ADVERTISEMENT

Yikes - Newsome robbed at gunpoint

I’m a Cleveland kid, and we used to say that you have to be tough to live in Cleveland - that is why many of us left.

Unfortunately many places in Ohio have become more dangerous with the economic and social decline and increase in crime. My hometown Lima in NW Ohio is typical of what has happened when the industrial base leaves along with those that can afford to get out. Those residents left behind turn to drugs and crime.

Unfortunately many places in Ohio have become more dangerous with the economic and social decline and increase in crime. My hometown Lima in NW Ohio is typical of what has happened when the industrial base leaves along with those that can afford to get out. Those residents left behind turn to drugs and crime.
Didn't know you were from Lima! I'm from right across the state line in Fort Fun. Good times. :>)

Yes, I’m a “Lima Loser” (term from “Glee”).
Fort Fun = Fort Wayne I assume.

Yes I returned to Lima for my 20 year HS reunion with Lima Senior in 1991. My family relocated to San Diego (Pacific Beach) while I was still at NU. I was already going to SoCal and the Bay Area during breaks anyway. My brother had been stationed as a Navy officer in Long Beach and Lemoore in NorCal around the same time. Our family was fortunate to have relocated to SoCal when we did as Lima continue to slide downhill. It was quite a shock to see the decline back in 1991, and the decline has continued with the loss of good-paying manufacturing jobs. As the sheriff said in “No Country For Old Men”, “It’s the tide. It’s the dismal tide.” It seemed once the decline set in it could not be stopped as those who could fled
town. I had a great conversation about Lima’s decline with Randy Walker’s brother years ago at the NU-Nevada game in Reno. He was actually principal at Lima Senior HS decades after I had graduated. He filled me in on his perspective about Lima’s decline. “Glee” was another SoCal version of industrial downturn of small Midwestern towns and the social and economic consequences.

Reactions: Hkjb
Didn't know you were from Lima! I'm from right across the state line in Fort Fun. Good times. :>)
Ohh I'm from Fort Wayne too - but I had no idea it was fun. Are you a person I know who played the trumpet and went to NU's law school?

Reactions: hoosboot
Ohh I'm from Fort Wayne too - but I had no idea it was fun. Are you a person I know who played the trumpet and went to NU's law school?
I liked your post because I love Fort Wayne connections, but I didn't play trumpet and never went to law school. But long live The Fort!

Reactions: Hkjb
Anyone from VanWert? :>)
I know most of the small towns of northwestern Ohio somewhat- as a young cyclist I rode my bike all over with the local Lima AYH (American Youth Hostels) bike club. I also worked in my dad’s service company growing up and that was another way I got to know some of the rural towns surrounding Lima. I think towns like Findlay and Van Wert have fared better than Lima as the industrial decline impacted social and economic viability across the Midwest. Lima has just suffered a lot more I think with some of the highest crime and unemployment numbers per capital in Ohio. In retirement I hope to study this more with my connections with the Urban Studies & Planning program at UC San Diego which I’ve been a supporter over the years.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoosboot
You really don’t want to see the price of the new Ferrari SUV…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT