ADVERTISEMENT

Bizarre ending to otherwise pedestrian Penn State game

mikewebb68

Oct 24, 2009
Georgia State tried to kick a field goal to avoid the 56-0 shutout, and Franklin calls a time out to ice him! It works so Penn State got their shutout, lol.

Georgia State tried to kick a field goal to avoid the 56-0 shutout, and Franklin calls a time out to ice him! It works so Penn State got their shutout, lol.
As much as I dislike Franklin, I'd do the same thing in his shoes. Nothing gooses your defense like a shutout and you lose the timeouts anyway.

I'm still debating which home game to fly back for: Ped State, Iowa, or Purdue. I've been bad luck for our team against Ped State, but there's no win that I'd want more this season...

Jerk move but this is how the game is played when rankings and positioning are based totally on opinions and showmanship. Many analysts are calling Penn State the #2 team in the country right now behind Alabama. Every little bit counts, including posting a shut out at home. Most voters don't watch the game, they only look at the stats and the score.

As much as I dislike Franklin, I'd do the same thing in his shoes. Nothing gooses your defense like a shutout and you lose the timeouts anyway.

I'm still debating which home game to fly back for: Ped State, Iowa, or Purdue. I've been bad luck for our team against Ped State, but there's no win that I'd want more this season...

What, come on. Franklin was a complete douche for doing that. Karma is a bitch and it will come back to bite him.

Yes! What power 5 champ wouldn't stand tall and proud preserving a Georgia State shutout! What a tone setter for the D!

Finklin for President!

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
What, come on. Franklin was a complete douche for doing that. Karma is a bitch and it will come back to bite him.

Which doesn't change the fact that the Georgia State kicker still missed a field goal of a length I've seen the kicker at Shippensburg University make several times.

Well, I've constantly seen posters on this board say that Fitz should develop more of a "killer" instinct. This is what that looks like.
No, calling a timeout to ice a kicker with a 56 point lead is not a killer instinct, it's being an Ahole. Still running your offense, which is what most ask for, is completely a different animal.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Well, I've constantly seen posters on this board say that Fitz should develop more of a "killer" instinct. This is what that looks like.

No, a killer instinct is hanging 56 points on a team. A douche instinct is calling a timeout at the end of the game to freeze a kicker when your team is winning 56-0. I'm not saying to tell your team to stop playing but calling a timeout to freeze the kicker in that situation is ridiculous.

Hope a team, hopefully NU can be up on Pen. St. by 4 or 5 TD's , score and go for 2. Then follow that up with an on side kick.

Hope a team, hopefully NU can be up on Pen. St. by 4 or 5 TD's , score and go for 2. Then follow that up with an on side kick.
This reminds me of Woody Hayes one year when Ohio State was rolling it up on Michigan late in the game and he went for 2. Asked why after the game, he replied, "Because I couldn't go for 3."

No, a killer instinct is hanging 56 points on a team. A douche instinct is calling a timeout at the end of the game to freeze a kicker when your team is winning 56-0. I'm not saying to tell your team to stop playing but calling a timeout to freeze the kicker in that situation is ridiculous.
Why? If you've ever played on defense, you know that it's a special feeling to shut a team out - no matter what team it is. And if you've lost a shutout due to a garbage time or special teams score, it really irks you.

As with most fans outside of Happy Valley, I dislike Franklin and loathe Ped State. But I understand why he did this and how it likely juiced his defense; I just hope we shut them down as thoroughly as they did Georgia State.

No, calling a timeout to ice a kicker with a 56 point lead is not a killer instinct, it's being an Ahole. Still running your offense, which is what most ask for, is completely a different animal.
Not a Franklin fan. But the opposing team was kicking a useless field goal to avoid a shut-out. Franklin was doing everything possible to protect his D's shut-out. I don't fault him for it. Also, it worked.

No, if he had stuck his first-string defense back into stop their late drive or something, that would have been a douche move. Penn State had subs playing for most of the second half. Franklin is under no obligation to help Georgia State. Bottom line is, the kicker had a chance to make a field goal, and he didn't get it done.

No, if he had stuck his first-string defense back into stop their late drive or something, that would have been a douche move. Penn State had subs playing for most of the second half. Franklin is under no obligation to help Georgia State. Bottom line is, the kicker had a chance to make a field goal, and he didn't get it done.

He did put in better players for the FG try after he called time out:

https://www.landof10.com/penn-state/penn-state-georgia-james-franklin-kicker

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT