ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark v WNBA

docrugby1

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
I saw the replay of the Chicago Sky player knocking over CC. There was a ref within 15" of the incident, but only a common foul was called. The WNBA should immediately suspend the Sky player. CC may be the most important player to enter the league in the recent past and the league and all its players should recognize their futures may depend on the popularity of players like CC.

There looked to be a pretty good crowd at the game, many possibly there to see CC. I know she was an attractive draw at many college games and assume that has carried over to the WNBA. I heard the Sky player explain her philosophy of playing basketball and I hope that her opponents employ the same "rules" against her. Cutting her legs out on a layup will certainly seem like an appropriate lesson.

I will fall back on my rugby experience. Rugby is a brutally violent game, but intentional foul play is rare because retribution awaits at the next ruck

Watching some WNBA games this year and I'd say the players are pretty rough with each other more often than not. Watching Angel Reese get thrown to the ground by her neck suggests it isn't just Clark getting roughed up by her opponents. That player got ejected, so go call there refs.

The refs need to do their jobs. That's really all it comes down to - enforcing the rules properly. We're always going to have a few Draymond Green types that have issues the rules won't deter, but most players will get the message. But it has to be an across the board move. One of the worst things I think can happen out of this is refs being seen as protecting Clark. She can handle her job, just do yours.

The WNBA upgraded Carter's foul to a flagrant, but that should have happened in the game.

If the WNBA becomes the early 80s NBA — a bunch of unathletic goons with some legit superstars sprinkled in, and a ton of dirty play that isn’t called — I might watch a few games.*

*Actually, no I won’t, but it would probably be more entertaining.

Women can be terribly petty and the truth is most of the other players want to see Clark fail out of mere jealousy, regardless of how much it hurts the league.

It doesn’t help when you have people like @CatManTrue saying ridiculous crap like she could play in the NBA.
I don’t really think it was that big a deal. Clark had both feet on the ground. It wasn’t like the other player took a huge running start. It was clearly a flagrant foul but it wasn’t going to knock her out of the game.

Clark needs to play a lot better or the new fans are going to lose interest pretty quickly. If she is just another good or very good player, I don’t think she will be selling out arenas. She needs to be exceptional.

She claimed Clark did something on the other end of the court, like some trash talk. Any evidence of that? Not that it justifies Carters' imbecilic actions. She is a turd.
A breakdown. Definite jawing. Just get your cheap shots in during the flow of the game.

I don’t really think it was that big a deal. Clark had both feet on the ground. It wasn’t like the other player took a huge running start. It was clearly a flagrant foul but it wasn’t going to knock her out of the game.

Clark needs to play a lot better or the new fans are going to lose interest pretty quickly. If she is just another good or very good player, I don’t think she will be selling out arenas. She needs to be exceptional.
She’s leading her team in scoring and assists and has good rebounding numbers too. She’ll keep getting better but the league as to protect their biggest asset as there are a bunch of thugs in the league looking to take her out.

She’s leading her team in scoring and assists and has good rebounding numbers too. She’ll keep getting better but the league as to protect their biggest asset as there are a bunch of thugs in the league looking to take her out.
She’s shooting 35 percent from the field, 29 percent from 3 and is averaging 5.5 turnovers a game. I’m sure she will get better but she’s not very good right now. And like I said, if she’s just good, that won’t sustain her popularity.

And I don’t think a hip check is going to take her out. She caught the other woman with an elbow. This is all pretty silly stuff. Every next big thing gets knocked down early in his or her career. If she becomes a superstar, people will be taking about how you can’t look at her without drawing a foul.

It was a cheap shot but I don't see what the big deal is. Given players accumulate flagrants with a suspension at a certain point (much like soccer does with yellow cards), Carter will be the one shooting herself in the foot if she keeps it up.

Guessing the people all worked up over this never watched Bulls/Pistons in the late 80s.

Reactions: Hkjb
It was a cheap shot but I don't see what the big deal is. Given players accumulate flagrants with a suspension at a certain point (much like soccer does with yellow cards), Carter will be the one shooting herself in the foot if she keeps it up.

Guessing the people all worked up over this never watched Bulls/Pistons in the late 80s.
Seriously.... I don't know why anyone is surprised that teams are going to take it to Clark to test her. A lot of these players have probably also been on the other end of Clark's trash talking before too. As for the bump in question, it was out of line, but not awful. Clark clearly flopped as that hit wasn't nearly hard enough to send her to the floor. You can tell by the way she fell that it was a staged reaction. Welcome to the pros, kid. Now it's up to her to show some toughness and keep improving her game. Heated rivalries are good for the game and will help the WNBA tremendously.

Reactions: macarthur31
You want to call a foul on that - hell, you want to call a flagrant foul on that - I've got no problem. But it wouldn't be the first time nor the last that some "veteran" decided to take matters into her/his own hands to "welcome" a ballyhooed rookie into the league. Says a lot more about Chennedy Carter (what a name!) than Clark.

Naaah, it was tough when they were getting beat up by the Pistons. The finalist Knicks were tough to watch.
That was the best era to watch. Now it's all three point shots, all the time. Steph Curry has ruined basketball!!

(Partly sarcasm....)

The Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan eras of basketball were tough to watch??!!
I loved those battles with the Pistons and Knicks. Those 85-82 wins were beautiful. Seriously. Teams defended. Big men gave out all sorts of abuse. Power forwards were gladiators. Only a handful of guards had the guts to go inside. Teams passed the ball. A lot. 3 pointers were electrifying. Totally different game.

That was the best era to watch. Now it's all three point shots, all the time. Steph Curry has ruined basketball!!

(Partly sarcasm....)
I’d take Joker and Giannis over Eaton and Ewing.

Could you imagine Giannis or Durant being forced to “play center”?

Could you *imagine* if Olajuwon had been allowed to use all his obvious skills?

Also, I’ve watched less than 2 hours of the NBA this season. BUT I AM A PROVOCATEUR!

Reactions: NU Houston and TheC
I’d take Joker and Giannis over Eaton and Ewing.

Could you imagine Giannis or Durant being forced to “play center”?

Could you *imagine* if Olajuwon had been allowed to use all his obvious skills?

Also, I’ve watched less than 2 hours of the NBA this season. BUT I AM A PROVOCATEUR!

Eaton? Mark Eaton? Well yeah, everyone would take Giannis/Jokic over Eaton, who was just a big guy with no offensive skills that I remembered.

Count me (53 years old) among those that preferred 1980s/1990s NBA over the current product, which just feels too clean.

Seeing Olajuwon today (or LeBron back then) would be a lot of fun to see, I'll admit.

Reactions: 1060Ivy
Eaton? Mark Eaton? Well yeah, everyone would take Giannis/Jokic over Eaton, who was just a big guy with no offensive skills that I remembered.

Count me (53 years old) among those that preferred 1980s/1990s NBA over the current product, which just feels too clean.

Seeing Olajuwon today (or LeBron back then) would be a lot of fun to see, I'll admit.
When you’re using Mark Eaton as a stellar example, your argument clearly doesn’t have much to stand on.

• Haha
Reactions: Hungry Jack
You want to call a foul on that - hell, you want to call a flagrant foul on that - I've got no problem. But it wouldn't be the first time nor the last that some "veteran" decided to take matters into her/his own hands to "welcome" a ballyhooed rookie into the league. Says a lot more about Chennedy Carter (what a name!) than Clark.
It does says a lot about Chennedy Carter, but not much of what it is saying is impressive. I'd have a ton of respect if she had said that Clark elbowed her in the face and jawed at her afterwards, so she let her emotions get the best of her. Should have let her shotmaking do the talking and punctuate it with some physical play within the flow of the game. She looked weak by taking an obvious cheap shot and then refusing to answer questions about it. Nothing impressive about that. Here's an idea, how about winning the game. That would send a more impressive message than giving the Fever a free throw in a game you lost by 1.

I'm no Caitlin Clark apologist, but she looked more the part of the savvy vet than Carter. She talked trash, drew a stupid foul, made the foul shot, won the game, and answered questions in a calm and level-headed manner. She's got good media training.

I would recommend the Fever invest in teaching CC some basic fighting skills to let her end cheap shots.
My son was drafted into the NLL(Indoor Lacrosse) and the first practice was devoted to fighting techniques, Caitlin or a teammate needs to elbow Carter in the nose, next time they play

I would recommend the Fever invest in teaching CC some basic fighting skills to let her end cheap shots.
My son was drafted into the NLL(Indoor Lacrosse) and the first practice was devoted to fighting techniques, Caitlin or a teammate needs to elbow Carter in the nose, next time they play
She did elbow her in the nose. That’s kind of what started it.

(Partly sarcasm....)
I don't get the current NBA hate. The talent, athleticism and playmaking are off the charts. The NBA playoffs are must-see TV. Doncic hitting a step back game winner over the defensive player of the year brought back memories of Jordan over Ehlo (and Jordan over Russell). Let go of the past and enjoy the present! :)

I can see why she's getting the treatment. She's overexposed. I don't live in the US, but during a recent trip there Got tired of seeing her every 5 minutes on every screen - and I only had to bear 2 weeks of it. For her to come to the NBA as an 'anointed one' after all that exposure will definitely put a target on her back. That's how the world works - no need to feel terribly sorry for her. She's making a ton of money so she'll be fine, and competitive people can be petty. (Just ask MJ). Also pretty clear that she put extra effort into her fall, after that overzealous hip check. Which is her prerogative.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheC
Let me get this right. Caitlin elbows an opponent in the face, trash talks her after doing so, then when the opponent hip checks her, she puts on an Oscar winning performance and after the game masterly answers questions making the opponent the evil bad person. For this, we want to award her by complaining the other girls are just too mean to her and need to be nicer.

Count me in the “I don’t give a $h!t” category.

Let me get this right. Caitlin elbows an opponent in the face, trash talks her after doing so, then when the opponent hip checks her, she puts on an Oscar winning performance and after the game masterly answers questions making the opponent the evil bad person. For this, we want to award her by complaining the other girls are just too mean to her and need to be nicer.

Count me in the “I don’t give a $h!t” category.
During the game, actually. Or immediately postgame. Certainly, CC got to control the story before ‘not famous’ CC.

I can see why she's getting the treatment. She's overexposed. I don't live in the US, but during a recent trip there Got tired of seeing her every 5 minutes on every screen - and I only had to bear 2 weeks of it. For her to come to the NBA as an 'anointed one' after all that exposure will definitely put a target on her back. That's how the world works - no need to feel terribly sorry for her. She's making a ton of money so she'll be fine, and competitive people can be petty. (Just ask MJ). Also pretty clear that she put extra effort into her fall, after that overzealous hip check. Which is her prerogative.
She makes millions of dollars on endorsements and almost all the other players make below $100,000 in salary. There is a lot more attention on the WNBA because of her but it hasn’t impacted the rest of the players economically yet. And she’s not played great so there has to be some resentment among the other players. Michael, Larry, Magic and LeBron were pretty great right away. If she eventually dominates the WNBA like college and attendance remains high, the resentment will go away. Most athletes respect greatness. I haven’t watched any games, but if the hip check is the worst thing that happens to her, she’ll be fine.

Reactions: Hkjb
If the WNBA wants to be as popular as the NLL, then teaching the players to fight is definitely the right strategy. Otherwise, they should take a page from all major sports, even the NHL, and try to limit the goonish behavior. Diana Taurasi's tough "Wait until she gets to our league" talk might make great soundbites for the unwatchable daytime shows on ESPN and FS1, but this league will rise or fall with the moms and the little girls who love Caitlin Clark (and to a lesser extent Angel Reece and Camilla Cardozo). Regardless of what we tough-talking-sports-fans (tm) think, they want to see their favorites shine.

If the WNBA wants to be as popular as the NLL, then teaching the players to fight is definitely the right strategy. Otherwise, they should take a page from all major sports, even the NHL, and try to limit the goonish behavior. Diana Taurasi's tough "Wait until she gets to our league" talk might make great soundbites for the unwatchable daytime shows on ESPN and FS1, but this league will rise or fall with the moms and the little girls who love Caitlin Clark (and to a lesser extent Angel Reece and Camilla Cardozo). Regardless of what we tough-talking-sports-fans (tm) think, they want to see their favorites shine.
The NHL is a stretch but understand your point. They still have fights where the ref’s just watch. Connor Bedard took some very ugly hits this year. Got his jaw broken. Not all of them were clean.

Last edited:
The NHL is a stretch but understand your point. They still have fights where the ref’s just watch. Connor Bedard took some very ugly hits this year. Got his gas broken. Not all of them were clean.
He was referring to the NLL…indoor lacrosse league. Basically saying Piston-esque basketball will kill any chance the league has at popularity. I agree. This is a golden opportunity for the WNBA and they’re shooting themselves.

The NHL is a stretch but understand your point. They still have fights where the ref’s just watch. Connor Bedard took some very ugly hits this year. Got his gas broken. Not all of them were clean.
Yeah, the current NHL still has some goonishness, but compared to the 70s and 80s (and likely before) it's a garden party.

He was referring to the NLL…indoor lacrosse league. Basically saying Piston-esque basketball will kill any chance the league has at popularity. I agree. This is a golden opportunity for the WNBA and they’re shooting themselves.
He was referring to the NHL with respect to curbing goonishness.

I don’t watch the WNBA so I have no idea how goonish it is. I guess I am surprised we have so many people on this board closely watching.

In any event, this has been great publicity for the league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT