ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Holiday Bowl

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA
Just saw the Holiday Bowl battle of the bands on tv between USC and Louisville in the Gaslamp Quarter downtown San Diego. The Holiday Bowl is now played at Petco Park. The Padres spent around $2M to reconfigure the ballpark to host the event. I’m bringing this up for a couple of reasons. The new venue downtown in the Gaslamp Quarter at Petco is a much better experience than the old Qualcomm Stadium in our game there in 2018. Downtown hotels and even staying in Coronado will be a better tourist experience than staying in Mission Valley.

With the demise of the PAC12 it is likely that the BigTen will return as the replacement for the PAC12 participant slot. I’m hoping the Cats will return to this bowl game at this new improved venue. And no, I don’t want to see a rematch with Utah! 😂
(Based on what I observed on tv tonight, a rematch with USC would be fun!)

Last edited:
I enjoyed the Gaslamp and Petco for both baseball and rugby. Stayed in Carlsbad and took the "Coaster" to San Diego. I would agree that The Holiday Bowl would be an attractive venue. I always enjoyed dining in L'il Italy also.

I enjoyed the Gaslamp and Petco for both baseball and rugby. Stayed in Carlsbad and took the "Coaster" to San Diego. I would agree that The Holiday Bowl would be an attractive venue. I always enjoyed dining in L'il Italy also.
Doc- Rugby has become a very popular sport in San Diego now represented by the pro team San Diego Legion. The Holiday Bowl this year was a high-scoring exciting game that featured USC’s qb Moss setting records with 6 passing td’s. The surrounding Gaslamp Quarter was a popular area for fans attending the game. I think it makes a lot of sense for the BigTen to return as a participant with the demise of the PAC12 and the end of that conference’s participation. The new venue at Petco Park is a high quality bowl game for fans to enjoy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT