren't as good as scholarship kickers. Have you SEEN Michigan's kicking since their last scholarship kicker left? It's been abysmal.

Originally posted by Mr. Stupor:
I believe his point is that walk on kickers aren't as good as scholarship kickers. Have you SEEN Michigan's kicking since their last scholarship kicker left? It's been abysmal.
I could be wrong, but I thought Matt Wile came in on scholarship to Michigan. May have also initially been a punter.

hawk, the point is that, except for Budzien the kicking game the last 10 or so years has been much less than stellar.
And we had three scholarshipped kickers besides Budzien during that time (Demos, Larshied, Hoffman, . So again, what's your point?

Aside from a few stray kicks in bowl games (ouch!), our walkon and other kickers have performed quite well during that time, too. But that reality would take away Willycat's #221st reason to bitch about NU football.

This post was edited on 1/21 1:46 PM by Gladeskat

they're coming after Wisconsin verbals, Jake Pickard is visiting this weekend, maybe Moorman also..

Originally posted by gocatsgo2003:
Originally posted by Mr. Stupor:
I could be wrong, but I thought Matt Wile came in on scholarship to Michigan. May have also initially been a punter.
Correct. Matt Wile was the last scholarship kicker or punter in a Michigan recruiting class -- in 2011.

Your statement to which I was referring related entirely to Michigan's kicking situation. The only possible implication in that statement with respect to NU would be an incorrect one that Michigan brings in more kickers on scholarship than NU.

This post was edited on 1/21 9:23 PM by HawkCat

They have a Rutgers verbal at CB from Florida with a visit scheduled also.
Shame he isn't recruiting the other conferences instead of trying to weaken the Big 10.

Didn't you used to have the Cardale Jones tweet in your Buckeye Hall of Shame below your messages?

OK hawk, let's try this one more time. I used Michigan as an example because they are bringing in TWO kickers in this years class. First let me ask has NU ever brought in two kickers in the same recruiting class? Secondly can you or anyone else actually say the kicking/punting game has been above average in recent years? Budzien excluded.

I took it out after hearing about his story, and he is staying in school to graduate instead of going to the NFL. It felt right to take him off the wall of shame.

Respect.

OK hawk, let's try this one more time. I used Michigan as an example because they are bringing in TWO kickers in this years class. First let me ask has NU ever brought in two kickers in the same recruiting class? Secondly can you or anyone else actually say the kicking/punting game has been above average in recent years? Budzien excluded.
Kicking has been better than average with Villareal and Demos kicking and punting. When you take away their unfortunate performances in the Sun, Alamo, and Outback Bowls, which is ALL some people can remember, they were actually good kickers. Villareal made 33 of 44 kicks (75%), which was the top career kicking percentage at NU until Budzien. Demos made 34 of 48 kicks (71%), which was also good. Budzien was just OK his first season but was excellent his last two seasons. Mitchell had what I consider an excellent first season last year (14 of 18 kicks for 78%). Punting was just average back then. We did have some excellent success with rugby punts for a while with a punter who I don't recall. Our punter received a BTPOW award this year, but punting has been below average the last few years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT