ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern publishes report by Loretta Lynch on culture of athletics

Of course their are athlete cliques. This is who you spend the majority of your time with. These are people you have a common/experience with. Been this way forever and always will be. People turning in their fan card for this should have done it 50 years ago.
That’s ridiculous. I think it’s fair for people to say they don’t enjoy the new free agency rules of college and the overall sentiment that players are “for hire” for a season at a time. The growth of players on the team over 3-4 years is something many people used to enjoy about college. It’s very rare now.

Regarding NU, you’re foolish if you don’t think we’ve historically tried to put ourselves at a higher standard regarding our student athletes. We’ve done that for decades…always lifting our noses and scoffing at the OSUs and other B16 teams as our athletes were consistently stacked on the all-academic teams.

There is generally very little intermixing between athletes and other students, especially for football and basketball but in non revenue sports as well. And I say this as someone who had friends who were student athletes in revenue and non revenue sports. I don’t think it’s anything nefarious, just has to do with the group of people you’re around. NU has well-defined cliques. “Athlete” is one.
Of course their are athlete cliques. This is who you spend the majority of your time with. These are people you have a common/experience with. Been this way forever and always will be. People turning in their fan card for this should have done it 50 years ago.

Deja Vu? Utah State fires football coach

I wonder how much the ideological context of the two universities played in how they handled the issues they faced. USU is a state school in Utah. I expect there not to be the same attitudes with respect to the football program as those lurking at NU. Schill seemed to get rolled by his faculty.

That’s besides the point. Both USU and NU ended up firing their coaches, but USU did the basic HR “blocking and tackling” correctly so they don’t have the same massive liability as NU.

BREAKING: NU lands three-star Ohio TE Tyler Kielmeyer

Hinton was always a tackle. I think you are remembering Trai Essex.

Hinton was not always a tackle. He played three seasons as a tight end and only moved to OT his senior year. It was one of the reasons we ended the losing streak because the coaches figure out that maybe it would be better to have him in a position where he can block for running backs on every play. It did not hurt that he had a hard time catching the ball on passes as a tight end. Today it would seem crazy to select a guy who only played the position one year as the fourth pick in the draft. Most teams never scouted NU so it was only when he played in the senior bowl that he moved from a potential mid round prospect to the best lineman in the draft. Everyone remembers he was traded for Elway, but people forget that he was selected fourth after Elway, Eric Dickerson, and Curt Warner. Denver fans celebrated that they got him. Of course they celebrated more when he was traded for Elway who refused to play for Baltimore. The trade was so bad that the Colts had to leave Baltimore and took their whole team to Indianapolis (ok, it was the not the reason they switched cities but it was really a terrible trade).

I think you're overstating it.
Obviously, you are closer to the truth when the team is in the middle of its season, but even then, I still think you're overstating it.
Especially for non-revenue athletes.
There is generally very little intermixing between athletes and other students, especially for football and basketball but in non revenue sports as well. And I say this as someone who had friends who were student athletes in revenue and non revenue sports. I don’t think it’s anything nefarious, just has to do with the group of people you’re around. NU has well-defined cliques. “Athlete” is one.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT