ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten and Schedules for the second half

KenPom too...

Also -
It’s interesting to look at RPI, which was mostly hated by everyone except the committee. NU is 195 :(

Rutgers 146 and Illinois 174.

Yeah, that's why they don't use it anymore, An absolute dumpster fire.

You are right, RPI sucks. but the blind squirrel finds the nut sometimes. It got the order correct for these 3 teams.

Let's test that theory! Records vs. all quads to date (still subject to change)

Illinois: Quad 1 3-11, Quad 2 3-7, Quad 3, 3-3, Quad 4 3-0
Rutgers: Quad 1, 2-11, Quad 2 6-4, Quad 3 1-1, Quad 4 5-1
Us: Quad 1 0-11, Quad 2 3-6, Quad 3 4-2, Quad 4 6-0

Looks like three teams that are very close to one another (as is the case with the NET and KenPom, as opposed to RPI, which have these teams quite a distance apart).

Now, the Illini could make the case as being the best of these three with their 3 Quad 1 wins, which is the best record of the 3, but their Quad 2 and Quad 3 records are actually worse than ours (even 2/3/4 combined is under .500, by far the worst of the group), which I guess is why they are lower than us in NET,.

Rutgers had the best Quad 2 record, by far, so I think that they can actually make a claim of being better than us than Illinois since their Quad 1 record is only slightly worse than the Illini. But they had the only Quad 4 loss of the group (a brutal loss at Fordham), and their Quad 3 record was worse than ours, which is why they were likely ranked behind us in the NET as well.

Now the eye test? Yes we were the worst, imo. But nowhere near what the RPI portrays, which is why RPI is a joke. KenPom and the NET bunch these teams up; reasonable people can thus disagree as to the precise order, imo

Let's test that theory! Records vs. all quads to date (still subject to change)

Illinois: Quad 1 3-11, Quad 2 3-7, Quad 3, 3-3, Quad 4 3-0
Rutgers: Quad 1, 2-11, Quad 2 6-4, Quad 3 1-1, Quad 4 5-1
Us: Quad 1 0-11, Quad 2 3-6, Quad 3 4-2, Quad 4 6-0

Looks like three teams that are very close to one another (as is the case with the NET and KenPom, as opposed to RPI, which have these teams quite a distance apart).

Now, the Illini could make the case as being the best of these three with their 3 Quad 1 wins, which is the best record of the 3, but their Quad 2 and Quad 3 records are actually worse than ours (even 2/3/4 combined is under .500, by far the worst of the group), which I guess is why they are lower than us in NET,.

Rutgers had the best Quad 2 record, by far, so I think that they can actually make a claim of being better than us than Illinois since their Quad 1 record is only slightly worse than the Illini. But they had the only Quad 4 loss of the group (a brutal loss at Fordham), and their Quad 3 record was worse than ours, which is why they were likely ranked behind us in the NET as well.

Now the eye test? Yes we were the worst, imo. But nowhere near what the RPI portrays, which is why RPI is a joke. KenPom and the NET bunch these teams up; reasonable people can thus disagree as to the precise order, imo
You are what your record says you are. NU won the fewest B1G games. NU was the worst B1G team this year.

Stats are for losers, right?

You are what your record says you are. NU won the fewest B1G games. NU was the worst B1G team this year.

Stats are for losers, right?
Wrong stat. Total overall record. No one is going to remember Illini's conference record years from now, only that they were the first 21 loss season in 114 years oc the program (unless, of course, they lose even more games in a season kn the future...)

Wrong stat. Total overall record. No one is going to remember Illini's conference record years from now, only that they were the first 21 loss season in 114 years oc the program (unless, of course, they lose even more games in a season kn the future...)
How should OOC records be compared when they play different opponents, some harder and some not so tough? Illinois played Georgetown, Gonzaga, Iowa State, Notre Dame, Xavier and Missouri from Major conferences....NU played just Georgia Tech, Utah, Oklahoma and DePaul. Which schedule was harder?

And I could care less what Illinois' overall record is. I only worry about NU's and where NU finishes in conference. Last place is just SAD. And the last NU coach who finished 13-19 was fired.....

Reactions: NUCat320
I will remember losing 2 out of 3 to them including in the BT tourney.

Reactions: NJCat
I will remember losing 2 out of 3 to them including in the BT tourney.

And I'll remember nearly embarassing them in the BTT when we played without our best player and thus should have been blown out. Then I will remember then being boatraced by Iowa when we no doubt would have given Iowa a better game if Vic were able to play. To each his own, I guess...

How should OOC records be compared when they play different opponents, some harder and some not so tough? Illinois played Georgetown, Gonzaga, Iowa State, Notre Dame, Xavier and Missouri from Major conferences....NU played just Georgia Tech, Utah, Oklahoma and DePaul. Which schedule was harder?

And I could care less what Illinois' overall record is. I only worry about NU's and where NU finishes in conference. Last place is just SAD. And the last NU coach who finished 13-19 was fired.....

Uh Illinois lost to all those teams you mentioned, while we beat three of the four you mentioned. , And most of them were not great; Notre Dame ranked below all four of the teams that you mentioned that we played except Ga. Tech, who we beat.. Georgetown was meh (#82) and so was Missouri (#77) and Xavier (#67). And Illinois also lost at home to Florida Atlantic #150 in the NET rankings a low Quad 3 loss. We did not come close to losing to any team of that NET ranking or below. So the schedule thing cuts both ways; there is a reason why Illinois NET ranking was below ours.

Whether you could care less about what Illinois record is, the national narrative is that our record will be forgotten by next year, yet the Illini's will be remembered for many years (unless it is eclipsed) as the losingest season in the 114-year history of the program. And remember, they had a completely healthy team all year, they only lost one guy for a stretch of the season, and it was due to him getting caught smoking pot-- twice!

And for that last comment-- I can't even-- are you seriously recommending that CC be fired?

Well, the big change from yesterday is that the fat lady has sung for Indiana wiht Oregon's win in a terrible Pac-12 champioship game where it appeared that Washington was tanking on purpose so that the worst Power-5 conference in recent years would get 3 bids. I really hope it backfires and that Arizona St. or even Washington (and preferably both) get excluded in favor of Belmont. or Indiana, (NC State is also in the discussion but they had one of the worst noncon schedules in the contrary, so I don't feel badly about their situation), but the current matrices indicated that won't happen. So on to the NIT for Indiana most likely.

Not otther changes except Rutgers is back to a Quad 4 win for Indiana in the BTT (this has been teetering back and forth)

Through games of Saturday, March 14th (NOTE: All BTT times Eastern); NET rankings through games of Friday, March 13th

Michigan St: NET ranking 8 (no change) 27-6, 16-4 BIG 2-0 BTT:
BIG:10 Road (7-3),10 Home (9-1), Quad 1:9-2, Quad 2 4-2, Quad 3, 2-0, Quad 4, 0-0
BTT Record: 2-0: 1-0 Quad 1, 1-0 Quad 2
Next Game: BTT, 3/16 3:30 P.M vs. Michigan as the #1 Seed (Quad 1 game)
Michigan: NET ranking 9 (no change) 28-5, 15-5 BIG 2-0 BTT:
BIG 10 Road (6-4),10 Home (9-1), Quad 1:7-5, Quad 2 7-0, Quad 3, 1-0, Quad 4, 0-0
BTT Record: 2-0: 2-0 Quad 2
Next Game: BTT, 3/16 3:30 PM vs. Iowa as the #3 Seed (Quad 1 game)
Purdue: NET ranking 12 (no change), 23-9, 16-4 BIG 0-1 BTT:
BIG 10 Road (6-4),10 Home (10-0),Quad 1:7-4, Quad 2 7-0, Quad 3, 2-0, Quad 4,0-0
BTT Record: 0-1 Quad 2, REGULAR SEASON COMPLETE
Wisconsin: NET ranking 17 (no change), 22-10, 14-6 BIG 1-1 BTT:
BIG:10 Road (7-3),10 Home (7-3), Quad 1:7-5, Quad 2 4-1, Quad 3, 3-0, Quad 4, 0-0
BTT Record: 1-1 1-1 Quad 1 REGULAR SEASON COMPLETE
Maryland: NET ranking 27 (no change), 22-10, 13-7 BIG 0-1 BTT:
BIG:10 Road (5-5),10 Home (8-2), Quad 1:6-6, Quad 2 6-0, Quad 3, 1-1, Quad 4, 0-0
BTT Record: 0-1 Quad 1 REGULAR SEASON COMPLETE
Iowa: NET ranking 43 (+1 change), 22-11, 10-10 BIG 1-1 BTT:
BIG:10 Road (4-6),10 Home (6-4), Quad 1:3-9, Quad 2 5-0, Quad 3, 2-1, Quad 4, 0-0
BTT Record: 1-1 0-1 Quad 1, 1-0 Quad 3 REGULAR SEASON COMPLETE
Nebraska: NET ranking 48 (no change), 18-16, 6-14 BIG, 2-1 BTT:
BIG:10 Road (1-9),10 Home (5-5), Quad 1:1-11, Quad 2 3-3, Quad 3, 2-0,Quad 4,0-0
BTT Record: 2-0, 1-1 Quad 1, 1-0 Quad 2 REGULAR SEASON COMPLETE
Penn St.: NET ranking 50 (-1 change), 14-18, 7-13 BIG, 0-1 BTT:
BIG:10 Road (3-7),10 Home (4-6), Quad 1:2-10, Quad 2 4-2, Quad 3, 1-1,Quad 4,0-0
BTT Record: 0-1 Quad 2 SEASON COMPLETE
Indiana : NET ranking 54 (-1 change), 17-15, 8-12 BIG, 0-1 BTT:
BIG:10 Road (3-7),10 Home (5-5), Quad 1:3-7, Quad 2 2-5, Quad 3, 3-0, Quad 4, 0-0
BTT Record: 0-1 Quad 2 REGULAR SEASON COMPLETE
Ohio St. NET ranking 55 (no change), 19-14, 8-12 BIG 1-1 BTT:
BIG:10 Road (3-7), 10 Home (5-5), Quad 1:2-9, Quad 2 3-2, Quad 3, 3-1,Quad 4, 0-0
BTT Record 1-1 Quad 1 0-1, Quad 2 1-0 REGULAR SEASON COMPLETE
Minnesota: NET ranking 61 (-4 change), 20-13, 9-11 BIG, 2-1 BTT:
BIG:10 Road (2-8), 10 Home (7-3), Quad 1:2-9, Quad 2 5-2, Quad 3, 2-0, Quad 4,0-0
BTT Record: 2-1, 1-1 Quad 1, 1-0 Quad 2 REGULAR SEASON COMPLETE
Northwestern : NET ranking 89 (-1 change), 13-19, 4-16 BIG 0-1 BTT:
BIG:10 Road (1-9),10 Home (3-7), Quad 1:0-11, Quad 2 3-4, Quad 3, 1-1,Quad 4,0-0
BTT Record: 0-1 Quad 3, SEASON COMPLETE
Rutgers : NET ranking 101 (-1 change), 14-16, 7-13 BIG 0-1 BTT:
BIG:10 Road (3-7),10 Home (4-6), Quad 1:2-9, Quad 2 5-3, Quad 3, 0-1, Quad 4, 0-0
BTT Record: 0-1 Quad 2, SEASON COMPLETE
Illinois : NET ranking 109 (-4 change), 12-21, 7-13 BIG 1-1 BTT:
BIG:10 Road (2-8),10 Home (5-5), Quad 1:3-9, Quad 2 2-4, Quad 3, 2-0, Quad 4, 0-0
BTT Record: 1-1, 0-1 Quad 1, 1-0 Quad 2 SEASON COMPLETE

My tourney projections (based on current NET ranking, remaining SOS, and current trend)
NCAA-- 8 (Michigan, Michigan St. Wisky, Purdue, Iowa, Maryland, Minny, OSU)
NIT- 2 (Indiana-- first four out, Nebby)

And I'll remember nearly embarassing them in the BTT when we played without our best player and thus should have been blown out. Then I will remember then being boatraced by Iowa when we no doubt would have given Iowa a better game if Vic were able to play. To each his own, I guess...
I will give you thd title as the only poster that unequivocally dislikes Illinois more than me. Many dislike them the same as me, but you can really find awesome ways to put perfume on the pig. I admire your unyielding optimism.

I recall many down seasons where my only lasting memory was beating the Illini. Even in some decent seasons for far more momentous moments that beating the Illini, I can recall things about that game. In football, the gleeful moments of Bo Cislak or Lannie running the football. Who can forget the 2000 61-23 pasting of the Illini in a game that wasn’t as close as the score indicated? 2016, we Un-officially ran off most of their Chicago diehards.

What I won’t remember is we “nearly” beat them without our best player and that Iowa boatraced them the next game. Don’t care, bottom line is we lost to a team who’s 2 best players were Freshman. I wish I could look at things the way you do, but I have always been wired as a person that recalls bad losses more than good wins. Unfortunately, we had two very bad losses to them and I have trouble puffing my chest out on their all time losing season when they managed to win the series from NU. I am not at all convinced that we’ll get bragging rights back next season and that makes me sad.

Whether you could care less about what Illinois record is, the national narrative is that our record will be forgotten by next year, yet the Illini's will be remembered for many years (unless it is eclipsed) as the losingest season in the 114-year history of the program.

There is no “national narrative” about either team’s record because both teams were bad and nobody cares outside of internet message boards. They are not discussing this at the halftime CBS desk.

Reactions: NUCat320
There is no “national narrative” about either team’s record because both teams were bad and nobody cares outside of internet message boards. They are not discussing this at the halftime CBS desk.
So what do you think is discussed more locally, a record-breaking year for losses, or our record? For what it is worth, I have seen kore than one general sports publication point out the Illini's 21-loss season. Our 19-loss season? Not so much...

So what do you think is discussed more locally, a record-breaking year for losses, or our record? For what it is worth, I have seen kore than one general sports publication point out the Illini's 21-loss season. Our 19-loss season? Not so much...

To the extent that it’s discussed at all, Illinois. But that’s also because they are significantly more popular than us. I expect it’ll get brief mentions in season preview pieces next year, and again if Illinois is in postseason contention.

I bet Illinois' 21 loss season doesn't get them selected for 14th in the B1G preseason 2019-20 talking head polls.......

I bet Illinois' 21 loss season doesn't get them selected for 14th in the B1G preseason 2019-20 talking head polls.......

Correct, but irrelevant to my question, imo. Record-breaking 21-loss season. Most losses in 114-years. That's newsworthy.

The key is that we have to get healthy and improve as a team to do that. Being down a main, and, with others banged up, I don't think we will get there, but I think the schedule breakdowns show that there is opportunity.

Opportunity to nearly lose out.

Opportunity to nearly lose out.

Ironic that someone bringing up these old threads is someone who lost his screenname to me in the most embarrassing board wager in history. And again, find something here of signficance that I was off the mark about instead of just reposting old threads...

Ironic that someone bringing up these old threads is someone who lost his screenname to me in the most embarrassing board wager in history. And again, find something here of signficance that I was off the mark about instead of just reposting old threads...

Not ironic. Almost feel duty bound. I am the archive monitor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT