ADVERTISEMENT

Winter Break

docrugby1

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
Sit down with your laptop tonight and take a break from winter by watching The Hyundai Open from Kapalua ,Maui on the Golf Channel. The scenery should warm a winter chill . Playing The Plantation Course is about as much fun as you can have on a golf course

I just got transferred to a tiny island in the South Pacific named Kwajalein. I have all of the break from winter that I need.

"Playing The Plantation Course is about as much fun as you can have on a golf course"

Now, if I could ride across it on my horse, THAT would be fun.

Seriously? Kwajelein. Isn't that where they had the death march? Oh, no, that's Bataan I'm thinking of. I'm going to get out my Victory at Sea tapes tonight. Do they get BTN there?

This post was edited on 1/8 5:31 PM by stpaulcat

No BTN. Just AFN which has one full time sports channel, two television channels, a news channel, and a movie channel.

I brought a gazillion hours of DVDs with me.

There was a battle here in WWII. Requires us to keep an archeologist on site in case we encounter remains.

One week down and 103 to go!

My uncle was a Marine in the South Pacific, including the invasion of Kwajalein. He graphically described to me the horrors of those battles. The old films don't do the Marines justice for their heroics in that theater of the war. If you ever get to a game at Navy-Marine Stadium in Annapolis, those battles are commemorated on the facades of the stadium

The biggest non-nuclear explosion of WWII occurred at Roi-Namur which is another island in the Kwajalein Atoll (the atoll and the island are both named Kwajalein). The battles for both of these islands apparently were extremely fierce. Japanese still come here to visit some of the burial places.

Wow! Do you work for the ACE? I would send you some insect collecting supplies but I doubt there is much in the way of the bugs I work on there.

I work under USACE direction a lot of the time. I am a construction contractor that specializes in austere, remote, and hostile locations. So, most of my work is for DoD although I have worked for a couple of foreign governments in the past.

Very few bugs here of any kind. No mosquitos which is nice.

"austere, remote, and hostile locations."

Whew! You dodged a bullet when you think about it--they could have sent you to Iowa City.

Send me a bucket of sand--please!!

Originally posted by GlideCat:
I work under USACE direction a lot of the time. I am a construction contractor that specializes in austere, remote, and hostile locations. So, most of my work is for DoD although I have worked for a couple of foreign governments in the past.

Are you simply the idiot who is willing to work in those locations or do these jobs require special know-how.

This coming from an idiot who chose to work in hot and humid swamps for 15 years.

Originally posted by docrugby1:
Sit down with your laptop tonight and take a break from winter by watching The Hyundai Open from Kapalua ,Maui on the Golf Channel. The scenery should warm a winter chill . Playing The Plantation Course is about as much fun as you can have on a golf course
Doc, I've played the Plantation Course and while it was a ton of fun and beautiful it could be pretty frustrating. Driver off the tee on par 3 and a straight par 4 where the tee shot was directly into the wind and the second shot was with a 30 mph tailwind. Crazy place!

Originally posted by Gladeskat:

Originally posted by GlideCat:

Are you simply the idiot who is willing to work in those locations or do these jobs require special know-how.

This coming from an idiot who chose to work in hot and humid swamps for 15 years.
Definitely a combination of both. I do not like traveling and being away from home. The fact that my career path has led me this way is a cruel twist of fate. The reason for my company to have the specialty is that profit margins are higher because of the limited number of idiots like me.

The special experience and knowledge part is primarily logistics but also adapting to multiple cultures and interpreting widely varying building and safety requirements.

I would not recommend my line of work. I have spent many years in some truly annoying places and missed most of my kids' childhood and early teen years (violins in the background). No Father-of-the-Year trophies in my trophy case.

Best Wife Ever, though! In addition to putting up with this for nearly 30 years, she loves football and watches games even when I am not around. She has adopted NU and Miss State (where my son goes) as her teams. For the Gator Bowl, she sewed an NU shirt together with an Miss State shirt and went half-and-half.

Originally posted by DocCatsFan:

Originally posted by docrugby1:
Doc, I've played the Plantation Course and while it was a ton of fun and beautiful it could be pretty frustrating. Driver off the tee on par 3 and a straight par 4 where the tee shot was directly into the wind and the second shot was with a 30 mph tailwind. Crazy place!
I've played The Plantation Course over 20 times. It is a course that local knowledge is very important. I could beat any player with a handicap equal to mine by 5-10 strokes the first time he played the course. The grain on the greens is so severe that putts will break with the grain uphill or a putt down grain will roll 20-30 feet past the pin. Playing the course with the prevailing trade winds is great fun but if there is a Kona wind-head for the bar. I have played many better golf courses but none are more enjoyable than The Plantation Club- you will likely hit your first 300 yard drive on #17 or 18 and possibly make a putt with a 20' break

"For the Gator Bowl, she sewed an NU shirt together with an Miss State shirt and went half-and-half."

I go to NU-Minnesota games with a friend who, when she cheers for Minnesota, makes me feel as though she is not paying attention. I should be more tolerant. You and your wife have figured out what I haven't. Recently, I met someone who has the front half of his hat as NU and the back half as Wisconsin. MRCat would know who that is. Probably wears the reverse at Wisconsin games.

OT: This got me thinking...

"Isn't that called polo?"

It could be, if I used a stick and a ball. Just grass and a horse, and I'm happy. I've always liked individual sports that use primarily the human body and some kind of apparatus (like a horse or skis). Although I do love games that require a stick and a ball, of which there are a surprising number. For me, though, the bigger the head on the stick the more I like playing the sport. I got to thinking about this because, while fun, the concept is kind of silly. There's tennis, racquetball, squash, cricket, baseball, golf, polo, hockey, field hockey, lacrosse, billiards, croquet, stick ball that I can think of--there must be more. None of these are individual sports, except golf, unless you consider that it is played in groups, by doctors.

There are fewer sports that use only a ball, like football, so perhaps these are more primitive (but not lacking in complexity and subtlety)?.

Then there's the very primitive sport generated by football, requiring only fingers and a part of a brain--trolling.

This post was edited on 1/12 1:41 PM by stpaulcat

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT