ADVERTISEMENT

Why do scholarship athletes have to sit out a year after transferring...

torque-cat

Dec 11, 2018
but coaches can break contracts and move to other schools without sitting out?

but coaches can break contracts and move to other schools without sitting out?
If you have to sit out a year it is a big disincentive to transfer. If there was no penalty transfer chaos would ensue. It would be bad for the game if it were allowed to happen in my opinion. Far fewer coaches than players.

Reactions: HawkCat
If there was no penalty transfer chaos would ensue

get_smart_shoe_phone.jpg

Only one man can stop chaos.

Transfer rules need to be updated for this day and age. This isn’t 1980. Power brokers want to keep control.

Really? Be careful what you wish for. One year of sitting subject to hardship exceptions isn’t creating much of a problem for the student athletes that I’m aware of. On the other hand, you eliminate it and the 4 year guaranteed scholarship would almost certainly go down the drain with it. You want to go back to year-to-year scholarships?

GOUNUII

I think the biggest issue isn't whether or not athletes have to sit out a year- its that there is no consistency regarding who can play immediately and who has to sit out. I don't think it's fair that many athletes can lawyer up and gain immediate eligibility while players who follow the rules have to wait a year.

My biggest fear with immediate eligibility is that it will encourage teams to "Crean" / Harbaugh the worst players on the team to make room for others. Imagine being a scholarship athlete buried on the depth chart- a coach like Harbaugh will convince that scholarship player to leave and that he can play immediately elsewhere to make room for better players. I don't like the idea of athletes feeling pressure by their coaches to leave a school.

Regarding comparisons I've seen saying other non-student athletes can transfer at any time without issue to another school, so can student athletes. In fact, they can keep and maintain their scholarship as well, they just have to wait a year to play in that sport.

My biggest fear with immediate eligibility is that it will encourage teams to "Crean" / Harbaugh the worst players on the team to make room for others. Imagine being a scholarship athlete buried on the depth chart- a coach like Harbaugh will convince that scholarship player to leave and that he can play immediately elsewhere to make room for better players. I don't like the idea of athletes feeling pressure by their coaches to leave a school.
But don't they already do that in order to bring in larger freshmen classes each year? There's a reason why Michigan and the SEC schools sign 25+ players in each recruiting class, compared to the 18 or so at a school like Northwestern.

Really? Be careful what you wish for. One year of sitting subject to hardship exceptions isn’t creating much of a problem for the student athletes that I’m aware of. On the other hand, you eliminate it and the 4 year guaranteed scholarship would almost certainly go down the drain with it. You want to go back to year-to-year scholarships?

GOUNUII
Absolutely really. 4 year guarantee scholarships to prevent Coaches running off their recruiting mistakes. If a team loses a player to transfer, they can take a transfer. Kids should not be penalized for things like a coach leaving which exposes them to a personality/scheme they didn’t sign up for. Kids want to play.

Importantly, the whole transfer waiver system is inconsistency applied. Justin Fields is applying for a waiver due to racial slurs made by a UGA baseball player at one of their games. No one will ever defend this type of behavior, but if granted, wouldn’t every African-American on the UGA be eligle to transfer with immediate eligibility on the same grounds of a hostile environment/ culture. Shea Patterson is immediately eligible allegedly because the U of Mississippi coaches didn’t disclose the extent of the NCAA penalties they faced. Luke Ford is transferring to Illinois from Georgia because of a sick Grandfather. What player won’t have a sick relative as a reason when they move closer to home? In basketball, Mark Smith is granted immediate eligibility to play for Missouri this year. Why? No one seems to know, but speculation revolves around an abusive Head Coach in Underwood. Let’s not try and pretend immediate eligibility doesn’t exist already and rules are nothing more than guidelines that are inconsistency applied.

I also reject the idea that immediate eligibility would create some type of wild Wild West approach of the best players all joining forces to make some all star team. IMO, the fear is way overblown. If anything, I believe the big boys would lose more players than the next level teams. Again, players want to play. Hunter transferred from Clemson. Fields from Georgia. Jeff Thomas from Miami. Luke Ford from Georgia. Powerhouse programs.

As discussed on the Rock, there can be limits or other guard rails put in place to alleviate fears of “transfer teams”. I really don’t think the movement would be anywhere near what some people that favor the status quo think it would be. The answer isn’t to restrict movement or promote embellished reasons for immediate eligibility when a player wants to move on. If they are in a bad situation, they should be able to move on without sacrificing a year of their playing life.

Because the coaches have contractual terms they negotiate and the students don’t?
Maybe there is some sort of answer there.
Maybe recruits should be able to commit to a variety of commitment options. which might or might not include freedoms like varying degrees of open transfer options and /or guarantees like four year scholarships. A hot commodity 5 star could say, "I'll go to your school if you will allow me free agency and guarantees.", a less qualified guy might say, "I just want the guarantees." zero star might say, "Just gimme a year coach, I'll prove it to you."
Alabama could say, "We are Alabama, we own you." Eastern Michigan could say, "We will take good care of you but if you're not satisfied, you're free to go."

Reactions: CatFanEd
If the players Unionize and start taking salaries- thus becoming employees, then some of their other benefits may be subject to taxation. When it comes to big time college sports, there are many complex issues that can’t be perfectly resolved. The system wasn’t initially designed for what it has become.

^ What's the difference btwn a stipend and a salary; or for that matter, other forms of compensation (scholarship, etc.)?

Yeah, the tax code may treat it differently, but that's the tax code for ya (often doesn't make sense).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT