ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Case Scenario

BleedingPurple15

Oct 3, 2017
New York, NY
Question for the forum: How catastrophic for the Big Ten do you think it would be if the SEC, Big 12 and ACC successfully played the fall season with minimal disruptions (i.e. teams are generally successful in keeping their players and staff COVID-free, etc.)? What do you think the ramifications would be and how long do you think it lasts?

Good for those playing. If they have too many issues, winter/spring football isn't likely.

The 10 game slate for B1G wasn't prudent. The plans for winter 2021 will be interesting and right in the middle of the flu season.

Good Luck!

I think the worst case scenario is that some SEC or ACC player dies from this thing and the program finishes the season.

Like every decision, the Big Ten’s will increase their esteem with some, and decrease it with others.

Probably not that bad because that would mean that the B1G could have a shortened spring football season.

Question for the forum: How catastrophic for the Big Ten do you think it would be if the SEC, Big 12 and ACC successfully played the fall season with minimal disruptions (i.e. teams are generally successful in keeping their players and staff COVID-free, etc.)? What do you think the ramifications would be and how long do you think it lasts?

If the other conferences play successfully, B1G and Pac play in the spring (probably abbreviated) and then play next fall (probably abbreviated). An oddity for one year, but no big harm done?

If that’s your idea of a worst case scenario this year, we’re all going to be just fine.

The lack of unified decision makes it a cluster. Somewhat torn here, I certainly don’t wish an outbreak on any team/person but believe if the season is pulled off it will absolutely harm the perception of the conference in the eyes of future recruits. Nebraska’s own players have sued the conference and many AD’s/HC’s aren’t exactly endorsed the decision. Playing in Spring feels like warm up games for 2012 in which the B1G would be at a significant disadvantage for the fall 2021 season versus other conferences.

The decision not to play was based on medical and scientific evidence. That 3 conferences choose to play is their decision. However, like amy well planned game or fight, once to first punch is thrown, all plans are revised. It's okay for the professionals to be in a bubble and play in that bubble. However, college students are not professionals, they are students. they have classes,, they mingle, they have parties (don't tell me they will all be choirboys) so the risk of spread is real. Because nearly half of all spread is via asymptomatic people, the presence of symptoms can't be a guide. If these athletes (sorry, STUDENT athletes) are tested every day to insure their safety, how about the rest of the campus getting the same care? But to answer the question, what would be the worst result or catastrophe? If players came down with the COVID with lethal results. If they fulfill the season successfully, good for them. Playing a spring season and then a fall season would be catastrophic because there would be no time to heal and then practice in preparation for the next season.
But to paraphrase a prior comment, there are too many other important issues in play than to worry about the catastrophe of a successful football season for other conferences.

Reactions: Fitz51 and willycat
I don't think it will hurt the conference at all. It may actually benefit the two conferences once this pandemic has died out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT