ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread for SIU vs. Northwestern

While I hope we still comeback to win, I don’t think it matters in the grand scheme because we’re not going to be competitive in the conference. This is not like the year we lost to Illinois St. We had Thorson and JJTBC, and we had a Hank defense. Even if we come back in this game, are we going to win 4 more to get to a bowl?

While I hope we still comeback to win, I don’t think it matters in the grand scheme because we’re not going to be competitive in the conference. This is not like the year we lost to Illinois St. We had Thorson and JJTBC, and we had a Hank defense. Even if we come back in this game, are we going to win 4 more to get to a bowl?
No

Would it be worse to lose in overtime, or to lose going for two?

(this is a hypothetical, and I doubt NU will score.)

We also had Carr emerge later in the year - who was a big part of the reason we got to 6 wins.

I just don’t get it? 200 million new facilities? 8 million for Fitz! And this looks like solid division two football 🏈! Am I missing something? Or are Fitz and the players just robbing the fans? Our defensive backs lost this one! Totally out of position all day! That is on the defensive coordinator who is likely making 700,000 a year for what Hank was doing in his sleep!

This is worse than the Dark Ages because there was no hope to begin with in those years.

You watch a game like this and you think well at least now something drastic will happen in the program to make things better, but then you realize oh probably not!

I kick long here and try to get the ball back with a minute and zero timeouts.

Congratulations to Southern Illinois ,Remember 3 weeks ago when the wildcat faithful were drooling over an undefeated match up in happy valley now it's probably an ass kicking for the ages.

That was the worst defeat I have seen since “1983”! Epic fail! All the money 💰 spent on this product when SIU produced the same, or better product.

Reactions: Rodenthater
Congratulations to Southern Illinois ,Remember 3 weeks ago when the wildcat faithful were drooling over an undefeated match up in happy valley now it's probably an ass kicking for the ages.
Definitely gotta congratulate the Salukis.

As bad a loss as this for NU, good for SIU. They wanted it more from the opening snap.

Reactions: drewjin
This game is a big red flag the program is in serious trouble. They looked bad on both sides of the ball but the number of offensive turnovers took them out of the game. Great energy from SIU and their coaches. They deserved the win. The program is regressing as the season progresses. Hard to see after this game how the team can be competitive against some of the better BT teams they will be facing.

What in the actual F! What has happened to this program? I am a fan, and I don't need Northwestern to be great, but come on.

The story of this game is our defense. Not Hilinski. We gave up 31 points to the southern Illinois
Plenty of blame to go around. Who played well? Hull, MOSTLY until he fumbled. Nobody else based on my one and only ever viewing of this game. Defense was terrible, but then again we gave the ball away 4 times and gave them no help whatsoever.

But at this point it seems clear that Pat Fitzgerald just doesn't seem to care much about early non conference games. The kids deserve better than that. Every week, every game matters. None of this hiding your play calling et cetera so that it is fresh for the Big Ten.

I am an NU optimist. But this is completely inexcusable. We have known it's been a pattern for years. And it's taken me a long time to come to this conclusion. That Pat Fitzgerald simply does not put everything into every game.

The same ugly flaws we saw in the Nebby and Dook games surfaced again.

Difference w/ the just barely Nebby win was that Nebby has bad coaching as well.

And, did it really matter that Fitz cared more about winning conference games last season (w/ the only win coming against a bad RU team)?

This team has enormous structural defects, starting w/ the coaching staff.

Nope. The difference in the Nebraska game is that we dominated the last 21 minutes. Line. Running backs. Secondary. To credit our win to bad coaching is ludicrous.

Nope. The difference in the Nebraska game is that we dominated the last 21 minutes. Line. Running backs. Secondary. To credit our win to bad coaching is ludicrous.

Frost never adjusted to the adjustments Fitz made, and there was the little thing of the fake kick.

Yes, well aware that the O-line and run game imposed thir will for the last 21 minutes (tho, did give the ball back with plenty of time on the clock for a winning drive), but so many things had to break on the side of the Cats to eek out a W at the end.

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT