ADVERTISEMENT

With a solid OC this team is

Please show me Illinois record over that same period of time. I'd be willing to bet you your entire net worth that Fitz's record is better over that entire period of time. Football team's that play complementary football win games, not individual units. You can't separate the won and loss record from the other statistics.
I’m taking offensive statistics. Nothing else. They’re independent of one another.

That's not the question you should be asking. The questions you should be asking are can the "problem" be fixed without making any changes and, if we do make a change, what are the odds that we come up with a better outcome. I am not interested in firing someone to "punish" them for this season. That's what irrational, emotional fans want. I am interested in making a change only if that is the only way to fix the problem and only if I am very confident that I can find a better replacement.
How can the outcome be worse? I posted our offensive statistics earlier in the thread, which you seem to constantly ignore. We’re terrible and have won despite that. We would only better with a somewhat competent offense.

I’m taking offensive statistics. Nothing else. They’re independent of one another.

No they are not. That's my whole point. Complete football teams playing complementary football win games, not individual units.

How can the outcome be worse? I posted our offensive statistics earlier in the thread, which you seem to constantly ignore. We’re terrible and have won despite that. We would only better with a somewhat competent offense.

Once again, the goal is to win football games, not to be at the top of the statistics charts. Complete football teams playing complementary football win football games, not individual defensive or offensive units. Northwestern, with its current formula and complementary football schemes has won a lot of football games over the last several years. If you mess with that formula, you are putting that success at risk.

Repetition does not mean you are any more correct. We don’t do anything schematically to threaten defenses regardless of personnel.

I suggest you read your own post and take your own advice. Repetition does not mean you are any more correct than I am.

Once again, the goal is to win football games, not to be at the top of the statistics charts. Complete football teams playing complementary football win football games, not individual defensive or offensive units. Northwestern, with its current formula and complementary football schemes has won a lot of football games over the last several years. If you mess with that formula, you are putting that success at risk.
The goal is to win the B1G and NU hasn’t done that in awhile.

I think LSU 2019 is a prime example of what can happen when a team decides that scoring points helps win games. They brought in a passing game coordinator from Sean Payton’s offense and — poof — unstoppable.

very comparable to last year’s in terms of talent. But without a good OC we just lost confidence and our thin margin of error was exposed.

At first, you might be tempted to blame McCall for predictable, chicken-shit and afraid-to-pass play-calling and game-planning, but he is only doing what he's told to do by Fitz. THAT'S the guy to take the blame for this depressing, credibility-killing and momentum-killing disaster of a season. If Kyle Shanahan were OC, you'd see the same things.

Fitz seems totally dedicated to his staff, so McCall is here as long as he wants to be. Expect more of the same.

But everything works just fine when the NU OL can just push the DL around, as they did against Illinois. Haven't seen anything like it all season. Maybe Coach Anderson's teachings are finally starting to show up on the field.

One personal disappointment for this season for me was the absence of HJ. That's on McCall. No clue what McCall is doing to develop him, but it's not enough and we should have seen more of his passing. Starting with the Stanford game, HJ was not permitted to pass. There's the best arm NU has seen in a long time and he's running an offense that refuses to use his skills. He's only permitted to pass when it's desperate, which is when the opponents know it's desperate and they can take great advantage. And so the season went where it went. NU has no passing game so don't worry about it when you play them.

The only thing that matters is what Fitz thinks ....

I posted a response last night and then deleted, thinking it would be better to let events transpire first. Now that that has happened, I'll comment.

First, I love your reasoned logic in the face of a lot emotion, Corbi. That being said, the comment above is incorrect... Fitz may be the loudest (and ultimately most important) voice in the room, but he's not the only one. He reports to a boss who reports to a boss who reports to stakeholders. There was a lot of heat from those stakeholders most of the season.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I posted a response last night and then deleted, thinking it would be better to let events transpire first. Now that that has happened, I'll comment.

First, I love your reasoned logic in the face of a lot emotion, Corbi. That being said, the comment above is incorrect... Fitz may be the loudest (and ultimately most important) voice in the room, but he's not the only one. He reports to a boss who reports to a boss who reports to stakeholders. There was a lot of heat from those stakeholders most of the season.

Fair enough. You seem to have true insight in what was going on behind the scenes. I didn’t think there would be enough pressure from above over one bad season to force Fitz’s hand on the issue, especially considering how long Fitz was able to buy time for Cushing stock rise to the task. if the pressure did come from above, I truly hope they give Fitz the resources to make a great hire because this decision is very important to the future success of the program. It must be someone who is ideologically aligned with Fitz and whose system is compatible with the type of talent that NU is able to recruit. I’ll be anxiously awaiting the choice.

“Reasoned logic?”

Then why aren’t you calling for Fitzgerald to be fired?
If he had done nothing, I probably would have. He had to make a tough but necessary decision today.

Per CatQ, it’s ultimately a business and I have nothing personal against him. I wish McCall and his family all the best during what may be a difficult holiday season.

No kidding. And now he’s talking about how surprised he is that Fitz pulled the trigger. He’s the only one.

LOL, you are funny. There are plenty of people that saw things the same way I did on this topic. Including several on this board who spoke up only to get shouted down by the emotional masses. Whatever, ultimately none of our opinions mean squat. Fitz made the decision and I have always trusted he knows what he is doing.

The real question is who at NU are the haters going to bitch about next? There always has to be someone to complain about.

Last edited:
LOL, you are funny. There are plenty of people that saw things the same way I did on this topic. Including several on this board who spoke up only to get shouted down by the emotional masses. Whatever, ultimately none of our opinions mean squat. Fitz made the decision and I have always trusted he knows what he is doing.

The real question is who at NU are the haters going to bitch about next? There always has to be someone to complain about.
You’re such a hypocrite. Nobody shouts more on this board than you. You’re already shouting your self proclaimed expertise on who the replacement should be. You would think that your complete lack of awareness of the situation with McCall would cause you to tone it down a bit but you’re not capable of that.

I am surprised that Fitz whacked McCall today. The NU offense has way more problems than just the OC. I am very curious to see who is interested in a job when the roster is so short of guys who seem to be playmakers.

Reactions: Gladeskat

Ba hahahaha.

You’re such a hypocrite. Nobody shouts more on this board than you. You’re already shouting your self proclaimed expertise on who the replacement should be. You would think that your complete lack of awareness of the situation with McCall would cause you to tone it down a bit but you’re not capable of that.

It’s called having an opinion. That’s what we are all here for. I am not the first around here that expressed an opinion that turned out to be wrong and I won’t be the last. Unlike you, I am not arrogant enough to believe that the entire universe of NU fans agrees with my opinion. Somehow you seem to feel you have that sort of power.

I’ll repeat what I’ve said to you repeatedly, if you don’t like my opinions, don’t read them. Even better, put me on ignore and your problem will be solved.

Last edited:
It’s called having an opinion. That’s what we are all here for. Unlike you, I am not arrogant enough to believe that the entire universe of NU fans agrees with my opinion. Somehow you seem to feel you have that sort of power.

I’ll repeat what I’ve said to you repeatedly, if you don’t like my opinions, don’t read them. Even better, put me on ignore and your problem will be solved.

“I’m gonna take my ball and go home even though I was vociferously and demonstrably wrong.”

“I’m gonna take my ball and go home even though I was vociferously and demonstrably wrong.”

Hey putz, does it look like like I am going anywhere? You two clowns should coordinate your attacks a bit better.

I didn’t realize I was talking to someone who has expressed an opinion and never been wrong. Are you actually claiming that you’ve never been wrong about something that you’ve posted on this board.

Hey putz, does it look like like I am going anywhere? You two clowns should coordinate your attacks a bit better.

I didn’t realize I was talking to someone who has expressed an opinion and never been wrong. Are you actually claiming that you’ve never been wrong about something that you’ve posted on this board.

You’ve been saying for months now that Fitz wouldn’t make a change. You were sufficiently confident in your opinion to heckle others less than an hour before McCall was officially relieved of his duties.

If there were ever a time to just eat the humble pie, this would be the time.

Reactions: freewillie07
You’ve been saying for months now that Fitz wouldn’t make a change. You were sufficiently confident in your opinion to heckle others less than an hour before McCall was officially relieved of his duties.

humblepie-e1288647520854.png

It’s called having an opinion. That’s what we are all here for. I am not the first around here that expressed an opinion that turned out to be wrong and I won’t be the last. Unlike you, I am not arrogant enough to believe that the entire universe of NU fans agrees with my opinion. Somehow you seem to feel you have that sort of power.

Are you really that self unaware that you think your over the top shouting about the MCCall situation was just presented as your opinion? You continuously shouted down anyone who dared to say MCCall should be replaced even though the overwhelming majority thought a change was necessary.

You don’t present your opinion. You try to show your self proclaimed superiority. Of course it’s no surprise that your first reaction to McCall being fired is to go right into who you think should replace him instead of eating crow since you were 100% wrong about the situation for months.

Hey, no problem. I WAS WRONG and that’s not the first time i’ve uttered those words on these boards Unlike you, I am able to acknowledge when I get something wrong.

Are you really that self unaware that you think your over the top shouting about the MCCall situation was just presented as your opinion? You continuously shouted down anyone who dared to say MCCall should be replaced even though the overwhelming majority thought a change was necessary.

You don’t present your opinion. You try to show your self proclaimed superiority. Of course it’s no surprise that your first reaction to McCall being fired is to go right into who you think should replace him instead of eating crow since you were 100% wrong about the situation for months.

It’s an opinion. That’s all we’ve been talking about on this board all season so it’s an opinion that’s been repeated multiple times across multiple threads. Have you not done the same in expressing your contrary opinion?

I wonder if you would be so willing to acknowledge your opinion was misplaced if Fitz had not fired MCCall? Or Is it more likely that you would be cursing Fitz right now for being a complete idiot?

It’s an opinion. That’s all we’ve been talking about on this board all season so it’s an opinion that’s been repeated multiple times across multiple threads. Have you not done the same in expressing your contrary opinion?

I wonder if you would be so willing to acknowledge your opinion was misplaced if Fitz had not fired MCCall? Or Is it more likely that you would be cursing Fitz right now for being a complete idiot?
The difference is I never presented my opinion as if I had any idea of what Fitz was going to do. You, on the other hand, presented your opinion as if you were absolutely sure McCall was not being replaced and you reprimanded the “masses” who dared to disagree with you. It’s almost as if you seek a fight and then when you lose you seek out the next fight.

It’s an opinion. Delivered with maximum certainty and an air of arrogance. That turned out to be completely incorrect.

Enough of this back and forth. McCall is no longer the OC and we need an innovative coordinator. I imagine a lot of true freshmen are going to play next year and I would go for a grad transfer QB. A new OC and good chance to start and throwing to some of our young wide receivers and improved OL. Would not be surprised to see the WR from Michigan as a true freshman

It’s an opinion. Delivered with maximum certainty and an air of arrogance. That turned out to be completely incorrect.

Christ sake. Dude was wrong and admitted he was wrong. Not sure why this needs to keep going? While the sentiment was misguided, at least there was some discussion and not just the jackass echo chamber this board has become.

Very true. Plus many former players whom Fitz respects, including a certain "decent" RB and QB we've had the last few years.

Christ sake. Dude was wrong and admitted he was wrong. Not sure why this needs to keep going? While the sentiment was misguided, at least there was some discussion and not just the jackass echo chamber this board has become.

“Misguided?” How about “flat ass wrong and told everyone off who disagreed only to be embarrassed?”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT