ADVERTISEMENT

WR indictment

IGNORE2

Mar 12, 2005
Duke third string MASH Corp DBs owned our receiving crew. Can we all agree we have a receiving problem and move on to the cause? Recruits? Coach? OC?

Reactions: nycat33
Duke third string MASH Corp DBs owned our receiving crew. Can we all agree we have a receiving problem and move on to the cause? Recruits? Coach? OC?

All of the above, with most of the blame on the latter two - since part of the JD is recruiting and development. The OC needs to find a way to open space up and make the defense pay for the way they are playing. He didn't. We kept doing the same thing and kept failing. The announcers were talking about it the whole time, the big difference in the game. If their corners can play us on an island, their D sells out on the run, sends the house, and shuts us down there. We end up in 2nd and long and 3rd and less than short, and we can't do our thing. Our OL had problems, but the inability for our WRs to separate and make plays didn't help them because it enabled Duke to play this way. Had to make more plays downfield in order to open things up. Kind of like why our Colter led offense was a lot less effective than people remember. No threat downfield, and people can stack up and stop you in the between the markers or send the house to get to the QB.

Duke had a first team AA back there. Both he and the QB are hurt

First team All-ACC. AA a bit of a stretch, but then I guess you put him on Jordan Ash honorifics.

Dude hurt his leg I think early in the 3rd quarter. We still couldn't do anything against their back ups. Pathetic.

All of the above, with most of the blame on the latter two - since part of the JD is recruiting and development. The OC needs to find a way to open space up and make the defense pay for the way they are playing. He didn't. We kept doing the same thing and kept failing. The announcers were talking about it the whole time, the big difference in the game. If their corners can play us on an island, their D sells out on the run, sends the house, and shuts us down there. We end up in 2nd and long and 3rd and less than short, and we can't do our thing. Our OL had problems, but the inability for our WRs to separate and make plays didn't help them because it enabled Duke to play this way. Had to make more plays downfield in order to open things up. Kind of like why our Colter led offense was a lot less effective than people remember. No threat downfield, and people can stack up and stop you in the between the markers or send the house to get to the QB.
So what are these magical plays that McCall should have been calling to give WRs more space against a single man in coverage “on an island” downfield?

Sorry, but you can't expect this offense to operate at a high level when enduring this necessary QB switching between and potential pro candidate and a hard working walk on. It effects he whole team too. Even back when we had a two QB system people said, "When you have two QB's, you have no QB's." In those days it was a choice between two QB's very different but excellent skill sets. The motivation behind the two QB system is very different now. It is a bandage on a wounded offense rather than a strategy of varied weapons.
Until CT is back full time we will see poor timing, indecisive play on the offense and lack of confidence on the whole team. It is what it is, and since we should care more about CT's recovery than winning every game it is as it should be.

Sorry, but you can't expect this offense to operate at a high level when enduring this necessary QB switching between and potential pro candidate and a hard working walk on. It effects he whole team too. Even back when we had a two QB system people said, "When you have two QB's, you have no QB's." In those days it was a choice between two QB's very different but excellent skill sets. The motivation behind the two QB system is very different now. It is a bandage on a wounded offense rather than a strategy of varied weapons.
Until CT is back full time we will see poor timing, indecisive play on the offense and lack of confidence on the whole team. It is what it is, and since we should care more about CT's recovery than winning every game it is as it should be.

Alabama and Clemson seem to do just fine switching between QBs without the poor timing, indecisive play on the offense, and lack of confidence on their teams. I get what you're saying, but the OL isn't magically going to be better if we have 1 QB and neither will the WRs all of sudden more speedy and learn how to run routes or separate because of it.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Alabama and Clemson seem to do just fine switching between QBs without the poor timing, indecisive play on the offense, and lack of confidence on their teams. I get what you're saying, but the OL isn't magically going to be better if we have 1 QB and neither will the WRs all of sudden more speedy and learn how to run routes or separate because of it.
You are correct in that NU is not Alabama or Clemson but I think confidence and timing are important elements when you don't have superior talent.

So what are these magical plays that McCall should have been calling to give WRs more space against a single man in coverage “on an island” downfield?
Did you watch the MSU game? Halfback pass. W-R pass. Might want to try a reverse or hey lets run the Wishbone with Larkin, Moten and Vault? Also why is Thorson in the game when NU runs the wildcat formation? They are not going to throw to him and he doesn't block anyone. It's like NU is playing 10 guys against the opposition 11.

Did you watch the MSU game? Halfback pass. W-R pass. Might want to try a reverse or hey lets run the Wishbone with Larkin, Moten and Vault? Also why is Thorson in the game when NU runs the wildcat formation? They are not going to throw to him and he doesn't block anyone. It's like NU is playing 10 guys against the opposition 11.
I was wondering if Green could run the option. CT does not seem natural at that.

Who was the last NFL-caliber WR we had before Austin Carr? Bates?

Except the defense is forced to dedicate a CB to Thorson and can’t adjust their personnel if we don’t sub.

You gotta be coached to learn that stuff.
How did we get 2 walkons and 2 converted QBs to be our best WRs and practically all conference level in the last several years? Sheer latent route running ability? Honest question, not trying to argue a side.

Gotta run better routes designed to shake man D. Where were the come back routes, rub routes, back shoulder throws, etc?

The entire concept of crossers is to beat man coverage. Crossers is almost all we’ve run this year.

I think we should throw more outs from the far hash mark-nothing like a 40 yard throw to gain 3-5 yards. How could anything bad happen on a route like that ?

Last edited:
I think we should throw more outs from the far hash mark-nothing like a 40 yard throw to gain 3-5 yards
I’ve hated the short out route as long for as I’ve watched football. It’s an invitation for disaster with minimal upside, just like McCall’s stupid speed option (that he ran again with Green yesterday... for a loss).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT