ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Wildcats

The point is how successful, and for how long, would the other coaches be? Fitz is unique because of his success as a player, his uncurbed enthusiasm for the university as an alum, and his success as coach for the past 11 years.
12 years. :D

Fitz isn't the only coach that can succeed at NU (I mean c'mon, we're a top academic institution with a $10 billion endowment and a wealthy alumni base right outside Chicago - at some point, that stuff matters in a general sense), but he's probably the best possible coach for us because of how well he fits as the head of the program here.

The boosters love him, the fans/alums forgive a bad season or two or other mistakes, and he provides long-term stability in terms of not needing to worry about him leaving. All that stuff matters given how college football works.

There's no reason why Fitz can't end up as a coach with 200+ wins here in a long-term time frame with a lot of bowl wins and the rest.

Will expectations go up? Sure they will after the new facility is finished and in 6-8 years after the stadium is renovated as well.

But at the same time, the program has never been on better footing. And that's before any of the new facilities are built...

Fitz isn't the only coach that can succeed at NU (I mean c'mon, we're a top academic institution with a $10 billion endowment and a wealthy alumni base right outside Chicago - at some point, that stuff matters in a general sense), but he's probably the best possible coach for us because of how well he fits as the head of the program here.

The boosters love him, the fans/alums forgive a bad season or two or other mistakes, and he provides long-term stability in terms of not needing to worry about him leaving. All that stuff matters given how college football works.

There's no reason why Fitz can't end up as a coach with 200+ wins here in a long-term time frame with a lot of bowl wins and the rest.

Will expectations go up? Sure they will after the new facility is finished and in 6-8 years after the stadium is renovated as well.

But at the same time, the program has never been on better footing. And that's before any of the new facilities are built...

I just hope he starts winning some of them damned championships that he promised.

As far as the 2018 team goes, the schedule is a bear. Assuming we start the season ranked somewhere around #22, those early games will be extremely important for keeping us ranked through stretches of the season. Hopefully, we'll get a big national statement win against Michigan or Notre Dame even if we end up taking a step back in record due to the overall difficulty of schedule.

On the plus side, as long as we go bowling, we should end up in a bowl where we're favored again. A 3rd consecutive bowl win would be huge.

I just hope he starts winning some of them damned championships that he promised.
I think we'll eventually win some divisional championships at least and appear in a NY6 bowl under Fitz, but those things are probably still a few years away.

For now, winning bowls and getting into the top 25 is important to keeping us on the upward track for recruiting.

As far as the 2018 team goes, the schedule is a bear. Assuming we start the season ranked somewhere around #22, those early games will be extremely important for keeping us ranked through stretches of the season. Hopefully, we'll get a big national statement win against Michigan or Notre Dame even if we end up taking a step back in record due to the overall difficulty of schedule.

On the plus side, as long as we go bowling, we should end up in a bowl where we're favored again. A 3rd consecutive bowl win would be huge.

I think we'll eventually win some divisional championships at least and appear in a NY6 bowl under Fitz, but those things are probably still a few years away.

For now, winning bowls and getting into the top 25 is important to keeping us on the upward track for recruiting.

Depending on if Thorson can play the majority of the schedule, I think we have a realistic chance at a B1G championship next season. We will face some strong teams, beginning with Purdue from game 1, but I'm not worried. I doubt the coaches will mess with the OL much. The line is returning 4/5 starters, having to replace North at center. Between Thomas, Urban, or Gerak, I'm confident we can find a solid replacement. We are in good shape in all the other positions, with QB being the biggest question mark at this point.

Reactions: zeek55
Depending on if Thorson can play the majority of the schedule, I think we have a realistic chance at a B1G championship next season. We will face some strong teams, beginning with Purdue from game 1, but I'm not worried. I doubt the coaches will mess with the OL much. The line is returning 4/5 starters, having to replace North at center. Between Thomas, Urban, or Gerak, I'm confident we can find a solid replacement. We are in good shape in all the other positions, with QB being the biggest question mark at this point.
The OLine was adequate by the latter part of this year. I hope they do mess with the OLine, certain aspects of it at least. We are not a championship level team with the current OLine.

Jango after doing Coach Hooten workout
I pity the fool (who tries to run on Jango).

Reactions: CatsDad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT