ADVERTISEMENT

Why is our recruiting under Fitz not at par with Barnett or smart schools?

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
First off, this isn't a B*tch post. Do I think Fitz is doing a great job? Hell yeah. But there are some questions I have that I'd like to hear some answers on.

1. Barnett recruited a top 15 class after one successful season with a crap stadium and a miserable AD in Taylor, and an Admin that was as tight as two coats of paint. The Albrieights #39 recruit, Harris', Anderson's, Benfley's, Brown's, Nyehnhuis'. He owned the best recruits in Wisconsin with Albreight, and John Navarre, etc. And the academic restrictions were maybe even tougher than what Fitz has to go through today. Without comparing how Barnett did it, and how Fitz is recruiting, what gives and why can't we get any Big League Top 100 studs? Granted our #1 recruit this year is great and a home grown dude but he is no better than a concensus #200 recruit. From there it drops off. And I don't buy all of the star rankings because close to 50 schools have 3.0 average star rankings whereas, back in the day, only about 30. There has been star inflation. But since Barnett got a top 15 recruiting ranking, why are we stuck at #45+ each year, at the end of the year? This suggest that we have room for improvement.

2. Smart schools. As I look at the private schools, I see suck programs like Duke and Vandy ahead of us this year with average star value. With a #1 practice facility in the nation, and a consistent solid program, what's the deal? While I can't fuss about Notre Dame or Stanford, or USC out recruiting us, isn't it fair to question why the Duke's and Vanderbilt's outgun us?

I admit I may be wrong, but just by looking at this, I'd say that Fitz is handicapped with stricter academic standards than Vandy or Duke. I don't mind that. I don't want problems here and I have no problem getting recruits who have to work harder over 5 years to get to a bowl game than a 5 star who muddies the program and leaves after 2. Not that a Christian McCafferty would muddy anything.

But the real stinker to my thinking is that Barnett actually did compete with all the top schools without even winning a bowl game. What gives? Something seems odd. And again, not a knock on Fitz because I like where this program is at. And as far as recruiting he is relentless and doesn't annoy me like Randy did or Carmody.

Reactions: FeliSilvestris
First off, this isn't a B*tch post. Do I think Fitz is doing a great job? Hell yeah. But there are some questions I have that I'd like to hear some answers on.

1. Barnett recruited a top 15 class after one successful season with a crap stadium and a miserable AD in Taylor, and an Admin that was as tight as two coats of paint. The Albrieights #39 recruit, Harris', Anderson's, Benfley's, Brown's, Nyehnhuis'. He owned the best recruits in Wisconsin with Albreight, and John Navarre, etc. And the academic restrictions were maybe even tougher than what Fitz has to go through today. Without comparing how Barnett did it, and how Fitz is recruiting, what gives and why can't we get any Big League Top 100 studs? Granted our #1 recruit this year is great and a home grown dude but he is no better than a concensus #200 recruit. From there it drops off. And I don't buy all of the star rankings because close to 50 schools have 3.0 average star rankings whereas, back in the day, only about 30. There has been star inflation. But since Barnett got a top 15 recruiting ranking, why are we stuck at #45+ each year, at the end of the year? This suggest that we have room for improvement.

2. Smart schools. As I look at the private schools, I see suck programs like Duke and Vandy ahead of us this year with average star value. With a #1 practice facility in the nation, and a consistent solid program, what's the deal? While I can't fuss about Notre Dame or Stanford, or USC out recruiting us, isn't it fair to question why the Duke's and Vanderbilt's outgun us?

I admit I may be wrong, but just by looking at this, I'd say that Fitz is handicapped with stricter academic standards than Vandy or Duke. I don't mind that. I don't want problems here and I have no problem getting recruits who have to work harder over 5 years to get to a bowl game than a 5 star who muddies the program and leaves after 2. Not that a Christian McCafferty would muddy anything.

But the real stinker to my thinking is that Barnett actually did compete with all the top schools without even winning a bowl game. What gives? Something seems odd. And again, not a knock on Fitz because I like where this program is at. And as far as recruiting he is relentless and doesn't annoy me like Randy did or Carmody.

Barnett, when he was hungry and actually wanted to be at NU, was 10x the coach Fitz is. Barnett did one of the all tie great coaching jobs winning not just 1 but 2 titles at NU. His ability to motivate and sell NU was second to none. He just got burned out and wanted to be home at Colorado.

Barnett, when he was hungry and actually wanted to be at NU, was 10x the coach Fitz is. Barnett did one of the all tie great coaching jobs winning not just 1 but 2 titles at NU. His ability to motivate and sell NU was second to none. He just got burned out and wanted to be home at Colorado.
Was Barnett loyal to his coaches like Fitz? I know Walker was. Without Fitz, Walker still would have Colby.

Barnett had a decent OC and DC I think but along came Vocrich sp? and I thought he sucked although he went to Colorado briefly with Barnett. Who was our OC, Tim something if I remember correctly? Or was his staff just a bunch of b leaguers coasting on Barnett's charisma and wit?

Was Barnett loyal to his coaches like Fitz? I know Walker was. Without Fitz, Walker still would have Colby.

Barnett had a decent OC and DC I think but along came Vocrich sp? and I thought he sucked although he went to Colorado briefly with Barnett. Who was our OC, Tim something if I remember correctly? Or was his staff just a bunch of b leaguers coasting on Barnett's charisma and wit?
I think the DC (Vanderlan?) was better than ok and a great recruiter. Seems like his career got derailed along the way, I forget how but he was a young, top notch guy as I remember.

A troll post is a troll post, even if you say that it isn't.

That said, Barnett was able to recruit those classes because the Rose Bowl made NU a national story; also doesn't hurt that the team finished as a top-10 team even with the Rose Bowl loss and was ranked highly both going into the 1996 season and a top-15 team after the Citrus Bowl loss. Two straight conference titles along with two straight "New Year's Day" bowl games (in an old-school sense, not the watered-down bowl schedule we have nowadays) makes things a little easier.

And yes, NU's current academic restrictions are matched only by Stanford. Even then, Stanford's application of those restrictions appears to be a bit uneven. Duke, Vandy, and the other schools often referred to as "academic comps" have nothing close to what NU has to deal with in terms of academic restrictions.

Also pretty sure the on-field results speak a little louder regarding our success against Vandy and Duke than recruiting rankings.

I think the DC (Vanderlan?) was better than ok and a great recruiter. Seems like his career got derailed along the way, I forget how but he was a young, top notch guy as I remember.
Got the HC job at Maryland, they weren't good for the 4 or 5 years he was there and he was canned.

Is Barnett the anomaly or Fitz? I think Barnett - always shocked he never did anything after CU - unless of course that was his choice.

In the last 20 years, we have seen a tremendous escalation of the arms race all throughout college football. Many more competitors for the top players. I loved Gary and he did a sports miracle at NU, but his 1998 team was worse than ANY of Fitz's teams. Pat has achieved remarkable consistency at NU that I think Barnett doubted he could do in Evanston, and thus he bolted for Colorado. And as for the academic competitors, I believe Fitz is 8-0 since 2008 vs. Duke, Vandy, Stanford and Boston College.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
A troll post is a troll post, even if you say that it isn't.

That said, Barnett was able to recruit those classes because the Rose Bowl made NU a national story; also doesn't hurt that the team finished as a top-10 team even with the Rose Bowl loss and was ranked highly both going into the 1996 season and a top-15 team after the Citrus Bowl loss. Two straight conference titles along with two straight "New Year's Day" bowl games (in an old-school sense, not the watered-down bowl schedule we have nowadays) makes things a little easier.

And yes, NU's current academic restrictions are matched only by Stanford. Even then, Stanford's application of those restrictions appears to be a bit uneven. Duke, Vandy, and the other schools often referred to as "academic comps" have nothing close to what NU has to deal with in terms of academic restrictions.

Also pretty sure the on-field results speak a little louder regarding our success against Vandy and Duke than recruiting rankings.
lol. You can call it a troll post all day, that's fine. It's a legit question. And yes, as stupid as this sounds, I completely blew off the high ranking and national exposure. At the end of the day, I guess rankings matter. For basketball, rankings and prolly the tournament. Should be on to great things there.

On the field, you are absolutely correct, who can deny that Fitz has kicked private school booty, regardless of recruiting star rankings. Not sure of the last loss he had against a private school. Also, he seems to like to kick Franklin booty.

In the last 20 years, we have seen a tremendous escalation of the arms race all throughout college football. Many more competitors for the top players. I loved Gary and he did a sports miracle at NU, but his 1998 team was worse than ANY of Fitz's teams. Pat has achieved remarkable consistency at NU that I think Barnett doubted he could do in Evanston, and thus he bolted for Colorado. And as for the academic competitors, I believe Fitz is 8-0 since 2008 vs. Duke, Vandy, Stanford and Boston College.
Not to discount Fitz' fine job on the field, but longterm, his ability to get the Admin to instill confidence in him is one thing that Barnett never could do. I mean, Barnett got his players to believe, but couldn't get the Admin. Fitz got the admin to believe because he didn't have the ego Barnett did nor the neutral blood. I gotta think a recruit will be monstrously impressed when he can walk into that monster lakeside facility. Then the plan is to redo Ryan Field.

Not to discount Fitz' fine job on the field, but longterm, his ability to get the Admin to instill confidence in him is one thing that Barnett never could do. I mean, Barnett got his players to believe, but couldn't get the Admin. Fitz got the admin to believe because he didn't have the ego Barnett did nor the neutral blood. I gotta think a recruit will be monstrously impressed when he can walk into that monster lakeside facility. Then the plan is to redo Ryan Field.

... or the fact that Barnett seemed to enjoy being feted and connected to the "top" job openings in college football while Fitz has flatly turned them down when they've come calling.

He is what he is. I think he's a good coach and a strong recruiter for the kids he goes after. But:

1) He was never on a National Championship team. Frankly, I do think this is limiting, and I see more ceiling for our hoops team and CCC as a result. Fitz has never really been a part of a program that relied on national championship calibre recruits. Even the two time B1G championship teams that he was on was largely made from overlooked and underheralded players. I think that also tells him that kids with Bama and dOSU offers aren't needed to build a championship team, which technically is true, but I do think makes it a hell of a lot harder.

2) He was raised as a coach and a recruiter under the Walker regime. That means he picked up the most I think from Walker - all the good and bad of that. Part of the bad I think is that Walker was somewhat Carmodyesque when it came to recruiting - I don't think he was nearly as bad as BC but I think he was known to not enjoy it and it certainly wasn't his forte. In any case, I think this includes a notion that you don't necessarily go after the best, but instead focus more on fit and what's in your weight class - whether you think that's good or bad - moreso than say a Jim Harbaugh did at Stanford or what CCC is now doing on the hoops side.

Anyways, Turk asked a question so I responded with my worthless theoretical meaderings on the matter. So, no one get upset now, because it's just unmeaningful speculation from someone who admittedly doesn't have a clue as to why we don't seem to pursue and land bigger fish in the recruiting world, despite our academic peers doing it regularly (Stanford in particular) and (an)other coach having done the same at NU.

... or the fact that Barnett seemed to enjoy being feted and connected to the "top" job openings in college football while Fitz has flatly turned them down when they've come calling.

Sure, Fitz's loyalty is his strength. To school anyways. And for that, we will love him always. The loyalty to some of his staff is his bane.

I hate to sound like a homer, but "average star" ranking does not necessarily translate to superior talent on the football field.

Mason and Cutcliffe need to recruit "star rankings" in order to keep their jobs. How else are they going to sell progress to their respective AD's?

Fitzgerald knows hes got a very long leash here, and could focus more on recruiting the kids that fit the programs mold regardless of "star ranking".

Now if all of a sudden you go from the 50th ranked recruiting class to a top 10 recruiting class like Maryland then I'll say the coaches onto something, but IMO there isn't much desparity between 25-50.

I hate to sound like a homer, but "average star" ranking does not necessarily translate to superior talent on the football field.

Mason and Cutcliffe need to recruit "star rankings" in order to keep their jobs. How else are they going to sell progress to their respective AD's?

Fitzgerald knows hes got a very long leash here, and could focus more on recruiting the kids that fit the programs mold regardless of "star ranking".

Now if all of a sudden you go from the 50th ranked recruiting class to a top 10 recruiting class like Maryland then I'll say the coaches onto something, but IMO there isn't much desparity between 25-50.

...or Fitz pays precisely zero attention to star ratings and relies on his/his staff's evaluation of prospects.

Barnett is infallible in your eyes. Clouds most of your discussions on the topic.

Though I appreciate the paternalistic scolding.

Whether Barnett is infallible or not has nothing to do with a comment on Fitz. Though I will point out that he was indeed the far better coach. Every recruiting class that he brought into NU won a B1G title. The rest of NU's coaching ranks in our lifetime = 0.

On the scolding, I do what I can. Meanwhile, I appreciate your prickish puss persona, though it is indeed getting old.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Whether Barnett is infallible or not has nothing to do with a comment on Fitz. Though I will point out that he was indeed the far better coach. Every recruiting class that he brought into NU won a B1G title. The rest of NU's coaching ranks in our lifetime = 0.

On the scolding, I do what I can. Meanwhile, I appreciate your prickish puss persona, though it is indeed getting old.

"Prickish puss," eh? How original. Do you pay No Chores or GOUNU royalties?

Got the HC job at Maryland, they weren't good for the 4 or 5 years he was there and he was canned.

Vanderlinden improved the Terps each year, but was unable to top 5 wins in a single season during his four year tenure.

Although ultimately unsuccessful on the field, he did significantly upgrade the talent in College Park. The season after Vandy was let go, Maryland won the ACC title. In fact, all of Ralph Friedgen's digit win seasons (2001-03) were with Ron's recruits.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
The difference between Barnett and Fits is the difference between a sprinter and a marathon runner.

Fitz is only half way through his race and Barnett is done.

Reactions: cat inkansas
The difference between Barnett and Fits is the difference between a sprinter and a marathon runner.

Fitz is only half way through his race and Barnett is done.

Yeah, and he won a couple of golds. Let's see how Fitz finishes.

He got a HC gig at MD and while it started well enough, when it was done he was sort of screwed

A while back, I tried digging for recruit rankings during the Barnett years comparable to what we have now. Since Rivals and TOS don't go back that far (as far as I know), what are you basing Barnett's Top 15 classes on?

Look up Katatonic's website in the Waybackmachine.

UNOFFICIAL NORTHWESTERN RECRUITING SITE
The Class of 2001

Northwestern's 1997 signees:

1. Gavin Hoffman, QB, 6-6 215, 4.85, Breck Academy, Minneapolis, MN. 170 of 287 passing on the year for 2,506 yds and 25 TDs. Let his team to their first- ever state championship. Set 13 school records, including most TD passes in career (35) and single-season (25). MN Gatorade player of the year, all-Conference, all-Metro, all-State, and Conference MVP. Gavin is also on the NRA top 100 list, and was recruited by most (all?) of the Big Ten schools, as well as Duke, Stanford, and the Ivies. He's a right-hander; his HS coach says he's "as good as [1996 Michigan recruit Jason] Kapsner [was], and he is a more accurate passer." USA Today AA HM.
  2. Adam Fay, OL, 6-5 275, 5.2, Bettendorf, IA. Adam is on the SuperPrep top 180 list; a rival coach says he has "tremendous drive off the line ... just bruises people". Adam turned down offers from Iowa and Iowa State to become a Wildcat. First ever Iowa lineman of the year to be plucked from Hayden Fry's grasp. Said to be bench-pressing 400# ! USA Today AA HM.
  3. Jason Koszyk, OT/DE, 6-5 245, 5.0, Darien-Hinsdale South, IL. Tom Lemming calls him "a very fluid and tough OT who moves his feet well and shows the agility and body control needed to become a dominant OL in college". Graded at over 80% in his blocking assignments. Benches 295. Also longsnaps. Sun-Times all-area team; Illinois all-state, USA Today AA HM. GPA 3.0/1310 SAT/29 ACT.
  4. Ted Johnson, WR, 6-1 180, 4.5, Larkin-Elgin, IL. SP calls Ted a "human highlight film." As a junior, 53 catches for 825 yds (18 ypc); 11 scores. Also returns kicks. Tom Lemming tabs him as one of the top 10 WRs in the Midwest. 2000 yds in receptions in the past three years. Picked the 'Cats over Illinois, Purdue, Iowa, and NIU. Could stay at WR or move to DB in college. SuperPrep all-Midwest.
  5. Brian Marshall, RB, 5-11 200 4.55, Birmingham Brother Rice, MI. Gained 1,456 yds on 222 carries and 18 TDs last season. #4 RB in the midwest by TNRA. Broke 100 yards in each of his first three games, and has over 1000 yds after 8 games this year. Picked NU over MSU, Michigan, and others. Either #1 or #2 RB in Michigan. SuperPrep all-Midwest. SP says he turned down 14 other offers, including ones from ND and MSU, to become a Wildcat.
  6. Mike Sherry, TE, 6-5 210 4.65, Griffith, IN. His coach says, "Mike is the best raw talent I've coached in 19 years." Should bulk up to 240 or so. BPs 305, parallel squats 330, and has a 31" VJ. Caught 25 passes for 719 yds last season, average 28.8 yds per catch; 14 TDs. Also starts on the bball team. 1030 SAT. SuperPrep all-Midwest. PrepStar All-BigTen Region.
  7. Lance Clelland, OL, 6-6 270 5.2, Owings Mills McDonough, MD. "The total package," says SuperPrep. Three- year starter; BPs 315; 26" VJ. SuperPrep All-American. 3.0 GPA/1140 SAT. Also looked at BC, PSU, Tennessee, Clemson, Maryland, GaTech, and many others. Offered by Maryland, PSU, UCLA, and BC, at least.
  8. Mark Perry, OL 6-5 280 5.2, Elizabethtown Central Hardin, KY. Brother of Todd Perry (OL, Bears). Todd says his brother has put on 30 lbs of muscle and increased his BP from 250 to 315 this fall. Todd says Mark is "bigger, more athletic, and has better skills than I did at 18, especially at pass blocking" and adds that he has a great work ethic. Had an excellent 3.9 HS GPA and was 25th out of his class of 430. Area Lineman of the Year and all-State his senior year. Played every offensive down in the KY-TN HS All-Star game, protecting QB Tim Couch enroute to a 10-0 shutout of TN. Mark will be participating in workouts at NU this winter.
  9. Tom O'Brien, LB/DE 6-4 235 4.75, LaGrange Nazareth Prep, IL. SuperPrep Top 50! Decommitted from Illinois in the wake of the Tepper firing. 120 tackles junior year, 8 sacks, 3 picks. Could play down LB or bulk up to play DE. (Confirmed by Sun-Times 11/30.)
  10. Marvin Brown, RB/DB 5-11 190 4.5, Pueblo Central, CO. Probably the #2 TB in Colorado (#1 is going to play baseball). He rushed for 1221 yds on 171 carries for 18 TDs as a junior, and runs a 10.9 100m. Also looked at Nebraska, Colorado, ASU, and ND. Rumor is he'll play at DB for the 'Cats.
  11. Rob Johnson, QB 6-4 195 4.65 Plymouth Canton, MI. Tom Lemming in the preseason called Rob, "a big, strong-armed QB who is very tough and confident ... with the arm strength to throw the ball 60 yards ... drop-back QB who also shows ability to scramble". Threw for 1500 yds and 11 TDs as a jr; rushed for 628 yds & 8 TDs. Great 3.6 GPA.
  12. Joe Collins, OL 6-8 270 5.3 Stamford King & Low-Heywood Thomas, CT. Ranked #2 all-region in New England by SuperPrep, Joe was offered by Stanford, Cal, BC, Syracuse, and Penn State. Should bulk up to >300 lbs. after Larry Lilja takes charge. Excellent 3.2 GPA/1100 SAT. BPs 375# according to CSPN.
  13. Mycal Jones, DB/WR 6-0 190 4.45 Jeannette, PA. Three-year starter on both sides of the ball (FS & WB). 5 picks as a junior; also a top KR man: returned 4 punts and 3 KO's for scores as a junior. Didn't return for a score this year in the regular season because opponents wouldn't kick to him (!), but returned a punt 73 yards for a TD in the playoffs. SP all region. Tom Lemming says Mycal is "an outstanding pass defender with good acceleration and change of direction ... also a very sure open field tackler who shows tremendous quickness to the ball ... a super athlete who will have everyone chasing him come December." Phil Grosz lists him as one of the nation's top 10 DB's. USA Today AA HM.
  14. Leon Brockmeier, OL 6-7 275 5.2, Tallahassee Lincoln, FL. SP's leadoff in the "sleeper" section preseason, Dixie all-region presigning. Leon also looked at Tennessee, VaTech, FSU, PSU, ND, Auburn, and Michigan. Coach Barnett calls him "the best OL prospect I've seen in 10 years."
  15. Napoleon Harris, TE/LB/Ath 6-4 210 4.6, Harvey Thornton, IL. SuperPrep All-American! 32 rcpts for over 700 yds as a junior; 7 sacks as an OLB. Lemming says he's one of the top 5 players in the Chicago area. Will try to play hoops also. Was heavily courted by Michigan, also had offers from tOSU and ND. May play at rush end if Larry Lilja can bulk him up a bit. 3.7 GPA/24 ACT. USA Today AA HM.
  16. Shegun Cummings-John, RB/DB/Ath 6-1 181 4.4, Mesa, AZ. Leading rusher in east valley region as a junior, averaged 8.1 ypc, 10 tds; 55 tackles, 1 pick, 3 fumble recoveries on defense. 3.4 GPA/ 1100 SAT. Listed in preseason PrepStars. First team all-state in 5A. Reportedly not recruited heavily because he told recruiters he was only interested in NU or Stanford (!), but all of the Pac-10 schools were interested, as was Nebraska. Brother plays CB for LaTech. Comes from same school as Robert Holcombe (Ill.) but his running style is said to be more similar to that of another Phoenix-area product who plays his college ball in Illinois. Don't have his academic stats, but I'm under the impression they're superb.
  17. Salem Simon, DE 6-3 240 [no 40 time], Cleveland Benedictine, OH. Didn't appear in SP preseason edition, but had a strong senior campaign and was recruited by (at least) Syracuse and Michigan State. Described as "explosive" and a good catch. USA Today AA HM.
  18. Nick Kreinbrink, QB 6-3 205 [no 40 time available] Leipsic, OH. Second team all-state, all-NW Ohio QB in Division VI. Two year starter, passed for 2,703 yds and 25 TDs (conference single season record); passed for 565 yds and 6 TDs in one game (state single-game record). Also a standout hoops star (forward) and baseball player; hopes to walk-on to the baseball team at NU. See the story from his hometown newspaper for more info.
  19. Mike Souza, OL 6-7 275 5.2 Honolulu Punahou, HI. #1 player in Hawaii according to SuperPrep, "runs well for his size and is advanced technique-wise ... has good feet." Also longsnaps. Everyone's All-American on the football field, all-American in the classroom as well: 3.4 GPA/1300 SAT, plans on going pre-med. BPs 390, squats 450. Turned down (at least) USC, UCLA, Colorado, and Stanford. What else to say except: WOW! USA Today AA HM, Parade AA, etc.
  20. Damien Anderson, TB/FS/LB 5-11 192 4.5, Wilmington, IL. 2002 yds and 37 TDs this year, 6 PATs. The 37 TDs puts him ahead of Red Grange on the all-time Illinois HS list. First team all-state, Illinois Player of the Year, etc. Lemming ranks him the #3 TB in the midwest, #14 nationally at TB, #58 at all positions, and says he is "very durable with great vision, deceptive speed and tremendous desire." A topnotch weightlifter who can already bench close to 400#! Also looked at ND, Iowa, UMich, Illinois, Nebraska, Purdue, NIU, Missouri, BC, Army. USA Today AA HM.

Pasted from <http://web.archive.org/web/20031231232918/www.acelink.net/users/bkaiser/nu_recr_retro.html>

The Class of 2001

1. Gavin Hoffman, QB, 6-6 215, 4.85, Breck Academy, Minneapolis, MN. 170 of 287 passing on the year for 2,506 yds and 25 TDs. Let his team to their first- ever state championship. Set 13 school records, including most TD passes in career (35) and single-season (25). MN Gatorade player of the year, all-Conference, all-Metro, all-State, and Conference MVP. Gavin is also on the NRA top 100 list, and was recruited by most (all?) of the Big Ten schools, as well as Duke, Stanford, and the Ivies. He's a right-hander; his HS coach says he's "as good as [1996 Michigan recruit Jason] Kapsner [was], and he is a more accurate passer." USA Today AA HM.
  2. Adam Fay, OL, 6-5 275, 5.2, Bettendorf, IA. Adam is on the SuperPrep top 180 list; a rival coach says he has "tremendous drive off the line ... just bruises people". Adam turned down offers from Iowa and Iowa State to become a Wildcat. First ever Iowa lineman of the year to be plucked from Hayden Fry's grasp. Said to be bench-pressing 400# ! USA Today AA HM.
  3. Jason Koszyk, OT/DE, 6-5 245, 5.0, Darien-Hinsdale South, IL. Tom Lemming calls him "a very fluid and tough OT who moves his feet well and shows the agility and body control needed to become a dominant OL in college". Graded at over 80% in his blocking assignments. Benches 295. Also longsnaps. Sun-Times all-area team; Illinois all-state, USA Today AA HM. GPA 3.0/1310 SAT/29 ACT.
  4. Ted Johnson, WR, 6-1 180, 4.5, Larkin-Elgin, IL. SP calls Ted a "human highlight film." As a junior, 53 catches for 825 yds (18 ypc); 11 scores. Also returns kicks. Tom Lemming tabs him as one of the top 10 WRs in the Midwest. 2000 yds in receptions in the past three years. Picked the 'Cats over Illinois, Purdue, Iowa, and NIU. Could stay at WR or move to DB in college. SuperPrep all-Midwest.
  5. Brian Marshall, RB, 5-11 200 4.55, Birmingham Brother Rice, MI. Gained 1,456 yds on 222 carries and 18 TDs last season. #4 RB in the midwest by TNRA. Broke 100 yards in each of his first three games, and has over 1000 yds after 8 games this year. Picked NU over MSU, Michigan, and others. Either #1 or #2 RB in Michigan. SuperPrep all-Midwest. SP says he turned down 14 other offers, including ones from ND and MSU, to become a Wildcat.
  6. Mike Sherry, TE, 6-5 210 4.65, Griffith, IN. His coach says, "Mike is the best raw talent I've coached in 19 years." Should bulk up to 240 or so. BPs 305, parallel squats 330, and has a 31" VJ. Caught 25 passes for 719 yds last season, average 28.8 yds per catch; 14 TDs. Also starts on the bball team. 1030 SAT. SuperPrep all-Midwest. PrepStar All-BigTen Region.
  7. Lance Clelland, OL, 6-6 270 5.2, Owings Mills McDonough, MD. "The total package," says SuperPrep. Three- year starter; BPs 315; 26" VJ. SuperPrep All-American. 3.0 GPA/1140 SAT. Also looked at BC, PSU, Tennessee, Clemson, Maryland, GaTech, and many others. Offered by Maryland, PSU, UCLA, and BC, at least.
  8. Mark Perry, OL 6-5 280 5.2, Elizabethtown Central Hardin, KY. Brother of Todd Perry (OL, Bears). Todd says his brother has put on 30 lbs of muscle and increased his BP from 250 to 315 this fall. Todd says Mark is "bigger, more athletic, and has better skills than I did at 18, especially at pass blocking" and adds that he has a great work ethic. Had an excellent 3.9 HS GPA and was 25th out of his class of 430. Area Lineman of the Year and all-State his senior year. Played every offensive down in the KY-TN HS All-Star game, protecting QB Tim Couch enroute to a 10-0 shutout of TN. Mark will be participating in workouts at NU this winter.
  9. Tom O'Brien, LB/DE 6-4 235 4.75, LaGrange Nazareth Prep, IL. SuperPrep Top 50! Decommitted from Illinois in the wake of the Tepper firing. 120 tackles junior year, 8 sacks, 3 picks. Could play down LB or bulk up to play DE. (Confirmed by Sun-Times 11/30.)
  10. Marvin Brown, RB/DB 5-11 190 4.5, Pueblo Central, CO. Probably the #2 TB in Colorado (#1 is going to play baseball). He rushed for 1221 yds on 171 carries for 18 TDs as a junior, and runs a 10.9 100m. Also looked at Nebraska, Colorado, ASU, and ND. Rumor is he'll play at DB for the 'Cats.
  11. Rob Johnson, QB 6-4 195 4.65 Plymouth Canton, MI. Tom Lemming in the preseason called Rob, "a big, strong-armed QB who is very tough and confident ... with the arm strength to throw the ball 60 yards ... drop-back QB who also shows ability to scramble". Threw for 1500 yds and 11 TDs as a jr; rushed for 628 yds & 8 TDs. Great 3.6 GPA.
  12. Joe Collins, OL 6-8 270 5.3 Stamford King & Low-Heywood Thomas, CT. Ranked #2 all-region in New England by SuperPrep, Joe was offered by Stanford, Cal, BC, Syracuse, and Penn State. Should bulk up to >300 lbs. after Larry Lilja takes charge. Excellent 3.2 GPA/1100 SAT. BPs 375# according to CSPN.
  13. Mycal Jones, DB/WR 6-0 190 4.45 Jeannette, PA. Three-year starter on both sides of the ball (FS & WB). 5 picks as a junior; also a top KR man: returned 4 punts and 3 KO's for scores as a junior. Didn't return for a score this year in the regular season because opponents wouldn't kick to him (!), but returned a punt 73 yards for a TD in the playoffs. SP all region. Tom Lemming says Mycal is "an outstanding pass defender with good acceleration and change of direction ... also a very sure open field tackler who shows tremendous quickness to the ball ... a super athlete who will have everyone chasing him come December." Phil Grosz lists him as one of the nation's top 10 DB's. USA Today AA HM.
  14. Leon Brockmeier, OL 6-7 275 5.2, Tallahassee Lincoln, FL. SP's leadoff in the "sleeper" section preseason, Dixie all-region presigning. Leon also looked at Tennessee, VaTech, FSU, PSU, ND, Auburn, and Michigan. Coach Barnett calls him "the best OL prospect I've seen in 10 years."
  15. Napoleon Harris, TE/LB/Ath 6-4 210 4.6, Harvey Thornton, IL. SuperPrep All-American! 32 rcpts for over 700 yds as a junior; 7 sacks as an OLB. Lemming says he's one of the top 5 players in the Chicago area. Will try to play hoops also. Was heavily courted by Michigan, also had offers from tOSU and ND. May play at rush end if Larry Lilja can bulk him up a bit. 3.7 GPA/24 ACT. USA Today AA HM.
  16. Shegun Cummings-John, RB/DB/Ath 6-1 181 4.4, Mesa, AZ. Leading rusher in east valley region as a junior, averaged 8.1 ypc, 10 tds; 55 tackles, 1 pick, 3 fumble recoveries on defense. 3.4 GPA/ 1100 SAT. Listed in preseason PrepStars. First team all-state in 5A. Reportedly not recruited heavily because he told recruiters he was only interested in NU or Stanford (!), but all of the Pac-10 schools were interested, as was Nebraska. Brother plays CB for LaTech. Comes from same school as Robert Holcombe (Ill.) but his running style is said to be more similar to that of another Phoenix-area product who plays his college ball in Illinois. Don't have his academic stats, but I'm under the impression they're superb.
  17. Salem Simon, DE 6-3 240 [no 40 time], Cleveland Benedictine, OH. Didn't appear in SP preseason edition, but had a strong senior campaign and was recruited by (at least) Syracuse and Michigan State. Described as "explosive" and a good catch. USA Today AA HM.
  18. Nick Kreinbrink, QB 6-3 205 [no 40 time available] Leipsic, OH. Second team all-state, all-NW Ohio QB in Division VI. Two year starter, passed for 2,703 yds and 25 TDs (conference single season record); passed for 565 yds and 6 TDs in one game (state single-game record). Also a standout hoops star (forward) and baseball player; hopes to walk-on to the baseball team at NU. See the story from his hometown newspaper for more info.
  19. Mike Souza, OL 6-7 275 5.2 Honolulu Punahou, HI. #1 player in Hawaii according to SuperPrep, "runs well for his size and is advanced technique-wise ... has good feet." Also longsnaps. Everyone's All-American on the football field, all-American in the classroom as well: 3.4 GPA/1300 SAT, plans on going pre-med. BPs 390, squats 450. Turned down (at least) USC, UCLA, Colorado, and Stanford. What else to say except: WOW! USA Today AA HM, Parade AA, etc.
  20. Damien Anderson, TB/FS/LB 5-11 192 4.5, Wilmington, IL. 2002 yds and 37 TDs this year, 6 PATs. The 37 TDs puts him ahead of Red Grange on the all-time Illinois HS list. First team all-state, Illinois Player of the Year, etc. Lemming ranks him the #3 TB in the midwest, #14 nationally at TB, #58 at all positions, and says he is "very durable with great vision, deceptive speed and tremendous desire." A topnotch weightlifter who can already bench close to 400#! Also looked at ND, Iowa, UMich, Illinois, Nebraska, Purdue, NIU, Missouri, BC, Army. USA Today AA HM.

Pasted from <http://web.archive.org/web/20031231232918/www.acelink.net/users/bkaiser/nu_recr_retro.html>

3 QB's......things have sure changed.

Reactions: Cat In The Cradle

Star rankings has 100% meant Big Ten Championships yearly, including the NU Championships. There is a reason why Walker was able to win a Championship. The Napo/Anderson class was ranked 15 by Lemming. And Zack Kustoc was a Top 100 with Lemming and transferred, so the class was really a Top 10 class. The entire OL was highly ranked as well. We haven't come close to winning a division, so I think the star rating is significant as it suggest that the West and East division championships are a direct result of recruiting classes that have higher or similar star ranks than the competitors.

I'm not sure, but I think that Fitz may stand down on most of the studs that are 5 and 4 star and doesn't even go after them. The only 4 stars on offense are Jackson and Thorson, so we shouldn't be surprised that both are studs on the field. Not sure when the last time we recruited a 4 star OL (Ward?), but don't tell me that we shouldn't have had at least a few 4 star OL by now unless there is something wrong. The theory that OL recruits haven't seen any evidence that NU can enhance the level of play along the line and prepare a young man for the NFL still hasn't been disproven. I think that is significant.

The Class of 2001

Toss in Zack Kustoc who was a Top 100 on the Prep Football Report (Tom Lemming) and the class would have been ranked higher than 15th, prolly top 8.

Fitz recruiting 'needs work' and I think this is an area he can work on. But, his yearly classes ranking 50s and 60s are definitely good enough to get us into a bowl game, baring injuries. I don't think anyone, with a straight face, would say that Fitz is nailing it on the recruiting front. Especially awol along the OL.

On the field, Fitz makes up for it by squeezing as much as he can out of our talent. Kids love him and love playing for him. I mean, he routinely has a Team Recruiting ranking of #11 or #12 in the Big Ten out of 14 teams but still finishes in the top half of the division. Not bad, given the deficiencies.

Last edited:
A while back, I tried digging for recruit rankings during the Barnett years comparable to what we have now. Since Rivals and TOS don't go back that far (as far as I know), what are you basing Barnett's Top 15 classes on?
I was going by Tom Lemming. But superpreep, prepstar, etc all had them in the top 20. But after the Zack Kustoc transfer (Lemming Top 100) the class would have most likely be ranked Top 10. That's how we won our last Big ten championship. Not with an average 2.5 stars. And we are out of the division race as well every year before the last week due to talent deficiencies. Recruiting rankings are significant. All Big Ten championship teams have high Team Recruiting rankings including our championship teams of '95, '96, '00. Remember, NU's big miracle was getting a recruiting class ranked nationally at #25 in 1993 out of nowhere prior to Big ten championships. Also, remember how bad our defense was in 00? That was because Barnett's high Team recruiting ranking was loaded up on offense due to top recruits like Grant Irons standing down after the Ron V departure. But we won the championship with All Americans mostly on offense (Anderson, Zack, Clelland, Brockemeyer). Maybe 4 stars Thorson and Jackson can squeeze us in a division champ??

At any rate, for reference of all of the above, see below. But don't believe those who say recruiting rankings don't mean anything. our 3 Big Ten Championships were a direct result of recruiting classes that were ranked higher than any Fitz class. Fitz can't even crack the Top 30 due to our awful recruiting along the OL (poor OL recruiting rankings and average OL play after tons of hard work)
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...239_1_coach-barnett-northwestern-gary-barnett

Last edited:
Reactions: Cat In The Cradle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT